(Topic ID: 94802)

Unofficial Everything Southern Fried Gameroom Expo Thread!

By altan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shimoda
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

me & jim.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150621_101910.jpg
    20150620_112322.jpg
    20150621_102248.jpg
    20150621_102148.jpg
    20150621_102117.jpg
    20150620_231340.jpg
    20150619_183243.jpg
    20150619_183609.jpg
    2015-06-21 12.34.13-930.jpg
    2015-06-21 12.22.04.jpg
    IMG_20150622_225924.jpg
    IMG_20150622_225908.jpg
    Celebrate18.gif
    pythonart.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Someone pick up my Nascar! It's a steal at 1800. Full cointaker led kit too!

Agreed, that was a steal. I'd have been all over it if I had room left in my trailer. After we left , my 15-year-old son said that was his favorite game of the show. I said "You should have told me, I'd have bought it!" He said "You should have told me you'd buy it!". Funny.

#62 9 years ago

Sorry for the repeat, some info posted elsewhere...

Whirlwind - 650
    Iron Man - 631
    Space Station - 465
    Congo - 438
    LOTR - 388
    Fathom - low plays, broke on Saturday AM
    DH - in tournament
    Embryon - in tournament

Most games were fine. LOTR was turned off a few times due to ball hangs. People texted me and I was able to come and fix it. 2 of Fathom's 3 flippers died, haven't looked at it yet to see why. Embryon had a ball hang and the lock didn't work; Bryan had to drill it out.

It took me 3.5 hours to load the games, even with help. I lost 3-4 pounds over the weekend. Next year I'll do 4-6 pins, and leave room to bring one home.

#63 9 years ago

The highlights for me were:

Hook's pimped and awesome Mustang.
    The seminar on home-brew vids and pins.
    Seeing Barry Oursler play a lot of pinball.
    Meeting Hooked and the guys from Marco.
    Keeping scores for the tournament, and watching some great players.
    Time Fantasy, X-Men, I500, Mustang, Abracadabra.
    Selling my Vectrex to a dad whose 11-yr-old fell in love with it.
    Buying a nice Jumping Jack from the same guy.

#67 9 years ago

I spent a lot of time going between the ST Premium and Hooked's Mustang. Not knowing the rules to either, my son and I preferred Mustang. I didn't like all the music, but that's what Pinball Browser is for. I liked the dead-end shot, the drops and the 3-way ramp, and I loved the SFX with the sub. I'll be watching this one.

I bought the Jumping Jack with the restored cabinet and coin door. It's not my favorite Gottlieb artwork, but it's hella fun to play. Really enjoyed meeting the seller and his son.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I was thinking of getting a IMVE and decided that it would not be good in a HuO environment - too hard. I did put up 46 million on John's IM the 2nd game on it also, but it kicked my butt around 4 out of 5 games I played on it. Why would I buy an IM over a LOTR anyway? I had never played LOTR and it was an Awsome game.
    Greg

Hi Greg, I enjoyed meeting you. It's funny, I'm exactly the opposite with IM/LOTR. The reason I love IM is that when I have a great game (like your 46M!), it doesn't take an hour to achieve it. LOTR is epic - just like the Tolkien books - but requires a big time commitment. It's a good pin while on vacation.

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Someone got a picture of that High Speed burning up:

That's my pic of my friend's game. Nothing in the game was actually burning other than the power cord, thankfully. I think the game itself is fine. There was a short in the A/C cord that SHOULD have tripped a breaker. Instead the rubber insulation started melting/burning. As soon as I saw the smoke, I ran over and pulled its power cord.

Then I went up to my buddy (who was playing Time Fantasy) and calmly said "Hey, your High Speed's on fire." That was fun.

#88 9 years ago

I'm already making a list of games to bring to next year's show:

'73 World Series pitch and bat
    Centigrade 37
    Fathom (working)
    Black Knight w/ CPR playfield
    Whirlwind w/ CPR playfield
    RFM
    CSI

Yep, that should be good.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from BlackKnight:

The smoke rolling down between the playfield and glass looked very cool too. Did someone get a picture of that? Just glad it didn't set off the sprinkler system! Steve Richie might find these pics entertaining as well.

I reserve the right to market this mod. 10% of the proceeds will go to my tournament-winning friend whose HS inspired it. And it must be said: this pic really makes me want to get high.

photo 4-X3.jpgphoto 4-X3.jpg

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

Scared Stiff ended up with 365 games played in 28 hours.
    Avg ball time, 65 seconds
    Avg game time, 4:35

SS was the only game I really wanted to play but didn't get a chance to. If you see anything in my collection you want to temp-trade for (3-6 months), let me know. Hey, did you end up keeping the traffic light? Missed your seminar at SFGE. See you at Dragon*Con.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Maybe I should view it as, informally, 51 weeks until SFGE
    ... Altan

I'm sure that's how the organizers are viewing it!

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from BlackKnight:

Swampfire, wasn't sure if you saw your Space Station video from 904 Pinball Zine (https://www.youtube.com/user/904PinballZine), so here it is:
    » YouTube video

Well done! Thanks, I've subscribed to your channel. Nice.

1 week later
    #117 9 years ago

My video reel - sorry for the excessive panning for the first few minutes:

0:47 - Awesome hair
    1:40 - Pinvasion finals (?)
    2:00 - 24 pins in a row!
    3:32 - Barry Oursler plays BSD
    5:02 - Barry Oursler plays AC/DC
    5:42 - Bob & Robby work on a pin
    6:59 - Escher plays an EM
    7:16 - Custom games
    7:51 - Robert Campbell's Mustang

#126 9 years ago

Has anybody watched my video? It gets better in the second half; give it a chance.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I wonder if Ice Cold Beer somehow keeps track like an audit. I'm curious how many times it got closer to the top. Making it to hole 10 is not crapping out. The event was a Whirlwind. Hopefully the game didn't mess up on you while you were at 10!
    I did watch it. Great video. It was disappointing that the shot my Ice Cold Beer was from the end when it has the out of order sign on it. It was actually still working but getting stuck every hour or so which made me turn it off because after the show I still wanted it to work for me.

My 15-year-old asks me every other day now: "Have you found an Ice Cold Beer yet? Why not?"

Let me know if you want to do a temp trade for 3-4 months, just so he'll get tired of it.

9 months later
    #150 8 years ago

I've got a Google doc with a punch list for every game I'm bringing. I think I have time to get it all sorted - I really want my games to be 100%. My biggest worry is that I jacked up my left arm recently. I hope I'm back to 100% myself in 6 weeks.

1 month later
    #179 8 years ago

I hope I haven't built up the 1985 Arcade too much. I expect it's something that will get a little better every year. For now, it's all about the games and the music. Maybe we can add a costume contest next year. Members Only jacket and parachute pants for break dancing, anyone?

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think it will be great. If you can find a floor lamp or something, I have some "disco light" lightbulbs. They turn and project colors on the ceiling/walls.

Cool, I'll bring at least one floor lamp. I have a cool DJ wash effect, but it's one of those that you can only run for 15 minutes on/off without overheating the bulb. I'll see if I can crack it open and replace the incandescent with an LED bulb.

#185 8 years ago

I packed up 6 of my 8 pins this weekend, and made up a few more "pinball buddies" from 1/2" black pipe. These are for holding up the back of the game while you install or remove the back legs. I'll start a thread about that when I get them painted and looking nice.

[EDIT: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-a-pinball-buddy-for-less-than-50]

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I was going to build some stands from wood. Why not start the thread and update it as you complete. That way others can start the build process before we run out of time. I for one want a butter way of getting them on and off their legs this year. At a minimum send me a picture.

Here you go:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-a-pinball-buddy-for-less-than-50

#197 8 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Are any folks bringing machines into their hotel rooms for after partying like at some of the other shows

Really not necessary - the Free Play area is open until midnight. Head to the bar after that, and then to the pool when they close the bar. I'm planning to behave myself this year, so the post-midnight mischief will be up to someone else.

#211 8 years ago

I have 6 off-legs and ready to go. Working on Andromeda (newly-broken left EOS switch) now. This is exactly what killed my Fathom at SFGE last year:

IMG_6875.JPGIMG_6875.JPG

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

34 hours and I will be unloading games at the show! Can't wait!

I think your math is wrong, and you're scaring me.

#213 8 years ago

Three tips I learned from last year:

1) Set up your cordless drill with a 5/8" socket (and set it to very low torque). Finish with a normal socket wrench.

2) Mark which legs go to which game. Nothing sadder than an Embryon with Stern legs

3) These 24-inch "Gear Ties" from Home Depot are great for keeping legs together:

IMG_6871.JPGIMG_6871.JPG

#237 8 years ago
    Quoted from gentrsa:

I do have a buddy that has an original Black Knight but other than this I would Like to know of anyone as well, that would be interesting.

My Black Knight will be there. Not much original is left, though - It's all CPR / Mayfair / Kohut.

#241 8 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

last year it was closer to 200

Here's a snapshot of the game list right after the show:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140720191507/http://www.southernfriedgameroomexpo.com/index.php/games2014/

There were about 100 pins last year. I think the quality will be even better this year.

#242 8 years ago

Hey, I just rediscovered this great set of professional pictures from last year (the photographer is Juan Jusino):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117416433@N05/sets/72157644912631699/

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

everyone looks exactly like their avatars right?

Yes, I'll be 12 and smoking a Carlton. .

This is me a few years ago.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #256 8 years ago

I'm pretty excited about the games that are coming. Kiss, Lexie Lightspeed, TWD, AMH, MMr, TOTAN...and some early EMs: Fleet, Kilroy, Egg Head.

#261 8 years ago

Weather radar is predicting light rain between 7-9pm at SFGE. I'm not complaining; it's a nice cool overcast 81 here. Last year it was a 95-degree scorcher during load-in (if I recall correctly).

#270 8 years ago
    Quoted from Flake:

Officially packed and ready!

Holy cow...Tempest, MM, Funhouse, TAF...nice contributions!

#292 8 years ago

Here are some pics of the 1985 arcade...just a subset of the 80's offerings at the show. The response has been really positive so far!

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image-62.jpgimage-62.jpgimage-575.jpgimage-575.jpg

#297 8 years ago

6 KISSes!

#338 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Did you guys figure out why BK wasn't firing a game?

I suspect that a trough switch isn't registering on Black Knight - sorry I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot it on Sunday (I was recovering from an awful hangover). I'm also a little bummed out that Embryon died, and Space Station's motor died. But I enjoyed the compliments I got on Strange World, Andromeda, Fathom and Time Fantasy. I'll try to bring those 4 back next year.

I wish I could get those KISS songs out of my head.

#345 8 years ago

New tradition - the post load-out selfie:
    (Warning: may frighten small children)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#375 8 years ago

I always wonder how I should clean my playfields after a show. I clean and wax them before, so maybe just Novus1?

#387 8 years ago

I loaded in Thursday night, and had so many people offering to help that I actually had to turn a few away. Load-out was fine too. I'm always surprised to see pins moved on their legs - they roll great once they're broken down.

Huge thanks to Mike Martin, who worked with me until load-in and setup were completely done on my 8 pins.

#399 8 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

Does anyone know the name and/or have contact information for the vendor that was at the entrance to the 1985 arcade on Friday night, but was gone after that?

Monsterarcades.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unofficial-everything-southern-fried-gameroom-expo-thread?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.