Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0133.jpg
IMAG0132.jpg
Metallica_-_New_drops.jpg
Metallica_-_Old_Drops.jpg
image.jpg
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Ok, I know this has been brought up ad-nauseum at this point, but my case seems to particularly severe...

First off, I LOVE the game. Couldn't be happier, well, except...

The grave marker drop targets are quite unplayable. I know that direct hits will bounce straight off of them, as has been pointed out many times, but I can't even get them down with backhand shots. The only time they go down is if a ball (usually during one of the other multiball modes) GRAZES it.

I have had to basically abandon the grave marker as a game feature for the moment. At least until I get this fixed.

Are there any adjustments I can make that will help? Has anyone else found some magic dust that makes it all better?

Everything else is AWESOME. (aside from the opto/reset grave marker issue which hasn't really affected me as I can rarely get the drop targets down anyways)

Cheers,
Greg

#2 10 years ago

This... Same problem on mine. I can't remember any other game with drops EVER rejecting any shot regardless of speed.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

This... Same problem on mine. I can't remember any other game with drops EVER rejecting any shot regardless of speed.

My Stern Playboy would refuse to drop if it were a hard, fast, direct shot....but not often enough to be a annoyance.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Ok, I know this has been brought up ad-nauseum at this point, but my case seems to particularly severe...
First off, I LOVE the game. Couldn't be happier, well, except...
The grave marker drop targets are quite unplayable. I know that direct hits will bounce straight off of them, as has been pointed out many times, but I can't even get them down with backhand shots. The only time they go down is if a ball (usually during one of the other multiball modes) GRAZES it.
I have had to basically abandon the grave marker as a game feature for the moment. At least until I get this fixed.
Are there any adjustments I can make that will help? Has anyone else found some magic dust that makes it all better?
Everything else is AWESOME. (aside from the opto/reset grave marker issue which hasn't really affected me as I can rarely get the drop targets down anyways)
Cheers,Greg

re magic dust: my acdc cannon was stalling because the wires were dragging on the slingshot rubber. I tried some graphite dust. Just on the wires and rubber and its fine again! Dont know if graphite dust is the answer. Other than that its good to have difficult targets. Rock on man.

#5 10 years ago

Have you contacted Stern? That is the first thing I would do. I hope they have an explanation why this is happening and fix it for owners having issues with them. If you do find a fix please post it here to let others know what is up. Not having the drops working would really be pretty damn annoying.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited to clarify a bit.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Not having the drops recognize shots frequently would really be pretty damn annoying.

I don't think the issue is with the drop target shots not being recognized. I believe he means the actual target isn't physically dropping so the shot CAN be recognized. So it would seem to be more of a physical / mechanical issue than a switch, software or electrical issue.

Giving Stern a call is still sound advice.

#7 10 years ago

I encountered this last night when I was playing a brand new one, reminded me of the Bally no-drop drops that were famous in the late 70's early 80's. Didn't happen in inlane drops though, it was mostly with drops with rubber behind them. Are the targets themselves flexing too much, or are they bouncing back onto the hold?

#8 10 years ago

I own a PRO and I believe they are flexing back and then coming back immediately to sit on the rest , all happens in a millisecond and is a physical issue - I have no idea what the fix is, and I can normally work out fixes pretty well.

Would love some solution on this.

#9 10 years ago

Sounds like Stern needs to send out replacement drop targets that are more rigid or have a smaller lip on them. Seems like an easy, relatively cheap fix.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

WOF was exactly the same for me. Maybe its the exact same mech/target setup? I never completely fixed it no matter how I messed with it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113212237557936878823/WOFDropTargets?noredirect=1#5545921423721376210

https://picasaweb.google.com/113212237557936878823/WOFDropTargets?noredirect=1

#11 10 years ago

I don't know if anyone makes them, but would stronger / shorter springs to pull the targets down help?

#12 10 years ago

Never happened on my Future Spa! But that doth sucketh. It seems every game has its issue(s).

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't know if anyone makes them, but would stronger / shorter springs to pull the targets down help?

This would be my first suggestion.

#14 10 years ago

That problem must not have shown up I the burn in period. Lol

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Didn't help much on the Bally's, if the problem is the targets are too flexible probably won't help in this case either. A stiffer plastic would be the best answer.

#16 10 years ago

Unless you have some weird defect, replacements aren't necessary.

Since the game was NIB, the targets need to be broken in.

I suggest taking off the glass and repeatedly knocking down and resetting the drops to break them in. Roll the ball into them over and over to loosen up the mechs and break-in the drops.

In coil test you can trigger the drops to reset to the up position.

So ... knock them down, reset, knock, reset, repeat...

Keep doing this until they loosen up a bit and break in.

#17 10 years ago

It's not a mech issue. The drop target plastic had an elasticity to it. When you hit it with a solid shot the top of it flexes back then forward. The base never moves causing it to miss the lip and drop.

The targets need to be more rigid or springs stronger.

#18 10 years ago

Same on mine. The targets are flexing from the direct hit. You can actually see it

#19 10 years ago

glad stern saved .09 cents on thinner drop targets. well played stern

#20 10 years ago

Both my game and the one at the showroom had this problem at the beginning.
After a bunch of plays and breaking in the drops the issue went away.

I'm assuming we all have the same parts in our games, so hopefully my advice will work for you guys.

#21 10 years ago

Here is the fix. It's simple but careful with the middle spring. If you drop it you will have to take the mech off to get to the clip on the drop to reattach.

Essentially remove 18 windings from the spring on each drop. Works perfectly.

No rejects at all now. Even with a blazing fast shot.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Here is the fix. It's simple but careful with the middle spring. If you drop it you will have to take the mech off to get to the clip on the drop to reattach.
Essentially remove 18 windings from the spring on each drop. Works perfectly.
No rejects at all now. Even with a blazing fast shot.

Thanks for posting this Pinchroma. Hopefully someone at Stern runs across this thread and they fix the issue on the pins they are now shipping out.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Thanks for posting this Pinchroma. Hopefully someone at Stern runs across this thread and they fix the issue on the pins they are now shipping out.

I spoke to Chaz about a different topic but told him about this and he said he would reach out to Borg and let him know. Basically a spring with more tension is the key. Should be an easy and cheap fix.

#24 10 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, I just got into my office and had to read through all of the suggestions/ideas here.

Thank you all for your input!

Pinchroma, I've never owned a NIB machine before so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would doing something like that void the warranty at all?

Cheers,
Greg

#25 10 years ago

Alex beat me to it. The spring likely does not have enough tension to pull the target down before it bounces off the backing and back onto the holding bar/lip. A tighter spring likely will be the fix.

#26 10 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, I just got into my office and had to read through all of the suggestions/ideas here.
Thank you all for your input!
Pinchroma, I've never owned a NIB machine before so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would doing something like that void the warranty at all?
Cheers,
Greg

Nope...

#27 10 years ago

If they were that touchy about the warranty they'd never survive as a company. Pinball is a hands on hobby.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

If they were that touchy about the warranty they'd never survive as a company. Pinball is a hands on hobby.

I find (with my luck) it's always best to err on the side of caution.

#29 10 years ago

I just realized that you didn't even cut the springs, but rather just reseated them with more tension.

Coffee must not have kicked in yet... That'll learn me to pay more attention to things I'm reading/looking at.

Oops.

#30 10 years ago

Springs moved.. Drops down. Nice. I was thinking of doing something with the springs, was just lazy until I read this post!

#31 10 years ago

Nice job Alex. This issue seems to be the same with both my ACDC and Metallica. My Metallica does is like once every ten shoots where as my AC/DC drop targets reject hits all the time.

#32 10 years ago

I'll be doing this myself when I get home today.

Now I guess I'll get to see this opto/reset problem I keep hearing out.

#33 10 years ago

If you do, I've heard you can just cut some black construction paper and roll up a little "tube" to help guide the opto lights

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

If you do, I've heard you can just cut some black construction paper and roll up a little "tube" to help guide the opto lights

Aha! Good to know. Thanks!

#35 10 years ago

Springs, genius. Good to see an easy fix.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

This issue seems to be the same with both my ACDC and Metallica. My Metallica does is like once every ten shoots where as my AC/DC drop targets reject hits all the time.

I don't think you should assume this fix will work on AC/DC. The drop target assembly on MET is virtually all new. I'm also not convinced this fix listed above is the best way to go. Stern has known about this for a while now. They should come out with an official fix.

Quoted from fattrain:

I think the idea is to prevent the flasher LED's above the playfield from interfering. The opening around the drop targets is much bigger than the drop targets themselves. That light needs to be blocked.

Stern really should be on this. They shouldn't be waiting for some 'power pack' down the road. You guys that own one should stay on them. Both problems sound like they can be fixed without assistance from Stern, but it sounds like they're widespread enough so that Stern should address them (soon). If they have to wait for a part to be made (to block light), they should let folks know.

#37 10 years ago

I have no clue what Stern assemblies look like, but tronger springs seem to be the answer to me. Just try looping the existing spring a bunch of times thru the anchor or drop target.

EDIT: nvm i see we've found a possible remedy

The other suggestion would be trying to affix a strip of metal down the spine/neck of the target to stiffen it - maybe a small strip of spring steel or a dowel pin.

Really it souldnt be necessary :\

#38 10 years ago

OP, if you can, change the title to add SOLVED, or something of that nature to the thread.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Stern has known about this for a while now. They should come out with an official fix.

Good idea, I will wait and see.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I don't think you should assume this fix will work on AC/DC. The drop target assembly on MET is virtually all new. I'm also not convinced this fix listed above is the best way to go. Stern has known about this for a while now. They should come out with an official fix.

I think the idea is to prevent the flasher LED's above the playfield from interfering. The opening around the drop targets is much bigger than the drop targets themselves. That light needs to be blocked.
Stern really should be on this. They shouldn't be waiting for some 'power pack' down the road. You guys that own one should stay on them. Both problems sound like they can be fixed without assistance from Stern, but it sounds like they're widespread enough so that Stern should address them (soon). If they have to wait for a part to be made (to block light), they should let folks know.

It fixed it 100% for me and has no unintended effects. Whats the worst case scenario? You stretch a $.01c spring? It should be perfect. I played 25 games after making the change this morning and not a single rejection. I was previously rejecting about 90%

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It fixed it 100% for me and has no unintended effects. Whats the worst case scenario? You stretch a $.01c spring? It should be perfect. I played 25 games after making the change this morning and not a single rejection.

This has been a common fix for many years for drop target issues. I did the same thing on my Centaur and it drastically reduced the number of rejections I was getting from the ORB drop bank.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

There's a fix like that on my Dr. Who's Time Expander opto bank. There's a "tube" of electrical tape around a few of the optos. It stops light leak which was causes some wacky switch problems.

#43 10 years ago

I'll be doing this myself when I get home today.

The problem with the opto reset/random cross hits, on my machine was the flasher under the left ramp. I replaced it with a flat top led pointing straight up and no problems since. If you dont have an led just remove until you get one. Worked for me.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It fixed it 100% for me and has no unintended effects. Whats the worst case scenario? You stretch a $.01c spring? It should be perfect. I played 25 games after making the change this morning and not a single rejection. I was previously rejecting about 90%

Glad to hear it. There are a couple of things to consider though. First, not every games is having this problem. Some are just fine right out of the box. Hopefully Stern will identify exactly what the problem is. Secondly, the ends of those springs hanging out look like crap. If Stern were to send out stronger springs that are the correct size, wouldn't you install them? I don't think you should let up on Stern.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Glad to hear it. There are a couple of things to consider though. First, not every games is having this problem. Some are just fine right out of the box. Hopefully Stern will identify exactly what the problem is. Secondly, the ends of those springs hanging out look like crap. If Stern were to send out stronger springs that are the correct size, wouldn't you install them? I don't think you should let up on Stern.

Of course! If they send out proper springs I will absolutely install them. This is a good stop gap and I'm not concerned about how it looks underneath as long as the game is playing perfectly. I could pretty it up by snipping off the excess spring but then it wouldn't really be immediately reversible.

#46 10 years ago

I just got a new drop target assembly from Stern with the 'flasher blocker plastic' on it. There seems to be a plastic piece over the optos shaped like a cylinder and protruding outwards; looks like the intention is to block out light. Will report back with pics and comments. Now I need to go put it in

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

I just got a new drop target assembly from Stern with the 'flasher blocker plastic' on it. There seems to be a plastic piece over the optos shaped like a cylinder and protruding outwards; looks like the intention is to block out light. Will report back with pics and comments. Now I need to go put it in

Have a picture? I have a black plastic "shield" to the right of my drop target assembly thats about 8-10" long and about 3-4" high.. is that what you are referring to?

#48 10 years ago

I can't wait to try out the drop target fix with the springs. This had ocurred to me before, but I didn't want to mess with it. Now that it's tested I'm going in there asap.

#49 10 years ago

Here's pics of the new drop target opto board vs the old. Note the new one has a shrouding around the opto made of plastic (I took a pic of the same area on each)

OLD
Metallica_-_Old_Drops.jpgMetallica_-_Old_Drops.jpg

NEW
Metallica_-_New_drops.jpgMetallica_-_New_drops.jpg

#50 10 years ago

Interesting.. I don't have that sleeve on mine but i'm not having any phantom registers either. Did you swap out anything for LED's?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 149.00
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unplayable-drop-targets-metallica-pro-anyone-have-a-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.