1A8D593B-9D4D-4652-A21C-9B01511D23CC (resized).jpeg
554F400D-5C3E-4B83-BC64-4EF9FB9789E0 (resized).jpeg
4CF4C989-CE6E-4342-B90E-4FB887C5D6E0 (resized).jpeg
MVIMG_20190820_171420 (resized).jpg
65527303_10220150873427148_2703891979682447360_o (resized).jpg
22448499_1716747395002052_745714275879255409_n (resized).jpg
12107919_10153193842349786_1176609030339450141_n (resized).jpg
Golden Ticket Event Aug 24th (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seven9er.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11588 5 years ago

I've been a lurker on this thread for a while now and thought it was time I started joining in on the conversation. I've gotten back into pinball within the last year and have been finding more and more locations to play (much to the chagrin of my wife). I'm now looking at buying my first machine and am going between getting either a solid state (thinking a system 11 machine) like taxi/or a 90's DMD machine or jumping in and getting a NIB machine. Part of the reason I'm leaning NIB is I'm not confident dealing with the second hand market. I don't want to get taken for a ride from a seller as I'm not experienced with fixing a machine...yet. I fully prepared to learn but just haven't had any experience with repairs obviously.

#11593 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Where are you located?

I'm in Hudson. Right across the boarder from the Twin Cities, on the "correct" side of the river!

#11594 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You gotta work up to your NIB game. Get a $2500 game and see how you like owning one. It'll be better putting some money into repairs than taking a hit on a $5600 NIB.

Appreciate the feed back. One of my concerns is finding a decent title at the $2,500 price point. As others pointed out prices are out of control so it's pretty difficult to find a decent machine. I guess I need to get into more of a detective mode and start turning over every rock.

Curious to know the barriers of entry on a NIB pin? Simply more complicated, costly? I realize there will be plenty of adjustments to dial in the new machine and things are going to break and need repair, same as with a $2,500 machine.

#11595 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Time to make some new friends and get some hands on help. This can help you both in getting a game and maintaining it.
LTG : )

Yeah, I need to find a good league to join or something. Work schedule makes it hard to drive 30+ mins to join a decent league. I've looked up your location and will plan to make a trip over soon.

Thanks!

#11596 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

I would say get an EM and try doing some work on that to get some experience. Settle for one that may need some TLC. Rebuild the pop bumpers and flippers. Fiddle around adjusting the leaf contacts. Take the plastics off, replace bulbs, clean/wax the playfield etc..
I am just finding out (the hard way) about these new "node boards" and just how hard it is becoming (or impossible) for an average pin enthusiast to repair.
Sadly, even the EMs are getting hard to find at a REASONABLE price. Sample CL ad:
For sale, 1976 Gottlieb Volley pinball.
It's really beat to shit, has flood damage, and doesn't work.
Asking price $5000, because it's old, so it must be worth a ton of money.
No low-ball offers! I know what I have here!!!

Most EMs I've found fun to play but owning one just isn't up my alley at this point. One exception is Hi-Deal, a Bally from 1975. My family owned this pin growing up but sadly was damaged during a move. Was too young at the time to convince my parents to keep it around to get repaired.

#11616 5 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Is this decent league on the correct side of the river?

Tongue and cheek statement only. I love living in a small town near the Twin Cities. Absolutely looking for any league that's relatively close to me.

#11654 5 years ago

Stopped by the "Pinball at the fair" arcade at the MN State Fair yesterday to check out deadpool. (It's in the arcade right next door to the butterfly house.) Thought the game shot great, agree there are some tight shots, but overall very satisfying. Only got to put one game in as we were heading for the exit for the day. Looking forward to next weekend so I can stop in again and hopefully get a few more games in. Initial impression is iron maiden over deadpool, but deadpool isn't a flop by any means.

1 month later
#11853 5 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

I've pretty much spent all my free time this year tearing apart my basement and finishing it just to satisfy my pinball addiction. Putting in 40 hour weeks on top of my full time job and a pregnant wife has been a challenge. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that my machines were in storage until I completed. The wife being due in about a month has sped things up too. Game room should be done next week. This room is about 1000 square feet. My dozen pins will fit nice on the back end. Horror theme on the smaller wall. The rest on the back half of the long wall. I'll post another pic when everything is done. [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Congrats on the baby! The game room looks like it will be amazing when it's finally finished. Looking forward to seeing pictures when it's fully loaded with your machines!

1 month later
#11954 5 years ago

Hey all, so I made it out to St. Paul Tap last night and thought I'd share my two cents. They have a decent line up of recent sterns and the obligatory Addams Family. Of course, the Addams Family wasn't working, but they did have a tech (or a guy that appeared to be a tech) working on it. The machines all use a play card which connects via wifi like Dave and Busters. I'm glad I know where the power buttons are on the new sterns as I had to power cycle a few machines so they would connect and accept the pay swipes. All the pins were 5.5 credits per swipe with two swipes getting you 3 plays (works out to just over a $1 a credit). Seemed a little pricey, but if it means well maintained pins over time I'm good with it. Overall the machines played great, the beer selection is decent, food wasn't anything to rave about but glad there is another location with a decent lineup of pins on the East side.

Anyone else have a review of this new location?

1 month later
#12174 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Hey Josh jonogo here is a great chance to connect back up with lots of people in a one shot, coming up soon. Our first St. Paul based event in well over a year, so hopefully all you Eastsiders can make it out for some fun.
Munsters Launch Party Info:
https://www.facebook.com/events/374218916704553/
Come out and celebrate the newest pinball machine from Stern Pinball! There will be THREE Munsters pinball machines on site, so there will be plenty of opportunities to get games in! Beatles Gold, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, Guardians of the Galaxy, Addams Family and KISS are also on site and available to play FOR FREE for all paid participants!
This is a fun, casual event for pinball fans of all ages and skill sets. All paid participants are eligible for random draw giveaways, pinball prizes, drink specials and all the pinball they can play...plus cash, translites and a Grand Champion trophy for the top finishers in the event. There will also be Stern Beatles, Deadpool and Munsters Pinball flyers and other goodies that all participants can pick from to take home as well!
In addition to pinball, there are also PS4, Switch and Xbox consoles on site to play, as well as current hit arcade games plus classic arcade games of the past, along with life size Jenga, shuffle bowling and more!
Cost is $10 and that fee includes a free Surly beer (or pop), $1.00 Surly beer discount all event long, prize drawing entry, optional tournament entry and access to all the pinball machines on free play for the entire event!
Prizes:
Grand Champion Tournament Trophy
Ca$h
Surly T-Shirts
Surly Pint Glasses
Surly Hats
Stern Pinball Translites
Official Stern Army Dog Tags
Stern Pinball game fliers
Remote Pinball Battery Holders
...and more to be added!
Tournament:
Players can play as much as they want during free play from 12-5pm. We will take your best score during that time frame for qualifying if you want to play in the tournament. After 5:00, the top 16 (or <50% of the field) will playoff in groups of 4 until a Launch Party Champion is crowned.
Details subject to change as needed.
[quoted image]

The Munster's launch party at St. Paul Tap looks awesome! I'll be flying back from New Orleans on the 10th, so I probably won't make it in time. Are there plans for regular meet ups/leagues? I'd be interested on getting to know people in the local scene, just hard to find time these days.

2 weeks later
#12261 5 years ago

Anyone close to the owner/operator at St. Paul Tap? Looks like they are working on opening another location in Hudson, WI?!? At least I'm assuming it's the same owner, the signage looks to be a similar design. If this is the case, I'm super excited!

#12271 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I can try. I know he has Rochester so it isn't too far to think that would be out of the question.

I don't know the address or exactly where it's located. Maybe #Seven9er does? I believe the plan is to be a little more scaled down version since the space is smaller. Around 5-6 games I believe.

The address is 417 2nd street, Hudson, WI. It's taking over from the short lived Mexican restaurant on the main drag. Parking won't be fun, but the location will certainly get a lot of foot traffic.

It will be very interesting to see how many machines they are able to pack in there. As LesManley said it's a pretty small location to begin with.

#12287 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Dick's Bar around the corner usually has a pin in there. At Xmas it was an Iron Maiden.

Quoted from foxtj24:

Smillin moose has a star wars pro right now.

Dick's still has the Iron Maiden as of last week. It needs a good cleaning and some attention. The bulls eye target gets stuck and the ball gets hung up on the post back there as well.

Smilin Moose does have a Star Wars Pro with it set at .50 cents a game with the replay score set pretty low as well. It's still on old code so it's pretty cheap to play.

I believe they are both operated by the same company who clearly don't care about the machines too much. No code updates and machines could use a nice cleaning. I can't complain too much as they are the only machines on location in town unless you want to go play a beat up Jokerz machine at Hop n Barrel.

1 week later
#12326 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Hudson Tap will be at 417 2nd street, Hudson, WI after St. Patrick's Day. Munsters LE, Addams, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool and Star Wars will be there. It's taking over from the short lived Mexican restaurant on the main drag. I don't remember the name, but apparently a bar across the street already has several music pins there.

The bar across the street is Ziggy's (formally known as Pudge's) I've been meaning to stop in and find the music pins. I read an article in the local paper suggesting the pins are only available for private events.

I'm so excited for Hudson Tap, I drove by last night and saw a delivery truck outside, pretty sure they were delivering pins. Or at least my excitement was assuming they were delivering pins!

#12343 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

No chance of that here. We also went to Dibbos in Sumerset.

I think you are thinking of another place up in Somerset. Dibbo's used to be just down the street from Pudge's it too has changed. Lot's of remolding/turn over in Hudson over the past few years. Downtown is pretty cleaned up, still have Dick's Bar for the dive bar fans out there and they have an Iron Maiden pin too!

1 week later
#12364 5 years ago

Hudson Tap is now open in downtown Hudson! Highly recommended for those of you in the East Metro. Website: https://www.hudsontap.com/ They have a decent line up of 5 machines. Munsters LE, Star Wars, Deadpool, Guardians, and Addams Family. Guardians needs a good cleaning and all the newer Sterns appear to be on early code, but other than that machines were in good working order. Any one have experience with the Pinball Leagues at the St. Paul location?

#12366 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I help out at the St. Paul location. The inaugural league there has a week or two left on it. It's being run by Luke Nahorniak and has a nice mix of competitive and casual players. I know the Aspen Vending guys have been crazy busy with the new opening, but I will try to get over to Hudson and update the code on any games that need it and clean up Guardians. The Aspen guys will be in Vegas next week for the Amusement Expo and I will be going out there too, so I'll try to make sure things are in great shape before then.

Fantastic! I know the games at the St. Paul location are in great condition and I'm really hopeful the Aspen Vending guys can keep up with things in Hudson. Glad to here they are keeping busy!

Side note, the player cards can be used at either location. And beer selection is great.

1 week later
#12417 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Anybody see this post?
minneapolis.craigslist.org link
Just talked to him. A nice guy. He would like to sell large quantities. I only have funds for one maybe two. If anyone wants to pool, let me know. I lived near him.

I'd be in on a pin or two in a bit better condition. Obviously, I'd be willing to pay more then the $363 per machine for better condition.

3 months later
#12879 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I'm not the only one! I agree the people in this thread are very easy going

*Sarcasm*

I was fine with one Canadian lurker, but two? Now this is getting out of hand! <insert bag of dicks reference>

1 month later
#13021 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Played the JP flipper power was weak, could be coil stops or maybe the power? It was hard to make ramps.

Just left the fair. Played 4 or 5 games on JP. Flippers were sloppy and a little weak. My (hope) guess is it has been getting a lot of plays. Looking forward to playing it at Hudson Tap when it shows up.

3 months later
#13313 4 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

Well, when the games cost $1.00 per game, they'll just have bill receptors - no need for quarters

I'm guessing it's also a way to increase their price per game. I don't remember exactly but I thought you would get a "deal" by getting $20 worth of tokens at a time and get X number for Free tokens. Making the switch to quarters would obviously eliminate this and increase the revenue per game. I'm sure this wouldn't be a huge increase or the main reason to make the switch, but interesting to note nonetheless.

#13325 4 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Reminder, Pinball league at 7:00 pm at hudson tap on tuesdays. Need more players to keep league alive. Free to join. BOGO first drink at the bar.

I'm interested in joining. I couldn't make the first week but I'm planning to come next week.

3 months later
#13692 4 years ago

Anyone know who operates the Munsters Pro at the Xcel center? The machine desperately needs a bill acceptor or a change machine near by. I scrounged up a new quarters to play a few games, but there isn't anywhere to get change.

It was a nice break in between games this weekend for the Hockey Tournament.

#13699 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Wait, what? Where's the machine at? I park in Rivercenter every day...

Just bring quarters! None of the vendors at the Xcel can make change, as in there are no quarters! All prices are in round dollars.

3 months later
#14424 3 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Anyone missing the Kiss from St. Paul Tap it is now at T-Buckets in sommerset WI. Hudson Tap just got a new Attack from Mars SE.

Tom, What left? Munsters?

6 months later
#15566 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I’ll try to head over at a time that isn’t late night haha
Very tempting but still trying to avoid unnecessary travels if I can help it in case I pick up some of the rona at work :/

No joke, downtown is crazy busy in the evening. If you can swing it head over around midday during the week. All bars/restaurants are required to close at 10 PM due to the number of police calls lately. It is pretty amusing to count MN license plates vs. WI plates. Typically 10 to 1 for MN. Come enjoy/support our business

4 months later
#16184 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

If you're driving to the Twin Cities, stop in downtown Hudson, WI at the Hudson Tap. Nice little setup, and when I was there in the afternoon pre-pandemic, it wasn't crowded at all. (and then walk over to Knocke's for some awesome chocolate! https://www.facebook.com/KnokesNutsAndMore/ )

Machines are usually playing in great shape and rarely super busy. Before/after you head to Knoke's stop at Hop and Barrel for some really good beer.

1 month later
#16350 2 years ago

Posting details as I know the tech is on the tread:
Had a chance to swing over to St Paul Tap. Was really looking forward to playing a few games of Mandalorian. Unfortunately the center ramp had reject issues with the diverter which basically eliminated access to the upper playfield. Multiballs were fun to play.

Guns and roses card reader was dead so couldn’t play that either.

Ended up spending a lot of time on Turtles and liked that more than I thought. Top lane divider was loose and need to be tightened down and the right in lane switch needs to be adjusted had a few stuck balls that I needed to nudge loose but played fine.

Looking forward to a return trip if/when things get adjusted or fixed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seven9er.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unofficial-wisconsin-minnesota-thread?tu=seven9er and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.