Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

709a09d2-879a-11ed-a75d-100e23d7ea4d (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    modmonk (resized).jpg
    F1E0DF16-C194-461D-8F17-9EEFDE979E3F (resized).jpeg
    73344-2 (resized).jpg
    6AFE43F9-50EF-4A7E-8966-DDBEE0CD4C3E (resized).jpeg
    288851314_4936085766501368_1251805972361615726_n (resized).jpg

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Twilight Zone is major suckage.

TZ was my favorite pin as a pre-teen/early teen, probably 15-18 years ago. I dreamt of owning one back when it was one of the most expensive used pins at like $4k.

My access to pinball was pretty limited a few years after that. Moved to college, played a TZ again. Still loved it, but once again stepped away from the hobby for several years.

Within the last couple years my interest in the hobby has surged and I have played tons of games - new Sterns. New JJPs. Expanded my horizons on DMD and alphanumeric games. Never played a TZ during this time just because there wasn't one handy.

I played a TZ for the first time in probably a decade two weeks ago and was SO FREAKIN' BUMMED at how slow and clunky it felt and how it just didn't "jive".

#52 1 year ago

Theme obsession is the lamest part of an already infantile hobby. It wasn't bad enough that we collect giant toys, now we come at it like lunchbox collectors. The meal inside could be filet mignon or a shit sandwich; all we care about is which cartoon is on the box.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Theme obsession is the lamest part of an already infantile hobby

Boooom.

“Must have theme”

“Buying it sight unseen”

Two of the worst sentences in the hobby.

rd

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Toy Story is a terrible theme even if it was based off the first 3 movies. Also want to add all of the other Saturday morning cartoons onto this list. He-Man, GI Joe, etc. All dumb kiddie themes. Go play with some action figures instead of dreaming of gluing them to a NIB pinball machine with lunchbox artwork.

You realize pinball machines are just big toys right? You’re complaining about toy themes on actual toys.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

You realize pinball machines are just big toys right? You’re complaining about toy themes on actual toys.

It’s the unpopular opinion thread genius.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

It’s the unpopular opinion thread genius.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean we can’t comment on ridiculous opinions.

#57 1 year ago

Stern could have done all their rock and roll games like they did with their NFL games just slap a different sticker on it and change out some sounds and call it a day.

(No I wouldn’t buy one)

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Yes, but that doesn’t mean we can’t comment on ridiculous opinions.

I don't normally give a shit about downvotes. Comment away, but it's not cool to downvote an unpopular opinion. Kind of the point of being unpopular. (not saying you downvoted, btw).

#59 1 year ago

This unpop opinion could go either way depending on the audiance. I just read War and Peace and it sucked donkey balls. Now, I'm watching the BBC 6 episode mini-series and it sucks donkey balls. Why do people that pride themselves on liking books love this so much? The audio book is F'ng 61 hours of boredom.

#60 1 year ago

CGI in movies can be a positive if used when appropriate and necessary.

e.g. Christopher Nolan's steadfast refusal to use CGI in his movies are a poor decision, particularly when you are trying to convey scale to your audience in movies such as Dunkirk.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This unpop opinion could go either way depending on the audiance. I just read War and Peace and it sucked donkey balls. Now, I'm watching the BBC 6 episode mini-series and it sucks donkey balls. Why do people that pride themselves on liking books love this so much? The audio book is F'ng 61 hours of boredom.

I travel for work and listen to a lot of audio books. I Just started listening to the first book in Stephen kings the dark tower series. I absolutely hate it. I forced myself to listen to over half the book hoping it would grow on me..... it didn't. I can't stand the writing style/narration/and the way the characters talk. I know it's supposed to be Stephen kings favorite book series he wrote but it's awful. And they're like 8 more books in the series, no thanks. I enjoy most other Stephen king books I've read/listened to but there is no way I could suffer through this book, if I was reading it I probably would've stopped in the first chapter.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Toy Story is a terrible theme even if it was based off the first 3 movies. Also want to add all of the other Saturday morning cartoons onto this list. He-Man, GI Joe, etc. All dumb kiddie themes. Go play with some action figures instead of dreaming of gluing them to a NIB pinball machine with lunchbox artwork.

He-man is hands down the dumbest suckling (sic) theme I've ever heard in my many years of being on this dumb theme generator of a website.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Theme obsession is the lamest part of an already infantile hobby.

ThemeKeepers©

#64 1 year ago

More than half of the country is, to some degree, brainwashed

*Brain dead. (More accurate, don't you think?)
    [Removed]

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I travel for work and listen to a lot of audio books. I Just started listening to the first book in Stephen kings the dark tower series. I absolutely hate it. I forced myself to listen to over half the book hoping it would grow on me..... it didn't. I can't stand the writing style/narration/and the way the characters talk. I know it's supposed to be Stephen kings favorite book series he wrote but it's awful. And they're like 8 more books in the series, no thanks. I enjoy most other Stephen king books I've read/listened to but there is no way I could suffer through this book, if I was reading it I probably would've stopped in the first chapter.

Hang in there! After the first book the series gets terrific. The readers change back and forth in the audio format, which are explained by Stephen King in authors notes at the end of later books. The reader for books 2-5 is A+. Overall The Dark Tower audio series is one of my favorites. I remember thinking book 1 was slow too.

#66 1 year ago

Is it just me or are threads being moderated/closed way more than before?

I was moderated last week and a post removed, and i didnt mention guns, politics, the orangutan, anything.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I was moderated last week and a post removed, and i didnt mention guns, politics, the orangutan, anything.

Eh, I got moderated for referring to someone as a "doofus", which was probably fair.
    My unpopular opinion: The mods do a pretty good.

#68 1 year ago

I have more fun repairing and restoring a newly bought broken pinball game than playing and maintaining it.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

The Dark Tower is my favorite fantasy series (the movie was shite). Even though the first book of the series is not the best one in the group because a couple main characters haven't been met. However, if you can get past Roland and the way he talks, you'll not like the rest. I would cut it loose. Based on what you are saying you would probably hate Lisey's Story as well by SK. Can I hear "bad gunky".

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damen:

Agreed. This agreement is also an unpopular opinion.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from Caponicus:

Hang in there! After the first book the series gets terrific. The readers change back and forth in the audio format, which are explained by Stephen King in authors notes at the end of later books. The reader for books 2-5 is A+. Overall The Dark Tower audio series is one of my favorites. I remember thinking book 1 was slow too.

Quoted from RyanStl:

The Dark Tower is my favorite fantasy series (the movie was shite). Even though the first book of the series is not the best one in the group because a couple main characters haven't been met. However, if you can get past Roland and the way he talks, you'll not like the rest. I would cut it loose. Based on what you are saying you would probably hate Lisey's Story as well by SK. Can I hear "bad gunky".

Yep, that's why I posted this as an unpopular opinion. I don't doubt the subsequent books get better, they definitely can't get any worse than the first one IMO. I just couldn't suffer through the book any longer. I'm thinking the story just isn't for me. I really liked cell and desperation....two of Stephen king's poorly reviewed books. Just listened to a big collection of his short stories including "in the tall grass". That one was interesting, Hulu (or Netflix?) made a movie based on "in the tall grass". They changed the story a bit but the movie adaption was good nonetheless, check it out if you haven't seen it. Also "1408" is in my top 5 favorite movies, not sure if that's an unpopular opinion though?

#72 1 year ago

I like Stephen King’s later works more than his original horror. Under the Dome was fun. So was 11/22/63.
    If you can dial up the speed on the Gunslinger and make it to book 2 you’ll be rewarded.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I just read War and Peace and it sucked donkey balls.

Jane Austen > Leo Tolstoy

#74 1 year ago

If you don't get moderated once in a while, you're not truly living.

#75 1 year ago

Since this is a Dark Tower thread now, I’ll chime in. I haven’t finished reading the series, I only ever read the first 3 or 4. But regardless of it being for me or not, the tone, style, pacing, dialog, diction, basically every literally characteristic you could name drastically changes from book one to books 2+. It reads like he wrote the first book in college and then came back 20 years later at the height of his career and started writing the rest.

#76 1 year ago

Have you played Centaur?

Quoted from grantopia:

Hard to find a game I enjoy less than Funhouse.
    [quoted image]

#77 1 year ago

Themes:
    Venom - LAME
    Bond - LAME
    Jaws - MEH
    OZZY - MEH
    Foo Fighters - absolute GARBAGE

Seeing all your BTTF posts and your confidence in it being made secretly has me hoping its a giant turd if it ever does see the light of day.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from WarriorPin:

Have you played Centaur?

Ha! That's funny you say that because I thought I was in the minority there too. Beautiful game...plays like poop.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Ha! That's funny you say that because I thought I was in the minority there too. Beautiful game...plays like poop.

Rare Spinnerless Bally; that's an issue.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Rare Spinnerless Bally; that's an issue.

I loveeee EBD and that doesn't have a spinner...but I wish it did lol. Centaur is always just such a slog for me. Hit the damn center targets in order...miss one and then do a bunch of work to reset them and try again...blech.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

If you don't get moderated once in a while, you're not truly living.

That should be an achievement award, along with starting a "bubble burst thread" within <1yr on the site.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

Seeing all your BTTF posts and your confidence in it being made secretly has me hoping its a giant turd if it ever does see the light of day.

Haha...you dirty dog! Even if it is considered the worst Spike 2 pin ever, it would still be better than 90% of every pin ever made. There hasn't been a giant turd of a pin made since EM times in my experience.

#83 1 year ago

Haha...you dirty dog! Even if it is considered the worst Spike 2 pin ever, it would still be better than 90% of every pin ever made. There hasn't been a giant turd of a pin made since EM times in my experience.

Don't get me wrong, I want that theme just as much so it hurts me too.

#84 1 year ago

There hasn't been a giant turd of a pin made since EM times in my experience.

Are you aware of the Back to the Future pin that already exists???

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Are you aware of the Back to the Future pin that already exists???

Or WWE

#87 1 year ago

If you can't have even a few minutes fun with either one of those pins you are jaded or maybe just don't really like pinball. Either way, I feel sorry for ya. I am actively looking for the DE BTTF.

#88 1 year ago

If you can't have even a few minutes fun with either one of those pins you are jaded or maybe just don't really like pinball. Either way, I feel sorry for ya. I am actively looking for the DE BTTF.

All pinballs can be fun absolutely. I'll play anything at least a few times. But something that loses its appeal after a couple games is, to me, a turd.

#89 1 year ago

Pirate Gold of Adak Island Show. Those two gold coins was Staged. No way they found those coins so close to surface after all this time…

#90 1 year ago

BTW the Drop Bank on DP is the best part of that Pin.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damen:

FJB

Quoted from EJS:

Agreed. This agreement is also an unpopular opinion.

They (correct pronoun) will never admit it, never, never wrong just ask.

#92 1 year ago

I don't care for LEDS or outrageous light shows, they just blind me to the balls movement. I also am not a fan of a lot of "toys" on the PF's, I like to track the ball to anticipate where it is going some toys but too much just blocks sight and tracking for me.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I don't care for LEDS or outrageous light shows, they just blind me to the balls movement. I also am not a fan of a lot of "toys" on the PF's, I like to track the ball to anticipate where it is going some toys but too much just blocks sight and tracking for me.

I prefer LEDs, but some of these lighting setups I've seen on can be pretty ridiculous. For example: My Paragon came with 4smd LEDs in all of the insert and GI lights. You needed sunglasses to play the freaking game. I switched them out with 2smd frosted sunlight which are just the right amount of brightness without blinding you.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

What does an orangutan have to do with anything?

#95 1 year ago

Back to the Future isn’t that good. Part 2 is dumb. 3 is atrocious.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from bane:

Lies!

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from bane:

I kinda agree with you on this. My wife loves these movies, and I've always tolerated watching them with her but I've always felt that they were a bit overrated.

Best thing that came out of the movies:

#98 1 year ago

I will resurrect my assertion that frozen custard is better than ice milk/cream

#99 1 year ago

I never considered Sigourney Weaver very attractive, except maybe just in Galaxy Quest. It must have been the blonde hair and fake boobs.

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Jane Austen > Leo Tolstoy

I read Pride and Prejudice a couple books before War and Peace, and while I agree it was better than W&P, it wasn't for me either. Basically what it had going for it over W&P was it was a lot shorter. I'm really getting into Steinbeck right now. I'm finished the Grapes of Wrath and about half way through East of Eden. Great books.

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread-deuce/page/2?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.