Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 24.
    #701 2 years ago

NFTs (and the like) are all stupid - and when the inevitable recession comes, they’ll all be worthless.

rd

#702 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

The 1980s and 1990s were the two greatest decades in American history.

Aside from the 70s. It was so great it counts for 2.

#703 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Okay, gloves off...
    Video pins, be they on a phone, a tablet, a computer or a full size virtual pin, are 97% as much fun as "real" pinball, without the breakdowns, the cost, or all the space they take up! (And I have 14 of the damned things. I prefer real myself, but I use both.)

There's something about real pinball that is so different in a satisfying way but . . . I got into this hobby playing the pinball arcade and used to have fun competitions with my brother where we'd take a table and see who got the best score in two weeks. This was probably the most fun I've actually had in "pinball" thinking back on it. Don't get me wrong, I love playing real pinball but it's hard to place a value on the pluses of video pinball -- so much cheaper, so much more variety, online leader boards to give meaning to getting better even if it's just trying to crack the top 100. Now with VR, video pinball can be even better. Also, playing video pinball actually makes you feel like you're a decent player.

Anyway, I love having at least one real pinball machine but video pinball is a great way to get variety without having to buy fifteen pins.

#704 2 years ago

You're never getting any return on your vote whether you vote for Republican or Democrat. Being tribal about your useless ideaology because you think "your guys" are going to get it done, is stupid.

#705 2 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

You're never getting any return on your vote whether you vote for Republican or Democrat. Being tribal about your useless ideaology because you think "your guys" are going to get it done, is stupid.

Buy Bitcoin.

#706 2 years ago

Inflation is still too low.

I’m getting tired that so many things are sold out. And I’m not talking about pinball machines.

Try buying anything custom for a house - lead times are insane.

And Covid isn’t a valid excuse anymore. No one where I live (Texas) is “sheltering at home” or any of that Covid excuse BS anymore.

There’s just way too much money around and even if you are willing to spend, everything has an enormous lead time.

Things need to get a lot more expensive. This east block 1980s style waiting months for everything is getting real old.

#707 2 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Republican or Democrat. Being tribal about your useless ideaology because you think "your guys" are going to get it done, is stupid.

I always shake my head when I see these crazy “my guy is best!!! It’s your guys fault!!!” dudes posting.

The reality is, if you were on fire on the side of the road, not one of those guys would stop their limo to piss on you to put the fire out.

That’s what I hate about social media - their algorithms have made the “my team is better than yours!!” thing go to ridiculous levels.

Unplug social media, and the world would be a better place.

That’s probably not an unpopular opinion though.

rd

#708 2 years ago

Bitcoin is basically a game of who will be the last person holding it. Every person who sold who made money because someone else lost out. And anyone who lost money on it is because it doesn't mean anything.

#709 2 years ago

Two locks may be better than one.

15AC15D9-E64F-49C0-AB9A-4FB98F90E693 (resized).jpeg15AC15D9-E64F-49C0-AB9A-4FB98F90E693 (resized).jpeg

#710 2 years ago

I miss wood paneled station wagons.

3DCAE0BC-33E8-47E7-8B4F-14DA9CC5687C (resized).jpeg3DCAE0BC-33E8-47E7-8B4F-14DA9CC5687C (resized).jpeg
    #711 2 years ago

The majority of themes for modern pinball machines are in bad taste and don't appeal to anyone under the age of 40 (and that is pushing it)

#712 2 years ago
    Quoted from prl867:

I miss wood paneled station wagons.
    [quoted image]

Same!

a8b6994c34a471f912f858093180ce45 (resized).jpga8b6994c34a471f912f858093180ce45 (resized).jpg
    #713 2 years ago

a nerds favorite the PT Loser

IMG_8317 (resized).JPGIMG_8317 (resized).JPG
    #714 2 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Anyway, I love having at least one real pinball machine but video pinball is a great way to get variety without having to buy fifteen pins.

Buying fifteen pins is pretty much out of reach for a lot of people these days. With gas prices climbing, more people are going to op for sticking around home and dumping money into home entertainment (i.e. pins), further driving pin values up. The Pinball Arcade satisfies my craving for the older Williams/Ballys games that I don’t have the space, money, or accessibility to play a real example.

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from luigi90:

The majority of themes for modern pinball machines are in bad taste and don't appeal to anyone under the age of 40 (and that is pushing it)

Agreed. Today’s themes are too niche and lack universal appeal.

Are you a hardcore fan of early Godzilla films? Yeah, me neither.

#716 2 years ago

I used to love and respect EM machines.

I’ve grown to despise them.

#717 2 years ago

Adding "LAMBO" doors for the front seat occupants would be way kool making a Tezlamborian

tezla X (resized).jpgtezla X (resized).jpg
    #718 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

Bitcoin..... Every person who sold who made money because someone else lost out. ......

Ummmm ... not an accurate statement at all
    Don't even have to know about crypto to know that statement is illogical

#719 2 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Both teams have no shortage of self serving Bastards !

#720 2 years ago
    Quoted from luigi90:

What would appeal to the <40 crowd?

I totally understand the old fart themes (being 50 myself) because that’s the demographic that has the money and nostalgia to spend $10k+ on a toy but what is there for a 20 something?

Spiderman? Or any Marvel/DC theme? It seems that the only sure theme 2022 is a superhero theme.

A Billie Eilish music pin?

I would probably buy a Dua Lipa pin but not sure if her regular fans have the money or desire to buy a pinball machine.

#721 2 years ago

Take pinball as they say Mainstream and introduce these new titles will guarantee you a shot at an LE as the sales volume will drop and distros will be sitting on Dale jr pins again.By the way I am a Nascar and Dale fan just an example about sales or lack of.

#722 2 years ago

I really like salt. I really like carmel.

I hate salted carmel.

#723 2 years ago

It is reasonable for distributors to charge over MSRP in todays unique market. Supply, therefore inventory, is down for most of them. This impacts revenue.

Here is a totally fictional example. If you normally sell 25 games a month at a profit of $500 per game that’s $12,500.00 When they can only get 5-10 games per month, selling them at the same markup is now generating $5,000.00
    Guess what? The bills don’t go away and employees don’t offer to take less pay. In this very simple version of economics, it’s hard to survive.

Choosing not to pay high prices is reasonable. Assuming the distributors are mean spirited money grabbers is, in my opinion, short sighted.

#724 2 years ago

The best prices on pinball machines is on Ebarf

#725 2 years ago

EM's are just really boring
    I liked them growing up when it was the only game in town, but these days it's impossible for me to enjoy them

#726 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

It is reasonable for distributors to charge over MSRP in todays unique market. Supply, therefore inventory, is down for most of them. This impacts revenue.
    The bills don’t go away and employees don’t offer to take less pay. In this very simple version of economics, it’s hard to survive.

Selling above MSRP can always be justified if market conditions allow.

Your reasoning though is problematic because our economic system doesn’t really care if the distributor “has bills to pay”. I certainly don’t care how much the distributors makes or doesn’t make. It’s none of my business and if (s)he makes out like a bandit, good for her/him. If the distributor’s revenue is bad due to shortages, well, tough luck. Everyone has their own struggles.

If the market supports higher prices than MSRP, the MSRP is too low and the manufacturer should raise the MSRP. Why should Stern leave money on the table? To keep a distributor in business? Well, to a certain extent, yes, if that distributor is truly adding value to Stern’s business. But that’s up to Stern’s strategy people. Maybe it’s time to just sell direct? Or raise MSRP to a point that optimizes both Stern’s (or JJP etc.) profit while keeping distributors, if needed, happy.

But just saying “they deserve to sell above MSRP *because* they have few products to sell” sounds ultra entitled.

#727 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Selling above MSRP can always be justified if market conditions allow.
    Your reasoning though is problematic because our economic system doesn’t really care if the distributor “has bills to pay”. I certainly don’t care how much the distributors makes or doesn’t make. It’s none of my business and if (s)he makes out like a bandit, good for her/him. If the distributor’s revenue is bad due to shortages, well, tough luck. Everyone has their own struggles.
    If the market supports higher prices than MSRP, the MSRP is too low and the manufacturer should raise the MSRP. Why should Stern leave money on the table? To keep a distributor in business? Well, to a certain extent, yes, if that distributor is truly adding value to Stern’s business. But that’s up to Stern’s strategy people. Maybe it’s time to just sell direct? Or raise MSRP to a point that optimizes both Stern’s (or JJP etc.) profit while keeping distributors, if needed, happy.
    But just saying “they deserve to sell above MSRP *because* they have few products to sell” sounds ultra entitled.

MSRP is only a suggestion, it's right there in the name

#728 2 years ago

I shake my head at people who sign the bottom of every post they make, like it's a legal document. It's a godamm meaningless message on a pinball forum and your identity is already revealed on the very first line of your post! (Exhale)

#729 2 years ago

Pinball tables are, in general, too hard. They are tuned for expert players and because of this lack accessibility.

#730 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

Pinball tables are, in general, too hard. They are tuned for expert players and because of this lack accessibility.

Pool table.. ping pong table... pinball MACHINE
    *get better at pinball*

1 week later
    #731 2 years ago

I would rather see Wilson Phillips in concert than any of the headliners currently on the Las Vegas Strip.

#732 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Pool table.. ping pong table... pinball MACHINE
    *get better at pinball*

I definitely got “table” in my head due to Zen Pinball / Pinball FX being my gateway drug to the hobby. I tend to go with machine or game now, or just call it a pin. But isn’t there also historical precedence for pinball table? I thought I read that early games were referred to as pinball tables.

Also, the post you’re responding to is coming from the perspective of someone who’s already good at pinball, speaking on behalf of beginners, if I’m not mistaken. Whenever beginners are discussed on here, I feel like the “curse of knowledge” comes out on full display from most of the pinsiders who respond, where things that seem painfully obvious to someone who has already attained expertise are erroneously believed to also be painfully obvious to someone who has none.

I guess maybe that’s my unpopular opinion: just because you look at a new machine and immediately understand what to do doesn’t make it reasonable to expect it to be obvious to everyone else.

#733 2 years ago

If someone refers to a pin as a pinball table, I don't lose sleep over it. Every other inanimate object that has four legs is called a table (kitchen table, end table, coffee table, etc.). Exception is nightstand.

#734 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Exception is nightstand.

I call my night stand a table.

#735 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Every other inanimate object that has four legs

that you don't sit on

Quoted from Ryguy80:

is called a table

#736 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

If someone refers to a pin as a pinball table, I don't lose sleep over it. Every other inanimate object that has four legs is called a table (kitchen table, end table, coffee table, etc.).

Well, those actually ARE tables, so....

#737 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

If someone refers to a pin as a pinball table, I don't lose sleep over it. Every other inanimate object that has four legs is called a table (kitchen table, end table, coffee table, etc.). Exception is nightstand.

I definitely don't lose sleep over it. But chairs, desks, shelves, stools, media units, furniture all have legs. None are considered a table!

#738 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

I definitely got “table” in my head due to Zen Pinball / Pinball FX being my gateway drug to the hobby. I tend to go with machine or game now, or just call it a pin. But isn’t there also historical precedence for pinball table? I thought I read that early games were referred to as pinball tables.
    Also, the post you’re responding to is coming from the perspective of someone who’s already good at pinball, speaking on behalf of beginners, if I’m not mistaken. Whenever beginners are discussed on here, I feel like the “curse of knowledge” comes out on full display from most of the pinsiders who respond, where things that seem painfully obvious to someone who has already attained expertise are erroneously believed to also be painfully obvious to someone who has none.
    I guess maybe that’s my unpopular opinion: just because you look at a new machine and immediately understand what to do doesn’t make it reasonable to expect it to be obvious to everyone else.

I think new people or beginners are just naive and self conscious. Nobody actually cares about how good you are at pinball. In fact, lots of experienced players aren't good at pinball.. telling someone to get good at pinball is just a joke and honestly doesn't affect the overall experience of the hobby. Take it with a grain of salt because nobody actually cares how good you are unless you're competitive and in a tourney! Even then i'm just there for a good time and don't get upset when i don't win.

#739 2 years ago

I thought I was
    The Bally table king <==============
    But I just handed
    My pinball crown to him
    Even on my favorite table <===============
    He can beat my best
    His disciples lead him in
    And he just does the rest
    He's got crazy flipper fingers
    Never seen him fall
    That deaf, dumb and blind kid
    Sure plays a mean pinball

Besides, it resembles a "table" a lot more than it does a "machine." And, machines perform work, which is the opposite of the function of a game!

(Although, that Who song's premise is ludicrous. A deaf and blind person could not possibly excel at pinball.)

#740 2 years ago

(Although, that Who song's premise is ludicrous. A deaf and blind person could not possibly excel at pinball.)

However the "dumb" reference seems to be substantiated by some empirical data.

#741 2 years ago

you do not know the power of the force

#742 2 years ago

Pinside:
    A.Worships stern like it can't do wrong.
    B.90s Williams/bally seems the defining metric to measure up any modern pin.
    C. If you talk about rising prices people want more in prices.
    D. Of it isn't a flow fest it's a bad game.
    More later >

Added over 2 years ago:

E. Orginal themes idea is a no go, it's gotta be a theme where streamers cannot stream an entire deal including muting the music.

Want cheaper pins no more licenses.

#743 2 years ago

I thought I was
    The Bally table king <==============
    But I just handed
    My pinball crown to him
    Even on my favorite table <===============
    He can beat my best
    His disciples lead him in
    And he just does the rest
    He's got crazy flipper fingers
    Never seen him fall
    That deaf, dumb and blind kid
    Sure plays a mean pinball
    Besides, it resembles a "table" a lot more than it does a "machine." And, machines perform work, which is the opposite of the function of a game!

Fun fact:
    All Gottlieb tables in that movie.

#744 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Fun fact:
    All Gottlieb tables in that movie.

The lyrics were originally “I thought I was the Gottlieb table king”

Gottlieb were the kings of pinball back then.

But Mr Gottlieb wouldn’t give them permission to use the name.

So they changed it to Bally.

The rest is history …

rd

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Pinside:
    A.Worships stern like it can't do wrong.
    B.90s Williams/bally seems the defining metric to measure up any modern pin.
    C. If you talk about rising prices people want more in prices.
    D. Of it isn't a flow fest it's a bad game.
    More later >

Added yesterday: E. Orginal themes idea is a no go, it's gotta be a theme where streamers cannot stream an entire deal including muting the music.
    Want cheaper pins no more licenses.

If it's not a good tournament pin, it's a bad game as well.

#746 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

If it's not a good tournament pin, it's a bad game as well.

Tournament play reduces pinball machines to their lowest shot minimums and leaves out the rest.

Designer: let's put these drop targets over here for fun and challenge.
    Tournament player: not worth my time.

If the designer did not want you hit it, he wouldn't put on the playfeild.

Why does tournament play now get to dictate what pinball does.

#747 2 years ago

Hydrogen powered cars are the bomb

#748 2 years ago

I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating.

#749 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Why does tournament play now get to dictate what pinball does

And tournament players exhibit the most “group think” I’ve ever seen in any group ever.

And I can say that - I’m one of them. However I’m not in the cult. LOL.

If one of the leading players says a game “rules” - then it is the best thing ever.

If one of the leading players says a game “sucks” - then it is the worst game ever.

It seems nobody in pinball (this really extends past tournament players) is capable of using their own brain to make their own decision. Everyone just parrots what some “higher guy” says. Most of the naysayers have never even played the game they’re discussing.

It’s one of the real big turn offs of the hobby for me, to be honest.

rd

#750 2 years ago

The only time in my entire life that I felt passionately proud to be an American, and volunteered countless hours to the party/campaign and religiously followed political news every single day for 4 years was when President Trump was in office.

Flying me and my my kids out to see the inauguration live and singing God Bless the USA with Lee Greenwood and the First Family Elect in front of the Lincoln Memorial the night before was crazy expensive, but those memories were worth every penny.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 24.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread/page/15?hl=antennaman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.