Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg
    There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 16.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Alex Van Halen is an okay drummer, not great. It always sounds the same: sloppy.
    Don Henley has driven me to hate the Eagles. Captain D-bag.
    Skynyrd died with Ronnie.
    CSNY overrated. Same goes with Jefferson Airplane.
    McCartney > Lennon.
    Harrison > McCartney.
    Flame away.

Except for you AVH take these are all dogshit opinions! (and really AVH is fine)

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

The Autotune has ruined modern music.

Auto tune is the symptom, not the problem. The problem is that the talent gene pool has dried up. Exceptions are there, but it's mostly a cess pool of wanna-be's.

#253 3 years ago

The Carpenters music and arrangements were for the most part absolute genius. (Of course, Burt Bacharach pitched in from time to time...)

I'm not allowed to say that around "real men" without them throwing tampons at me.

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Carpenters music and arrangements were for the most part absolute genius. (Of course, Burt Bacharach pitched in from time to time...)
    I'm not allowed to say that around "real men" without them throwing tampons at me.

Karen was The Caprenters. Her brother gives off that creepy vibe. Some great music.

#255 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Karen was The Caprenters. Her brother gives off that creepy vibe. Some great music.

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

McCartney > Lennon.
    Harrison > McCartney.

Not from 1960 to 1966, Lennon was superior.
    Harrison's songs are good, but McCarntey wrote the basslines (and played guitar lead on Taxman) on his songs, so it isn't apples to apples.

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

That song never fit or made sense to me coming from him. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job on the vocals. It just felt obvious and schmaltzy to me.

Knowing his screwed up life, it seemed to fit for me. Tie it to the video, and it was spot on, IMO.
    That being said, most days, I'll spin up the original if I'm in that mood.

Quoted from gambit3113:

Pretty Hate Machine, however, was as close to album perfection as it got for me in 1992.

Not going to argue about that at all. Seems like it hit several of us at the same time(I was in 11th grade in 91/92).

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

I don't think anyone would flame you for Ronnie. I don't know anyone that listened to them after that.

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Not from 1960 to 1966, Lennon was superior.
    Harrison's songs are good, but McCarntey wrote the basslines (and played guitar lead on Taxman) on his songs, so it isn't apples to apples.

From Sgt Peppers onward, Lennon just got too weird for me. Especially his solo/Yoko stuff. Wings, on the other hand, fucking rocked it!

#260 3 years ago

Cheap Trick, One on One, is a near perfect Trick album.
    It didn't help that the previous record was a dog. And they had lost momentum. And the follow up to One On One was underwhelming.

One on One, every song is a hook laden rocker, as good as Heaven Tonight or Dream police albums.

Message for the Rockford Freeeek Kingdom.

20201013_113735 (resized).jpg20201013_113735 (resized).jpg
    #261 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Alex Van Halen is an okay drummer, not great. It always sounds the same: sloppy.
    Don Henley has driven me to hate the Eagles. Captain D-bag.
    CSNY overrated. Same goes with Jefferson Airplane.
    McCartney > Lennon.
    Harrison > McCartney.
    Rush is a poor man's Triumph.
    Flame away.

The only thing I take issue with is Airplane being "overrated"; I agree there are 3-4 songs which have been hugely overexposed and the Starship era was pure cheese, but "Baxter's", "Crown of Creation", and "Bless it's Pointed Little Head" are 60s masterpieces.

CSNY on the other hand is an eternal mystery to me; definitely overrated, and unbelievable that SO MUCH (largely unwarranted) ego could originate in such a relatively small place as Laurel Canyon.

Harrison was probably the best musician in the Beatles, but once he started noodling with the sitar I think he lost interest in playing Rock and didn't really do anything all that compelling (to me) as a solo artist.

Frey was just about as big of a d-bag as Henley, and I think the two of them were musically stifling to Walsh and Felder.

To borrow a phrase Ginger Baker once spoke about John Bonham and Keith Moon: "[AVH] had technique but he couldn't swing a sack of shit!"

While I have the utmost respect for the musicianship of the Rush band members and enjoy most of their albums, the music doesn't really "inspire" me in the way Triumph does (the band's particular combination of uplifting songwriting plus Rik's vocals and soaring guitar leads just WORKS for me, I guess).

Skynyrd did die with Ronnie, but it doesn't really matter because Outlaws "Green Grass and High Tides" is the best Southern Rock anthem of all time, and is really all you need from the genre!

#262 3 years ago

Modest Mouse put out their best music before 95% of the world knew who they were. And I love almost everything they did after that Johnny Maar lick put them on the map. But The Lonesome Crowded West was their peak.

The Pixies had two gears: noisy mess and fucking art.

John Lydon’s best work was with PiL.

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

The only thing I take issue with is Airplane being "overrated"; I agree there are 3-4 songs which have been hugely overexposed and the Starship era was pure cheese, but "Baxter's", "Crown of Creation", and "Bless it's Pointed Little Head" are 60s masterpieces.
    CSNY on the other hand is an eternal mystery to me; definitely overrated, and unbelievable that SO MUCH (largely unwarranted) ego could originate in such a relatively small place as Laurel Canyon.
    Harrison was probably the best musician in the Beatles, but once he started noodling with the sitar I think he lost interest in playing Rock and didn't really do anything all that compelling (to me) as a solo artist.
    Frey was just about as big of a d-bag as Henley, and I think the two of them were musically stifling to Walsh and Felder.
    To borrow a phrase Ginger Baker once spoke about John Bonham and Keith Moon: "[AVH] had technique but he couldn't swing a sack of shit!"
    While I have the utmost respect for the musicianship of the Rush band members and enjoy most of their albums, the music doesn't really "inspire" me in the way Triumph does (the band's particular combination of uplifting songwriting plus Rik's vocals and soaring guitar leads just WORKS for me, I guess).
    Skynyrd did die with Ronnie, but it doesn't really matter because Outlaws "Green Grass and High Tides" is the best Southern Rock anthem of all time, and is really all you need from the genre!

A brother from a different mother! Green Grass is the one song that is on my Top 1 song to have on an island. The recording is perfect. It truly must be listened through headphones. The clarity of that recording and the way it keeps slowly building like a tide, is unmatched. I think its an underrated song, even though a lot of people know of its title.
    I saw The Outlaws in 2005,06 and 09. The 09 show was after Hughie passed. It wasn't the same, not even close.

As for Rush, that was tongue in cheek. I've seen them 12x. Love both bands.

#264 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You forgot RIDE, New Fast Automatic Daffodils, Primal Scream, Moose, early Soup Dragons, McCarthy, and the baddest act of them all: Meat Beat Manifesto (not rock, but the best band from the 80s/90s to come out of England).

I think you forgot Sneaker Pimps (Chris Corner lead) and Slowdive!

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not a 90s album...could have been the best if it was.
    Leaving the door open to either 'Loveless' or 'AntiChrsit Superstar 'being the best album of the 1990s .

'Loveless' for the win.

#266 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rivv:

How about SUN RA?
    Some of my other jazz favorites are Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Pharaoh Sanders, Eric Dolphy, John Zorn, Thelonious Monk, Nina Simone, and Alice Coltrane.
    My unpopular music opinion is grunge was a boring trend except for a few bands like Melvins and Alice in Chains. And grunge should be forever shamed for birthing those post grunge monstrosities like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Bush, Three Days Grace, etc.

Damn, all those names are great. Especially Mingus, Coleman and Monk.

Grunge was basically pop music with down tuned guitars. It had its moments, but the best stuff still survives in the independent music scene.

Melvins are great. They started before the big Seattle boom of the late 80s and are still around to this day. They influenced one of my favorite bands, Boris.

Earth is another band from Seattle 1989 that is still around despite a brief hiatus in the late 90s. They are one of my favorite all time and easily my favorite of all the Seattle bands. Started the drone guitar style of music that inspired drone metal, notably Sunn o))).

#267 3 years ago

Rush still sucks, and for a pin is almost as bad an idea as VH

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Love the first two War on Drugs albums and some of his solo work, but I just can't seem to get "into" his stuff the way I think I should. I like him best when he is doing loud rock and roll, and can't quite seem to gel with the folkier stuff (which seems to be his main focus these days).

Such a cool band. I saw them during their last tour. Tunes are beautiful. Lots of Dire Straights influence. I regularly listen to a few of their albums while I work.

I do have one nit pick, tho: you can’t understand what the f*** he’s saying!!! Live, it’s even worse!

#269 3 years ago

Any Miracle Legion fans here? They are in my top 5 favorite bands ever... so fantastic!

#270 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Such a cool band. I saw them during their last tour. Tunes are beautiful. Lots of Dire Straights influence. I regularly listen to a few of their albums while I work.
    I do have one nit pick, tho: you can’t understand what the f*** he’s saying!!! Live, it’s even worse!

Love the last couple of War on Drugs albums.

I really like music that takes it's time like "Thinking of a Place."

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

'Loveless' for the win.

I saw them in ‘92, and it was the only concert I have ever left due to it being too loud, literally made me feel physically ill! We lasted about 15 minutes then went to the lobby, which was about as loud as most “normal” concerts in the floor seats, to finish the show!

#272 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I saw them in ‘92, and it was the only concert I have ever left due to it being too loud, literally made me feel physically ill! We lasted about 15 minutes then went to the lobby, which was about as loud as most “normal” concerts in the floor seats, to finish the show!

Sounds like paradise for me!

#273 3 years ago

It isn't that hard to post unpopular music opinions here. Or popular ones. Before pinside, I had no idea so many bands I used to listen to decades ago were still popular. Or could make somebody so much money without doing anything new of substance in half a lifetime.

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Modest Mouse put out their best music before 95% of the world knew who they were. And I love almost everything they did after that Johnny Maar lick put them on the map. But The Lonesome Crowded West was their peak.

I remember seeing them at parties and shows for a while before even paying attention. I totally slept on them because I was more into punk rock.

#275 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Sounds like paradise for me!

Well, that's what I thought too!

But sometimes too much of a good thing isn't good after all, something my 18 year-old self couldn't quite grasp!

The only concert that rivaled MBV in loudness was Sunn O))), but that loudness was more bass-oriented, so it was not nearly as piercing to the ears (and I had earplugs for that one).

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Damn, all those names are great. Especially Mingus, Coleman and Monk.
    Grunge was basically pop music with down tuned guitars. It had its moments, but the best stuff still survives in the independent music scene.
    Melvins are great. They started before the big Seattle boom of the late 80s and are still around to this day. They influenced one of my favorite bands, Boris.
    Earth is another band from Seattle 1989 that is still around despite a brief hiatus in the late 90s. They are one of my favorite all time and easily my favorite of all the Seattle bands. Started the drone guitar style of music that inspired drone metal, notably Sunn o))).

I am also a big fan of Earth, Sunn, Boris, and the whole drone/sludge/stoner/doom scene. I've seen all three of those bands several times over the years. Haven't paid much attention to Boris releases after Heavy Rocks and New Album in 2011 but saw them last on the Pink 10th anniversary tour. I am up to date on Earth, Sunn, and Melvins albums though.

It's interesting to think about Dylan Carlson's and Buzz Osborne's friendships with Cobain, since their bands stayed quite underground compared to Nirvana. I liked the direction Nirvana was heading with the more abrasive In Utero but still not an album I ever feel the need to hear again. But I do appreciate Nirvana more than grunge bands like Pearl Jam, who sounded like a lesser version of Neil Young and Crazy Horse's style from decades prior.

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rivv:

I am also a big fan of Earth, Sunn, Boris, and the whole drone/sludge/stoner/doom scene. .

YOB?

#278 3 years ago

Yep, I still haven't heard their last album, but I love The Illusion of Motion and The Unreal Never Lived.

#279 3 years ago

It’s a certified Canadian national treasure that Americans never connected with the Tragically Hip

New Order and the Cure suck live

Lloyd Cole is under appreciated as he continues to release poetic, tuneful albums every year or two

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

... the Cure suck live

Uff...that is unpopular.

#282 3 years ago

And this one, accompanies my previous one.

#283 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

the Cure suck live

Funny. Had a couple friends over the other day and I put this on just in regards to songs that had come to mind in regards to the pandemic.

#284 3 years ago

Red Hot Chili Peppers are red hot trash because Anthony Kiedis is the most cringeworthy front man in the history of rock. Flea is cool and a couple of their guitar players have been pretty sick, but if they come on a playlist or the radio...click.

#285 3 years ago

Unpopular music opinion?

Most music from prior to the 90s (70s and 80s mostly) is now outdated and should be put in a time capsule and buried for future generations to dig up. Or not.

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

When I think of them, all I hear is this:

#287 3 years ago

I'm not a RHCP hater but love this Nick Cave quote about them: “I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the f--- is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

When I think of them, all I hear is this:

Yeah, and the fucking guy is from Michigan anyway...and basically Chad Smith too.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Unpopular music opinion?
    Most music from prior to the 90s (70s and 80s mostly) is now outdated and should be put in a time capsule and buried for future generations to dig up. Or not.

And I thought you were an old punker. (well, maybe the seventies stuff should be put away).

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

And I thought you were an old punker.

download (2) (resized).jpegdownload (2) (resized).jpeg
    #291 3 years ago

The best band from Ireland is not U2 or Thin Lizzy, it is the Pogues.

#292 3 years ago

Paul McCartney's Egypt Station is undoubtedly the best thing ever released by a guy pushing 80.

#293 3 years ago

Unpopular music opinion?

Most heavy metal sounds like noise.

Now get off my lawn...

#294 3 years ago

Another unpopular music opinion-

I actually like The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Not enough to sit and listen to an entire LP all at once, but do enjoy their songs when they randomly come on.

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I actually like The Red Hot Chili Peppers....

The only person that talks about being from Cali more than them!

#296 3 years ago

RHCP put on a really good show, whether you're a fan or not.

And to all the haters, how can you not admire deep Dylanesqe lyrics like;

What I've got you've got to give it to your mama
    What I've got you've got to give it to your pappa
    What I've got you've got to give it to your daughter
    You do a little dance and then you drink a little water
    What I've got you've got to get it put it in you
    Reeling with the feeling don't stop continue

Pure poetry.

#297 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

And to all the haters, how can you not admire deep Dylanesqe lyrics like;

Hey at least they had some funky good music behind it back then. Now...not so much.
    That is a guess, I only hear their horrible radio tunes.

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey at least they had some funky good music behind it back then. Now...not so much.
    That is a guess, I only hear their horrible radio tunes.

Their 2002 LP, "By The Way" was their last great album, IMO.

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

It’s a certified Canadian national treasure that Americans never connected with the Tragically Hip
    New Order and the Cure suck live
    Lloyd Cole is under appreciated as he continues to release poetic, tuneful albums every year or two

I saw the Cure live once, and while it didn't "suck" it certainly wasn't the epic event it could have been.

New Order was indeed one of the most boring concerts I have ever sat through, and I am enough of a fan to own ALL of their albums and many of the singles comps.! Most of the "action" centered around Gillian's keyboard playing and impressive skill and dexterity at swapping 5.25" floppies on-tempo. Bernard mostly just stood there motionless singing and whacking an electronic drum pad to trigger stuff (minimal actual guitar playing, but lots of canned parts played via sequencer), Hook basically didn't move, and there were no surprises or anything else to make it really stand out. Maybe they were simply coked out of their minds and ultra-focused or something, after all it WAS the mid-80s!

Huh, I guess you are right about the Hip! I have to admit that when I have heard their music I always really liked it, but somehow never really got around to taking the deep-dive into their stuff, and there's really no good reason why not.

I had never heard of Lloyd Cole before, but reading about him a bit definitely piques my interest. I now have "Rattlesnakes" and "Don't Get Weird on Me Babe" queued-up for the drive home this afternoon, are these two good places to start?

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I saw the Cure live once, and while it didn't "suck" it certainly wasn't the epic event it could have been.
    New Order was indeed one of the most boring concerts I have ever sat through, and I am enough of a fan to own ALL of their albums and many of the singles comps.! Most of the "action" centered around Gillian's keyboard playing and impressive skill and dexterity at swapping 5.25" floppies on-tempo. Bernard mostly just stood there motionless singing and whacking an electronic drum pad to trigger stuff (minimal actual guitar playing, but lots of canned parts played via sequencer), Hook basically didn't move, and there were no surprises or anything else to make it really stand out. Maybe they were simply coked out of their minds and ultra-focused or something, after all it WAS the mid-80s!

Saw them back in the day and totally agree.

Going through the motions, no between song banter and they didn't play "True Faith", which I love.

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/6?hl=rivv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.