1A8D593B-9D4D-4652-A21C-9B01511D23CC (resized).jpeg
554F400D-5C3E-4B83-BC64-4EF9FB9789E0 (resized).jpeg
4CF4C989-CE6E-4342-B90E-4FB887C5D6E0 (resized).jpeg
MVIMG_20190820_171420 (resized).jpg
65527303_10220150873427148_2703891979682447360_o (resized).jpg
22448499_1716747395002052_745714275879255409_n (resized).jpg
12107919_10153193842349786_1176609030339450141_n (resized).jpg
Golden Ticket Event Aug 24th (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emlover1970.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8977 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just a reminder that te 6th Annual Mad Rollin' Pinball is going on this Saturday. All day at Alt Brew in Madison (1806 Wright st). While the main event is all full, there is a side tournament, great raffle for some super unique prizes, and also a chance to win your very own pinball machine.
All are welcome to stop on out, play in the side event, buy some raffle tickets, drink a beer ($1 from each kickback klosh is being donated to the charity by the bar), and socialize. There will be a handful of games not used in the tourney that will also be available for play.
Lastly there will be some games availabel for sale as kingpin is bringing down a full trailer.

It was a great time. Nothing quite like 12 straight hours of pinball. Noble cause too.

2 months later
#9181 7 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/events/228697910892012/

I'm running a special Saturday Silver Ball, which has been a monthly for years, but we're going for a bigger turnout and adding a player funded (purely optional for the player) $5 a person side pot, prizes from Stern (I'm waiting on the package from another company so there should be even more), longer qualifying time, a One Crack final four, and hopefully an earlier start to the head to head part of the tournament (four player groups).

I'm shooting for a 40 person event. That 'could' be done if all the Minnesota factions came together for one event, and if a few Wisconsin players made the trip, 50 wouldn't be out of the question. Hope I can handle all that.

4 weeks later
#9263 7 years ago

Parting out a Mata Hari (SS of course). Posted the backglass to Midwest Pinball and Arcade Collectors on FB. Plastic set available. Need more time to look it over. I just picked it up on Wednesday.

I promised to buy it and like a fool, relied on Craigslist resolution photos, and wow, was I crushed when I saw the playfield in particular. Might be the most wear I've ever seen on a MH. And imagine this. It worked, and it said as much in the ad and when I spoke to the owner. Then, feeling silly after the long drive in terrible road conditions and generally stressed from white knuckling it for several hours, I remove the glass to take the game apart to see a sea of electrical tape and direct soldiered wires to pins. Plus a fuse where I wasn't expecting one. Before that I thought I might have a low grade player's game, but at that point, nope, I was committed to buying it, but not committed to investing far more than it would be worth to make it right, so parts game it is. Plus I don't have a Bally parts game and could use one. Moral of the story, even experienced people can rush in and forget all they have learned. Or maybe just me.[/whine]

Hope to see at least a few Wisconsin peeps at the March 11th Silver Ball, but if I don't, I'll be seeing many of you at Wauna to defend.

#9274 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sorry to hear that. Another game lost.

Yeah, I know. I'm not happy about it either. Fortunately it's a game where they made more than 16,000 of them. If I was a more talented hobbiest who could do all my own boardwork, I might have considered a restoration, and local guru John Ross has a clearcoated playfield that could be put in it, but right now restoring all that is wrong with it (there is acid damage to the CPU board yet it still is working... for now...) would put the game very, very under water.

#9275 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Forget the noob response, because I may be off on this one. But I went up there one weekday afternoon and about half were turned off. I was told by a waitress that as long as there wasn't a sign on it, I was free to turn it on and play. Certainly, defeats the purpose of "attract mode" if they are turned off, but I suppose it does save on electricity or something.
As I said... may be way off base here, so feel free to ignore if I'm wrong.

They open pretty early, and while their bar/dining area can get pretty busy early, there might be nobody that plays pinball until the afternoon, and having 45 games or so turned on for 3-7 hours before anyone plays is expensive. Just switch on and play. That might put some people off, and those who are really new might be uncomfortable doing that, but surely it wouldn't be that hard to go to the bowling desk or the bar and simply ask.

Things do get hopping later in the day. Yesterday was really busy for the overall venue, and we had a decent turnout of 19 for the monthly, some new faces, and at least 10 other people playing games that weren't competing.

#9276 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Good point, I actually tried turning on TWD and HS2. Neither turned on so we left.

Different games are on different circuits. Just ask next time. May I ask why you would go (however far you went) and then just leave without talking to any of the staff?

#9279 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thx. It is unclear from the post, what is the format/time/details. I would like to try to make it up to support but need more info to make the decision.

It's all on the Facebook event page. It's my first FB event page, so it may not be formatted to see the rules easily, so I'll put them here for you:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some details of the event. Qualifying starts at 10am and goes until 4pm. This gives everyone enough time to get in all of their qualifying games even if we get more than 40 players, which is my goal. It also means qualifying ends at an earlier time than normal, which will give us the extra time needed to have a playoff for the One Crack event. Top four will play a four player, one game final, which will also make it IFPA points eligible.

There will be a player *OPTIONAL* $5 side pot entry fee. Let's be clear about this. You do not have to pay this. Those that do will have a chance to increase their winnings. The optional side pot will pay out 60% to A Division and 40% to B Division, and will pay out the top 5 in each division. If one of the top five did not pay into the side pot, then the payout goes to the next highest player who did. This payout is in addition to the already generous payouts offered to us from Blainbrook with zero entry fee. To inform you who do not know what Donny gives away every month, here are the regular payouts:

A Division

1st $40/20
2nd $30/15
3rd $25/10
4th $20/5

B division

1st $20/15
2nd $15/10
3rd $10/10
4th 10 in Blainbrook scrip

What do the slashes mean? They mean that you get a combination of cash and Blainbrook scrip good for food and beverages. And it's a tasty lineup with daily specials, and good variety of taps. And everyone gets a drink token for $4 off any beverage.

Prizes:

We have three Ghostbusters translites to give away. One will go to the winner of A, one to the winner of B, and the third...? I will take suggestions on how to award this prize. Could go to the One Crack winner, or we could give it away to the highest score on a randomly drawn qualifying game. I'll take suggestions. It could be for coolest pinball related T-Shirt, but I'm leaning against that one. How about the top 2 from A and B who get bumped after the first round play a round of three games to win the 3rd translite?

There seems to be enough flyers to give one for everyone (hopefully), and I plan on grouping some together for a drawing. Plus there are plastics, and all of these were generously donated from Stern Pinball.

Other prizes to be determined, but I can tell you that another company should be sending me a donation so watch this space for more details.

Once qualifying ends and the One Crack finals are over, it will go the way the Silver Ball usually goes. Top four qualifiers (of the top 16 who make A, and then the top four of B) will pick three games from a list of five, and they will pick their order on the first game. The last place player on game one then picks his or her order on the next game, and so on. Top 8 players based on points of all players in all groups in each division move on. So it is possible to be third in your group of four and move on to the next round or get in a playoff to move on to the next round.

Further details will be posted here. I'm considering having 8 qualifying games and each player would then count only their top 5 games. This would aid in keeping things moving along in qualifying if it's crowded, and I would like to have that 'problem'.

Ted and Brad will be helping me out, inputting scores, fixing stuck balls, etc. Be nice to them. Let's make this the largest monthly Blainbrook has seen and make this a yearly event worth doing. I can't do it without you.

-----------------

Rules Update: Normally during qualifying (but not the One Crack), players are allowed to play extra balls. This will not be the case for the M.S.S.S.B.S. Plunge extras, though you are allowed to change lanes or modes pre plunge if the game allows. After plunging, no lane changes or nudging. If you are found to have played an extra ball by mistake, your game will be awarded 10 points, which is to say your game won't be thrown out entirely, you will be given credit for having played a game, but you will be given last place points for that game. If during head to head play you play an extra, your game will be completely disqualified.

One other point of etiquette, if you have already played a qualifying game on a particular machine, and someone else is waiting to play who hasn't, the person who hasn't yet played on that machine gets priority, though you can play a multiplayer game on that machine. Player who hasn't played should be given the opportunity to play first player if they wish.

------------------------------------

(This isn't on the FB page but I will add that yesterday, there were two players that still needed to play two machines to get scores for the regular monthly, and I wanted to play Pinbot again, I just let them play and waited for their games to be done without playing with them. Hopefully we see this kind of cooperation and sportsmanship.)

-------------------

Depending on turnout and side pot participation, payouts may go beyond top 5 in each division.

https://www.facebook.com/events/228697910892012/permalink/228710220890781/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note in the rules that I'm using last years Silver Ball rules when it comes to who advances in each round. Locals will know about it, but those unfamiliar need to know that in groups where one player wins all three games (12 points), it's very possible for the 2nd place person in that group to not move on. Generally though, the top two usually do move up. Points awarded per game during the four player head to head play are 4-2-1-0, so if a group goes 12, 5, 4, 0, and another group goes 8,7,6,0, players with 12, 8, 7, 6 move on. For 2017, Ted has changed the rules to top two in each group move on for the regular monthly, but A. I didn't know he was doing that, and B. I like the old rules. Plus I've posted this event a month ago so that rule is staying.

Two other things I didn't post are the One Crack and Top Qualifier payouts that are awarded (again with no entry fee, just coin drop).

One Crack gets $10/20, and Top Qualifyer gets $10/10.

When it comes to problems, I tend to be OK with groups figuring it out for themselves if it's in the spirit of the rules and if there are no obvious advantages to a player. If a player only starts a one player game, I can live with him or her playing it out, and then have the rest play a 3 player game without DQing player 1, but if someone wants to be a hard ass in the group, then DQ it will be. Seeing as I'm trying to make this a little more serious than a run of the mill monthly, I would advise those to just be careful. Yesterday, a player in the consolation round just killed Junk Yard with a multiball that included 6 Super Jackpots. Yet on his extra ball plunge, instead of pulling back the plunger, he did the palm hit style and somehow managed to slam tilt the game. Seemed like a fluke, but it was also a totally avoidable fluke. Not sure how Ted ruled on that, but I personally found it hilarious (never mind that). I'm asking for people to think before doing something silly as I might be forced to rule a DQ unless one could replicate and show this to be a malfunction. Nobody wants the refs to determine the outcome. I also highly encourage people to be sportsmanlike and, for example, not allow a player to play out of turn if they can help it. Also, before the first ball is plunged on a game, if another player has a rules question about that game, tell them. Once it starts, one is free to stay silent. No coaching during play. But I'm not likely to DQ someone who mentions a rule to another player between balls. I'm also not going to be mad at anyone who tells that person to shut their mouths.

If there are any genuine rules difficulties, IFPA rules will be consulted.

This is the first event I'm responsible for in a large way, so feedback is welcome. Try to be nice about it. People who know me know that I can be wound a little tight, so if you aren't nice about it...

I'm really looking forward to this. Should be lots of fun, and many thanks to the companies that have donated swag.

#9280 7 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

This place sounds fun. Had to look it up since i never heard of it.

I was there last night. What an amazing location. Converted industrial space with really high ceilings, poured concrete architecture, underground parking (optional, free I believe as it was half hour before close and the staff that operates the garage doors were gone). Mini golf like you've never seen it.

Ben Granger operates *some* of the pins. It's a new thing for him and he takes it very seriously. I gave him a little help last night, but mostly played games while he worked on replacing some drop targets. I also sold him some coin boxes.

They've also got food and drinks (really creative ones I hear) but I didn't have any of that last night.

They are still in their teething mode. I wish them every success.

#9281 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

We went to acapulco in Blaine for lunch and stopped by at 11:30 to play some pins since it was a couple minutes down the road. Wife suggested asking the staff in the bar, but I said forget it and we left. I couldve asked, but just shrugged and left.

Well, if you didn't think it was worth the effort, that is totally your choice. They do run the risk of this type of thing happening.

#9296 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

There was a post on the Blainbrook pinball Facebook page about FH in early December. I think it was taken out, shopped, and brought back. Don't know what was done to it, nor when you last played it of course.

Yeah, they totally shopped it out. The last time I played it a month ago it played great. They do that with quite a few games like Demo Man, Getaway, STNG. That doesn't mean that even these games don't develop new problems, but it is a stable of 40+ games to maintain and they do a pretty good job. No, it's not perfect, but honestly, I don't experience 'saggy flipper bats' on anything like a regular basis. We are all experienced players here, and we should all be familiar with how pinball is in the wild.

They do a pretty good job addressing most problems, and they keep a clipboard where you can write any problem down. They have regular people doing maintenance all the time, and it's just a huge job. Again, like with the situation of games shut off, if you have any sort of problem, game ate your quarter, go to the bowling desk and they will take care of you. If you can't be bothered to do that much, what can I say.

#9298 7 years ago
Quoted from barkerlake:

Yeah, it's totally understandable. I recall the Demo Man being in great shape; as well as HSII, Road Show, Whirlwind. Anyone know if he sells his pins?

Games come and go. Usually he sells one to make room for something else. Depends on the game and how much they are bringing in. Used to have a whole bunch of System 80s and he hated them, but it was so cool to see them because you can't really play them anywhere else. A few System 1s, quite a few early Williams solid state games, all mostly gone now. He just sold Revenge from Mars, but the scoop never kicked out consistently and sometimes down the middle so I don't miss that. He sold Fire! recently, Dracula, which reminds me he had some Stern System 100 games a while back (2010). I miss the Bobby Orr. But hey, there's 'only' room for 40-45 games.

#9314 7 years ago
Quoted from barkerlake:

Man, I decided on a whim to check out East Side pinball at Sun Ray. Really wish I had chosen my usual spots (Mort's, Nomad) cause their pins were not enjoyable. First I went to Family Guy and put in $2 assuming it was 3/$2, not the case. Oh well, I don't mind paying a little more if the pins are kept up. However, this Family Guy had such a severe slant to the right that it made it unplayable for me.
I tried Elvira, and that slanted heavily to the left. Also, one of the flippers would get stuck frequently, which caused me to drain during multiball
I tried Mousin Around, and the flippers were super weak (especially the right one)
Lastly, I tried Hook. Flippers were also pretty weak (got stuck on occasion as well)

I'm really sorry you had this experience. I've let Tony know about it. I find the leans to be a little silly given how simple it is to get that right. The Metallica is pretty bad too, to the right, but at least I wasn't getting bad left outlane drains.

Tony has his games ready to accept PayRange (89 cents), and you get discounts and special deals for free games if you get his EastSide newsletter. Plus some days he's does two for a dollar, again through PayRange. There is a lot of effort put into maintaining these games, but sometimes it's still not enough.

Sorry for your bad experience.

#9322 7 years ago

We're near the 3rd anniversary of having a great pinball lineup at SunRay Lanes. It wouldn't have happened without you, Tony. All about a mile from my house.

#9353 7 years ago
Quoted from barkerlake:

Wait, Sun Ray has a Starship Troopers?

It did three years ago.

#9354 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

It did three years ago.

No wait, it had an Independence Day, not SST.

#9367 7 years ago

I might have to check that out.

1 month later
#9470 7 years ago

I suppose groaning about that article wouldn't make any difference. How hard can it be to do a little research before saying Stern is the only company making machines?

#9494 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for how fun Wauna was again this year. I bowed out early, but it isn't always about that. Had a great time.

#9498 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Luke was on fire all day. I knew when I put up 240+mil on GB in finals and got beat that I was done for.

It can be murder to have to play against Ben, John, Luke, Terry, Adam at every MN event.

#9502 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

think it's rough there. Try playing in chicago.
Josh S
Zac S
Roger S
Dave H
Lyman
Josh H
Art
Jason W
and Keith is down there too

Well of course. With Keith moving there, there is nowhere harder than that.

#9507 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks Mark. Congrats to you for making A. In our competitive scene that alone is a heck of a task. I just had a lucky day.
I was largely spurred on by Kirby. He kept giving me shit, so I decided I was gonna give it to him
For the side event it was myself and 3 of the MN guys. They all decided prior to the match that they were going to 3 way split the winnings (i.e. hedge the bets and work together against me). I decided I was left with no choice at that point.
fun times!

We all tried to win. We failed. I suddenly couldn't hit the easiest shot on the game, the left orbit and it was over. I don't think we could 'work together against you' though. How does that work?

#9508 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Apparenty Al at Pinball Warehouse is getting rid of all his remaining EMs.

Does that mean good prices? Is there a list?

#9513 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You had all agreed prior to starting finals that the 3 of you were going to combine your winnings and then split them equally 3 ways. Basically making a plan that all any of you needed to do was beat me in order to maximize your payouts. i.e. the 3 of you against me.

The first part is true. We agreed to split. Yes, beating you would have meant more money for each of us. I split with others at home all the time, and it doesn't mean I'm 'working against' another player. Maybe this just seems oddly worded to me.

Was there some kind of way a split was disadvantageous to you, or maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

#9515 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I asked to be in on the split and was denied. That was 3 playing together as a team with the sole objective to beat 1.
As you know pinball is as much mental as skill based competition.
No worries. It was all part of the fun of smack talking and worked as a nice motivator for me to take home the win

You asked? I'll take your word on that as I was focusing on my goals in the game (which I didn't come close to achieving. I just don't remember it. I honestly only agreed to split because they asked me to, not because it was my idea. I should revise my previous statement of splitting all the time and say it would be more accurate to say I split with John for Super League and have done so at SS Billiards years ago when it only paid off the winner at Pinball Circus. Seeing as all four of us were going to be paid, I didn't see the point, but for the harmony of the drive home...

#9516 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I have no idea. You of all people should know my knowledge of EMs is not extensive Chris. Tony would know since he helps Al maintain his website and he just picked up an EM off Al too, so I would definitely ask him.

Barkz sent me the link and I looked over the EM list and nothing really jumps out at me. I guess it would come down to condition. Two player games don't get much love on the collector market, and unless it would be really mint, I wouldn't bother with those. And King of Diamonds doesn't do that much for me. Jolly Roger might be interesting. The shots look better than a lot of Williams from that era where you can't get the ball back to the top.

#9530 7 years ago

Yeah, MGC is sweet. Tons of different things to do. Lots of games change hands. I've sold a couple games myself there. Hope you can make the Silver Ball on Saturday.

#9536 7 years ago

You don't improve your skill level without playing against others. It doesn't cost you anything more than coin drop (if you opt out of the player funded $5 pool), and if there are enough people, there will be three levels.

The most important thing is that it's going to be fun.

#9546 7 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I just wanted to drop in, say hi, and introduce myself as someone new to pinball! I've never done anything other than play pinball before, but since I just finished my home theater, I wanted to add a pinball machine (or two....). I just purchased a T2 a couple of weeks ago, it should be here next week, and I'm really looking forward to it! I've been to Sunray several times and love playing there; never made it to a tourney (don't think I'd be any good... yet?), but since I'm new to the hobby and know networking is important, I'm hoping to make it out there at some point! Unfortunately right now I'm a little gimpy since I had ankle surgery a couple of weeks ago (the narcotics helped reduce my financial concerns ), but once it heals up and I can walk again, I'll see if I can join everyone.
I'm sure I'll have questions going forward, and it looks like there's a great group of knowledgeable people here, so hopefully I won't come across as too much of a newbie.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi... so hi!

You can come out to Blainbrook today and play in your first tournament. If there are enough competitors, there will be three skill levels, 16 will make A, 16 will make B, and 8 in C. Door prizes too. Free drink ticket. Networking with other players/collectors. Or show up and watch and make some new friends.

#9547 7 years ago
Quoted from Barkz:

I'm kicking around the idea of making an appearance at blainbrook tomorrow (would be in but have a scheduling problem and would only be able to swing through), anyone on here going for sure?
Maybe I can talk one of you into selling me a damn Eight Ball Deluxe in person lol

Hopefully you can make it. BB has an EBD, it's rough, but it works. East Side has a very nice one (left flipper sticks a little, Tony). New drops, plays fast. It's really hard, actually. But it's a lot of fun when you get it going. It used to be mine, but I didn't have the know how to get it really up to speed, which is why I wanted Tony to be the one who bought it from me (it was a toss up because I also wanted Donny at Blainbrook to have it, but the coin flip was decided the way it was because Donny already had one) because it would still be close, and Tony would finish it so nice, no expense spared. Unfortunately, like other games of it's age, it breaks down from time to time. But I'm sure it has to be doing pretty well too. It's in the bar where all the bowlers can see it.

#9548 7 years ago

If I had to do it over again, I might have kept it, because my early SS Bally lineup is growing. Star Trek, Strikes and Spares, Fathom, and the EBD next to those would have looked great.

#9554 7 years ago

Nice theater! Sorry to hear about your leg. Get well soon.

Yesterday was great. Turnout was 30 between the main and side tournaments. It went as smoothly as I could have hoped. I had plenty of help. I plan on doing this again next year, though I heard one or two suggest doing it again in the fall. Once a year seems enough for me personally, but if I can get enough support from the manufacturers and maybe some beer vendors for next time, no problem, I would be happy to run one again. Heck, we might even get a single Wisconsin player to show next time.

#9570 7 years ago

Way to go Dave, getting past Fred in round one.

6 years later
#19407 11 months ago

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Hopkins-Minnesota.html

Though crime seems to be higher than the surrounding communities, it's true that the murder rate is pretty low, as in 2 from 2010-2020.

Anyway, I'm used to Blainbrook bashing. It's fine. I'll just keep winning there. Kidding aside, as I wrote on Facebook, the majority of the games play just fine. I don't think you're going to find anything wrong with Stranger Things, Cactus Canyon, Tron, Metallica, Power Play, Hot Tip, Iron Man, etc.

It IS funny that some problems don't get fixed after years of it being a know problem like the diverter on High Speed. Our techs try hard, they work hard, but some things just seem to be beyond their abilities. There is some stubbornness there when it comes to allowing others to fix games. So there is a bit of a culture issue there. And at what point do they simply remove the EMs and fix the score reels so they score accurately all the time? Sure, some things bug me. It would be nice to use the Jersey Jack games in competition, and we sometimes use Wonka, but WoZ hasn't been in years.

Here's the thing, if I only focused on the negative, I'd miss out on a whole lot of fun.

It doesn't change the fact that there is a huge variety of games. If a location had 15 games all working perfectly, you'd be amazed. If a location has 50 and half of them work perfectly, it's a catastrophe for some reason.

6 months later
#20305 4 months ago

Huh, “riff raff”…

I wonder what that could be code for? Hmm…

Does the amount of riffraff vary? Seems to me, it would be fairly constant…

Traffic or parking issues, sure. Distance one has to travel, I get it. But what could you possibly mean by such a comment? Did a bunch of meth heads from rural Kentucky suddenly move into the Twin Cities? I didn’t hear about that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emlover1970.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unofficial-wisconsin-minnesota-thread?tu=emlover1970 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.