New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 36210)

Official Wisconsin-Minnesota Thread

By RustyLizard

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15,271 posts
  • 494 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 304 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,509 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4A8EFB54-8199-419C-9089-DB5F6267410A (resized).jpeg
BB3BC2A0-3486-4AAE-88CF-03656B52471B (resized).jpeg
0AF8E171-AF9A-4C86-B8DE-42DACCA6509C (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190827_181740 (resized).jpg
20190827_160759 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190826_222926 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190826_224658 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190826_210157 (resized).jpg
1A8D593B-9D4D-4652-A21C-9B01511D23CC (resized).jpeg
554F400D-5C3E-4B83-BC64-4EF9FB9789E0 (resized).jpeg
4CF4C989-CE6E-4342-B90E-4FB887C5D6E0 (resized).jpeg
MVIMG_20190820_171420 (resized).jpg
65527303_10220150873427148_2703891979682447360_o (resized).jpg
22448499_1716747395002052_745714275879255409_n (resized).jpg
12107919_10153193842349786_1176609030339450141_n (resized).jpg
Golden Ticket Event Aug 24th (resized).png

There are 15271 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 306.
#15201 9 days ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Have a nice TZ for sale.

Thank you, looks awesome but more than I wanted to spend. Good luck with the sale.

#15202 9 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

You let me know if that's ever the case!

This is where you're supposed to make him an offer he can't refuse.

#15203 9 days ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

This is where you're supposed to make him an offer he can't refuse.

$3.50

#15204 9 days ago

Anyone local have a pin with a hardtop installed they would let some random asshole play for 15 mins? I was thinking about shipping a pin over but it has a hardtop and I have heard 50/50 reviews on them and their gameplay. I'd like to draw my own conclusions before committing to this thing.

#15205 9 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Anyone local have a pin with a hardtop installed they would let some random asshole play for 15 mins? I was thinking about shipping a pin over but it has a hardtop and I have heard 50/50 reviews on them and their gameplay. I'd like to draw my own conclusions before committing to this thing.

Hard tops are garbage. I’d rather have a bad original playfield. The amount of prep anyway for a hard top actually makes it way more worth it to do a full swap. Please don’t do hard tops.

#15206 9 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

Hard tops are garbage. I’d rather have a bad original playfield. The amount of prep anyway for a hard top actually makes it way more worth it to do a full swap. Please don’t do hard tops.

Lipstick on a pig.

#15207 9 days ago

My opinion of hardtops, it didnt play THAT bad...... kinda like using condoms to be crude. The ball rolls well, playfield looks good, but the feel is all wrong. Try rolling a ball across your wood dining room table with your hand on the table. Now roll it across your kitchen countertop with your hand on that. After a lifetime of being used to the wood feel, its different. I suppose one could get used to it? Would i prefer original painted wood, yes. Would i pass up a nice hardtop at a good price, especially if its a game that traditionally has blown out playfields? Prob not.

#15208 9 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

It's already installed, just not local.

#15209 9 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Gotcha. Phat Jay hit it on the head for play feel.
The brobra thinks it’s an aesthetically poor choice from a purist perspective, and does not enhance the appeal of a game.

#15210 9 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

Gotcha. Phat Jay hit it on the head for play feel.
The brobra thinks it’s an aesthetically poor choice from a purist perspective, and does not enhance the appeal of a game.

Plus the process involved to do it right, is a significant amount of work and you should be sure it looks nice. You essentially have to sand away the thickness of the overlay so all your posts and hardware fit nicely. It has to be laid down spot on the old holes to be registered correctly. If you didn’t strip the bottom part of the playfield, you will have a sea dust mine in all your mechanics.
Dude, I’m telling you to run.

#15211 9 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

I'll throw an opinion in. Have a friend I who got a really nice Gorgar but didn't want to spend the money to have it cleared. We installed a playfield protector (pretty much a hard top) and it looked and played really nice. The problem with it like everyone said is it doesn't feel right. The ball acts a little off.

If your someone who can tell the difference between Bally linear flippers and the older link and plunger flippers you probably gonna hate it. Every game has a feel and a hardtop can kill that feel.

#15212 9 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

Plus the process involved to do it right, is a significant amount of work and you should be sure it looks nice. You essentially have to sand away the thickness of the overlay so all your posts and hardware fit nicely. It has to be laid down spot on the old holes to be registered correctly. If you didn’t strip the bottom part of the playfield, you will have a sea dust mine in all your mechanics.
Dude, I’m telling you to run.

Dude has a good rep and assured me the game plays correctly. Sent pics of everything including the underneath with the playfield totally removed etc.

If anyone has a hardtop, please send me a PM and I will bring you a six pack if I can flip your game for 15.

#15213 9 days ago

I'd like to chime in on this one in the Pro hardtop camp. You guys bring up some great points about the hard top. I love the analogy of the wooden table and countertop that definitely sums up the feel. I installed a hardtop on my space shuttle in the spring, a machine I've had for 20 years. The most noticeable difference for me was the sound of the game. There is a distinct sound when a ball is rolling across worn play field with chipped paint and cupped inserts, that is totally lost when the ball is rolling across a surface that's as slick as greased owl snot. As far as gameplay it, takes a little getting used to but definitely speeds up the game. The downside to a hardtop that someone else installed is you don't know the corners they cut when doing the install. Playing a machine at random with a hardtop may not really represent what the one you're looking to purchase feels like. I've seen some real Hatchet jobs. My advice would be to spend some time on the machine you're hoping to purchase, and be willing to walk away if it doesn't feel right.

#15214 9 days ago

If you didn’t play the game before it was hard topped, I think the game will be fine because you have no before and after to compare it to. But I do believe that a decent original (even with some wear)has more value than a game with a hardtop so the price of the game would have to be less than a decent original for me to consider buying it.

#15215 9 days ago

I'm headed towards Brookings, SD tomorrow. If your are between there and Minneapolis and are looking to deal a game or two, PM with info and prices. I'll be armed with heavy equipment for stair extractions. DMD games are my biggest fetish, but will consider newer sterns, or unique SS games. Thank you.

#15216 9 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

. DMD games are my biggest fetish,

Note to self... make sure I have a lot of Clorox wipes when buying a DMD game from bobra...

#15217 9 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Note to self... make sure I have a lot of Clorox wipes when buying a DMD game from bobra...

haha. that was cold but i'm with you. All my DMD games will go under a UV light sanitization process.
Yes, I'm headed into "The Heart of Darkness", sans the Congo river; we'll substitute the red river instead.

#15218 9 days ago

I’ve installed two hard tops. Taxi and space shuttle. Much easier than a playfield swap. I can’t tell the difference when playing and it looks great.

#15219 9 days ago

I've played a Taxi with and without a hardtop. I couldn't tell the difference play wise and the hardtop looked much better.

#15220 9 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Dude has a good rep and assured me the game plays correctly. Sent pics of everything including the underneath with the playfield totally removed etc.
If anyone has a hardtop, please send me a PM and I will bring you a six pack if I can flip your game for 15.

Once I get my Space Shuttle going you are welcome to drop by.

#15221 9 days ago

I find no difference between a hardtop, new mylar, a playfield protector, or fresh clear coat. All don’t react like an original. I don’t understand the dislike for hardtops and playfield protectors, but the acceptance of mylar and clear coats.

#15222 9 days ago

Interesting how all these people say you can't tell the difference, and others saying 'ZOMG YOU'LL DIE IF YOU EVEN LOOK AT IT.' Must be related to installation? Old product vs. new hardtop product? People are insanely picky? This is why I wanted to play one.

#15223 9 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

I'm headed towards Brookings, SD tomorrow. If your are between there and Minneapolis and are looking to deal a game or two, PM with info and prices. I'll be armed with heavy equipment for stair extractions. DMD games are my biggest fetish, but will consider newer sterns, or unique SS games. Thank you.

You just buying? Or trading/selling too?

#15224 8 days ago
Quoted from HHaase:

You just buying? Or trading/selling too

Hoping to pick up some games. Don’t have much I want to get rid of right now other than sw trilogy which plays well and look great, but definitely needs to be cleaned up.

#15225 7 days ago

I’m looking forward a gilligans island pin if anyone has one please message me.

#15226 7 days ago

Looking for an Oktoberfest. Message me. Thanks

#15227 7 days ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Looking for an Oktoberfest. Message me. Thanks

Yes please message him. I need to play it!!

#15228 6 days ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Yes please message him. I need to play it!!

I played the game and liked it. American Gaming games have their own personality. So don’t expect the same level or features and engineering complexity as a stern or jjp, but nonetheless a fun game to play.

#15229 6 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

American Gaming

American Pinball Company. ( just to help in case anyone is searching for a Houdini, Oktoberfest, or Hot Wheels )

LTG : )

#15230 6 days ago

I’m on the hunt for a local Ghostbusters premium or LE preferably. PM me! I know there are a few on the marketplace sometimes but would like to do a cash local deal.

#15231 6 days ago

I’m also looking to add another 1960s gottlieb wedge head to the line up. Pm with what you have a what you want.

#15234 6 days ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

I’m on the hunt for a local Ghostbusters premium or LE preferably. PM me! I know there are a few on the marketplace sometimes but would like to do a cash local deal.

PM incoming

#15235 6 days ago

Still would love to find an IRon maiden, Met, DP or SW, all pros. Anyone?

#15236 6 days ago

Can anyone grab a pin from the Fargo area for me and bring it to St. Louis Park? Will throw you some money.

#15237 5 days ago

RE: hard tops, I don’t find the feel to be THAT far off. The real issue is whether it was done correctly. If not, it’s a ticking time bomb and I’ve seen several that have lifted from the playfield in a short amount of time. The last thing you want to do is put in 30+ hours of work stripping and prepping and sanding and the damn thing starts coming up around the flippers. That’s said, I’ve also played a number of them with no issues. YMMV

#15238 5 days ago

If anyone is interested in a mint condition TSSP with color DMD and speaker lights, full set of cliffys (uninstalled), Pm me.
This game is collector quality all around.
I’ll be headed through Wisconsin today.
You won’t find a nicer one. Open to possible trades.

#15239 5 days ago

What are used dmd's selling for? I'm about to start selling off some used/take off parts to clear out space. I have a red dmd (from hou ghostbusters) and a orange dmd from a hou lotr.

#15240 5 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What are used dmd's selling for? I'm about to start selling off some used/take off parts to clear out space. I have a red dmd (from hou ghostbusters) and a orange dmd from a hou lotr.

50-120

#15241 5 days ago

ok good, about right where I was thinking. Thank you.

#15242 4 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

ok good, about right where I was thinking. Thank you.

On pinside list as parts for all games you know; that will increase visibility. So if it’s a newer stern, attach to multiple compatible stern games. Then when a guy needs a replacement for Ac/dc it will pop up under the parts associated for the game.
Forgive me if you know this already.

#15243 4 days ago
Quoted from BFGoodflip:

The last thing you want to do is put in 30+ hours of work stripping and prepping and sanding and the damn thing starts coming up around the flippers.

And that’s why I say *swap the whole playfield. (*if you can afford or get a new or better playfield).
Plus you get a clean shot to rebuild and replace anything that’s worn out, and you’ll get better long term value for your time. Just say ‘n

#15244 3 days ago

If anyone around the madison area is looking to sell please reach out.

Looking for:

EHOH
BM66
DP
AC/DC pro vault
Stranger things pro

#15245 3 days ago

Any Minneapolis area thread members have experience with injection molding rubber or plastic parts? If so PM me as I would like to start making some custom pinball characters, parts, ramps, and rubbers, etc. I’d like to be taught the process in a hands-on, working environment.

#15246 3 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

And that’s why I say *swap the whole playfield.

Well, brobra, unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be an option with every playfield of they don’t make the darn thing. Plus, unless the game is a for sure keeper it’s tough to recoup the dough on a mid-tier title when you sell it after putting in 1,000$ playfield and 30 plus hours. As you know, it’s crazy work... premium titles, sure. But it seems like the hard top folks go after the 1500-3k titles, perhaps to keep the pricing somewhat relative to the machine’s value

#15247 3 days ago

Agreed on that. The horse is more than bloodied. I’ll put it to rest, and understand the hard top appeal. I suppose if done right it enhances the aesthetics and provides solid entertainment.

#15248 3 days ago
Quoted from BFGoodflip:

Well, brobra, unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be an option with every playfield of they don’t make the darn thing. Plus, unless the game is a for sure keeper it’s tough to recoup the dough on a mid-tier title when you sell it after putting in 1,000$ playfield and 30 plus hours. As you know, it’s crazy work... premium titles, sure. But it seems like the hard top folks go after the 1500-3k titles, perhaps to keep the pricing somewhat relative to the machine’s value

Here's the rub.

Even a new PF will feel different. I've done 6 of them, and each time I noticed the difference. Different wood, different ink, different assembly, etc.

I've played a few HTs, and they were fine. Depends on how much the game is worth and more importantly, how much your time is worth.

#15249 3 days ago

Wondering if anyone has some suggestions on powder coating in the map area? Have a wcs94 and the customer would like the rails and legs etc purple. Thanks in advance!

#15250 3 days ago

I've always used robertstone0407 on here. He is in Ohio and does great work. I've not found one locally.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 159.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 15.95
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Electronics
TheDudeMods
$ 16.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Haus
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 103.00
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 15271 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 306.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside