Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.
    #201 3 years ago

Rush sucks. Rush sucks bad.

So far, there hasn't been a band pin made for any band that I think is actually good.

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Best pinside thread is a very long time. Thanks OP!

Thank you!

P.S. Don't hold this against me, but I love Beck and think Sea Change and Morning Phase are classic albums.

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Thank you!
    P.S. Don't hold this against me, but I love Beck and think Sea Change and Morning Phase are classic albums.

I love beck too, but after listening to his catalogue I have come to the opinion that he is making fun of his listeners.

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Rush sucks. Rush sucks bad.
    So far, there hasn't been a band pin made for any band that I think is actually good.

"Working Man" excepted, I would have to agree.

If you didn't have a 2-4 week "Rush Phase" in Jr. High, you have no heart.

If your "Rush Phase" has continued beyond that, you have no brain.*

*Canadians get a pass, cause, you know, they are Canadian.

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Jack White is the only man keeping rock music alive.
    Saw him on SNL last night. Epic!

Best thing I have seen on SNL this century, I think! About as good as anything done in 1974!

Fortunately though, White IS NOT the only man keeping the flame! Ty Segall could be his musical "brother" and is even more prolific (Ty Segall Band, White Fence, Fuzz):

Play LOUD:

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Best thing I have seen on SNL this century, I think! About as good as anything done in 1974!
    Fortunately though, White IS NOT the only man keeping the flame! Ty Segall could be his musical "brother" and is even more prolific (Ty Segall Band, White Fence, Fuzz):
    Play LOUD:

Don't forget Kurt Vile.

#207 3 years ago

I didn't actually realize Guns'n'Roses were still a band until the pinball machine was coming out, I thought they broke up in the 80s.

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I didn't actually realize Guns'n'Roses were still a band until the pinball machine was coming out, I thought they broke up in the 80s.

Yes, they broke up in the 80s, when they still had all original members and were selling tens of millions of records and doing sold out stadium tours.

It’s possible to express disinterest in a band without sounding absolutely clueless ya know!

“The Rolling Stones are still around? I thought they broke up in 1967!!”

#209 3 years ago

Mark Heard is one of the most under-appreciated artists, IMO. He played a good guitar and wrote some great songs, until his untimely death. My favorite album is probably “Victims of the Age.” And one of the best songs that almost nobody seems to know about is “Strong Hand of Love” on his “Dry Bones Dance” album.
    104ACFD4-9DC2-431D-81DE-06AECF5599AE (resized).jpeg104ACFD4-9DC2-431D-81DE-06AECF5599AE (resized).jpeg3CACEF91-279C-42E1-A31B-08356E92A20B (resized).jpeg3CACEF91-279C-42E1-A31B-08356E92A20B (resized).jpeg

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, they broke up in the 80s, when they still had all original members and were selling tens of millions of records and doing sold out stadium tours.
    It’s possible to express disinterest in a band without sounding absolutely clueless ya know!
    “The Rolling Stones are still around? I thought they broke up in 1967!!”

Hey, it's an unpopular music opinions thread! I didn't listen to much mainstream rock in the 90s beyond Nirvana, I went mostly to punk and underground music shows. GNR were totally off my radar by then and it does look like that they did break up around 1996-1997.

#211 3 years ago

My opinion might be popular or not depending on where you are:

Americans should stop with the disturbing trend of following British English convention when using collective nouns with regard to music group names!

Huh, what?

What I mean is, for instance, this will never sound right to me:

Tool are a band.

I mean, c'mon! It says it is "a" band, one thing, right in the sentence! Tool IS a band! That's American English!

Let's show some American pride and say it our way!

#212 3 years ago

Band names are "collective nouns." They get singular verbs. The exception to this would be if the separate members were doing separate things: Tool are putting out separate solo albums next year, or The couple are taking separate cars to work.

-The Great Grammarian in the Sky

#213 3 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out when to use whom

#214 3 years ago

"Bassackwards" ended up being my #2 favorite song of 2018. I think Craig Finn's "God In Chicago" was #1*

"Bottle it In" hasn't left my turntable for a very long time.

Quoted from sunnRAT:

Don't forget Kurt Vile.

#215 3 years ago

Back to unpopular opinions...
    The Yamaha DX-7 ruined music in the 80's.
    Whammy bars that require locking nuts suck hard.
    Pointy guitars give you VD. (That one's from Paul Westerberg.)
    I love the Partridge Family. (It was the Wrecking Crew playing on almost every song.) We cover "I Woke Up in Love This Morning" and it f'in rawks.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I'm still trying to figure out when to use whom

Whom is the objective case, so it can't be the subject. Who is going with whom is the best way to remember it. ...with whom, to whom, for whom, by whom, etc.

#217 3 years ago

Devo, Buckethead, Afroman, Fleetwood Mac, and Lou Reed all have one thing in common. They are all sadly under appreciated and overshadowed by similar popular music of their time that was inferior to their own music.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Back to unpopular opinions...
    The Yamaha DX-7 ruined music in the 80's.
    Whammy bars that require locking nuts suck hard.
    Pointy guitars give you VD. (That one's from Paul Westerberg.)
    I love the Partridge Family. (It was the Wrecking Crew playing on almost every song.) We cover "I Woke Up in Love This Morning" and it f'in rawks.

You're right...we got off track.

+1 on Partridge Family. I remember begging my parents to buy me their latest album at K-Mart. It was only $3.66 for fucks sake.

Tom Jones "Live in Las Vegas" is nirvana. Kudos to Fireball2 for reminding me of this.

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Devo, Buckethead, Afroman, Fleetwood Mac, and Lou Reed all have one thing in common. They are all sadly under appreciated and overshadowed by similar popular music of their time that was inferior to their own music.

+1 on Devo, I have everything they've ever released. Love Mac (all lineups) and Lou Reed.

I know Buckethead for being a respected guitarist who toured with GnR when Slash had enough of Axls' BS.

Afroman.."Because I Got High"

I saw Lou Reed at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (2nd row) His distain for those of us in the audience was so Lou Reed. (I have the DAT recording somewhere)

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Tom Jones "Live in Las Vegas" is nirvana. Kudos to Fireball2 for reminding me of this.

I have played that record so much. The band is smokin' hot, the orchestra is right there with 'em. Tom is on FIRE: Hello Ladies... and Gentlemen...
    "Some people can't stop eating, and some people can't stop drinking, and other people can't stop.....drum roll... smoking. But me... I. caaaaaaaaaan't stoooooooooop loooooving you...

He does Otis Redding, The Beatles (even makes them sound good), absolutely shreds Delilah... and is an all around stud bull.

#221 3 years ago

Foo fighters. Every album after "There is Nothing Left to Lose" is repetitive non-inspring drivel. Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" is oddly satisfying.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from I-Closed-Wolskis:

Foo fighters. Every album after "There is Nothing Left to Lose" is repetitive non-inspring drivel. Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" is oddly satisfying.

Foo Fighters; Quiet verse, quiet verse, quiet verse.
    LOUD VERSE, LOUD VERSE, LOUD VERSE.

#223 3 years ago

Foo fighters pretty bland. Classic rock covers the best part of their shows. I like the idea of Grohl more than I like his music but really, that’s almost enough these days.

Rock is dead, long live rock !

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

+1 on Devo, I have everything they've ever released. Love Mac (all lineups) and Lou Reed.
    I know Buckethead for being a respected guitarist who toured with GnR when Slash had enough of Axls' BS.
    Afroman.."Because I Got High"
    I saw Lou Reed at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (2nd row) His distain for those of us in the audience was so Lou Reed. (I have the DAT recording somewhere)

See that’s the problem. Because I got high killed it for Afroman. No one ever even thought to listen to his good stuff. Leaving California is an amazing song. I saw him perform it live a week before he got so drunk that he punched a girl that climbed up on stage at one of his shows in 2015. I could literally shake everyone’s hand at the show in about 3 minutes, there was no one there. A lot of people don’t realize he actually refuses to sign a record deal and does it all himself. That really hurt his career but damn, I got to respect his determination to do it for the art and not for the money.

#225 3 years ago

For being one of the most important styles of music, due to its wide historical influence spanning multiple genres, jazz is still vastly under appreciated by society.

#226 3 years ago

I was born in '80 and never had any love for "hair" bands. I really starting listening to music with Nirvana, Green Day, and Soundgarden. I've been following the hype on the new GNR pin and thought, yeah, you know some of those songs are really good. To get a feel for GNR, today I had Alexa play their music for a couple hours. I realized, I don't like their music much, which is what I felft like in the day. They have some epic songs, but it's all about repeating a catchy line with good guitar and drums supporting. No wonder they haven't come out with anything new.

But....It's live "Live or Let Die" was meant for a pinball multiball.

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

For being one of the most important styles of music, due to its wide historical influence spanning multiple genres, jazz is still vastly under appreciated by society.

I totally agree. Two of my favorite Jazz artists are Sonny Rollins and Mose Allison.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Foo fighters pretty bland. Classic rock covers the best part of their shows. I like the idea of Grohl more than I like his music but really, that’s almost enough these days.

I've never liked the Foo Fighters, but those guys are all pretty nice. I remember seeing Nate in his earlier punk and alternative bands when he was younger. Growing up in Seattle it was weird to see people and bands get famous that you would see at parties and smaller shows. I used to run into Kurt Cobain occasionally and the Soundgarden guys were often bowling on the cheap pitcher night where we'd bowl.

#229 3 years ago

Yeah I’m glad he’s out there keeping the rock torch burning. There are very few.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

KRS-ONE is criminally underrated.

Agreed.
    Side note: I once worked with a chick that looked exactly like KRS-ONE. True story.

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

KRS-ONE is criminally underrated.

I thought he was criminally minded?

Criminal_Minded_Album_Cover (resized).jpgCriminal_Minded_Album_Cover (resized).jpg
    #232 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Don't forget Kurt Vile.

Love the first two War on Drugs albums and some of his solo work, but I just can't seem to get "into" his stuff the way I think I should. I like him best when he is doing loud rock and roll, and can't quite seem to gel with the folkier stuff (which seems to be his main focus these days).

#233 3 years ago

The Autotune has ruined modern music.

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I totally agree. Two of my favorite Jazz artists are Sonny Rollins and Mose Allison.

Art Blakey, Milt Jackson, and John Coltrane are some of my favorites.

There are/were a number of British rockers who cited jazz musicians as an influence. Bill Ward naming Gene Krupa comes to mind.

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Buckethead rules!!! I've seen him 3 times now and it's always a frigan blast. He does have a very um "unique" cult following I will say.

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

There are/were a number of British rockers who cited jazz musicians as an influence. Bill Ward naming Gene Krupa comes to mind.

Great choices.

I would add Bill Evans, Ransey Lewis, Cal Tjader, Sonny Clark and Dave Brubeck.

#237 3 years ago

Everything Clapton touches turns into a beer commercial. Drains the life out of the blues.

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheGiggler:

Everything Clapton touches turns into a beer commercial. Drains the life out of the blues.

No question! (And if it hadn't been for the late, great J.J. Cale (a better writer AND guitarist than Clapton) his career would have tanked after Derek & the Dominoes.)

Recommend any/all of the following instead:
    Peter Green
    Mike Bloomfield
    Rory Gallagher
    Roy Buchanan
    Robin Trower
    Danny Kirwan
    Gary Moore

Quoted from electricsquirrel:

The Autotune has ruined modern music.

It absolutely did, but I am not sure this is an unpopular opinion!

#239 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheGiggler:

Thank you! Somebody had to say it.

I've always felt that Clapton was one of the most boring guitarists I've ever heard.

E

#240 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh yah I forgot about them... pretty gross that they get trotted out every time some show like the grammys etc needs a "rock band"

They are like the only rock band left your mom may have heard of I suppose?

I would not say they suck but their music does pretty much nothing for me.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

How about SUN RA?

Some of my other jazz favorites are Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Pharaoh Sanders, Eric Dolphy, John Zorn, Thelonious Monk, Nina Simone, and Alice Coltrane.

My unpopular music opinion is grunge was a boring trend except for a few bands like Melvins and Alice in Chains. And grunge should be forever shamed for birthing those post grunge monstrosities like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Bush, Three Days Grace, etc.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Thank you! Somebody had to say it.
    I've always felt that Clapton was one of the most boring guitarists I've ever heard.
    E

Its all perspective... he was the first to do that white guys blues thing and get popular and everyone copied him to death.

Joe Bonamassa still makes a good living copying Clapton licks from 55 years ago.

I find him kinda bland too but he did start a whole generation on that path.

#243 3 years ago

There's a terrific Boondocks comic I remember from long ago where Huey goes into a record store wanting to buy a blues album and the clerk keeps showing him Eric Clapton albums.

#244 3 years ago

Don't Worry Baby by The Beach Boys is as good or better than anything The Beatles ever put out.

Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams is one of the best covers of all time.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams is one of the best covers of all time.

It is, indeed.

Conversely, Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is.....amazing. I am on the fence about which one I prefer.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It is, indeed.
    Conversely, Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is.....amazing. I am on the fence about which one I prefer.

I always felt like that was a cash grab move to put Hurt in front of Johnny and have him sing it. That song never fit or made sense to me coming from him. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job on the vocals. It just felt obvious and schmaltzy to me.

Pretty Hate Machine, however, was as close to album perfection as it got for me in 1992.

#247 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Pretty Hate Machine, however, was as close to album perfection as it got for me in 1992.

Not a 90s album...could have been the best if it was.
    Leaving the door open to either 'Loveless' or 'AntiChrsit Superstar 'being the best album of the 1990s .

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not a 90s album...could have been the best if it was.
    Leaving the door open to either 'Loveless' or 'AntiChrsit Superstar 'being the best album of the 1990s .

Ah, I should clarify. 1992 was my freshman year of high school and when that album was in heaviest rotation in my world.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Ah, I should clarify. 1992 was my freshman year of high school and when that album was in heaviest rotation in my world.

I thought that might be it. I didn't really get to it until 91, 11 grade, myself

#250 3 years ago

Alex Van Halen is an okay drummer, not great. It always sounds the same: sloppy.

Don Henley has driven me to hate the Eagles. Captain D-bag.

Skynyrd died with Ronnie.

CSNY overrated. Same goes with Jefferson Airplane.

McCartney > Lennon.
    Harrison > McCartney.

Rush is a poor man's Triumph.

Flame away.

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/5?hl=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.