(Topic ID: 11231)

unlicensed themes for pins.

By mrgone

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 12 years ago

Being a marketer I can tell you licensing sells, it get players to stop. Only a true pinhead would stop to check out an unliscensed theme. In the scheme of things the license is only a very small part of the pinball making expense, I asked this question of Gary at expo.

#21 12 years ago

I find it interesting how many new machines sell out or are secured prior to even seeing the machine, for example Transformers LE's sold out instantly, as did the AC/DC LE's. I believe license has everything to do with this. Even though they are limited, it is all about license and not game play in this instance anyway. If someone said that "Mega Heroes" or "Army madness" was coming out next month, people would not go crazy, or preorder

I agree game play wins all day for a pinhead. But even theme gets the pinheads to jump in or come running for the next title. I guess for the money, a them does one thing, it grabs attention, and bring in players, and buyers if nothing else.

Just to prove my point, IF same exact game play, what would sell or get played more on route? Army Madness, or Call of Duty/Modern Warfare..........Mega Heroes or Avengers? Unfortunately, a lot has changed in society, fast pace, a lot competing for attention, and if you loved the Avengers movie, you might just take time out of you day to give the pin a whirl.

Now me being a pinhead, I will play anything at least once BTW, no one is right or wrong here, just good conversation! As a pinhead, I am interested in any title if the game play is good!

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

When it comes down to it for pinheads it's the play that matters. For the general public, not so much. I like the older B/W's unlicensed pins because they hold up over time, but there are some good pins with bad themes that still do well, TS, JM, etc. Would FT be as good of a game if it was titled "Bill Dance's Bass Fishin'"? Maybe not the best example.
    What is worse, the blatant knock-off's that Gottlieb put out towards the end of their existence, or the pins based on movies that don't hold up over the years? LW3, DM, TS, etc? When they were new those games got played because they were tied into current movies and made money for operators. No one was thinking about 20 years down the road. It's even more of a factor today.

Its true, license or not, the game has to be good to be played. Solid point!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unlicensed-themes-for-pins?tu=ovfdfireman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.