Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.
    #751 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I dont know if this is unpopular or what. Im just confused... what is up with John Legend?
    I feel like I see this guy on tv or internet daily even though his music is piano based schlock and cheez as far as I can tell.
    Pretty generic and bland and its not like he's a great singer... plus dude looks like a bigger version of Webster from the 80s.
    people like this shit? I realize he has ten grammys probably but who likes this?

Not me. The guy's a dick.

#752 3 years ago

Anyone that gives himself the stage name "Legend" may be a little full of himself.

#753 3 years ago

I dont know if this is unpopular or what. Im just confused... what is up with John Legend?
    I feel like I see this guy on tv or internet daily even though his music is piano based schlock and cheez as far as I can tell.
    Pretty generic and bland and its not like he's a great singer... plus dude looks like a bigger version of Webster from the 80s.
    people like this shit? I realize he has ten grammys probably but who likes this?

Is he terrible like Josh Groban? Dunno why I thought of that. Maybe it was the piano schlock and cheese thing.

#754 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not me. The guy's a dick.

That may be also but I dont see him as being any more "talented" the the guy playing piano at the airport bar or something...

Maybe one of the few black performers old white ladies will listen to?

I really have no idea why anyone gives a shit.

#755 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Is he terrible like Josh Groban? Dunno why I thought of that. Maybe it was the piano schlock and cheese thing.

Groban just sings I think... hes a cheez ball too but I think old ladies think hes cute at least?

Maybe the same deal? some left over fetish for Webster from the 80s in middle aged women?

I just listened to him play at a Biden thing... I have no idea why anyone likes this.

#756 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have some friends who were in a 1990s band called The Bogmen, and they were hoping to bust out of the NYC scene. They got on the bill for the KISS reunion tour as openers.

I like this story a lot. Turns out rock bands from the PNW that get lumped into the rock/grunge scene had some pretty intense politics and commentary that got lost a lot of the time. https://www.newsweek.com/kurt-cobain-nirvana-anniversary-quotes-873688

Doesn't really matter if you like John Legend's music or not. Lots of people like boring bullshit music. BUT he does happen to be able to produce a good "hit" that "people" like and if he can make a buck doing that, fuck it, more power to him.

#757 3 years ago

"The uglier the musician, the better the music."

#758 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

True story. Rob Zombie, Al Jourgensen, Phil Anselmo, Kurt Cobain, Maynard James Keenan, Jonathan Davis... Bunch of ugly dudes, great music.

#759 3 years ago

See, now...you posted a bunch of guys I think were mediocre at best. You talk ugly but talented musicians, I immediately think Steely Dan.

#760 3 years ago

Now that we’re talking the Dan here’s an unpopular one:
    Can’t Buy A Thrill is the only tolerable Steely Dan record.

#761 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

If that was the case Lemmy would be Beethoven

#762 3 years ago

Meatloaf & Christopher Cross were no pretty boys either..

#763 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

And yet when I tried to learn the guitar I blew total ass. You need to rethink this.

#764 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

And yet when I tried to learn the guitar I blew total ass. You need to rethink this.

If I can play it, you can too!

#765 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

Guitar is a goofy poorly laid out instrument. It takes time to even get a noise out of it.

Takes some time to get some coordination and people try to do things that are way too hard early on.

I used to give kids lessons and you start them out with one finger sliding around so they can at least make a noise that sounds like music.

Problem is people pick it up try for a while and then chuck it. My brother did that... played for a few weeks and then said I suck and quit.

Piano is much easier to get going on since its all laid out and all you have to do is press keys in order.

#766 3 years ago

i'm actually quite a bit uglier than the last time i had a guitar. might be worth a revisit thanks guys.

#767 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

From 1979-1982, I was the DJ at the dance club Station 51 in SLO on Broad street. Proudly wore my polyester suit, gold chain and coke spoon.
    You Sexy Thing was good, but my favorite Hot Chocolate songs are "Emma", "Every 1's a Winner" and "Confetti Day"
    Rufus & Chaka Khan did indeed rock..."Stay" is one of my all time favorite songs, although "Do You Love What You Feel" got the dance floor jumpin'.

That guitar riff in "Every 1's a Winner" is killer.

1 month later
    #768 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Ever since Limp Biscuit left the airwaves I've noticed the accident rates on the interstate have gone down.

Why in the world would you say that??

#769 3 years ago

Unpopular music opinion: Led Zeppelin were more of a cover band than a real band

Evidence: Many of their most popular songs were word for word and riff for riff done by other musicians years earlier, who were often black, less successful and didn't get credited or paid for their work by LZ until they were forced to do so through lawsuits and bad press.

George Thorogood also falls into this category.

#770 3 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Unpopular music opinion: Led Zeppelin were more of a cover band than a real band
    Evidence: Many of their most popular songs were word for word and riff for riff done by other musicians years earlier, who were often black, less successful and didn't get credited or paid for their work by LZ until they were forced to do so through lawsuits and bad press.
    George Thorogood also falls into this category.

Eric Clapton

#771 3 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

The Rolling Stones are a WAY better cover band than Led Zeppelin.

#772 3 years ago

The parachute club
    Men without hats
    The song we built this city on rock and roll .

#773 3 years ago

It is amazing how much hate 'We Built This City' gets.
    I'm not disagreeing just commenting that this song really brings out the hate in a way that most other awful songs don't.

#774 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

It is amazing how much hate 'We Built This City' gets.
    I'm not disagreeing just commenting that this song really brings out the hate in a way that most other awful songs don't.

I agree ..it weird. Just seems like a cash grab terrible mail in song. 2nd place ..keep on rock in in a free world?

#775 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Probably because there's so much more history with that song than others? You have the cocaine death of a popular classic rock band completely laid bare in front of you.....? Just a guess, It's awful but not the worst thing I've ever heard.
    Wife listens to a lot of 80s channels and I find 80s cockrock Heart just as annoying.
    And If I ever hear Beach Boys "kokamo" I go fucking nuts

#776 3 years ago

I like it(holdover from my childhood). The only thing that bothers me now is "Marconi plays the mamba"
    Mamba = snake
    Mambo = music
    Marconi was emphatically not playing the mamba.
    Silly, but it makes me cringe.

#777 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Ever since Limp Biscuit left the airwaves I've noticed the accident rates on the interstate have gone down.

Speaking of "That type of Musak," I'll say Limp Bizcit is better than Korn & Lincon Park.

#778 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Speaking of "That type of Musak," I'll say Limp Bizcit is better than Korn & Lincon Park.

That's about as an unpopular opinion as they come. Although "3 dollar bill y'all" was a damn good album. After that, Limp Bizkit became mostly unlistenable.

#779 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

That's about as an unpopular opinion as they come. Although "3 dollar bill y'all" was a damn good album....

WEll there you have it, having a good album puts them above Lincoln Park!

#780 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Wife listens to a lot of 80s channels and I find 80s cockrock Heart just as annoying.

Try growing up in their hometown and you will find you reach a new level of being annoyed by Heart.

#781 3 years ago

Tom Cochrane& red rider had a few good songs back in the day. BUT..if I hear ‘life is a highway’ I instantly turn the channel. So grossly overplayed over the years

#782 3 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Tom Cochrane& red rider had a few good songs back in the day. BUT..if I hear ‘life is a highway’ I instantly turn the channel. So grossly overplayed over the years

Agreed not a big fan of the song but white hot and lunatic fringe solid tunes

#783 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I like it(holdover from my childhood). The only thing that bothers me now is "Marconi plays the mamba"
    Mamba = snake
    Mambo = music
    Marconi was emphatically not playing the mamba.
    Silly, but it makes me cringe.

Mambo is indeed a music style, but "the Mambo" is a dance. Which would be dificult for Marconi to send over the radio.

Bernie Taupin (yes, Elton's buddy, the lyricist who wrote it) was possibly going for "La Bamba." But that would only make marginally more sense, and raises more questions.

Maybe it was correctly "mamba" all along, some sort of metaphor saying radio is a snake.

Maybe Bernie confused "mamba" with "marimba," a musical instrument? At least that would be playable.

At any rate, anyone who thinks that's "the worst song ever" hasn't listened to much music.

2 years later
    #784 10 months ago

'Technical Ecstasy' is a great album.

#785 10 months ago

Rush is an awful band, completely unlistenable.

Kurt Cobain is one of the greater guitarists out there, not for his technical capabilities (which were limited) but for his lack of technique and overall bad habit making it just sound raw, incomplete and real. He played with feeling and emotions rather than technique.

Metallicas best albums are Load and Reload.

AC/DC sounds better with Brian Johnson than Bon Scott.

#786 10 months ago

No no no no no !!!!

These opinions are extremely unpopular !!

1 week later
    #787 9 months ago

Some opinions are heartfelt.

Other (pretend) opinions are troll bait.

Pretty easy to spot the phony ones. A thread such as this is bound to attract plenty of attempts at those.

Some of them are so ludicrous as to be laughable. It's not always easy, though, to tell if such an opinion was an attempt to be funny, or if the poster was just being a jerk. (And deliberately being a jerk is not funny, just annoying.)

#788 9 months ago

Goose is a better Jam Band than Phish because Rick is a much better singer than Trey*

(*if you think "Jam Bands" don't require a singer then you are wrong)

You can't be a "Deadhead" if you were born after about 1975*

(*Just because you and your friends like to wear Tie-Dyes from Amazon and get shitfaced at Garcia-less iterations of bands playing Grateful Dead songs that doesn't necessarily make you a Deadhead but should in no way change your enjoyment of their music)

#789 9 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Goose is a better Jam Band than Phish because Rick is a much better singer than Trey*
    (*if you think "Jam Bands" don't require a singer then you are wrong)

You can't be a "Deadhead" if you were born after about 1975*
    (*Just because you and your friends like to wear Tie-Dyes from Amazon and get shitfaced at Garcia-less iterations of bands playing Grateful Dead songs that doesn't necessarily make you a Deadhead but should in no way change your enjoyment of their music)

Ha that's fair. Had a big Dead Head buddy and we are 75. He was always excited to get some new Buckeye Lake bootleg or some shit; weirdo.
    I guess they just call them recordings probably.

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/16?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.