Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.
    #501 2 years ago

Full contact curling would almost be worth watching.

#502 2 years ago

Most pinball owners do not know what HUO means.

FYI - it means that a machine has been in a house since it was made.

Very few old machines were sold to private people.

That old POS that’s been in your house for two years with lock bar holes and coin door wear is NOT F**KING HOME USE ONLY!

rd

** probably none of my 100+ old pinballs are HUO. I could care less. My point is don’t claim something is something it clearly isn’t. **

#503 2 years ago

Olympic bi-athelon needs bigger badder guns. I suggest .30 caliber and belt fed. Make those skiers carry some real wieght

#504 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Curling should be a prime time sporting event.

Mixed doubles is more fun to watch than a standard match.

#505 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Mixed doubles is more fun to watch than a standard match.

It could be made even more interesting if each team was required to consist of ex-spouses.

#506 2 years ago
    Quoted from AntennaMan:

It could be made even more interesting if each team was required to consist of ex-spouses.

It would be more interesting if each team were litigants in small claims court, and the match determined the verdict.

#507 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

That old POS that’s been in your house for two years with lock bar holes and coin door wear is NOT F**KING HOME USE ONLY!
    rd

There are NIB games with lock bars.
    But hey, maybe you’d rather play a thrashed HUO without lockbar holes rather than a NIB with holes

My opinion:

I don’t give a rats ass about the cabinet. I play the playfield, not the cabinet.

I enjoy Pinball2000 and I appreciate that others don’t so that I can afford to buy them.

#508 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Curling should be a prime time sporting event.

right up there with golf

#509 2 years ago

Toppers are ridiculous.

#510 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Quoted from ViperTim:

But hey, maybe you’d rather play a thrashed HUO without lockbar holes rather than a NIB with holes
    My opinion:
    I don’t give a rats ass about the cabinet. I play the playfield, not the cabinet.
    I enjoy Pinball2000 and I appreciate that others don’t so that I can afford to buy them.

I have played routed games that were immaculate and HUO games that were trashed.
    It all depends on how good they look currently.

#511 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have played routed games that were immaculate and HUO games that were trashed.

#Truth

I picked up a routed GOTG pro that was filthy. A little novus 2 and it looks and plays as good as new save for standard dimpling. New Stern playfields hold up better than they are often given credit for.

#512 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

The current level of climate change we are going through is over exaggerated.

Stated and upvoted with confidence on behalf of pinside’s resident climate experts

#513 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Stated and upvoted with confidence on behalf of pinside’s resident climate experts

They’ve done their own research…

0952764A-CCAC-470D-A86B-40C7928493E4 (resized).jpeg0952764A-CCAC-470D-A86B-40C7928493E4 (resized).jpeg
    #514 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

The current level of climate change we are going through is over exaggerated.

The term climate change is silly. Of course climate changes.
    Assuming the cause of the specific climate change in the current tiny time period in the long history of earth is one thing with a simple solution…

Now that’s just crazy.

#515 2 years ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

No shit. Most people know that some WPC95s models came out with factory lock bars.

But most pins didn’t.

Quoted from ViperTim:

Quoted from Daditude:

You guys missed my point.

I would say none of my 100+ old games are HUO. I couldn’t give a rats ass. Absolutely no f**ks at all. My last two pins were $400 and $800 buck beaters.

The point was DONT CLAIM SOMETHING IS SOMETHING IT ISN’T. Actual Home Use Only old games are a unicorn. But like half the ads on Pinside for 80s and 90s games claim HUO.

Like this ad where the dude claims “HUO” and “flawless”. Ok … sure ….

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-trade-huo-road-show

rd

#516 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

The term climate change is silly. Of course climate changes.
    Assuming the cause of the specific climate change in the current tiny time period in the long history of earth is one thing with a simple solution…
    Now that’s just crazy.

XbYOUoA.gifXbYOUoA.gif
    #517 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

You guys missed my point.

Bruh. I got your point. We’re cool

#518 2 years ago

95% of people who buy EHOH are spotty nerd basement dwellers who are no good with real chicks… lol

#519 2 years ago

Grown men asking for Pokemon themed pinballs need to have a long hard look in the mirror.

#520 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Like this ad where the dude claims “HUO” and “flawless”. Ok … sure ….

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-trade-huo-road-show

rd

You beat me to it!! Lol, this RS looks very, very nice. But HUO? Naw... Guess the head got the big ding unboxing it. 1st owner must've used quarters, as the coin door slots, and return have some wear etc etc. Definitely very nice machine, but not HUO. Personally, I think it stinks, as I remember when I was new to the hobby, it made me want the game more (the HUO tag), and maybe even overpay a bit. Then at some point, hopefully by a "buddy" and not a disappointed buyer, you learn the lesson we all learned at some point. It's kind of a quagmire as you eluded to, prior to the last few years, there were very few pins purchased by private buyers. 10 years ago, I wished the term didn't exist. Now, it definitely has a place and valid meaning, but still gets thrown around as just another way to say "I believe it to be a very nice machine..." for the older machines.

#521 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The point was...

Do you sometimes buy long distance without seeing the game in person first? That would help explain things. I never buy long distance and whatever the owner claims is used only to judge the seller. My eyes will tell me the actual condition of the game. The ad you linked set off red flags even before I got to the pics.

'The board was recently serviced and recapped—future proofed. Solder reflowed on various boards to ensure it didn’t have any cold solder joints on those boards.'

Yikes. Seller (and game) is suspect on a number of levels. In person buy only, if I really want the game. Didn't look at all the pics, but the playfield sure looks nice. Shooter lane doesn't match coin slots.

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Do you sometimes buy long distance without seeing the game in person first?

Yeah - I live 8,000 miles from where all the pinball machines are.

rd

#523 2 years ago

US "football" is way overrated and fans of it are enabling brain damage for their dumb entertainment.

#524 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

fans of it are enabling brain damage for their dumb entertainment

Yup. We know.

#525 2 years ago

Pinball is more fun with ball saves turned off. All of them.

#526 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

US "football" is way overrated and fans of it are enabling brain damage for their dumb entertainment.

Well as the father of a college US “football” player I ,shockingly, disagree with the second part of your opinion. But given the spirit of the thread I’ll bite my tongue.

#527 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Brussel sprouts kick ass

I prefer liver. Not.

#528 2 years ago

There are way too many people today with way too strong opinions on subjects they don’t actually understand - spouting them like they are experts.

#529 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

There are way too many people today with way too strong opinions on subjects they don’t actually understand - spouting them like they are experts.

100%

ie, pinball nerds thinking they know more about climate than actual climate scientists.

#530 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Stephen Colbert is way overrated, causes brain damage to anyone who watches his show.

#531 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Grown men asking for Pokemon themed pinballs need to have a long hard look in the mirror.

Grown men who define their “manliness” from the themes of the pinball machines they enjoy, need to have a much longer and harder look in that mirror.

#532 2 years ago

I don't consider myself a "collector". I don't "have to have" any game. Yeah after 20+ years in the hobby we have about 20 games. If we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment we'd probably have 1.
    Well maybe 2. Dining rooms are overrated.

#533 2 years ago

Cancer charity’s are the biggest scam in the world !

#535 2 years ago

For an actually unpopular opinion, comparing EMs and modern pins might not be apples and oranges, but it is lemons and limes. They were built with different design ideas in mind, and while it’s perfectly okay to prefer one over the other, saying new games are worse than old ones (or vice versa) because they don’t have the same characteristics seems pointless because they’re just different.

For what feels like a really unpopular opinion here, I think mods are like wraps on a car: I’ll laugh at what some people think I’ll pay for it when trying to resell them, but outside that, I really don’t mind them and some actually look cool, even the crazy ones.

#536 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

100%
    ie, pinball nerds thinking they know more about climate than actual climate scientists.

There's too many Scientist in this country, who are all about the money ! They'd sell their own mother's if there's a chance they would get a huge research grant out of it. They need to be constantly questioned,since their motives aren't always about helping mankind.
    It's scary how people trust them with blind obedience! Given enough money and they'll advocate anything.

#537 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

There are way too many experts today whose impartiality is biased by pecuniary interests and whose doomsday-esque claims should be taken with nothing less than a healthy dose of scepticism.

#538 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

There are way too many experts today whose impartiality is biased by pecuniary interests and whose doomsday-esque claims should be taken with nothing less than a healthy dose of scepticism.

Agreed. I’m a scientist and an ‘expert’ with decades of experience. I get things wrong at times and I’m not afraid to admit it. Unlike many of my colleagues who would rather spend their time and energy attempting to prove themselves right for the payday instead of admitting it’s time to move on.

#539 2 years ago

Curling is an absurd game and should not even be called a sport

#540 2 years ago

I don't correct people's grammar, but it does drive me nuts

Double negative = positive
    "I don't want none" actually means that you do want some

also
    "I could care less" means you have more room for less caring
    vs when you are out of cares and you "Could not care less"

#541 2 years ago

I love it when this thread goes off the rails

(Not really - but you get it in the context of an unpopular opinion thread)

#542 2 years ago

Modern Family is just Arrested Development for the less intelligent.

#543 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Modern Family is just Arrested Development for the less intelligent.

They should never have brought back arrested development. The netflix episodes were rough to watch

#544 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

They should never have brought back arrested development. The netflix episodes were rough to watch

My friend and I loved seasons 1-3. When #4 came out he had an online countdown to the day. Then the day hits, we grab a 12 pack, and the first episode is kind of funny. But then you get a George/Oscar episode and you realize each episode is a “where are they now” which loses the ensemble cast aspect that made it great.

But at the same time, my friend’s pipe burst and his basement flooded. It was such an omen that the season was to be skipped.

Fast forward years later and my son now loves it and we watched the “remix” of Season 4 where they stitched parts together so you don’t get standalone episodes and it was fine. Some lulls, but overall was really fun. “And she never even saw the license plate” was an absolute dagger!

#545 2 years ago

i an ging to BUY a CYBERTRUCK and SAVE the EARTH GO GREEN

#546 2 years ago
    Elon (resized).jpgElon (resized).jpg
    #547 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Curling is an absurd game and should not even be called a sport

I've curled and it is a blast and very much a sport. I'm sure some curlers are saying similar things about pinball.

#548 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I've curled and it is a blast and very much a sport. I'm sure some curlers are saying similar things about pinball.

I see the similarities between the two. Both involve strategy on shot placement and using objects on the playfield/surface to get from point A to point B, whether it is a silver ball or stone.

#549 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Looks like it's a blast and lots of fun - not a sport
    pinball, also not a sport - Pinballers definitely not athletes

#550 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:Looks like it's a blast and lots of fun - not a sport
    pinball, also not a sport - Pinballers definitely not athletes

Gatekeeping athletics is a hilariously ancient tradition. Someone always has to draw the line where "that's just not physical enough"

I don't know about you but dropping down to one knee for any prolonged period of time, or sweeping a broom for that matter, both seem pretty physical to me.

But of course, only "INSERT YOUR TRUE GOD HERE" can be classified as a "SPORTSBALL WORD THING"

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread/page/11?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.