image (resized).jpeg
DSC_1458 (resized).jpg
milcog2 (resized).jpg
milcog1 (resized).jpg
IMG_1784 (resized).JPG
vice pin (resized).jpg
20161228_001507 (resized).jpg
time machine work (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 7 years ago

I oddly have no particular plans this year. My MC has developed some phantom issues, so probably not it. My other games are all stored and packed away at the moment while I am attempting to build out the game room in between doing about a million other things.

I'm sure I'll end up with something there, although it may be machines that others have on loan that I'll be collecting back to put into my new basement arcade which I'm hoping is ready for more games by then!

...and MAYBE a GB Pro or Premium, if I get nuts.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Does this mean you'lol have to pay for a weekend pass since you might not be bringing something to share?

Yeah, and NO AFTER PARTY for me!

Jerks should just give me a ticket for it.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

It would be nice if we had some kind of online list where we could see who was bringing what and what was for sale...

It's usually this thread or one like it! We tried doing public lists in the past, but stopped because it changes, and because we tend to have a significant number of people signing up at the end. Keith does tend to keep a list of what is coming so you can ask him about dupes, but he generally won't confirm a particular game is coming otherwise.

#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Sidenote...website says the main hotel is booked already?

They had a couple rooms as of yesterday. That may have changed.

Oddly, we sold 200ish rooms in the first four weeks. It's been like 20 since.

The hit down the block is great, and walkable. If you did the hotel further away (before last year), this one Is way closer.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I have Dan's Stargate that i will be bringing back to the show. goatdan, you can have my ticket for that one. wouldn't want you to be left out of an awesome afterparty.

Hahaha, I love that I post and already have two people brining machines to give back to me so I can go to the after party! Whew!

New the question is: how many games will Dan have at the show that are his but we're brought by someone else to return to him? I put the over under at 5.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Cybernaut, will be for sale too.

Oh hell, I'm tempted to buy this and sell my Cybernaut at the show!

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Damn, really wanted to go but it's the same weekend as PAPA. Why would they do that? Make it either the weekend before or after PAPA and attendance would be better.

We've been on the same weekend for a number of years. We also don't have our own facility, and are signed years in advance, although there is more to that which is boring so I'll leave it there.

I understand you're not a show organizer, but I never fault anyone for running something on the exact same weekend. You have only so many things you can work with, and often times there is much going on behind the scenes that you don't see.

We will miss the dozen or so people that choose to go to PAPA instead of us, but it wasn't something that we could just snap our fingers and move the show for. Beyond that, we're far enough away that we just won't impact them. I'm sure we'll also have a dozen or so people come to us instead of going to PAPA. But, with the exception of the top players, most of whom don't go to MGC due to our tournament situation anyway, I don't know that the crossover is huge.

No matter what, I hope you do great at PAPA! From what I have heard, it's a great event!

Quoted from Whysnow:

MGC will feature probably 120-150 pins, the majority of which tend to be amazing condition that local and regional collectors have spent countless hours restoring to better then new condition and moding out with all sort of cool stuff.

Last year, I believe we had more than 200 pins at the show. If you add the 350 at Tom's last year, we had 550 available for attendees. Tom though can't do his open house this year, unfortunately.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I would guess MGC had over 5000 in attendance each day last year, but I dont have any numbers.

I do have the numbers. MGC had almost exactly 5000 people each day last year.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Are there no other skill-based contests allowed in the municipality, with entry fees and prizes, such as darts or pool?

Without getting into this too much, the law is selectively enforced against us, and because we don't have enough money to pay to change the law, nothing is going to change.

I actually just wrote more, but it involves me getting negative, and all things considered, I actually sort of like the way it moved us away from Pump-N-Dump into new tournament formats that allow more players to participate in ways that are great competition. The competition itself has grown majorly in all categories since it happened (pinball has nearly doubled participation, video game competition has gone up more than 1000%), I think because it caused us to get creative and make better formats that are both competitive but that also do not need to be played as long.

On the pinball side, the change did cause us to lose a few big players who really wanted the payouts above anything else, the number of players who told me how much more they like the show because they enter and then can go enjoy it without worrying about having to keep playing to get a better position offsets that entirely. Often times, I think that restrictions like this increase creativity and cause things to be better, so no matter how unfair the situation is against us, the results are that gamers can and will overcome

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

I just booked a room with no problems.
TPM

You must have got the only available room! The hotel confirmed with me Friday that they had sold out of all rooms! Unless you used our partner hotel, in which case they do have rooms available and are a great deal too!

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I had a friend call last week and they had three rooms left, but wanted $200 ish a night. So they had some available, but you gotta pay a bit more.

There were a few of the preferred rooms available that give you access to a special room with snacks and stuff. All of the rooms in the hotel are ours, they don't sell extras. There may be a way to sneak in if you are a Sheraton rewards member of a certain ranking because I know they "guarantee" rooms then, but otherwise, nope!

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

This is the hotel I'm confirmed at. Is the the one where MGC is at, or the sister hotel?

That's our partner hotel. It's great too It's just under the freeway overpass and has some great amenities that I wish the Sheraton had.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The lines move pretty quickly. I usually get there about 15 minutes early but even if you showed up right at 10, not much waiting.

If you preorder, by 10 there is no line. We don't start cash or credit sales until 10 for tickets, so there is a line for that. Pre-ordering also does get you in a bit early, so you can show up and get in the vendor hall as early as 930. We start taking tickets at 915ish, and have generally at most a 5 minute line until 10am for that.

2 weeks later
#164 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Has the info for bringing a game been mailed out yet?

Keith checks in and sends out updates sort of sporadically, he'll probably send an update pretty soon.

3 weeks later
#178 7 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Sorry if this was posted, but have preorder tickets gone on sale?
Thanks!

Yeah, a long time ago! Especially if you are looking for Friday night VIG or the Friday night Brewers game please order soon as they are close to sold out. Due to both the limited nature of both of these events, these are hard ticketed even if you are bringing something to share with everyone. If you are bringing multiple games and would otherwise be claiming show cash, a few people have spoken with me about using that and that works for me, but please contact me if that is the case.

Show tickets for Saturday and Sunday do not sell out, but I'm constantly playing with making our expenses and income meet, so if you can purchase earlier it specifically helps us do more cool stuff right away this year. We have a lot of different possibilities in the pipeline, so anything can help.

If you are bringing a game, if you'd like to get a Limited Edition shirt, you can order one without purchasing a ticket. The shirt pre-order closes about three weeks from now, and we only print up the amount that are pre-ordered. We do expect a different shirt for the actual show this year too.

Hope this helps anyone wondering! It's been quite the crazy year - I don't know that I've ever felt so overwhelmed with stuff happening so early - but I think my plate is starting to open, and the line up that we have already seems awesome... I can't wait to see what else we end up with!

Tickets can be purchased at http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/buy-tickets/

2 weeks later
#199 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Glitch == pre-arrange a game sale, take it in, set it up, claim wristband, buyer takes game ? That's pretty shitty.

It's actually even slightly worse. The above happened sometimes, but also...

We would have people set up a game, someone say they were there to set up a game, go in, make a deal for it and walk out with it. In one specific case, I had someone in one of my Facebook groups post the pics of the STTNG that they bought at the MGC last month (this was a couple years ago).

I asked about where it was on the show floor, as I had been trying to get some time on one to decide if it was a future acquisition target, and the response was that he had snuck in Friday night and bought it and removed it because "It doesn't make sense to buy a ticket if I can just get things Friday night, and besides who actually wants their game played all weekend?"

Considering we really don't make much of any money off the show, and I'm constantly terrified that I'll have to personally cover the shows $150k+ expenses, this was a fix we thought was very fair. It covers the cost of a two day pass as well as the cost of a one day pass.

Its also why who can be in the hall is enforced stricter now.

#201 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Saturday admission is $40 in advance, what is the admission price if purchased on Sat?

It's the same at the door, it's just for early admittance.

Having said that, prepaying greatly helps us, so if you know you're coming, I'd appreciate it. I have to write like $20k in checks this week, and strong pre-sales help us do more cool stuff.

2 weeks later
#223 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

FYI, Marco has both, pro and premium.

Premiums are going to be used in the tournament, as Hilton mentioned, free to enter.

One of them is mine. I generally like Pros better because I find them faster. I played a ton of both and after the pro wasn't even sure I would get one, and I'm a huge Ghostbusters nerd. Like, mouth breathing, nerd. And after time with the pro I wasn't sure it was a game for me.

The premium changed that. Part of that may be that it was Neos premium, and he made a couple fixes, but in general the pro doesn't have many shots from the left flipper and the premium does. That was what drove me nuts about the pro, and the premium fixes it.

You can order one from Marco while at the show if you'd like. But do play first, I get that the pro some people find better. I am going to put a pro translite into my game when it's done this weekend as I like that one way more!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unofficial-midwest-gaming-classic-mgc-what-are-you-bringing-thread?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.