(Topic ID: 11231)

unlicensed themes for pins.

By mrgone

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizzardz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 12 years ago

I'm sure licensed themes benefit all involved. The theme owner gets licensing fees and advertising along with a say in how the theme is presented (for good and bad).

The manufacturer saved a lot of time and uncertainty involved with creating a theme. They will typically have a lot better idea of the appeal of a licensed theme (based on franchise popularity, sequel performance, etc) than with original art/theme.

Of course ops and players love them because of the instant association that adds considerably to the "attract" mode and coin drops.

I don't know if there's been a look at quantities of licensed machines produced vs unlicensed. But looking at the system 80B theme-knock-off games, they seemed to produce quantities similar to system 80 and better than system 80a licensed themes. So maybe its only necessary to be close to a licensed theme to sell. I wonder if a pin company could even get away with those sort of knock-offs today. Perhaps mix licenses up to help keep the lawyers busy - Unobtainium Man, Indianapolis Jones, Attack from Mordor, Wizard of Ozzie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizzardz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unlicensed-themes-for-pins?tu=wizzardz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.