(Topic ID: 254118)

Unpopular opinion: Stop putting pops in games!

By pinfarmer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.23.55 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.23.08 PM (resized).png
    image-14 (resized).jpg
    image-30 (resized).jpg
    14-middle-pop-pinball (resized).jpg
    image-13 (resized).jpg
    image-10 (resized).jpg
    2366f1 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    pop 2 (resized).PNG
    Middle pop (resized).PNG
    26731962797_5c4bc0de76_b (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    majorettes2 (resized).jpg
    slickchick2 (resized).jpg
    image-2 (resized).jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

My opinion: Pops have been in almost every game. They take up a lot of space and are not a controlled part of the game. When I see them I feel like they are a cop out on features or are forced in there because they are told to put them in each game. On a positive I like making a tight loop shot through pops.
    Opinions?

#2 4 years ago

Keep the pops, get rid of an outlane (Sharpshooter). I like the randomness the pops give, when placed correctly. I'll agree that sometimes they're just filler though.

#3 4 years ago

They really make pinball boring for me. Games where you get your ball stuck in the pops for what seems like an eternity couldn't be more boring.

#4 4 years ago

You could get yourself a Big Guns ... one of the only games I can think of that doesn't have pops.

Are there others anyone else can think of?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Yep, I've got Judge Dredd sitting next to No Fear. Shadow is another.

That being said, all my other games do have them, and the older the machine, the more purpose they serve. Some have as many as five.

Variety is key in my lineup.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from SkyKing2301:

You could get yourself a Big Guns ... one of the only games I can think of that doesn't have pops.

o din beat me to it

#8 4 years ago

Fire.

LTG : )

#9 4 years ago

Heresy! If there's anything that makes a pinball machine truly a pinball machine....aside from flippers....it's pop bumpers.

#10 4 years ago

Junkyard and Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle do not have pops

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

o din beat me to it

Well, if you spent as many late nights as I have playing both of those as I have lately, it would be fresh in your mind too.

Ya know, there was a time when pop bumpers were an integral part of scoring and advancement in a game. Like Pit Stop, you wouldn't get shit for laps without pop bumpers helping to move you along.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Heresy! If there's anything that makes a pinball machine truly a pinball machine....aside from flippers....it's pop bumpers.

Where does the little silver ball rank on your list?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Where does the little silver ball rank on your list?

As a given, just like the playfield.

#15 4 years ago

Swords of Fury

#16 4 years ago

There are actually 1000s of pinball machines that were made without pop bumpers. Too many to list.

Pops are pretty generic now. But no more generic than the lower half of the playfield called the Italian bottom.

They could benefit from better placement and usage. Get rid of them and you might as well do away with slingshots too.

#17 4 years ago

I want a game with a manual pop bumper. Just one....and it should have a purpose. Save the ball, keep the ball from exiting a certain area, hit a target or back up a small Black Knight (the original) or Flash Gordon type ramp....something, but it has to be done with an extra button near the right flipper button (the extra button near the left flipper button will be for the manual kickback).

#18 4 years ago

ORBITOR 1 for truly the most “un-pinball” experience in pinball!

I believe the old EM Loop the Loop doesn’t have pops.

Actually... a ton of Ted Zale games don’t have pops.

#19 4 years ago

Rock / Rock Encore

#20 4 years ago

Elektra has no pops

#21 4 years ago

Justin used pops in a pretty cool way on his Castlevania custom game . In an orbit entrance/ exit and a sling across from them .

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, if you spent as many late nights as I have playing both of those as I have lately, it would be fresh in your mind too.
    Ya know, there was a time when pop bumpers were an integral part of scoring and advancement in a game. Like Pit Stop, you wouldn't get shit for laps without pop bumpers helping to move you along.

We have put a fair bit of time into JD and really like it.

You have nailed it re the pops. The pops need to be an integral part of the game that you need to complete or advance or do something that forces you to hit the pops.

#24 4 years ago
    97Tp5Ue (resized).jpg97Tp5Ue (resized).jpg
    #25 4 years ago
    Quoted from VGC1612:

[quoted image]

3 pop bumpers. whoopee.

Going' Nuts has seven.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg
    #26 4 years ago
    majorettes2 (resized).jpgmajorettes2 (resized).jpgslickchick2 (resized).jpgslickchick2 (resized).jpg
    #27 4 years ago

I love the pops. They're a great part of the DNA and history of pinball.

One of my favorite uses in a modern pin is Houdini with some important scoring shots having to thread the needle right though the group of three pops. It's a blast when I can make it cleanly.

If you think that they're taking up too much playfield real estate, you could always look at the disappearing one from CV.

#28 4 years ago

The Shadow

#29 4 years ago

He knows!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I love the pops. They're a great part of the DNA and history of pinball.

The single one on TNA works pretty well. Same with Stars.

Harry made the first one with two.
    image-7 (resized).jpgimage-7 (resized).jpg

#31 4 years ago

I like pop bumpers that have some sort of interesting purpose...like on paragon or WOZ

#32 4 years ago

In my book, pop bumpers can be divided into two categories.

The good:

Bumpers make the ball wild with uncontrollable feeds all over the place.

The bad:

Pop bumper nest on top of the playfield with one entrance and one exit.

#33 4 years ago

Pop bumpers are fun!

But, mostly they need to be coded better so they become integral to the game's scoring or progression.

#34 4 years ago

what makes pinball pinball is the physical randomness of it!!! Pops are part of this along with wear and tear etc... which all affects game play.

May as well go play a video game if you want rid of all that!

#35 4 years ago

What I really dont get is when pops are so clustered and with one single exit that they dont bring anything. Think #TOM or #MB.

#36 4 years ago

Unfortunately, bumpers, pop or dead, haven't really been used properly much since the woodrail era and early 60's, they just became a sort of a thing to design around, but not include much in game strategy. Games like the ones pictured above in this thread , use the bumpers as critical components of the game.

#37 4 years ago

I'd rather have one out in the open mid game than 3 at the back that really only help in terms of a break during frantic multi's. Wouldn't bother me if they vanished but at the same time if they stay its not going to affect my pinball joy.

#38 4 years ago

Definitely misused on modern games...

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Definitely misused on modern games...

What about TNA?
    I'd say misused on new stern games.

#40 4 years ago

As long as the pop is exposed to the PF and not hidden in a nest, it can be a wildly fun feature as you really never know the angle which it will kick. Pop nests however... boring.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Unfortunately, bumpers, pop or dead, haven't really been used properly much since the woodrail era and early 60's, they just became a sort of a thing to design around, but not include much in game strategy. Games like the ones pictured above in this thread , use the bumpers as critical components of the game.

I like how Batman Forever uses them to change the next mode started. As the ball is bouncing off the pops, wait until it highlights the mode you want to start next, pull the trigger on the Batgun to lock in that mode (or "Lite Extra Ball" which is also in the mode list). Sometimes it goes too fast and the ball has to be sent back up into the pops.

I've never thought The Shadow needs pop bumpers. More new games should go without them.

#42 4 years ago

A pinball game with no pop bumpers would be like a football field with no goal posts. But.... I prefer pre 80’s games. Love the pops, spinners and chimes/bells.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I like how Batman Forever uses them to change the next mode started. As the ball is bouncing off the pops, wait until it highlights the mode you want to start next, pull the trigger on the Batgun to lock in that mode (or "Lite Extra Ball" which is also in the mode list). Sometimes it goes too fast and the ball has to be sent back up into the pops.
    I've never thought The Shadow needs pop bumpers. More new games should go without them.

I like how they do the same in whitewater.

It’s always a great time when you’re about to get mb, then keep tossing it into the pops to try light 5x.

Usually turns out for me that I’m on ball 3, can’t drain of course for an ‘easy’ plung and have to hit the ramp then falls. Love it!

#44 4 years ago

I don't miss pop bumpers on my Shadow but always nice to see them in new games. Same thing for spinners and drop targets. You can make great games without them but nice to have all that. Problem is most of the time these features are not used very well. What games use the pop bumpers well and make you want to shoot for them? Funhouse for advancing the clock and frenzy modes come to mind. Whitewater for 5x. What else?

#45 4 years ago

HIdden in a nest -
    For example
    -Transformers
    -Fish Tales
    - Whirlwind
    -Monopoly

Damn, 1/2 my lineup has uneventful nest clustered pops. I still love 'em though!!

#47 4 years ago

Judge dred, junkyard

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

HIdden in a nest -
    For example
    -Transformers
    -Fish Tales
    - Whirlwind
    -Monopoly
    Damn, 1/2 my lineup has uneventful nest clustered pops. I still love 'em though!!

Monopoly has SIX pop bumps, one is a nest, the other is positioned right in your left orbit so if you don’t shoot precisely it will probably drain out of those pops.
    They could have left only the 3 in the lower left but Pat decided it needed the nest up top for some reason.

#49 4 years ago

I really like on WOZ how you can hold the flippers to kill the pops to get the ball to fall into the VUK. I also can’t tell you how many times I have gotten a dead bounce ofF the disabled pop and then SDTM. Love the risk reward decision.

#50 4 years ago

It's weird that so many people basically agree with this guy's post in the thread, but the ratio of downvotes/upvotes is the opposite. I think the OP is more referencing pop bumper nests that sit in the back and do nothing? I do agree, modern pop bumpers are frequently the least exciting part of the game.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-stop-putting-pops-in-games?hl=etien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.