1A8D593B-9D4D-4652-A21C-9B01511D23CC (resized).jpeg
554F400D-5C3E-4B83-BC64-4EF9FB9789E0 (resized).jpeg
4CF4C989-CE6E-4342-B90E-4FB887C5D6E0 (resized).jpeg
MVIMG_20190820_171420 (resized).jpg
65527303_10220150873427148_2703891979682447360_o (resized).jpg
22448499_1716747395002052_745714275879255409_n (resized).jpg
12107919_10153193842349786_1176609030339450141_n (resized).jpg
Golden Ticket Event Aug 24th (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lame33.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2731 10 years ago

So last weekend I went on my first pinball road trip and picked up my first pin, Doctor Who, in Michigan. Now that I'm a pinball owner in Wisconsin, I thought I would announce my intent to start pestering you guys and ask about the secret club handshake.

#2733 10 years ago

Divorce Right now I'm one and done or I will face the consequences.

1 week later
#2864 10 years ago

Since I'm new to this hobby and know nothing... (had to break out an unopened 15 year-old soldering iron yesterday to fix a loose wire in my DW and it made me realize how little I still know)

I'm not looking to get my pin fully shopped, but maybe inspected? Any recommendations on pinball techs that will make house calls in the SE Wisconsin region.

Is there anywhere in our region that's good for buying replacement parts (new balls, legs, glass, leds, stuff like that) or should I just do that online. (if online, what sites do you recommend?)

1 month later
#3399 10 years ago

Anyone have any tips on opportunities to play more pinball in SE Wisconsin? I only have one pin in my collection and I'm looking to try out more games. Should I just wait for the MGC or is there an arcade or another convention in the area that I'm not aware of? (I'm actually not even certain how much opportunity the average guy has play pinball at the MGC)

I've seen the postings for various parties or invites, but I'm not sure I'm keen on visiting strangers houses to play pinball. Tournaments could also be an issue, because my skills are rather pedestrian and I'm not fond of playing "fake" video pinball to learn the various game rules.

Suggestions?

#3404 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I don't know how I missed the "where to play" map. I used to get lunch all the time from Pepi's old location. Great sandwiches. No idea they had pins in the new place. I think I know where I'm getting dinner once it's safe to venture outdoors again.

2 weeks later
#3504 10 years ago

So tell me story. I hear rumors of this thing called Midwest Gaming Classic, but I don't really know how it works.

I see from their site that I can buy tickets for $30 to $45 for the Brookfield Sheraton, but then what happens?

Is it just rows of pins that I pump quarters into and a couple of vendors or something else entirely?

#3512 10 years ago

Ah that explains much and I will be attending. Thank you.

Just a couple of questions:

What's the best day to go?

Is it a good place to try to buy pins? (if my previous house finally sells, I might be able feed the urge to collect more)

2 weeks later
#3668 10 years ago

Until today, I don't think I've knowingly been in a building with more than 5 pins. At the state championship, I was stuck dumb by being in a place with 200+. That was a truly amazing collection. I hope I did not leave too much drool on the glass.

Getting a chance to play Humpty Dumpty, the first pin with flippers, was not something that I ever expected. Having the lowest score in Rocketship out of all the charity contestants was a good reminder of my reflexes.

I wish their had been an easier way to watch the contestants. Projected video from webcams mounted on the pins or mirrors suspended from the ceiling, but I guess pinball is not really a spectator sport.

wow

#3693 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

There is actually a growing number of competitions that are covered just like you mention:
http://papa.org/videos/competition-coverage/
It's actually pretty entertaining to watch. There's live commentary, and it's a good way to get some tips on games from the pros.

Thanks. I had seen some PAPA game play videos a few months back, but I had not seen the competition videos. Those were executed even been then I imagined. I can see that really enhancing a live event.

2 months later
#4177 10 years ago

My unsolicited random thoughts from my first time at MGC.

I got to spend time at MGC with my wife and kid from about 10 to 3 and it was incredible. As expected, we spent the vast majority of our time in the arcade area playing pinball.

The opportunity to play that many machines really expanded my pinball experience and left me with some unexpected observations. I'm human, so I am going to complain about some things, but it really was a great time and I will be back.

Playing pinball in the dark can really ruin the impression of many games. When we arrived, the lights were on and I could see ramps and have a good idea what to do on some of the darker games. When they dimmed the lights, I was lost on games with dark colors or low general illumination. That was a bad call in my opinion.

With the noise in the room, you really can't hear any of the individual games. Being blind from the dimness and deaf from the din can make some games fell a bit dull and confusing.

Even when it got busy, the crowds were not as bad as I feared. I could play most things with limited or no wait. With the exception of the guy who was playing a 4 player game by himself and the lady who took a photo with flash while I was playing Theatre of Magic, the other attendees were great.

Revenge from Mars will likely be my next pin. It left the biggest impression on me and it was my favorite game at MGC. I don't know how much staying power it would have, but it was just simply fun.

I was really hoping to get to finally play the Star Trek Next Generation, but the new Stern Star Trek was decent. Not 8k worth of fun, but it was probably my third favorite at the show. (for new pins, I think WoZ is more creative, but I despise the theme and that kills it for me)

Flintstones was more fun than I expected. The ramps were cool. Once I figured out that the big box thing it Dirty Harry was a gun, the game was better. Both pins were cool, but again were not interesting themes for me.

I wish I could have spent an hour playing Creature form the Black Lagoon. That game is oozing with style and the topper on one of them was most impressive. The color DMD was great and made me wish they had one for DW. Second favorite pin at MGC.

Addams Family does not make much sense in the dark with no sound after only one play.

I could kick myself for not playing Attack from Mars. It was crowded and I never got back.

Big Guns was off and I really wanted to play it. Too bad.

It's like being stuffed after a big thanksgiving meal, but I'm far from sated and I need to play more pinball.

#4191 10 years ago

Anyone here ever have any dealings with hemispheresamusements.com? They have a Revenge from Mars and I can't get that game out of my head since MGC on Saturday. (that and cftbl, but it's a bit too spendy for me to justify)

#4207 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I dimmed the lights, it was a great call in my opinion.
Ever play a pinball with a bright can light directly over it? It blows.

It's was your call and that is cool. I'm just a noob on the internet with an opinion and making a personal observation. No one else really seems to have had an issue with it. All I can say is that when I got there at 10, the lights were on and I could see. They seemed high enough and indirect enough that I did not notice glare being an issue. (Although at that point I was still so awestruck you probably could have stabbed me in the spleen with a spork and I might not have noticed) A little while later, the lights were dimmed and several of the darker games became more difficult to play. At one point I stood behind my wife and used a mini pocket flashlight so she could see where to attempt to make shots.

The row of lights by the entry door stayed on the whole time and when I doubled around to games like WoZ and Demolition Man in the first row with the brighter ceiling lights the visibility was not an issue like in the middle and back of the hall.

On a different topic...

I'm hunting a new pin only six months after making the life altering choice of buying my first... I've found an RFM that I want in Illinois that looks to be in mint condition and at a decent price. I'm giddy with anticipation, but the wife just gave me the slippery slope speech, but is willing to indulge my new found expensive hobby. My inner Admiral Akbar is screaming "It's a trap"!. How do you guys deal with potential pin acquisition guilt?

4 months later
#5460 9 years ago

Shot in the dark, but anyone have any leads on a "project pin"? (maybe a mangled system 11 that did not get the best treatment on route and with some TLC could be brought back from the dead)

I've now repaired and modded my two pins to the best of my current ability and I'm looking to enhance my repair and maintenance skills. Watching Clay's Pinball Ninja videos and youtube will only take you so far without going hands on and a project forces one to research and try new things. The type of new things I would rather not try on my two working pins.

#5464 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have a working HS sys 11 I could sell. Needs some pf touch ups, one switch needs to be tweaked (I was going to fix it), otherwise seems to play fine.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm looking for something in worse shape. Not acid damage all over the system boards, but something that will be a project and a challenge.

I'm not really certain what that exactly means. I just know I'm looking for a pinball related project.

5 months later
#6478 9 years ago

My wife has decided that we need to go to Minneapolis at the end of March. She's luring me up there with the promise of pinball.

The catch is that our 15 year old will be tagging along. The pin map and this thread show several promising pinball places, but I'm wondering how they rate for family (teen) friendly environments?

Suggestions?

#6483 9 years ago

Thanks for the location tips. Can't wait to play more pinball.

#6568 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I only played the Star Trek, so my memory isn't so good on the other ones...

So that's why you smoked us all at Ballers on that pin Saturday. It's all becoming clear now...

I recall someone in this thread was looking for an F-14. Mine wasn't ready then, but it's on the market now. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/17881

3 weeks later
#6820 9 years ago

I'm endeavoring to add a third pin. Anyone have any leads on a STTNG?

#6849 9 years ago

He has room for all those new games when he sells me his Diner that I fell in lust with last Saturday.

#6857 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

HA. And to think I have done very little with that machine yet...

I had not played Diner until Saturday. It's not a theme that would normally interest me, but after a few balls it became my favorite sys 11. (until I get to play SoF at MGC, but I'm fickle that way)

It's a cool pin. Thanks again for hosting.

#6884 9 years ago

My streak of inadvertently blathering incoherently at conventions to people who are pinball famous continued at MGC.

Greg Freres was there and I thanked him for doing such a great job on RFM and that while not my style, Whoa Nellie was well done. Then since it was art related, I made a conversational, but somewhat disparaging comment about the art on my DW. It occurred to me after it was out of my mouth that he likely knows Linda Deal and my toes were tickling my uvula. Oops.

With my head swimming in the sea of utopian bliss that is getting to play all the great pinball of MGC, I saw Charlie from Spooky Pinball and thought I would just say something simple that would not be inadvertently rude or misconstrued.

That's why I walked by and said "Hey Charlie, congratulations on selling out." Doh.

#6923 9 years ago

I often miss the obvious and so I like to ask stupid questions.

I'm on the hunt for a STTNG and don't want to ship.

Besides for the Pinside Market, Mr. Pinball Classifieds, and Craigslist, are their any other local avenues you guys use when searching for games?

5 months later
#7617 8 years ago

Winter is coming and I think I need a new pinball project/distraction. I thought I would try this thread before going the full-fledged market posting route as I'm still kind of corralling my thoughts.

I think I want either a working em or an early solid state project.

Bonus points if it has drop targets. It's one of my favorite features and none of my main pins have them.

Appearance and theme are not that important as the main area of my basement is full and this will sit in my work area.

Let me know if you have anything to offer or leads.

#7623 8 years ago

Wow. I've got a bunch of great offers for some interesting games.

I think I've either sent or replied to all the offers. If I missed something, please bug me.

6 months later
#8502 8 years ago

I've got a massive post MGC problem and it's hopefully one you guys can help remedy.

This is what the pin area of my gameroom now looks like:

ProblemProblem

There is a gaping hole where Revenge From Mars used to be.

It would be nice to patch it with one of these:

Creature from the Black Lagoon, Diner, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure, Junk Yard, Last Action Hero, Lord of the Rings, Medusa, Shadow, Swords of Fury

If you have any leads, please let me know.

Thanks!

I'm also looking for an inexpensive EM. The wife has always liked them and I'm starting to hear the call of the chimes.

#8504 8 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Nice wall decorations! Are you a hyper power user and upgrade the motherboard a few times a year?

Nope, I just have been working in IT for a long time and when things die or become obsolete, I get newer "wallpaper". I could probably take some of those off the wall and still power them up, but there is not much call to run Pentium 2 processors, Sun servers, or Commodore computers in this decade.

Right now, I'm concerned about the space without a pinball machine. I need a new game!

#8509 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just hope you don't brush up against those walls.

That's why I need to get another game or two. It's for safety! (Hmmm... That could be spun to increase the Wife Acceptance Factor)

#8518 8 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Lame33 - my friends and I logged a few plays on your RFM and at one point set a high score. We had a blast! Thanks for bringing it.

Glad you liked it. RFM is a fun and under appreciated game. I think it found a good Pinsider home in Iowa.

Now I just need a new game to bring to MGC for next year!

2 months later
#8691 7 years ago

Okay, okay, okay. I've got an itch for a project and I think I might need a Lethal Weapon 3.

HUO collector's quality pins need not apply. I'm looking for beat and cheap.

If it's fresh off route with broken plastics, tons of playfield wear and a fake mustache drawn on Mel, all the better.

If anyone has a line on such a beast, please let me know.

9 months later
#9616 7 years ago

Do you have flipper fatigue from excessive game length? Did you play (insert hot new title here) at MGC and now realize that you need an influx of cash and space in your game room? Now is the chance to solve all your problems and sell me your LotR!

Machine - Wanted
Wanted! - “My collection is skewing too heavily sci-fi and so I think it's time to add a fantasy theme to bring things into balance. If you have a decent Lord of the Rings that you are looki...”
2017-05-21
Racine, WI
Wanted
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 538 times

5 months later
#10170 6 years ago

I'm heading up to Minneapolis in the not too distant future and will have some time for pinball. It's been a couple years and I could use some tips on locations for the current places to play.

My current plans are to stop by SS Billiards. (they were closed last time I was up) Tilt looks interesting and worth a visit.

Where else should I stop?

#10175 6 years ago

Thank you for all the advice.

Forgot about Mortimer's. I'll have to put that one on the list.

5 months later
#10916 6 years ago

I'm going to have a free spot again soon and so the hunt for Medusa, Swords of Fury, or Diner has begun. Player's condition or better. I'm not looking for projects this time.

If you have one that you are looking to part with or know where I can find one, please let me know.

1 month later
#11137 5 years ago

Anyone have an empty Data East cab and/or backbox they are looking to part with?

#11141 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I have the CNC files for the body of the Data East DMD style cabinet.

Thanks for the offer, but I have an existing cabinet in okay shape and was just looking to save steps in a painting/custom decal process by doing a transfer instead. With my existing tools and measure five times and cut seven woodworking skills, I will probably stick with the original gut, paint, and rebuild plan if one does not magically appear for sale.

3 weeks later
#11203 5 years ago

Had a deal worked out, but it fell through and so I'm making another attempt at this long shot.

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “I'm hoping to save some time and space on a project by using an additional cabinet for a swap. Let me know if you have an empty Data East cabinet you're looking to sell.”
2019-04-17
Racine, WI
Wanted
Archived after: 409 days
Viewed: 293 times

2 months later
#11467 5 years ago

I'm relocating to to much bigger room for my office and musing it might be interesting to put in a pinball machine. I'm the tech guy for a grade 6-12 school and we have a steady stream of kids coming in that might get a kick out of pinball.

An inexpensive, player's condition game with an inoffensive theme(Big Guns, scantily clad people or R-rated movies might not go over so well) is my target. Solid state as I never took to fixing EMs. Some wear and planking are not an issue, but it can't be a project as I don't really have much time to reconstruct a game while at work.

If you have anything that you are looking to part with and matches my description, let me know.

1 month later
#11702 5 years ago

A rainy holiday weekend has provided the respite from the all consuming start of the year to fixate again on putting a family friendly pin in my school office.

Let me know what you are looking to sell.

Here are my mad ramblings describing more specifically what I'm hoping to find:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/might-be-time-to-put-a-pinball-machine-in-my-office-school

2 weeks later
#11774 5 years ago

Since fishing for a genre of games was not working, I thought I would pick a specific target.

Machine - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking to add a WCS to the collection. Player vs collector edition preferred. Southeastern Wisconsin - northern Illinois pickup preferred, but willing to travel farther dependi...”
2018-10-30
Racine, WI
Wanted
Archived after: 140 days
Viewed: 374 times

Let me know what you've got.

2 months later
#11950 5 years ago

Still looking for a family friendly, player's condition game in the $3k and under range.

World Cup Soccer and Rocky and Bullwinkle are at the top the list, but I'm open others. (My preference is for Bally, Williams, or Data East as it's going in a school and that's what I've worked with the most to fix and maintain with the least amount of dumb luck tinkering)

Let me know what you've got.

4 months later
#12508 5 years ago

Decided to try and start working on a project again and still looking for an empty Data East cabinet. Let me know if you’re looking to sell one.

1 year later
#14263 3 years ago

I'm thinking about acquiring a Medusa or Diner.

Anyone have any leads?

1 year later
#16423 2 years ago

Anyone need a used Escalera?

SOLD!
Other - For Sale
“Hey! Are you tired of shiny new things and have an aversion to carrying heavy pinball machines up the stairs? I may have an item for you! I'm selling a (very) used Escalera Stair...”
2021-07-13
Racine, WI
Archived after: 2 days
Viewed: 254 times

7 months later
#17505 2 years ago
Quoted from Lawnboy:

Parts - For Sale

Anyone local want this for $25

Throw in your Heist/P3 and I'll give you the full $60! I would need more games for all the new locks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lame33.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unofficial-wisconsin-minnesota-thread?tu=lame33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.