Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 272 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by Harvester
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 9.34.48?PM (resized).jpeg
    709a09d2-879a-11ed-a75d-100e23d7ea4d (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    modmonk (resized).jpg
    F1E0DF16-C194-461D-8F17-9EEFDE979E3F (resized).jpeg
    73344-2 (resized).jpg
    6AFE43F9-50EF-4A7E-8966-DDBEE0CD4C3E (resized).jpeg
    288851314_4936085766501368_1251805972361615726_n (resized).jpg
    There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 1 year ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Tournament/PAPA does more harm than good for Pinball as a whole

How so? I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious what type of harm you mean?

#202 1 year ago

technology in pinball should serve gameplay. Toys and fancy DMDs and Video screens that interrupt gameplay flow are tedious gimmicks for overgrown children that quickly get old, break easily, and mostly serve to increase profits for manufacturers. Real men play pro.

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

technology in pinball should serve gameplay. Toys and fancy DMDs and Video screens that interrupt gameplay flow are tedious gimmicks for overgrown children that quickly get old, break easily, and mostly serve to increase profits for manufacturers. Real men play pro.

Fact!

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

How else can I watch the movie the game is themed after while I play pinball?

#205 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

This is probably closer to popular than unpoplular opinion.

#206 1 year ago

dup..ignore

#207 1 year ago

Tournaments reduce play to finding the quickest way to score like playing Space Shuttle and only shooting for the drops and spinner. Some games get neutered or hacked to adhere to some arbitrary idea of what is best for competition. There is a fairly steep learning curve that requires specific game knowledge which becomes as important as good general playing skills. This learning curve, IMO, is a barrier to getting more people interested. Poor sportsmanlike behavior and complaints from people that have no idea what it takes to maintain a lineup of games also get on my nerves. For me, the extensive rules and egos suck the fun out of it..sometimes. In general, I'd prefer to play with friends with an occasional wager.

It's also saddening that most tournaments do not include EM games except for a few from the 70's. It often feels like it's the same 8 to 10 modern games. I'd love to see a tournament where the players come in expecting modern Sterns but instead get a lineup that includes a bunch of 50's and 60's EM's, cocktail pins and a few obscure system 80's....and Future Spa..lol

#208 1 year ago

Fox Cities has exactly that kind of line-up.

#209 1 year ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

Tournaments reduce play to finding the quickest way to score like playing Space Shuttle and only shooting for the drops and spinner. Some games get neutered or hacked to adhere to some arbitrary idea of what is best for competition. There is a fairly steep learning curve that requires specific game knowledge which becomes as important as good general playing skills. This learning curve, IMO, is a barrier to getting more people interested. Poor sportsmanlike behavior and complaints from people that have no idea what it takes to maintain a lineup of games also get on my nerves. For me, the extensive rules and egos suck the fun out of it..sometimes. In general, I'd prefer to play with friends with an occasional wager.

I'm as guilty as anyone, I suppose, since my technique for our local Space Shuttle is catch ball, hit spinner, repeat.
    That being said, I agree: gaming the system to get as many IFPA points as possible, getting emotional and flipping out when you don't perform well, rage-tilting, etc can all take the fun out of it. Very poor way of attracting newer people, as well.
    Another pet peeve is people who say "x is a bad game because it's a poor tournament game." Who cares, as long as it's fun? More devalued games for me, I guess.

Quoted from bonzo71:

It's also saddening that most tournaments do not include EM games except for a few from the 70's. It often feels like it's the same 8 to 10 modern games. I'd love to see a tournament where the players come in expecting modern Sterns but instead get a lineup that includes a bunch of 50's and 60's EM's, cocktail pins and a few obscure system 80's....and Future Spa..lol

Perhaps it's different for different markets, but I see a lot fewer EMs come up for sale in my area, thus they come up less in tournaments. I do agree that they should be included in tournaments whenever possible, though. Also, I don't know any EM collectors, so any opportunity to play some EMs is welcome.

This is probably the worst aspect: it seems like there's so much reliance on ball save for some players. "I hate x because it has no ball save." Just disappointing. Maybe it's a rude thing to say, but if you don't want the ball to drain, don't let it: careful nudging, slap-saves, etc can save just about everything besides STDM drains. If it still drains, well, that's pinball. There's plenty of video game communities around for those who are bothered by pinball's mechanical aspects.
    Also, aren't tournament directors always looking for ways to keep game times down on tournament games? Easiest way: bring on the classics!

#210 1 year ago

I bet they're glad we have global warming !

709a09d2-879a-11ed-a75d-100e23d7ea4d (resized).jpeg709a09d2-879a-11ed-a75d-100e23d7ea4d (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #211 1 year ago

Literally chuckling out loud at people getting worked up about a pinball awards youtube show.

Like, you REALLY care at all?

And the organizers making a big deal about it with a "press release"

1 month later
    #212 1 year ago

Speaking of awards. How did the Pinball show receive the best podcast award? Talk about an inside job lol.

It never fails, each and every time I decide to give it a listen, when I’ve exhausted my other podcasts, I hear so much childish bullshit.

The latest podcast was Zach acting gay towards pinball machines and den den. Talking about how pinball machines give him orgasms. What the fuck kind of shit is this?

#213 1 year ago

IFPA is broken and discourages new players from participating.
    Weekly Tournaments are a way of gatekeeping and doesn't provide a fun environment for newer or curious players.

#214 1 year ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Weekly Tournaments are a way of gatekeeping and doesn't provide a fun environment for newer or curious players.

Can you elaborate?
    For example, I thought the whole idea of getting points based more on how often you play rather than how well you play was supposed to encourage people who aren't as good to keep attending.

#215 1 year ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Would love to hear any feedback on how to fix this.

We review our 'new player' stats every year worrying about whether we're hitting that wall of having found everyone out there that wants to play competitive pinball.

For 2022, 45% of the players that participated in an IFPA sanctioned event were first-timers. This is the second highest percentage over the last 10 years (2018 was slightly better at 47% first-timers).

#216 1 year ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

That hasn't been my experience at all. Weekly tournaments and weekly leagues are the absolute best ways for newer players to dip a toe in the competitive pool. Less people, less competition and less pressure than larger events. As mentioned, please share what you're seeing. What is going on in your area?

#217 1 year ago

Hey, take it eslwhere with your off-topic posting. This is for unpopular opinions, not helping to solve them.

#218 1 year ago

Foo Fighters is a very bland band to my ears. Seems like there's no nuance to their music, just a wall of undiscernible guitars with vocals too melodic for me. Like it's heavy metal for moms.

And I hate any song about "Learning to Fly". Such a fucking lame cliche. That means you too Tom Petty and Gilmour's Pink Floyd.

#219 1 year ago

that sapphire totan looks god awful

#220 1 year ago

Emily Ratajkowski is overrated.

#221 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Emily Ratajkowski is overrated.

I don't know who that is.

#222 1 year ago

The use of bill of materials within the community. First off, BOM is an acronym not an initialism, so if you’re gonna use it, say the word. More importantly, a BOM contains all raw materials of an end product, and therefore not a great product to describe the cost or amount of coils/mechs/toys/etc… A large BOM could simply be full of fasteners… rant over

#223 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

The use of bill of materials within the community. First off, BOM is an acronym not an initialism, so if you’re gonna use it, say the word. More importantly, a BOM contains all raw materials of an end product, and therefore not a great product to describe the cost or amount of coils/mechs/toys/etc… A large BOM could simply be full of fasteners… rant over

Every time I hear a Podcaster say "BOM", my brain hears "bomb" and wonder WTF they're talking about.

#224 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I don't know who that is.

Exactly

Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

that sapphire totan looks god awful

I'd rather quit pinball than be forced to own the TOTAN Saphire or NGG 2.0

#225 1 year ago

The work of Tournament Directors and the pinball techs for shows and venues should be celebrated way more.

#226 1 year ago

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is not a "brutal" game like I've heard a lot of complaints about. I think it's just complaints from shitty players.

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Every time I hear a Podcaster say "BOM" … wonder WTF they're talking about.

Most of the time, even they don’t know what they’re talking about.

rd

#228 1 year ago

While I like what I see with the new JJP The Godfather pin, I think the movie is highly overrated (and the second two are borderline not good at all).

1 week later
    #229 1 year ago

That Roger Sharp pinball movie has been available on Torrents for a few days now. Watching it later while I work.

#230 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

That Roger Sharp pinball movie has been available on Torrents for a few days now. Watching it later while I work.

So what's your unpopular opinion? Just a place holder, perhaps?

#231 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

So what's your unpopular opinion? Just a place holder, perhaps?

Guys around here are uptight about torrents.

I watched about a half hour of it so far. It’s a chick flick with a single mom who starts to date again. I can’t stay interested watching it by myself.

1 week later
    #232 1 year ago

Watch the whole thing and then bitch about it.

#233 1 year ago

Here's a bitch. I used to use torrents back in 2001 until I got a virus and had to replace my computer. Never again and PRAISE LARS!

#234 1 year ago

Hollywood or wherever they produce movies hasn’t made one worth watching in 40 years. It’s all crap.

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Hard to find a game I enjoy less than Funhouse.
    [quoted image]

F14

A true turd to play - never mind the sucky warmongering theme.

5 months later
    #236 7 months ago

DE Guns & Roses is SO much better than JJP GnR.

#237 7 months ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

DE Guns & Roses is SO much better than JJP GnR.

I thought that was the popular opinion.

#238 7 months ago

Looks better.

#239 7 months ago

I used to really like Fleetwood Mac music. I feel the music has not aged well and I’m pretty tired of them now. Enough to the point that if they come in the radio, I often change the station.

Here’s one even more unpopular. I downright hate The Rolling Stones music and always have. I guess Mic’s voice just doesn’t do it for me. There is one single song by them I like, and I admit I like it a lot, Hang Fire. And no, I don’t like what I’ve heard of the new album either.

Joe

#240 7 months ago

I too could not care less about the Stones, but add to the list the Beatles, Elvis, and most of all Bruce Springsteen.

#241 7 months ago

The internet was better when it was mostly nerds using it. I'm not quite graybeard enough to remember Usenet's Eternal September, but *do* remember when little fansites run by random enthusiasts were the norm and there were no juggernaut corporations like Facebook running everything.

#242 7 months ago
    Quoted from TylerTheTired:

The internet was better when it was mostly nerds using it. I'm not quite graybeard enough to remember Usenet's Eternal September, but *do* remember when little fansites run by random enthusiasts were the norm and there were no juggernaut corporations like Facebook running everything.

FTP rules, HTTP drools!

#243 7 months ago

I enjoy the smell of cow manure.

#244 7 months ago

I root for the end of humanity

#245 7 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I root for the end of humanity

I used to be a lot more sympathetic and empathetic to mankind as a whole before my Boomer family got on Facebook.

Now, I care about maybe 3 people outside of my immediate family.

#246 7 months ago

I am sick of Travis Kelce, Jason Kelce, old lady Kelce, their damn soup commercials, on and on. Please, just play football and spare me your presence in any other realm. I don't mind sports people doing a few commercials and being in the media as regards their performance and related items. But enough is enough, there's a saturation point. I can't turn on my TV, even to programming not pertaining to sports, without seeing these yahoos. And up until recently I was neutral on Taylor Swift, didn't listen to her music but figured if she could get rich doing what she did, more power to her. Now I'm sick of her too. So what do they do? Combine forces in some sort of unholy cabal of over-exposed simpletons.

#247 7 months ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

I used to really like Fleetwood Mac music. I feel the music has not aged well and I’m pretty tired of them now. Enough to the point that if they come in the radio, I often change the station.

I sorta agree except I never really liked Fleetwood Mac music except when Peter Green was a member. Even worse was Stevie Nicks solo stuff.

#248 7 months ago
    Quoted from Buckeye82:

I am sick of Travis Kelce, Jason Kelce, old lady Kelce, their damn soup commercials, on and on. Please, just play football and spare me your presence in any other realm. I don't mind sports people doing a few commercials and being in the media as regards their performance and related items. But enough is enough, there's a saturation point. I can't turn on my TV, even to programming not pertaining to sports, without seeing these yahoos. And up until recently I was neutral on Taylor Swift, didn't listen to her music but figured if she could get rich doing what she did, more power to her. Now I'm sick of her too. So what do they do? Combine forces in some sort of unholy cabal of over-exposed simpletons.

You can't turn on the TV, radio, or go online without being reminded of the Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift relationship. I didn't care if they are dating, I just don't need to be reminded about it every 15 minutes.

#249 7 months ago

Yeah, I wouldn't even know about it if it weren't mentioned all the time on Pinside.

#250 7 months ago

I have a buddy who goes on n on about Elon Musk, and AI. I told him that Musk is obviously his man crush, and robots will not take over skilled trades in the construction industry anytime soon. There’s no fn way that we’re ready for everyone to have an electrical vehicle that drives itself/charges on what we have today..

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread-deuce/page/5?hl=stlokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.