Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 3 years ago

Ice Cube's cousin Del the Funkee Homosapien is the more talented of the two. In fact his 1993 album No Need for Alarm is one of the most criminally underrated hip hop albums of all time.

Appetite for Destruction saved rock & roll.

Sober Trent Reznor and sober Robert Smith never wrote a good song.

Tupac and Biggie both are remembered as being much better than they really were. Not that they were in any way untalented or didn't make some great music. But they weren't what we made them posthumously.

Rage Against the Machine's eponymous first album is a top 10 album of all time.

Smashing Pumpkins got the rep and jest that Pearl Jam deserved.

Of DFW area bands, Tripping Daisy deserved the attention and fame that the Toadies enjoyed.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I've been buying up some hip-hop collections lately and I got that album in one a couple weeks back. I haven't listened to it yet though. I'll have to give it a go. Love me some Ice Cube.

It's different from Cube. He did not go in the gansta rap direction. He caught onto some early skateboard videos and was big in the Thrasher mag crowd. It's more pure hip hop.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

[quoted image]

I love Depeche Mode. Without shame. I love 80s New Wave overall, but DM is my favorite of them all. I know we are supposed to like The Smiths and The Cure and New Order more. I love those bands, too. But not as much as DM. Fight me.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I liked Mistadobalina, but that's the only track of his I remember.

Oh, dig into No Need for Alarm. Mistadobalina is early, silly stuff in my opinion.

#75 3 years ago

Rush is one of those bands that I really like what I like (very little, actually). But really hate what I don’t like. I can’t just put it on and let it play.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

The Smith's are OVERRATED

I appreciate what they did, but I somewhat agree. And I love The Smiths. But Morrissey’s solo catalog is as good if not better. In fact, I think I do prefer his solo stuff in whole. How Soon is Now is damned near phonic perfection as far as I am concerned, but other than that there’s nothing The Smiths did that wasn’t met or surpassed by Morrissey on his own.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from shimmydisc:

The Doors are the most overrated band of all time.

I would put them in the top 3 most overrated, with U2 and The Beatles.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Dumbest comment of the year.

8A1AB831-AC94-46E5-885D-089CA58C42DB (resized).jpeg8A1AB831-AC94-46E5-885D-089CA58C42DB (resized).jpeg
    #137 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

What the hell, Sinéad O’Connor had a couple of songs I liked.

Nothing Compares 2U is haunting.

#149 3 years ago
    DCB99BD6-15A1-4C37-B314-65B6427C1795 (resized).jpegDCB99BD6-15A1-4C37-B314-65B6427C1795 (resized).jpeg
    #244 3 years ago

Don't Worry Baby by The Beach Boys is as good or better than anything The Beatles ever put out.

Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams is one of the best covers of all time.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It is, indeed.
    Conversely, Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is.....amazing. I am on the fence about which one I prefer.

I always felt like that was a cash grab move to put Hurt in front of Johnny and have him sing it. That song never fit or made sense to me coming from him. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job on the vocals. It just felt obvious and schmaltzy to me.

Pretty Hate Machine, however, was as close to album perfection as it got for me in 1992.

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not a 90s album...could have been the best if it was.
    Leaving the door open to either 'Loveless' or 'AntiChrsit Superstar 'being the best album of the 1990s .

Ah, I should clarify. 1992 was my freshman year of high school and when that album was in heaviest rotation in my world.

#262 3 years ago

Modest Mouse put out their best music before 95% of the world knew who they were. And I love almost everything they did after that Johnny Maar lick put them on the map. But The Lonesome Crowded West was their peak.

The Pixies had two gears: noisy mess and fucking art.

John Lydon’s best work was with PiL.

#345 3 years ago

Elvis Costello is like a 40 year long running Andy Kaufman prank. I don't get it, I think it's supposed to be funny, but it sure isn't any good.

I never saw the Stones when they were young enough for Mick to qualify, but the best lead man performance I ever saw live was Scott Weiland at an STP show in about 2002 or so. He was sober, in good shape and was fantastic. That dude had "it" when he was into it. He was amazing live.

Overall, my favorite group live was Beastie Boys. I saw them 9 or 10 times through the years, and never walked away anything but jazzed.

When Morrissey wants to perform and gives a shit and isn't being a total prick about something petty, he still puts on an amazing show. Saw him last year, which was a make-up for a make-up. He was way into it and he blew the doors off the place. But you buy a ticket to see Morrissey at your own peril. 7/10 chance you are getting a rain-check.

#348 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I've been lucky enough to see a couple of hundred live shows and the Beastie Boys at Santa Barbara County Bowl on their final tour ranks in my all time top 5.

They headlined a Lollapalooza in 94 and just killed it. Maybe the best live performance I ever saw. I'm a big Ad-Rock guy and Sabotage was brand new, and he threw it down.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions?tu=gambit3113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.