Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg
    There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.
    #351 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think that one song was enough to topple the mighty Elvis.

Elvis had a lot of unsung heros.

#352 3 years ago

Well, fuck.

#353 3 years ago

Nirvana and Pearl Jam are the elementary school version of cutting edge music from the late 80s/early 90s. Sorry...#truth

#354 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Nirvana and Pearl Jam are the elementary school version of cutting edge music from the late 80s/early 90s. Sorry...#truth

…..while important bands like Husker Du and the Replacements were largely overlooked.

#355 3 years ago

Original version of “I go blind” is my preference. Most people think it’s a Hootie and the Blowfish original. A deep dive into 54*40 is rewarding and long. 10+ albums

#356 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Joe Jackson Vs. Elvis Costello. Let the battle begin.

Nice choice, but Anthrax did it better.

In the interest of keeping with unpopular music opinions:
    Chuck Mosley, Paul Di'Anno, and John Bush put out stuff that was every bit as good as their replacements. Introduce Yourself, the first two Maiden Albums, and The Sound of White Noise/Volume 8 are all fantastic records from start to finish.

Mike Patton is a God, but outside of the first Tomahawk album, most of his other stuff is forgettable and at times annoying (sorry Bungle fans).

Dookie was great for what it was, especially given the time it came out. Greenday hasn't written single decent song, let alone record, since it came out. They're insufferable in every sense of the word.

Sepultura's best stuff is their post-thrash shit.

#357 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Original version of “I go blind” is my preference. Most people think it’s a Hootie and the Blowfish original. A deep dive into 54*40 is rewarding and long. 10+ albums

Wow. Never knew that!

What's the backgorund on 54.40?

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

... They're insufferable in every sense of the word.

Preach!

#359 3 years ago

Gotta say it: the Rolling Stones SUCK. And Mick Jagger? Ah... can't dance.

#360 3 years ago

Tom Petty was a terrible singer. He certainly had a gift for writing, but as a performer I can't stand him. I'd rather play 100 games of thunderbird than listen to 1 Tom Petty song.

#361 3 years ago

I agree with everybody that Nirvana's music is unlistenable.

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Actually, I thought that whole "Grunge" thing was bullshit.

And how was Neil Young lucky enough to be dubbed, "the godfather of grunge"?

#363 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Actually, I thought that whole "Grunge" thing was bullshit.

I get so tired of these trite cliches.

No, the Beatles were not "the first boy band." Johnny Cash wasn't the first Goddamn "punk." etc. etc.

There's plenty of influences around that you don't have to crobar old artists into this shit. Isn't it enough that Buddy Rich was a great drummer? Does he have to be the "grandfather of speed metal drumming!!!" or some bullshit too?

#364 3 years ago

Any love for Dead Moon?

I do enjoy them. Never got to see them live, but OTOH, they didnt tour Scandinavia much at all. And Im a few years too young to see them in their hayday.

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Sad Lovers and Giants, anyone?
    First Clan of Xymox album was also pretty badass. Then they changed their name to Xymox and it was all downhill.

Ok never expected to see someone name drop Clan of Xymox wow. I actually really like Twist of Shadows. Anyways they changed their name back to Clan of Xymox... the album Medusa is perfection if the whole gothic thing floats your boat. They're still churning out new music too.

#366 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

Ok never expected to see someone name drop Clan of Xymox wow. I actually really like Twist of Shadows. Anyways they changed their name back to Clan of Xymox... the album Medusa is perfection if the whole gothic thing floats your boat. They're still churning out new music too.

I wasn't really into the whole gothic thing... but I had Medusa on vinyl and played that sucker to death!

#367 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I wasn't really into the whole gothic thing... but I had Medusa on vinyl and played that sucker to death!

No I wasn't either. I had too much of a tan for that lol.

If you like Medusa check out The Frozen Autumn - Fragments of Memories and Pale Awakening. I think both would qualify as unpopular music recommendations.

#368 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Wow. Never knew that!
    What's the backgorund on 54.40?

54.40 is part of what is called the "Can-Rock" renaissance of great Canadian artists from 1985-1995. I happens to coincide with my youthful years of 15-25.
    So many great Canadian bands came out of this time period, many of which have been mentioned in this thread

Tragically Hip
    Sloan
    Barenaked Ladies

Honourable mentions: Images in Vogue, Spoons, Blue Rodeo, Northern Pikes, Grapes of Wrath and one of my personal favorites:
    Teenage Head (if you like the Ramones or the Clash, highly recommend)- although they were pretty much done by 85....and are still touring

54.40 has, and continues to, put out albums every couple of years. Of course, those 80s and 90s albums are my favorites. Inoffensive, folky rock/pop songs

#369 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Because the simpletons of mainstream entertainment saw him perform with Pearl Jam on that award show or whatever and came up with that doofus statement.

I've heard it applied to CCR too, because they wore flannel shirts or something.

#370 3 years ago

The Replacements were not only the best band of the 80s, they were one of the best bands ever and Paul Westerberg is the best songwriter of the last 40 years.

#371 3 years ago

Imagine it recorded with The Who 1970 live ability and line up, plus 1970ish "6 foot wide garage and 7 foot wide car recordings" and the accompanying studio recording talent, in addition,and early 1980s arcade homage

The_who_its_hard_album (1) (resized).jpgThe_who_its_hard_album (1) (resized).jpg
    #372 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

The Replacements were not only the best band of the 80s, they were one of the best bands ever and Paul Westerberg is the best songwriter of the last 40 years.

#373 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

54.40 is part of what is called the "Can-Rock" renaissance of great Canadian artists from 1985-1995. I happens to coincide with my youthful years of 15-25.
    So many great Canadian bands came out of this time period, many of which have been mentioned in this thread
    Tragically Hip
    Sloan
    Barenaked Ladies
    Honourable mentions: Images in Vogue, Spoons, Blue Rodeo, Northern Pikes, Grapes of Wrath and one of my personal favorites:
    Teenage Head (if you like the Ramones or the Clash, highly recommend)- although they were pretty much done by 85....and are still touring
    54.40 has, and continues to, put out albums every couple of years. Of course, those 80s and 90s albums are my favorites. Inoffensive, folky rock/pop songs

Love the Grapes of Wrath. I had two of their albums, if I'm not mistaken. And "Tragically Hip"... I mean... that's gotta be one of the cooler band names.

#374 3 years ago

Steve Miller Band isn't that good, there, I said it.

#375 3 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

Steve Miller Band isn't that good, there, I said it.

Sure, but even well into his 50s, teenage girls loved him.

#376 3 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Imagine it recorded with The Who 1970 live ability and line up, plus 1970ish "6 foot wide garage and 7 foot wide car recordings" and the accompanying studio recording talent, in addition,and early 1980s arcade homage[quoted image]

This album is terrible and I don’t think 1970 who would have saved it.

#377 3 years ago

Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin are relics from the past and should be left there.

There, I said it.

Now tell me where I should go.

#378 3 years ago

The Clash really isnt as great as people think they are.

#379 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

The Clash really isnt as great as people think they are.

Yes, because one of the head guys has been dead for almost 20 years now.

How the hell do you do a we are too poor to quit reunion tour without him?

#380 3 years ago

A little love for Steve Miller.

Even though, at the time, we knew music was taking a turn for the worse. But, since it got worse when they started playing Don't Bring Me Down by ELO, it is what it is.

#381 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Non an unpopular opinion. Just facts. Saw them twice at the Hollywood Palladium. SO good.

#382 3 years ago

But as a product of the 80s, why haven’t I connected with the Replacements. 3 songs to start with ?

#383 3 years ago

fireball2, my old friend and confidant. Who now wants an interview. What are we going to talk about? Quality control at the Jack Daniels factory?

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

But as a product of the 80s, why haven’t I connected with the Replacements. 3 songs to start with ?

Perhaps it wasn't meant for you.

#385 3 years ago

Ween has been a hoot to discover and clan of Xymox brings back memories (only knew 1 song from back in the day)

#386 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

fireball2, my old friend and confidant. Who now wants an interview. What are we going to talk about? Quality control at the Jack Daniels factory?

I don't drink any liquor that ain't clear. We gonna talk about lame pinball themes, how multiball is "overrated" (Hi Levi) and has taken over pinball "rules." About best EM's and staying power and antagonizing pinsiders and how being a teenager in the '70s was so fun (most of the time). Why you don't play with toys any more. And shit.

#387 3 years ago

This thread has gotten too nice nice.
    Devo was a way better live band than Black Sabbath.

#388 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I don't drink any liquor that ain't clear.

Well, if you are close to the source, I can dig that.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #389 3 years ago

Just FYI for all you metalheads out there. A childhood friend of mine has exhaustively catalogued almost every metal band ever and put them into subgenres... for the last 20 years! Couldn't believe he's still doing it.
    http://www.bnrmetal.com/v5/main/home

#390 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Devo was a way better live band than Black Sabbath.

Best concert I ever saw was Devo.

Black Sabbath won out over The Ramones when they played together. Ramones got much better next time around.

#391 3 years ago

Motley Crue's first record was the ONLY good one.

#392 3 years ago

Heart played Zeppelin songs live better than Zeppelin.

#393 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Motley Crue's first record was the ONLY good one.

I never thought there was a debate on that.

#394 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Best concert I ever saw was Devo.

I saw them on that same tour. This was the show I was at:

#395 3 years ago

The Darkness is the best hard rock band in the world.

#396 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I saw them on that same tour. This was the show I was at:

Sure, but did you eat shrooms and stop at Naugles on the way home? I didn't even know it but RobT was in the vicinity at the time.

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure, but did you eat shrooms and stop at Naugles on the way home? I didn't even know it but RobT was in the vicinity at the time.

Negatory. Lotsa weed and ate bbq burgers before, leftover snacks from my buddy's brother's party afters.

#398 3 years ago

Sammy Hagar was only good with Montrose.
    Even Rick Springfield did "I've Done Everything For You" better than Sammy's original.
    And a song about the color Red? Really?

#399 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Negatory. Lotsa weed and ate bbq burgers before, leftover snacks from my buddy's brother's party afters.

Need a time machine to go back and do it on shrooms. Made Genesis at the Greek quite an event too. But Genesis sucks doesn't it?

#400 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

And a song about the color Red? Really?

Dude. If you only knew. Remember that 5 band Clarion car equalizer/ amplifier? Well, how else are you going to test it out? And don't say Slow Ride, as that was reserved for large home speakers.

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.