1A8D593B-9D4D-4652-A21C-9B01511D23CC (resized).jpeg
554F400D-5C3E-4B83-BC64-4EF9FB9789E0 (resized).jpeg
4CF4C989-CE6E-4342-B90E-4FB887C5D6E0 (resized).jpeg
MVIMG_20190820_171420 (resized).jpg
65527303_10220150873427148_2703891979682447360_o (resized).jpg
22448499_1716747395002052_745714275879255409_n (resized).jpg
12107919_10153193842349786_1176609030339450141_n (resized).jpg
Golden Ticket Event Aug 24th (resized).png
There are 20,728 posts in this topic. You are on page 267 of 415.
#13301 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

I would think as an op the token thing would be much more lucrative for Tilt. Just in the last 10 posts people have commented how they have tokens laying around. That's just free money for tilt because you didn't use them tearing up the machines.
Hell I might have some laying around here from a few years ago at this point when I was up for a visit.
chris

You gave them to me at the airport.

And you know they have to pay to make the tokens... so when people keep them they pay to make more :-p

#13302 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

And you know they have to pay to make the tokens..

In bulk they are cheap. If they walk out the door and never return, the location loses less money than the wear and tear on the machines if the tokens were used.

Only the owner knows why they switched to tokens, and are now switching back. Unless they post, it's just speculation about a business decision.

LTG : )

#13303 4 years ago

Tokens vs. Quarters - UP/DOWN MKE machines take both, isn't that the best of both worlds? They can run specials where you get extra tokens, or you can put in quarters if you don't want to wait at the bar to get tokens.

#13304 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

In bulk they are cheap. If they walk out the door and never return, the location loses less money than the wear and tear on the machines if the tokens were used.
Only the owner knows why they switched to tokens, and are now switching back. Unless they post, it's just speculation about a business decision.

I think it was on FB it was costing too much? But having to support tokens is more than tokens but the exchange mechs and coin mechs etc. I wonder if the tokens are heavier or lighter than a quarter? If lighter do they get stuck in the mech a lot?

#13305 4 years ago

Surprising move. I would imagine going to quarters would increase likelyhood of breakins in the games.
Maybe they had issues with other tokens being used in their place?

#13306 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Surprising move. I would imagine going to quarters would increase likelyhood of breakins in the games.

Oh ya, good point. They had their person jumped or their car broken into didn’t they? A few years ago?

#13307 4 years ago

I thought the tokens worked just fine. I’m at Tilt all the time and never have had issues with them getting stuck, etc. They are still going to need a change machine to change bills to quarters. Maybe they want to use the switch as a reason to eliminate the “bulk” discount where you get some extra tokens for a $20 or a $10. I’m sure I’m missing something, but it seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

#13308 4 years ago

Going to be listing my Avengers LE soon if anyone is interested send me a pm.
Also have my Black Knight SoR Premium still for sale.

#13309 4 years ago

As a player I dont care for tokens.
I buy a bunch, inevitably have some left over, and then they get jumbled in a pile with other tokens. Since all the tokens are slightly different (size/weight for specific mech purposes) then I can accidentally jam up mechs and have to keep track or forced to use them all at once.

As an OP, I see tokens as being a real PITA. You need to buy in bulk, they walk off and cost you money, people still want to use quarters at times (can then jam your token mechs), and worst off in bigger cities with tons of barcades you are dealing with tokens purchased for pennies on specials at other spots possibly going in your games.

Cash is universal and king.

Quarters are my choice as player and operator.

#13310 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Well, when the games cost $1.00 per game, they'll just have bill receptors - no need for quarters

#13311 4 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

Well, when the games cost $1.00 per game, they'll just have bill receptors - no need for quarters

Don't most places charge $1.00 per game these days? I don't get out on location much at all these days, but from what i hear most are $1.00. I prefer quarters myself or dollar bills. Do love the fact that Tilt charges only .50 a game on all there pins except TBL.

#13312 4 years ago

well, I was referring to Tilt in my message. When I was first at Tilt - I think most games were .25 - and only a handful at .50

I , too, prefer quarters though. who wants a pocketful of leftover tokens -which it seemed I always had when I left there lol

#13313 4 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

I'm guessing it's also a way to increase their price per game. I don't remember exactly but I thought you would get a "deal" by getting $20 worth of tokens at a time and get X number for Free tokens. Making the switch to quarters would obviously eliminate this and increase the revenue per game. I'm sure this wouldn't be a huge increase or the main reason to make the switch, but interesting to note nonetheless.

#13314 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I think it was on FB it was costing too much?

Look on line at pricing for tokens. FB post was wrong.

Quoted from northvibe:

But having to support tokens is more than tokens but the exchange mechs and coin mechs etc.

Often just change a couple parts on the mech to accept tokens or quarters.

Quoted from Whysnow:

As an OP, I see tokens as being a real PITA.

Look at the big picture. Reduce break ins. Tokens in bulk are cheap. And during the video fad days the ads in the magazines were to the point. Once you sold the token, you made the sale.

As I posted above, they'd be money ahead if a player bought the tokens and left. If you start playing games, you are causing wear and tear. Over the long haul cheaper to have the tokens walk than used. Consider cleaning and maintenance.

I explained to some customers once when they asked me why I didn't switch to tokens. I pointed out that if you give me a dollar and I hand you 4¢ worth of brass. I'm already ahead right then and there. If you give me a dollar and I hand you four quarters. I need clean games. Fun games. New games. I have to earn your quarters.

I always thought it was a more honest way of doing business. More fair to my customers.

#13315 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look on line at pricing for tokens. FB post was wrong.

Often just change a couple parts on the mech to accept tokens or quarters.

Look at the big picture. Reduce break ins. Tokens in bulk are cheap. And during the video fad days the ads in the magazines were to the point. Once you sold the token, you made the sale.
As I posted above, they'd be money ahead if a player bought the tokens and left. If you start playing games, you are causing wear and tear. Over the long haul cheaper to have the tokens walk than used. Consider cleaning and maintenance.
I explained to some customers once when they asked me why I didn't switch to tokens. I pointed out that if you give me a dollar and I hand you 4¢ worth of brass. I'm already ahead right then and there. If you give me a dollar and I hand you four quarters. I need clean games. Fun games. New games. I have to earn your quarters.
I always thought it was a more honest way of doing business. More fair to my customers.

on the flip side... what about when you competitors start offering tokens that also work in your mechs?

Then you made zero money on the sale of the tokens and still have to maintain the game.
I am guessing there are at least 3 token spots currently in twin cities? That means a reasonable chance that a token operator is having someone else's tokens regularly end up in their games?

I also prefer the honesty of using real currency.

#13316 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

on the flip side... what about when you competitors start offering tokens that also work in your mechs?

I wasn't advocating using tokens. Just that the cost of them is cheap.

Back in the video fad hey days some arcades in my area would have you arrested for using tokens not bought there. It is called theft of services.

#13317 4 years ago

I imagine people were buying generic tokens on amazon and using them in their machines. A quick check shows 1000 for $60.
My thoughts are just switch to bills only. And vary the credits as needed.

#13318 4 years ago

I actually prefer not using tokens OR quarters, and instead use PayRange. I love the machines here that have that setup - and they can setup bonuses like "play 5 games, get one free." That said, I've read on here that PayRange isn't always very economical for the operator.

#13319 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I actually prefer not using tokens OR quarters, and instead use PayRange. I love the machines here that have that setup - and they can setup bonuses like "play 5 games, get one free." That said, I've read on here that PayRange isn't always very economical for the operator.

PayRange is a cool idea, but it's incredibly unreliable and nearly impossible to use in my experience. One of our local spots has PayRange-enabled games, and I think I've successfully used it to pay once, out of maybe 50 attempts.

#13320 4 years ago

As Hilton noted, cash is universal. What I hate most though, is the cards that you have to buy and "load" money on to. Similar to tokens, it's an annoyance for the player. I am 100% less likely to buy a card and load it with money than I would be for throwing in dollar bills or quarters. Just my $.25

#13321 4 years ago

Tilt answered why they are doing this on FB. It costs more than it's worth.

"To answer questions on tokens:
They have no cash value. We will not be buying them back. If you have an abundance of them, get in by December 31 to use them up!
With the amount of money we spend on tokens each year, we would rather put that into new and different machines for you to enjoy. We hope you understand this decision and continue to enjoy Tilt as much as we enjoy having you!
January 1 games will be $0.50/play, with the exception of Big Lebowski.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS from your friends at TILT!"

#13322 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lots of apartments nearby using the same size laundry tokens. I've got some Tilt tokens from our laundry coin dispenser, wouldn't be surprised if they got some of ours.

#13323 4 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Reminder, Pinball league at 7:00 pm at hudson tap on tuesdays. Need more players to keep league alive. Free to join. BOGO first drink at the bar.

I'd love to join in, but that's the same time as my son's basketball practice. After that wraps up, if it is still going I'll drop by! We do eat there a few times a month and play some rounds on the pins.

#13324 4 years ago

I have tokens I use at home. My left over tilts will be put into my home use rotation.
Tilt tokens are .9 ,smaller than a quarter. There is one size smaller .8 I have some Edwards theater tokens this size. If .8 are used in a .9 mech it will jam. Larger then a quarter and smaller than a dollar are the chucky cheese size. I beleive up down uses this size. These are more expensive to use because the slot needs to be modified. .9 is the most popular. In small batches new are closer to .20 each. But large volumes are cheaper. I wanted to attach a picture of these tokens. But pinside sucks for blocking photos from casual conversation.
Mechs can be modified but not recommended for commercial use. It’s recommended to pay up for proper token mechs. These are more expensive than quarter mechs that come with games. On the flip side you are running a (mostly) clean controlled currency through the mechs. Less mech maintance. It’s really a hem and haw situation.

#13325 4 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Reminder, Pinball league at 7:00 pm at hudson tap on tuesdays. Need more players to keep league alive. Free to join. BOGO first drink at the bar.

I'm interested in joining. I couldn't make the first week but I'm planning to come next week.

#13326 4 years ago

How has no one started a poll about quarters vs tokens...... that seems like a successful way to waste so time.

#13327 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You gave them to me at the airport.
And you know they have to pay to make the tokens... so when people keep them they pay to make more :-p

I just downvoted this. That was fun. I’m not sure I have ever done that before........Happy Friday.

#13328 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

How has no one started a poll about quarters vs tokens...... that seems like a successful way to waste so time.

There has been thread discussions about home use tokens.

#13329 4 years ago

Going to be in the minni cities tomorrow night. If I only go to one place to play some classic pinball where should it be? By classic I mean not new sterns. Thanks

#13330 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Going to be in the minni cities tomorrow night. If I only go to one place to play some classic pinball where should it be? By classic I mean not new sterns. Thanks

Blainbrook Bowl

#13332 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Either Tilt: https://www.tiltpinballbar.com/games/

Or SS Billiards: http://www.ssbilliards.com/

Pick SS if you want to meet Pinside's very own LTG (and his puppy Prada!), or pick Tilt if you want to eat/drink while you're there. Or do both.

#13333 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:Going to be in the minni cities tomorrow night. If I only go to one place to play some classic pinball where should it be? By classic I mean not new sterns. Thanks
Quoted from beergut666:

Blainbrook Bowl

Blue Sun Soda Shop is close to Blainbrook as well. They have a selection of new and old pins. Also plenty of candy and soda (or pop!) for the kids and adults....

#13334 4 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Blue Sun Soda Shop is close to Blainbrook as well. They have a selection of new and old pins. Also plenty of candy and soda (or pop!) for the kids and adults....

I go to Blue Sun quite a bit, it's closer to me than Blainbrook, $.25 per game is awesome, and the line up of games is solid. That fucking air hockey table though, it's so obnoxiously loud in that room that often I just leave when kids are in there banging away on it. If you can get in there on a weekday afternoon that place is bliss, and the people that work there are very friendly.

#13335 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

I go to Blue Sun quite a bit, it's closer to me than Blainbrook, $.25 per game is awesome, and the line up of games is solid. That fucking air hockey table though, it's so obnoxiously loud in that room that often I just leave when kids are in there banging away on it. If you can get in there on a weekday afternoon that place is bliss, and the people that work there are very friendly.

I totally agree, you get a couple screeching kids in that concrete room playing air hockey and you better have ear plugs.
That's when I walk away too.

#13336 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Going to be in the minni cities tomorrow night.

Thank you for stopping in. Glad you had a great time here. A pleasure to meet you. Safe journeys my friend !

#13337 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thank you for stopping in. Glad you had a great time here. A pleasure to meet you. Safe journeys my friend !

Must be talking about someone else. Not sure what I’ll end up doing tonight though. Up to the old lady haha.

#13338 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Must be talking about someone else.

I'm sorry. I had a visitor from the Dakotas last night and thought it was you.

Hope you have safe journeys too !

#13339 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Either Tilt: https://www.tiltpinballbar.com/games/
Or SS Billiards: http://www.ssbilliards.com/
Pick SS if you want to meet Pinside's very own LTG (and his puppy Prada!), or pick Tilt if you want to eat/drink while you're there. Or do both.

Ended up going to tilt, fun place. Finally played a lebowski.. awesome pin... but this the first time ive ever actually noticed flipper lag on a game.. odd

I always find whirlwinds in the wild and think oh I can beat that grand champ easy.. and I get sucked into playing a pin for an hour that I have sitting in my basement. Had a killer first ball going. Easy grand champ killer... drain drain drainnnnnn

Fun though.. you guys are lucky you have places to play and mingle.

#13340 4 years ago

Anyone got an Attack from Mars LE they are looking to part with?

#13342 4 years ago

Current line up at Cleveland pub in New Berlin Wisconsin

Elvira House of horrors LE
Dialed in LE
Alice coopers nightmare castle

Elvira is $2.00 a pop

Both Elvira and dialed in got a code update.

The dialed in one is sweet. Like a new game!

#13343 4 years ago

Congrats on the quick sale

#13344 4 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Current line up at Cleveland pub in New Berlin Wisconsin
Elvira House of horrors LE
Dialed in LE
Alice coopers nightmare castle
Elvira is $2.00 a pop
Both Elvira and dialed in got a code update.
The dialed in one is sweet. Like a new game!

I had a hard time putting $2 into that Elvira but thankfully won a match game.

#13345 4 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

I had a hard time putting $2 into that Elvira but thankfully won a match game.

I'm not putting $2 into any pin><><>

#13346 4 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I'm not putting $2 into any pin&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;

Yeah that’s crazy. Never seen a pin @ $2 before.

#13347 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Yeah that’s crazy. Never seen a pin @ $2 before.

Thats what they are at Disney resorts too :/ luckily they are very happy to give out replays.

#13348 4 years ago

I'll be listing a HUO Deadpool Pro and a HUO Iron Maiden Pro just after New Years. PM me if you might be interested and you can have first stab at it. I've got a MMrRE on order and need the funds for that.

#13349 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Thats what they are at Disney resorts too :/ luckily they are very happy to give out replays.

That's not so bad if replays are obtainable I suppose.

#13350 4 years ago

Thinking about selling my Munsters LE with some great mods.

Will list if there is interest.

PM me

There are 20,728 posts in this topic. You are on page 267 of 415.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unofficial-wisconsin-minnesota-thread/page/267?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.