Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 789 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20201028_161015 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160911 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160954 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160854 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160808 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160730 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160717 (resized).jpg
    20201028_160649 (resized).jpg
    listing_photo_136382483126870995 (resized).jpeg
    0C1B4630-C231-4C01-A72A-A20824F0B94B (resized).jpeg
    90D58CE8-FA8B-4F63-A6BD-AB1B735CD11A (resized).jpeg
    download (4) (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    martha-vandellas (resized).jpg
    There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 16.
    #551 3 years ago

This is a perfect theme song for pinside.

#552 3 years ago

Your favorite band sucks

#553 3 years ago
    Quoted from midniight:

Your favorite band sucks

So does yours and anybody else's here.

#554 3 years ago

Reggae is just ska at half speed.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#555 3 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Reggae is just ska at half speed.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

I saw the Mad Caddies live once. Awesome show!

#556 3 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This is bound to be unpopular. I know they are revered. I never cared for the Ramones. All their songs mostly sound the same and I just couldn't ever get into their sound. I think they had one song that I sorta kinda liked.

I love the ramones but you hit the nail on the head with your review. Was that one song "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg"?

#557 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And Jethro Tull was the best choice for the Grammy hard rock winner in 1989.

The flute is a Heavy Metal instrument.

#558 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Roy Clark was a great guitarist and more talented than Slash.

Also has the entertainer pinball machine

#559 3 years ago
    Quoted from midniight:

Your favorite band sucks

Oops, don’t want to go there. My bad

#560 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

The flute is a Heavy Metal instrument.

Jazz flute is for little fairy boys

#561 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Jazz flute is for all little fairy people regardless of genitalia.

#562 3 years ago

G G Alin expanded the borders musically with a perfect blend of mechanical prop rock as well as shock glam.

#563 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

You sound like a ball of laughs.

The guy is trying to make his signature model so you think he's a whiner for asking you to do it the way he wants it?

That would be the point of a signature model.

Mebbe I wasn't clear about the level of nitpicking. He rejected a prototype because the distribution of eyes in the birdseye maple wasn't even enough.

#564 3 years ago

Here's a little musical truth: Jack Johnson has some fun low key tunes... but, wow is he boring as f*** in concert. It feels like you're hearing the same three chords over and over and over and over..... Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.zzzzz.z.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Snooze Fest!

#565 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Very cool story, did you work with any other noteworthy players? (Steve Vai, Billy Duffy, Steve Lukather, and Paul Gilbert were all big Ernie Ball endorsers during that time, ever interact with any of those guys?)

Most of those guys came later. I'm talking like 1983-88ish. Steve Lukather did come on that early too, but he was the good Steve. Very friendly and wotta player. We had a little bbq for the dudes in the setup area (like 10 of us) and Ernie and Sterling brought Lukather, and he fucking blew our heads off on one of the Earthwood acoustic guitars we used to build WAAAAY back in the day.

Albert Lee was around a lot. Super smiley, super friendly.

We made some custom basses for Tony Levin too. One had magnets in the neck so you could swap out fingerboards real quick. One fingerboard was a stainless steel fretless. We made a coule 3-string basses for him too.

Keef never officially endorsed, but we made 4 or 5 5 string models for his open G tuning thing. He liked the size of the early ones we made because he could play in a plane seat.

#566 3 years ago

Ramsey Lewis recorded the definitive version of "Dancing in the Street".

Negative. Van Halen has that honor.

#567 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hangernade:

Ramsey Lewis recorded the definitive version of "Dancing in the Street".
    Negative. Van Halen has that honor.

Sorry, Martha and the Vandellas is the only correct answer.

#568 3 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Mebbe I wasn't clear about the level of nitpicking. He rejected a prototype because the distribution of eyes in the birdseye maple wasn't even enough.

And so? Its his guitar.

Also Music Man necks are notorious for warping and having other neck and neck pocket issues over time which would explain that complaint.

Maybe that attention to detail is how you become a world famous musician that has companies asking you to endorse their products and make a signature model instead of being someone working in the factory making them?

#569 3 years ago

Eric Clapton is overrated

#570 3 years ago

“Escape” by Metallica off of Ride the Lightning is a great song!

#571 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

I never knew opinion was unpopular, but U2 rules!! Name another band that has had more hits over a career that lasted more then 10 years? 20? U2 live at Slane castle- epic.

I don't think a band has been bigger and then hated more. It likely doesn't help that Bono is... the way he is lol.

I was a diehard fan until they stopped innovating. Admitting that these days certainly qualifies as unpopular lol. Zooropa was the last album I was into. After that they gave up in my opinion. Saw their popmart tour twice and was thankful but I really wish I'd been born sooner to have seen ZooTV.

#572 3 years ago

Turn that bass down so it doesn't rattle the windows, and instantly it is greatly improved.

#573 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

That’s hilarious. Went on a road trip in high school, the C+C music factory was the only cd the kid had and it was his car.

I once had the pleasure of riding VA Beach to Myrtle Beach and back with The Outfield 'Play Deep' stuck in the cassette player.

Pure mid 80s fromage for sure, but it was either listen to it on repeat or nothing.

#574 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Turn that bass down so it doesn't rattle the windows, and instantly it is greatly improved.

My general theory of music is the shittier it is the louder people who like it feel the need to play it.

I live in a tourist town so every weekend night have to listen to jackasses blaring their "party music" going by in their car and shaking the house windows at 1 am.

As far as unpopular opinion goes here is one.

Any music where the bass drum is the loudest thing in it is made for morons....

#575 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Quoted from fnosm:

Jazz flute is for all little fairy people regardless of genitalia.

All I know is this is probably the worst album cover ever released, but I'll be damned if it isn't some of the finest soul-jazz ever recorded (with some tasty guest playing by Duane Allman, no less):

R-12421431-1534955470-1419.jpeg (resized).jpgR-12421431-1534955470-1419.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #576 3 years ago
    Quoted from midniight:

Your favorite band sucks

They are all overrated!

And also underrated.

#577 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

All I know is this is probably the worst album cover ever released,

No. This is. And you can't unsee it.

20201026_140946 (resized).jpg20201026_140946 (resized).jpg
    #578 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

Zooropa was the last album I was into...

Wow you made it that far? Joshua Tree was the last for me, but that leaves 3 perfect albums and a couple good ones. Hard to pull off.

#579 3 years ago

Schmidt's bass lines slay Grainer's bass lines. (luv them both tho)

#580 3 years ago

WHILE I'M AT IT, 99% OF PINS SOUND WORSE WITH A SUBWOOFER

#581 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

...As far as unpopular opinion goes here is one.
    Any music where the bass drum is the loudest thing in it is made for morons....

I place a lot of blame for this on the 21st century trend of record producers (and radio station engineers) attempting to make everything sound as loud and "punchy" as everything else with ridiculous EQ and overuse of compressors/limiters. The end result is that all musical nuance is lost and Tori Amos sounds as "loud and punchy" as Motorhead, which is ludicrous!

#582 3 years ago

The Doors aren't very good

#583 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I place a lot of blame for this on the 21st century trend of record producers (and radio station engineers) attempting to make everything sound as loud and "punchy" as everything else with ridiculous EQ and overuse of compressors/limiters. The end result is that all musical nuance is lost and Tori Amos sounds as "loud and punchy" as Motorhead, which is ludicrous!

I always assumed it had something to do when the world switched to shitty earbuds and low powered listening devices.

#584 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Yet somehow better than Jefferson Airplane. Gotta be rhe most overrated classic rock band

#585 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I always assumed it had something to do when the world switched to shitty earbuds and low powered listening devices.

I think this was the main impetus; more and more music is being heard on low-power/portable/cheap devices with poor inherent frequency response and dynamic range, so the deficiency is made up for in the recording. Unfortunately, this stuff tends to sound awful when played back through a good quality system; usually a mess of overblown, one-note bass, piercing treble, and attenuated mids (which is where most of the musical information resides).

A radio guy once told me that their goal is to have everything come across at the same loudness; apparently there is a psychological effect in having all music + commercials at the same loudness (lest the listener subconsciously ignore or think lessor of a "quiet" song or commercial).

Quoted from mkecasey:

Pseudo-psychedelic dreck with fair to middling musicianship!

If 60s L.A. psych is what you are after, proceed directly to Love and listen to the s/t debut, "De Capo", and the masterpiece "Forever Changes".

#586 3 years ago

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is far superior to the original by Nine Inch Nails. (Yes, I know everybody agrees, just thought I'd throw that out there).

#587 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I often liken them to the Milwaukee Brewers of rock-n-roll

#588 3 years ago

To listen to the Doors you have come from the school that thinks a bass guitar is a not needed in a rock and roll band. Or the school that takes LSD before listening to it

That being said, Alabama Song is an all time classic.

#589 3 years ago

As unpopular as it is to say so, I must say that negative opinions about The Doors are without merit.

#590 3 years ago
    download (1) (resized).jpegdownload (1) (resized).jpeg
    #591 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

As unpopular as it is to say so, I must say that negative opinions about The Doors are without merit.

Everybody who says they hate the Doors actually likes Doors songs.

Who wouldnt love People are Strange or Touch Me.

#592 3 years ago

Oh, don't ask why...

#593 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:Oh, don't ask why...

Show me the way to the next whiskey bar...

#594 3 years ago

Doors have plenty of good songs.

#595 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is far superior to the original by Nine Inch Nails. (Yes, I know everybody agrees, just thought I'd throw that out there).

I reject this. It's good, not better. It received more airtime because it was Johnny Cash.

#596 3 years ago

The Who's Quadrophenia is the greatest concept album ever.
    Eagles are the most over-rated band of all time.
    Morrissey > The Smiths
    Van Halen pin must have both Van Halen and Van Hagar modes

#597 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I reject this. It's good, not better. It received more airtime because it was Johnny Cash.

Even Trent Reznor said Johnny Cash made the song his own in more or less words.

#598 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Even Trent Reznor said Johnny Cash made the song his own in more or less words.

Regardless of Reznor's words, the original is made of win. JC did an excellent job, but I'd still give the edge to NiN. Especially in concert.

Random opinion: A Perfect Circle's Judith is the fastest way to get me from zero to rage of any song(but, strangely, in a very good way).

#599 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yet somehow better than Jefferson Airplane. Gotta be rhe most overrated classic rock band

Airplane: right place, right time. However both Casady and Kaukonen were (and still are last time I saw them) superior musicians.

#600 3 years ago

All the pinball dads yakking on about Led Zeppelin, makes me hate Led Zeppelin.

There are 789 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-music-opinions/page/12?hl=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.