Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg
    There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 16.
    #401 3 years ago

OMG! I forgot. Genesis sucks.
    Phil Collins shoulda stuck to just drumming.

#402 3 years ago

Steve Howe's best recorded guitar solo ever was on a Lou Reed song on Lou's first solo record.

#403 3 years ago

Glad we're on the same page here. And how bad did the 80s suck?

#404 3 years ago

Todd Rundgren didn't make the worst music I ever heard.

#405 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Glad we're on the same page here. And how bad did the 80s suck?

I would have said All the Suckiness in all the Universe... until 2020 came along...

#407 3 years ago

Paul Westerberg fanz! How many of you have his best album which was only available for download from Amazon for just over a week before being taken down for copyright infringement? So many killer songs... all run together, and then a thrash medley of cover snippets he didn't have permission for.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49:00

I managed to get a copy while the window was open. PM me for a link.

#408 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:until 2020 came along...

download (1) (resized).jpegdownload (1) (resized).jpeg
    #409 3 years ago

See, Yo-Din, we done took over this thread anyways. Jibber-jabbering is easier than typing.
    Plus the Fireball Machines feature Odin prominently.

#410 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Jibber-jabbering is easier than typing.

Not much left to say that won't get me booted off pinside all over again.

Or, can whatever you say in one of these podcasts not be used against you?

#411 3 years ago

Don't think so Daddio. That's exactly why we take it to the 'cast.

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

That's exactly why we take it to the 'cast.

Until we run out of gas...

But seriously folks, I don't need any more enemies. It's like fighting the same battle from 40 years ago, but then it was with people my own age.

#413 3 years ago

This is good:

But normally i'm listening to Tool, Pantera, Slipknot, 311 and the Dirty Heads.

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

The Replacements were not only the best band of the 80s, they were one of the best bands ever and Paul Westerberg is the best songwriter of the last 40 years.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that this is about as good as Rock and Roll gets:

#415 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Working Man" excepted, I would have to agree.
    If you didn't have a 2-4 week "Rush Phase" in Jr. High, you have no heart.
    If your "Rush Phase" has continued beyond that, you have no brain.*
    *Canadians get a pass, cause, you know, they are Canadian.

Like you remember Jr High. You spent most of it in a locker......no doubt.

#416 3 years ago

Jr. High was a blur. Except for maybe this.

#417 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Motley Crue's first record was the ONLY good one.

Quoted from o-din:

I never thought there was a debate on that.

The debate is that none of them are good. It's a fact to me but online everyone loves cock rock

#418 3 years ago

Here are three bands that the critics (and a fair chunk of Pinside) seem to love but I just don't get ...

The Band. Maybe they could pay their instruments but none of them could sing. I'm still searching for a melody
    The Grateful Dead. Endless inconsequential noodling. Say no more.
    Rush. I truly love Canadian bands, and I've tried so hard to find a redeeming feature in this group's oeuvre. To no avail

#419 3 years ago

Dayton Abortions are Canada's greatest band. Their first three albums are epic. Seen them live at least 30x over the years.9k=.jpg9k=.jpg
    Z.jpgZ.jpg9k=(1).jpg9k=(1).jpg

#420 3 years ago

As a Canadian that 54-40 version was the only one I knew of lol. One Day in Your Life was an awesome track.

Speaking of Canadian rock... gotta have me some Chilliwack and April Wine. They made some fucking awesome music that prob didn't get much play outside Canada.

Heard a lot of unpopular talk about bands like New Order and Depeche Mode who were huge but at the same time never popular to anyone but me growing up. I was born a little too late there. Need to mention OMD... sure everyone knows If You Leave but as soon as you explore beyond that... you won't believe you're listening to the same band. They've got one hell of a weird and quirky discography and I love'em which I think is hugely unpopular.

#421 3 years ago

Oh and that talk about the 54-40 cover had me thinking about the original version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I love the original.

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

"Speaking of Canadian rock..."

I was into these guys for a while...….many years ago.

OIP7OI3AWXJ (resized).jpgOIP7OI3AWXJ (resized).jpg
    #423 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

Oh and that talk about the 54-40 cover had me thinking about the original version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I love the original.

We need a thread: "Popular Songs You Never Knew Were Covers"

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

Huh... who knew.

sounds like the worst Elvis Costello song ever... nice obnoxious out of tune 80s guitar too.

#425 3 years ago

Riding the school bus in the 80s as the lone “new wave kid” was no easy task (small, rural Canada)
    Listening to Depeche, OMD and the like meant a salami sandwich hurled to the back of yer head
    35 years later, the metalhead pinsiders still torment me....Iron Maiden pinball, Metallica pinball. (I actually had these games for a bit but just couldn’t )
    AC/DC and GNR are good fun (wouldn’t call that metal in any way)

If you’re a Depeche fan, I highly recommend you watch the doc “ spirits in the forest”. It’s excellent

#426 3 years ago

Speaking of Canadian bands, I don’t remember seeing Mahogany Rush mentioned yet. I think Frank Marino is an upper-echelon guitar player, in fact.

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Riding the school bus in the 80s as the lone “new wave kid” was no easy task (small, rural Canada)
    Listening to Depeche, OMD and the like meant a salami sandwich hurled to the back of yer head
    35 years later, the metalhead pinsiders still torment me....Iron Maiden pinball, Metallica pinball.

The No Wave kids who were listening to Swans, Glenn Branca, Suicide, Sonic Youth, etc. were probably punching themselves in the face and setting school buses on fire.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

35 years later, the metalhead pinsiders still torment me....Iron Maiden pinball, Metallica pinball. (I actually had these games for a bit but just couldn’t )

I hear that! It's like the old battle revisited all over again. But, back then it was more than words that came between the new school and the old guard. I remember getting my hair cropped and some old rockers starting giving me shit.

On many occasions there were serious brawls between the two factions. Somewhere along the line they started to overlap, and the violence was down to a minimum

#429 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Bruce Springsteen sucks.

I used to work for a Springsteen magazine and I hated him, but now I have some appreciation for him.

#430 3 years ago

Historically speaking, The Jam was one of the most important and influential bands of the late 70s and early 80s.

#431 3 years ago

Oh yeah, and I got to see em!

download (2) (resized).jpegdownload (2) (resized).jpegdownload (3) (resized).jpegdownload (3) (resized).jpeg
    #432 3 years ago

Not really sure what to think about Ghost

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg
    #433 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Not really sure what to think about Ghost
    [quoted image]

I love it, more or less. Nice melodic hard rock and I enjoy the satanic put on and the humor.

#434 3 years ago

I'm a little late to the party here....

The Minutemen were the greatest "punk" band. One of the few bands that really transcended definition. Punk? Rock? Post-Hardcore? Alternative pioneers? Definitely one of the most influential bands of the 80s that hardly ever gets mentioned anymore. They could have been so much more if not for their unfortunate end.

Double Nickles on the Dime is one of the best double LPs ever.

dnotd (resized).jpgdnotd (resized).jpg

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm a little late to the party here....
    The Minutemen were the greatest "punk" band. One of the few bands that really transcended definition. Punk? Rock? Post-Hardcore? Alternative pioneers? Definitely one of the most influential bands of the 80s that hardly ever gets mentioned anymore. They could have been so much more if not for their unfortunate end.
    Double Nickles on the Dime is one of the best double LPs ever.
    [quoted image]

You know I was going to post something about the Minutemen but I’m glad I didn’t because you did it much better than I would have. Amazing band.

#436 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

AC/DC and GNR are good fun (wouldn’t call that metal in any way)
    If you’re a Depeche fan, I highly recommend you watch the doc “ spirits in the forest”. It’s excellent

Trooper had a few songs back in the day..A few more that I’m thinking about are the tea party (more early 90’s) I Mother Earth, and Loverboy..Mike Reno rocked it back in the 80’s!

#437 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love it, more or less. Nice melodic hard rock and I enjoy the satanic put on and the humor.

I agree. I think it’s because I like Blue Oyster Cult a lot, they had the same tongue in cheek satanic undertones (although more subtle) and when I first heard Ghost I actually thought it was an old unearthed BOC song.

#438 3 years ago

Don't know what is is about this song, but it helped save my from myself. Timing couldn't have been better.

#439 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You should really try to see them live, they do a great stage show and play extremely well; they go so completely over the top with the Satanic schtick that the entire crowd is in on the joke and it creates a fun vibe. (Like the Swedish version of Alice Cooper in a way.)

#440 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

You should really try to see them live, they do a great stage show and play extremely well; they go so completely over the top with the Satanic schtick that the entire crowd is in on the joke and it creates a fun vibe. (Like the Swedish version of Alice Cooper in a way.)

I’ve seen them live many times including their second show in the USA at a tiny club in nyc. Now they play arenas!

Wish they still played their awesome cover of Here Comes the Sun (son. As in satan geddit?!). It ruled.

#441 3 years ago

Who’da thunk.. all the way from Germany!

#442 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve seen them live many times including their second show in the USA at a tiny club in nyc. Now they play arenas!
    Wish they still played their awesome cover of Here Comes the Sun (son. As in satan geddit?!). It ruled.

I would have loved seeing them in a small venue. The first time I saw them was as Ghost B.C. opening for Deftones and Avenged 7x; they were obviously still a “young” band but were nevertheless the highlight (Deftones’ PA was mixed/sounded like ass to the point it was hard to recognize most of the songs, and A7X was a bit too produced and predictable).

#443 3 years ago

Never liked “chainsaw music” as it was called at the time but did like this one.

#444 3 years ago

Is there any other chainsaw music besides jackyl?

Z(1).jpgZ(1).jpg
    #445 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Oh yeah, and I got to see em!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Woah, I'm listening to the Jam right now while reading this thread.

#446 3 years ago

I love Ghost and also used to see them in small clubs... skipped their last tour because it was at a huge crappy venue.

#447 3 years ago

Hawkwind was the best band Lemmy played in:

(Story goes, he left/was kicked out of the band because (sadly) he preferred booze and speed instead of psychedelics! )

#448 3 years ago

Nickelback is way better than 99% of today's music...

#449 3 years ago

The older I get, the more I think Henry Rollins is full of shit.

#450 3 years ago

I listened to Iron Maiden music for the first time tonight and it was nothing special. Just typical hair band crap. I have Guns N Roses another try and liked them better, but Metallica is better than both. I can care less about Kiss, Aerosmith, Beatles, and AC/DC.

For me, music started in 1991 with the album Nevermind. I do have to say the grunge sound would be shit for pinball though. I like older stuff, but only the really good stuff, not hair bands.

Band themes I would be interested in. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sabboth, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, Lynrd Skynyrd, Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, System of the Down

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/9?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.