Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolandthoms.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#279 3 years ago

It’s a certified Canadian national treasure that Americans never connected with the Tragically Hip

New Order and the Cure suck live

Lloyd Cole is under appreciated as he continues to release poetic, tuneful albums every year or two

#305 3 years ago

Re: Lloyd Cole, Tragically Hip

Those are a couple of great albums. He has a greatest hits album too. Same with Tragically Hip. start with their hits..... great rabbit holes to dig into.

The first time i saw the Cure, it was an outdoor venue....i was 17....it rained....they sang their songs with no connection to audience....as i am leaving, i see my recently ex-girlfriend make out with another guy.....oh, did i mention i had mono ??? i saw them at Coachella too, same performance. But i am loving digging deeper into their older albums lately. Primary...the Forest...dang !

New Order ... saw them 3 times (i was and am a huge fan) but last time, at Coachella, Bernard Sumner hurt his leg backstage, did the whole concert on a stool while biting his fingernails..

#307 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Belle & Sebastian should be huge in the U.S.
    Doves and Elbow too.

literally my 2 favorite British bands of the moment

#311 3 years ago

Argue against the greatness of any of these 80's bands....
    The The, Prefab Sprout, Blue Nile, Talk Talk, Squeeze, Hothouse Flowers

#317 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Burning Blue Soul is easily the best The The Album
    The The's best Song is 'Hate'

whoa! you are getting a little esoteric here. i like the cut of your jib. that is a difficult album and gets the least play in my house . He just released the album "see without being seen" which is BEFORE "Burning blue soul" Even more inaccessible, trippy and tough.

for me, its Dusk with my all time favorite song "Bluer than midnight"

the the (resized).pngthe the (resized).png

#322 3 years ago

you cant go wrong with "Soul Mining", "Infected" and "Dusk" - trifecta of greatness

Nakedself is also excellent but not at the level of those 3. And his cover album of "hank Williams" tunes never really connected with me.

"Burning blue soul" is a challenge. even as a huge fan, it requires a "mood". i'm spinning it tonight.

#355 3 years ago

Original version of “I go blind” is my preference. Most people think it’s a Hootie and the Blowfish original. A deep dive into 54*40 is rewarding and long. 10+ albums

#368 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Wow. Never knew that!
    What's the backgorund on 54.40?

54.40 is part of what is called the "Can-Rock" renaissance of great Canadian artists from 1985-1995. I happens to coincide with my youthful years of 15-25.
    So many great Canadian bands came out of this time period, many of which have been mentioned in this thread

Tragically Hip
    Sloan
    Barenaked Ladies

Honourable mentions: Images in Vogue, Spoons, Blue Rodeo, Northern Pikes, Grapes of Wrath and one of my personal favorites:
    Teenage Head (if you like the Ramones or the Clash, highly recommend)- although they were pretty much done by 85....and are still touring

54.40 has, and continues to, put out albums every couple of years. Of course, those 80s and 90s albums are my favorites. Inoffensive, folky rock/pop songs

#382 3 years ago

But as a product of the 80s, why haven’t I connected with the Replacements. 3 songs to start with ?

#385 3 years ago

Ween has been a hoot to discover and clan of Xymox brings back memories (only knew 1 song from back in the day)

#425 3 years ago

Riding the school bus in the 80s as the lone “new wave kid” was no easy task (small, rural Canada)
    Listening to Depeche, OMD and the like meant a salami sandwich hurled to the back of yer head
    35 years later, the metalhead pinsiders still torment me....Iron Maiden pinball, Metallica pinball. (I actually had these games for a bit but just couldn’t )
    AC/DC and GNR are good fun (wouldn’t call that metal in any way)

If you’re a Depeche fan, I highly recommend you watch the doc “ spirits in the forest”. It’s excellent

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolandthoms.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions?tu=rolandthoms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.