Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg
    There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.
    #301 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The only person that talks about being from Cali more than them!

True, but there aren't many of us that actually are.

The rest are just tourists that never took the return bus back to wherever they came from.

#302 3 years ago

Oddly enough none of the them are California natives.

#303 3 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Oddly enough none of the them are California natives.

Then they are tourists too.

#304 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Unpopular music opinion?
    Most heavy metal sounds like noise.
    Now get off my lawn...

Your post made me think of this album.

282891658682 (resized).jpg282891658682 (resized).jpg
    #305 3 years ago

Re: Lloyd Cole, Tragically Hip

Those are a couple of great albums. He has a greatest hits album too. Same with Tragically Hip. start with their hits..... great rabbit holes to dig into.

The first time i saw the Cure, it was an outdoor venue....i was 17....it rained....they sang their songs with no connection to audience....as i am leaving, i see my recently ex-girlfriend make out with another guy.....oh, did i mention i had mono ??? i saw them at Coachella too, same performance. But i am loving digging deeper into their older albums lately. Primary...the Forest...dang !

New Order ... saw them 3 times (i was and am a huge fan) but last time, at Coachella, Bernard Sumner hurt his leg backstage, did the whole concert on a stool while biting his fingernails..

#306 3 years ago

Speaking of concerts, I saw NiN and Soundgarden at the Shoreline.
    I went into it being mildly excited. I left thinking that it was the best concert I've ever attended.

#307 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Belle & Sebastian should be huge in the U.S.
    Doves and Elbow too.

literally my 2 favorite British bands of the moment

#308 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Speaking of concerts, I saw NiN and Soundgarden at the Shoreline.
    I went into it being mildly excited. I left thinking that it was the best concert I've ever attended.

Best beach concert was Tears for Fears at the beach in Mandalay Bay, Vegas. Only one I’ve ever been to and loved it!

#309 3 years ago

Bruce Springsteen sucks.

#310 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Bruce Springsteen sucks.

A shot out of left field.

#311 3 years ago

Argue against the greatness of any of these 80's bands....
    The The, Prefab Sprout, Blue Nile, Talk Talk, Squeeze, Hothouse Flowers

#312 3 years ago

The second greatest band ever to come out of Canada (after Rush) is Sloan.

And, while you may have hated Oasis at the time, you look back on them fondly now.

Finally, Phil Rudd of AC/DC is my favorite drummer.

#313 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Argue against the greatness of any of these 80's bands....
    The The, Prefab Sprout, Blue Nile, Talk Talk, Squeeze, Hothouse Flowers

Burning Blue Soul is easily the best The The Album

Talk Talk's best Song is 'Hate'

#314 3 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I didn't actually realize Guns'n'Roses were still a band until the pinball machine was coming out, I thought they broke up in the 80s.

Well, they certainly haven't been very prolific in making new music. And this "hard rock" band has TWO keyboardists now? WTH?

#315 3 years ago

I saw the Clash two times in concert. And they were good.

#316 3 years ago

Goodnight

#317 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The The's best Song is 'Hate'

whoa! you are getting a little esoteric here. i like the cut of your jib. that is a difficult album and gets the least play in my house . He just released the album "see without being seen" which is BEFORE "Burning blue soul" Even more inaccessible, trippy and tough.

for me, its Dusk with my all time favorite song "Bluer than midnight"

the the (resized).pngthe the (resized).png

#318 3 years ago

Metallica S&M 1 and 2 are absolute garbage.

#319 3 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

Metallica S&M 1 and 2 are absolute garbage.

Did they get into the adult video business?

#320 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Talk Talk's best Song is 'Hate'

Soul Mining is my favorite The The album though I have to admit, I haven't explored much of their back catalog.

#321 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

...He just released the album "see without being seen" which is BEFORE "Burning blue soul" ...

WTF was he like 12 when he made it?!

Quoted from PismoArcade:

...I have to admit, I haven't explored much of their back catalog.

Burning blue Soul is for sure one of a kind.

#322 3 years ago

you cant go wrong with "Soul Mining", "Infected" and "Dusk" - trifecta of greatness

Nakedself is also excellent but not at the level of those 3. And his cover album of "hank Williams" tunes never really connected with me.

"Burning blue soul" is a challenge. even as a huge fan, it requires a "mood". i'm spinning it tonight.

#323 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Soul Mining is my favorite The The album though

I've still got that on vinyl from upon release.

#324 3 years ago

I'd rather listen to Magazine than Rush.

#325 3 years ago

Sad Lovers and Giants, anyone?

First Clan of Xymox album was also pretty badass. Then they changed their name to Xymox and it was all downhill.

There was a band on Creation Records called The Times. I’m pretty sure their album (Beat Torture) isn’t available on streaming services. But it’s one that a played to death in the late 80s.

There is a band on Qobuz called The Times. But not the same one...

I NEVER should have sold my vinyl collection. So stupid!

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Sad Lovers and Giants, anyone?

Colourless Dream is an amazing song and one of my faves. I don't know much more about them, though.

Should have been a huge hit in the 80's.

#327 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Joe Jackson> Elvis Costello

double whammy! unpopular and incorrect

Quoted from Thermionic:

While I have the utmost respect for the musicianship of the Rush band members and enjoy most of their albums, the music doesn't really "inspire" me in the way Triumph does (the band's particular combination of uplifting songwriting plus Rik's vocals and soaring guitar leads just WORKS for me, I guess).

This is correct

#328 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

double whammy! unpopular and incorrect

Ha! I dunno...I've seen them both live several times and own everything they've put out.

Having said that, it's not a slight to Elvis. Love me some EC. It's just, for some reason, I enjoy Joe Jackson's songs more.

I turned a young Costello fan onto Jackson a couple of weeks ago and he can't get enough. I guess that's why they were on my mind.

#329 3 years ago

Paul Pena maybe most overlooked artist of the 70s.

Author and original singer of (and by far the better version) Jet Airliner. Also had a song, Gonna Move, which was later covered by Tedeschi Trucks.

Wiki here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Pena

His version of Jet Airliner here:

Spoiler alert - got dicked over by record company, went blind, lived in near poverty in SF, taught himself Russian and Tuvan, taught himself Tuvan throat singing

His journeyto Tuva was covered in the documentary Genghis Blues": movie can be rented on Amazon for 99cents or free on Tubi streaming if you download the app

#330 3 years ago

Agreed. Haven't seen the doc but will seek it out. Thanks.

I'm really enjoying geeking out with everyone on stuff like this. It's not everyday I can have a conversation on these unsung music legends.

Speaking of someone that originally had the better original version of a song, Shuggie Otis, anyone?

#331 3 years ago

I like this better than Pinball Wizard. (Probably because I've heard Pinball Wizard a million times and all of my non pinball friends reference it )

#332 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

It’s a certified Canadian national treasure that Americans never connected with the Tragically Hip
    New Order and the Cure suck live
    Lloyd Cole is under appreciated as he continues to release poetic, tuneful albums every year or two

I find these to be very popular music opinions, at least to my mind.

Although I disagree on New Order, they were brilliant live at the Sydney Opera House a couple of years ago (if lacking the rawness of Peter Hook and The Light)

#333 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Bruce Springsteen sucks.

Yes, so does Billy Joel, really awful!

I don’t know exactly why, but the songwriting by both just annoys the shit out of me. Maybe it’s all the Boomer cliches (I am 46 BTW, so it’s not just Millennial sour grapes) and lame attempts at being musically “clever”, I really don’t know.

I will say the E-street band was legit did some good stuff on the first couple of albums, but overall none of it resonated and I remain puzzled as to why he gained so much notoriety .

Billy Joel just makes me want to punch things, full stop.

Since we are busy skewering Boomer sacred cows here and I have already likely made some enemies, I’ll just go ahead and “go for broke” and say that much of Dylan’s stuff is outrageously overrated too. Sure he wrote some good songs, but they are almost always better when performed by other bands. Bob doesn’t seem to respect his audience enough to even make an effort to perform well live (and much of the time he won’t even FACE the audience he is playing to); while some see this as a good thing (the brooding behavior and sloppy performances make the art more “authentic” somehow - gag me), I think in reality he is basically playing his fans for chumps and has been coasting along for decades riding the “mystique” he and his handlers carefully curated long ago!

#334 3 years ago

No need to fight over them, I think Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello are both unbearable.
    Maybe its a bit before my time.

#335 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No need to fight over them, I think Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello are both unbearable.
    Maybe its a bit before my time.

Both always seemed far too clever for their own good, to the point that any charm gets neutralized by smugness.

#336 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

New Order was indeed one of the most boring concerts I have ever sat through, and I am enough of a fan to own ALL of their albums and many of the singles comps.! Most of the "action" centered around Gillian's keyboard playing and impressive skill and dexterity at swapping 5.25" floppies on-tempo. Bernard mostly just stood there motionless singing and whacking an electronic drum pad to trigger stuff (minimal actual guitar playing, but lots of canned parts played via sequencer), Hook basically didn't move, and there were no surprises or anything else to make it really stand out. Maybe they were simply coked out of their minds and ultra-focused or something, after all it WAS the mid-80s!

I saw them for the only time a few years ago at Summerfest, and it was a fabulous show. Kind of short, but the audience was electric and the band picked up on it.

#337 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Both always seemed far too clever for their own good, to the point that any charm gets neutralized by smugness.

Maybe, but both created a library of some damn good pop/rock songs.

#338 3 years ago

I never liked the Dead Milkmen or the Violent Femmes.

The Moldy Peaches suck too.

#339 3 years ago

Ronnie Montrose did some of his best work on Gamma 1, 2, and 3. I used to wear this stuff out on vinyl back in the day.

#340 3 years ago

I just googled "are there any good elvis costello songs," got a list, & listened to them. Case closed, horrible. It's like some sort of weird country but British blend of garbage

#341 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just googled "are there any good elvis costello songs," got a list, & listened to them. Case closed, horrible. It's like some sort of weird country but British blend of garbage

My absolute favorite artist of all time. He’s been taking a beating out of the gates in this thread. When looking at complete bodies of work, his catalogue can hang with anyone out there as far as I’m concerned.

#342 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

As a result of second-guessing your initial (correct) thought, you blew those minutes you’ll never get back on something you already knew was horrible, and now your remaining lifetime is measurably shorter! Next time trust your instincts!

#343 3 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

....his catalogue can hang with anyone out there as far as I’m concerned.

He could probably hang with vHager, but not vHalen, I'll give him that (little).

#344 3 years ago

Nirvana is way better when you slow it down and add reverb.

#345 3 years ago

Elvis Costello is like a 40 year long running Andy Kaufman prank. I don't get it, I think it's supposed to be funny, but it sure isn't any good.

I never saw the Stones when they were young enough for Mick to qualify, but the best lead man performance I ever saw live was Scott Weiland at an STP show in about 2002 or so. He was sober, in good shape and was fantastic. That dude had "it" when he was into it. He was amazing live.

Overall, my favorite group live was Beastie Boys. I saw them 9 or 10 times through the years, and never walked away anything but jazzed.

When Morrissey wants to perform and gives a shit and isn't being a total prick about something petty, he still puts on an amazing show. Saw him last year, which was a make-up for a make-up. He was way into it and he blew the doors off the place. But you buy a ticket to see Morrissey at your own peril. 7/10 chance you are getting a rain-check.

#346 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Overall, my favorite group live was Beastie Boys. I saw them 9 or 10 times that.

I've been lucky enough to see a couple of hundred live shows and the Beastie Boys at Santa Barbara County Bowl on their final tour ranks in my all time top 5.

#347 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

When Morrissey wants to perform and gives a shit and isn't being a total prick about something petty, he still puts on an amazing show. Saw him last year, which was a make-up for a make-up. He was way into it and he blew the doors off the place. But you buy a ticket to see Morrissey at your own peril. 7/10 chance you are getting a rain-check.

First time I saw him he did a 47 minute show, 1 song encore and I booed him as he scurried out the back door to his bus the fucker. That was probably Vauxhaul & I.
    Saw him 2 more time probably Mid & late 2000s and they were kick ass shows.

#348 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I've been lucky enough to see a couple of hundred live shows and the Beastie Boys at Santa Barbara County Bowl on their final tour ranks in my all time top 5.

They headlined a Lollapalooza in 94 and just killed it. Maybe the best live performance I ever saw. I'm a big Ad-Rock guy and Sabotage was brand new, and he threw it down.

#349 3 years ago

Joe Jackson Vs. Elvis Costello. Let the battle begin.

#350 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Joe Jackson Vs. Elvis Costello. Let the battle begin.

I think that one song was enough to topple the mighty Elvis.

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/7?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.