Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0133.jpg
IMAG0132.jpg
Metallica_-_New_drops.jpg
Metallica_-_Old_Drops.jpg
image.jpg
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

Only LED's I've put in are in the mystery scoop (2 color changers under the pf - neat effect since they are not perfectly in sync) and fuel gauge (color coded to match the pf paint a bit better - red orange yellow green etc). Standard stuff otherwise.

So far so good with the new targets, they seem to be resetting only when they should, but I've only put 2 games on it so far since swapping.

#52 10 years ago

Did the springs like pinchrome said. On mine it's about 75 % better. Thanks I'm hoping that once I get some games on it the targets will wear in and slide past the mount 100 percent. It's easy to do and reversible

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Only LED's I've put in are in the mystery scoop (2 color changers under the pf - neat effect since they are not perfectly in sync)

I had done the exact same thing! It was the first thing some people commented on when they saw the game.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't know if anyone makes them, but would stronger / shorter springs to pull the targets down help?

No love for the guy that suggested a stronger spring? Waaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa...and I don't even have a Metallica.....waaaaaaaaa.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

No love for the guy that suggested a stronger spring? Waaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa...and I don't even have a Metallica.....waaaaaaaaa.

+1000. Stronger spring is the right fix

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I don't think you should assume this fix will work on AC/DC. The drop target assembly on MET is virtually all new. I'm also not convinced this fix listed above is the best way to go. Stern has known about this for a while now. They should come out with an official fix.

So you suggest what? Power off our games and wait for stern? That's a horrible solution. Of course we should go with the above fix. If stern cones up with something later, do that instead and in the meantime enjoy the game.

#57 10 years ago

My 24 has stiff terrorist drops in the middle of the playfield, I should try this spring thing on that too. A really good stiff shot doesn't drop them currently, you have to graze them. It seems to be a recurring theme with Stern drops, they're stubborn as hell.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So you suggest what? Power off our games and wait for stern? That's a horrible solution. Of course we should go with the above fix. If stern cones up with something later, do that instead and in the meantime enjoy the game.

What game are you talking about? You quoted my comments about two games. If you're having trouble with the drop targets on your AC/DC, I suggested you sell that game a couple of weeks ago. If you're referring to MET, I think the spring deal is a good short term fix, but the subject line above should probably be changed to: ***TEMPORARY FIX PROVIDED***. Like I said above...

Quoted from phishrace:

I don't think you should let up on Stern.

Do you disagree with that? Have you contacted Stern concerning your drop targets? Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you're having trouble with the drop targets on your AC/DC, I suggested you sell that game a couple of weeks ago.

I don't need you to suggest to me what games I should sell or keep (or really any suggestions from you at all). My AC/DC works fine - just like the developer intended. Cheap as can be.

This is a Metallica thread. There's no reason to think I was talking about AC/DC in this Metallica thread. I only commented because your post was about as dumb as it can get so I had to chime in. I mean come on, a workable fix is presented and you state that it's a bad idea and instead we should wait for Stern. What are we supposed to do? Power off our games and not play? Play them with the drop targets being rejected while we wait? Way better than a 10 minute fix that solves the issue. So, that makes it so I should sell my AC/DC?

As for my drop targets, if my drop targets aren't working properly, I'll fix them myself. I will not hassle with contacting Stern. If they publicly make a fix for it, maybe I'll email in to get it. Otherwise, I do not need their assistance for simple stuff. Shortening a spring is a fine permanent solution. Once that's done there's no reason to think anything would deteriorate nor is there any reason to pursue the matter further.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I think the spring deal is a good short term fix, but the subject line above should probably be changed to: ***TEMPORARY FIX PROVIDED***.

Why? There's nothing temporary about it. It may not be a factory replacement part, but who cares? They're springs...

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There's no reason to think I was talking about AC/DC in this Metallica thread.

The first sentence you quoted from me:

Quoted from phishrace:

I don't think you should assume this fix will work on AC/DC.

Then you went on to say:

Quoted from markmon:

So you suggest what? Power off our games and wait for stern?

Which pretty much confirms what I posted above:

Quoted from phishrace:

Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

You don't own one, you just want to twist what I said and argue with me. Try a PM next time. I never told anyone not to fix their games.

#62 10 years ago

Just a question for everyone who did this. Are all of you guys getting close to 100% on hits. If so did you make the spring shorter than stated. I hate to strech the shit out if the springs. It is much better but I'm still getting non hits

#63 10 years ago

After closer inspection I can honestly say I feel its a design flaw.....

Look at the angle of the face of the drop target. It actually angles upward. So when the ball hits it not only does it flex but it also forces the target too to move in an upward motion while flexing. If the angle of the face was slightly opposite or even vertical it would in turn push the target downward towards the p/f and in turn letting it drop

Lmk what you guys think ?

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

After closer inspection I can honestly say I feel its a design flaw.....
Look at the angle of the face of the drop target. It actually angles upward. So when the ball hits it not only does it flex but it also forces the target too to move in an upward motion while flexing. If the angle of the face was slightly opposite or even vertical it would in turn push the target downward towards the p/f and in turn letting it drop
Lmk what you guys think ?

Start slowly. A few windings at a time until you are comfortable. The drops will break in over time but the spring is definitely too weak. Mine work 95% of the time now which is more than ok for me at this point.

#65 10 years ago

Mine was giving me about a 90% success rate so I tightened it by a few windings. I'm installing LEDs right now so I can't test it but even doing it initially made a DRASTIC difference.

Thanks a million Pinchroma!

#66 10 years ago

The fix worked great! I only had one bounce back in about 25 games tonight.

#67 10 years ago

If only the drops were designed like those on the Flintstones..

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The first sentence you quoted from me:

Then you went on to say:

Which pretty much confirms what I posted above:

You don't own one, you just want to twist what I said and argue with me. Try a PM next time. I never told anyone not to fix their games.

You should change your name to Phishdrama.

I am increasing the spring rate on mine right now, drop targets with direct inline shots are always a little difficult. IJ is notorious for this problem.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

That problem must not have shown up I the burn in period. Lol

Stern's Burn In Period is sliding it into the box apparently

#70 10 years ago

Just tightened the springs, and I had to slightly bend the catch bracket on the second drop target (it was staying up) and its working fantastic now. I also just did 12-15 turns.

#71 10 years ago

Heads up to anyone doing this, carefully inspect the springs after doing it. The way the second drop spring is mounted; it may rub against the spring-side of the target after you frig around with it. I'd recommend getting a good visual on exactly how the spring is mounted and try to mount it without twisting it or changing which 'side' of the spring loop hooks over the catch for the spring - in order to keep the clearances between spring/target the same.

I played around with this idea for one hot minute with the mech out and then decided to leave it as is. But if it works for you, sweet, baby; sweet!

#72 10 years ago

For what it's worth, I tried this fix on my AC/DC which was also suffering drop the non-drops. This fixed the problem. Played for three hours last night without seeing a single non-dropping drop target. Thanks for the simple fix! Damn Stern and their weak springs.

#73 10 years ago

It is still not working for me i tried to shorten the spring with 8 notches, 12 notches and about 18 notches. I still get bounce backs (even worse from the first drop target they go SDTM) when i hit it at full power from the right flipper. I also added some graphite dust however this doesn't do much as well.

#74 10 years ago

Anyone hear back from Stern regarding an official fix on this. Like what they will be doing differently on the machines they are sending out now and if they will send some replacement parts to fix owners having these issues?

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Anyone hear back from Stern regarding an official fix on this.

Hear back? Didn't you read the subject line? There's a fix. Works (almost) every time! We don't need to contact Stern. d

The operator at Legionarre's in Oakland managed to fix his without stretching the springs. He told me what he did, but because I'm not familiar with the all new assembly, I don't recall exactly what he said he did. I do know for sure that it didn't involve the springs at all. That's one of the reasons I suggested folks stay on Stern. Stretching springs isn't a fix.

Tech support – Patrick Powers [email protected]
1-800-KICKERS

#76 10 years ago

Ok so this works like a charm on my machine. Did this on my buddy's and it did not help at all.

One thing we have noticed my machine when the drop are down appear to be centered in the hole that is cut out for them. My buddy's machine the targets are sitting to the back and left of the hole. We could not get them to move. So maybe a mixture of weak spring and non-centered targets is the issue?

What do your targets look like when they are down?

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Ok so this works like a charm on my machine. Did this on my buddy's and it did not help at all.
One thing we have noticed my machine when the drop are down appear to be centered in the hole that is cut out for them. My buddy's machine the targets are sitting to the back and left of the hole. We could not get them to move. So maybe a mixture of weak spring and non-centered targets is the issue?
What do your targets look like when they are down?

If the mech isn't centered then any rubbing on the PF wall of the cutout will absolutely make dropping the targets a problem.

Try loosening the mech (4 screws underneath) and move it ever so slightly. That may help as well.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from moondrummer78:

For what it's worth, I tried this fix on my AC/DC which was also suffering drop the non-drops. This fixed the problem. Played for three hours last night without seeing a single non-dropping drop target. Thanks for the simple fix! Damn Stern and their weak springs.

I was wondering if this would also work on AC/DC. I have been noticing a decent amount of "no drops" on the AC/DC & TNT drop targets... I will have to try this...

#79 10 years ago

Comment deleted. Angry over-reaction. Carry on...

#80 10 years ago

Just send an email to mr powers. I've been trying to tweak the drops for over an hour today and nothing works. However what i wanted to say is that he is on holiday untill the 24th. I just got an out of office email maybe that is why stern is responding slow.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Dirk:

Just send an email to mr powers. I've been trying to tweak the drops for over an hour today and nothing works. However what i wanted to say is that he is on holiday untill the 24th. I just got an out of office email maybe that is why stern is responding slow.

Chas is there but had no information as to the potential fix.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Try contributing to a thread without talking like an asshat and providing responses that are dripping in sarcasm. Just give it a try. It's fun. Honest.

Was the winking smiley I added at the end (that you quoted) not enough to indicate I was kidding?

Looking through the thread, you haven't mentioned if you've contacted Stern yet. That was what I was trying to contribute. Stay on Stern. This temporary fix isn't working for everyone.

I sent an email to the operator I mentioned above. If hear back from him, I'll post what he did.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Was the winking smiley I added at the end (that you quoted) not enough to indicate I was kidding?
I sent an email to the operator I mentioned above. If hear back from him, I'll post what he did.

Fair enough, and my apologies then. I was getting the impression that you were just trying to pick a fight.

Not to mention I just came onto the site to decompress for a few minutes after 90 minutes of After Effects work was lost after an "unexpected error" reared it's head.

I retract my angry post.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Heard back from the operator...

"Using Tri-Flow, I generously lubricated all surfaces of the drop targets that have any contact when sliding. Front and back, around the oval holes, front of the targets below the fangs that hold it in the up position, etc. This assembly is different than previous Stern drop target assemblies, but general mechanical knowledge can go a long way. The fix for the Megatron target not dropping on TF doesn't work here because there's no metal backing plate to bend out of the way... I didn't do anything with either of the 2 types of springs on this assembly."

I believe he uses the wet Tri-Flow. I'm not usually a fan of using any wet lube on a newer game, but it worked like a champ on this game. The problem with shaft running through the targets was related to a brief problem with the front target not staying up after a reset. A screw and washer on the end of the shaft had come loose. He tightened it back in place and that problem hasn't reappeared.

Props to TJ for passing along the info. One of the best ops in the bay area and has been for years. I would still suggest folks stay on Stern about this. It sounds like it's widespread enough that Stern should address it.

#85 10 years ago

Rubber dirt + wet lubricant = Gunked up mech's. I'll pass.

#86 10 years ago

No frign way I am gonna lube up my drop targets.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

No frign way I am gonna lube up my drop targets.

Did you stretch your springs?

Quoted from phishrace:

I would still suggest folks stay on Stern about this. It sounds like it's widespread enough that Stern should address it.

Quoted from phishrace:

1-800-KICKERS

#88 10 years ago

Yes, Its about 75% now but I have been busy all week so there is only about 20 plays on it . They should wear in the rest of the way.

I dont want to have toooooo much fun right off the bat. I just sit and stair at it alot and also try to figure out where I want placement in my lineup.

#89 10 years ago

I have to say . The more I play the better they get. So after do the springs and playing it the targets are getting good now

#90 10 years ago

I will add myself to the PRO owners that have hooked the springs lower and now have perfect drops - thanks all for the input/solution

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Hear back? Didn't you read the subject line? There's a fix. Works (almost) every time! We don't need to contact Stern. d

Well stated. Agreed. Pinball owners should learn how to do simple fixes like this without calling stern for every little thing.

Quoted from phishrace:

Heard back from the operator...
"Using Tri-Flow, I generously lubricated all surfaces of the drop targets that have any contact when sliding.

Holy crap are you F'ing kidding me?? Reattaching the spring lower is a thousand times better than adding lube. Poor buyer that buys that machine in a few months and has to clean all the dirty filled gluey old lube out of those targets.

#92 10 years ago

I would never use lubrication in a drop target assembly. That's infinitely worse than tightening the springs and not easily reversible. I have played about 30 games since doing the spring fix and I have only had 2 rejects. It was rejecting almost every time before. I could really give a crap if I somehow ruin the 15 cent springs. That's much better than the inevitable drop targets breaking from impact and game being almost unplayable.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Holy crap are you F'ing kidding me?? Reattaching the spring lower is a thousand times better than adding lube.

Neither are a good fix IMO. But I don't own one. I was just trying to help. Should I not do that?

Quoted from phishrace:

1-800-KICKERS

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I would never use lubrication in a drop target assembly.

Many 80's games specifically recommend lube on the drop targets. It's right there in the manual. I keep about 4 different types of lube available for use on pinball machines. As I stated above, I'm hesitant to use wet lube on newer games. I was just passing along info I said I would earlier.

Quoted from phishrace:

1-800-KICKERS

The op that gave me that info has been operating pins for more than 20 years and is one of original organizers of CAX. He's regarded as one of the best operators in the bay area. I play his location games regularly and I agree.

Quoted from phishrace:

1-800-KICKERS

#94 10 years ago

You're advice could actually damage a machine. These aren't 30 year old games. And no operator is going to lube a modern/SS pin mech. If its binding its because the mech is problematic and lubing it only masks a problem.

Ops want to keep games running and making money. Some will do odd things to accomplish this. I saw one use speaker wire and an alligator clip on an eos switch so they didn't have to solder and then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape.

If its not reversible (which gunking up a mech may not be without a ton of work) I wouldn't do it. When stern comes out with a proper fix I'm sure all will apply it but. The fix listed above which it seems like everyone is having decent success with is reversible and if you mess a spring up cost you 15 cents.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You're advice could actually damage a machine.

It's not my advice. Just passing along info, like I said I would. I'll never do that again. My apologies. Hope your game isn't damaged too badly.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Neither are a good fix IMO. But I don't own one. I was just trying to help. Should I not do that?

When your advice is bad, you should not help. Lubing the mech is terrible advice. Further, your constant thrashing of a totally working solution (adjusting the spring) indicates you are not trying to help. So yea, I'd suggest you don't help here.

Quoted from phishrace:

It's not my advice. Just passing along info, like I said I would. I'll never do that again. My apologies. Hope your game isn't damaged too badly.

It is your advice. You presented the info backing it up saying how great the operator is that did this. You presented the solution and strongly endorsed the guy that did it. That's your advice.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So yea, I'd suggest you don't help here.

I'd suggest you stop humping my leg. I've tried to offer help here. All you've done is bash me. I get that you don't like what I said about you concerning your AC/DC. When you let it spill over into other threads, it only make you look bad. Like you have a chip on your shoulder. If you don't like what I post, don't read it.

Telling anyone here not to help is crazy. Think about it.

#98 10 years ago

I'm telling you guys The angel of the drop has a lot to do with it. Ball pushes it up and within ai to second it's over

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I'd suggest you stop humping my leg. I've tried to offer help here. All you've done is bash me. I get that you don't like what I said about you concerning your AC/DC. When you let it spill over into other threads, it only make you look bad. Like you have a chip on your shoulder. If you don't like what I post, don't read it.
Telling anyone here not to help is crazy. Think about it.

I have no chip on my shoulder. Neither this thread nor my responses to you have anything to do with AC/DC (something you seem to keep bringing up for some reason). Rather than assume I'm coming at you due to some personal vendetta, perhaps you should consider that all the "advice" you have given here is poor - and I am addressing only that.

As far as bashing you, I am not bashing you. I have said nothing personally against you. I don't like what you have posted in this thread because you are giving (in my opinion) bad advice to other people here, and I cannot stay quiet while people take your advice and ruin their machines. There has been a great suggestion that fixes this problem given above with extending the spring. You have repeatedly interrupted telling people to not do that, wait for stern, (maybe that takes months but who needs to play the games in the meantime anyway), and finally you endorse lubrication instead. All terrible advice. Sorry, but if this is your "help", then please do not give any

I do not have any personal vendetta against you and, to be totally honest, I have no idea what you are talking about when you keep bringing up "the AC/DC thread". I'm involved in a lot of threads on pinside and I cannot remember whom I respond to half the time nor do I take count of the particular threads I'm on. Instead, I simply read what is stated and respond accordingly.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I'm telling you guys The angel of the drop has a lot to do with it. Ball pushes it up and within ai to second it's over

I think you are right i've tried it all so far but my drops stay up 30% of the time. I increased the spring tension etc etc however it is just not working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,600 (OBO)
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unplayable-drop-targets-metallica-pro-anyone-have-a-fix/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.