Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3781B53F-7232-41D7-907A-17410D4349D8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4063 (resized).JPG
IMG_4071 (resized).JPG
IMG_4053 (resized).JPG
CBEFD7DA-CBA3-4745-96BA-7BE0063F1C0E (resized).png
544CAAA6-7734-45BC-A8B6-3FF26AFE8E89 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

I've mentioned in other threads, we use to do rollercoaster vacations. Sometimes two weeks straight. I'd buy a SixFlags season pass and at the time, you could visit any SF for free. We did just about all the theme backs east of the Mississippi. We became pros at managing the crowds (we hated to wait in long lines).

But back to Universal. We'd hit City Walk when the crowds were in the parks (i.e. while everyone is doing the rides, we'd eat). Then when people are eating, hit the rides

Can't say I've done a lot at City Walk. Just meals and walk around the shops. There was a Lowe's theater if you want to catch a flick and get off your feet (don't know if it's still there). The HP area is neat just from the aspect of detail. Some of the rides queue areas are just amazing. That's the problem when the rides are walk on - you miss just how elaborate the queues really are.

You might already know this, but here's some tips: Get there early, and go to the back of the park first. Everyone is still up front working their way back. Then when everyone is in the back, head towards the front. Stay late - people leave early. We'd also go to the park during off times. How do you know when that is? When the airlines charge the cheapest rates to fly to Orlando. Universal is rather empty the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, you just about have the place to yourself. But they close earlier too.

Have you seen the Christmas thing where they project images outside onto the HP castle on YouTube? Crazy cool. I haven't seen that in person tho.

Not sure if I really answered you questions. Most their rides are top-tier. Eating the the Jurassic Park Visitor Center is fun - looks a lot like the visitor center in the movies. Not fancy food. Eating by the pond at Universal (not IOA) is nice too - in warmer weather. Nice views.

If I'm not mistaken if you buy a wand at IOA, it can be used to 'activate' different things at the HP area. But look into the details since I've never done that.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Ok, so I’m in no means an expert, but we’ve been recently and have some ideas.
For the HP diehards (like my wife), we had to buy the park hopper or whatever Universal calls it. It allows you to take the train between parks and its HP-themed. Going towards Hogwarts may be scary for kids (towards Islands of Adventure) but towards Gringotts (the original park) it’s pleasant.
The rides for Harry Potter can be nauseating tho. The Gringotts has a legit fast drop (the rest of the ride is meh tho hahaha) and I experienced motion sickness on the Forbidden Journey (in Hogwarts). The one that was probably the smoothest coaster I have ever been on is Hagrid’s. A hack that my wife and I did was split up as separate riders. We ended up in back-to-back carts.
Beyond that, the rest of both parks are super fun.
Oh, we usually eat at The Three Boomsticks next to the train/Hagrid’s at Islands of Adventure. It reminds you of a London pub with tasty food.

Did you every try Dramamine? Personally, I've never needed so I don't know how well it works, but that seems to be the 'go to' OTC med for rides.

#8 1 year ago

There's a YouTube channel called Amusement Labs that 'goes behind the scenes' and explains how rides work. The guy does a great job explaining with examples.

Here's the Forbidden Journey:

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

...If you are a cheap bastard like me, my recommendation would be to stay off property, take an uber to the Waffle House near the Hard Rock Hotel, eat a great breakfast, then walk to the Hard Rock Hotel and into the park (safe for walking with kids)...

Same here. Probably went to the park maybe 8-10 times and never stayed on site. If memory serves me right, we just stayed at a hotel on Kirkman Rd. and walked to the park. Then we'd hit up a restaurant outside of the park at night sometimes for a nicer meal.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from mrclean:

...Ride The Movies... (I like to end or start with E.T. every time I go.... It might be outdated and needs a facelift but hope it NEVER GOES AWAY!) [quoted image]

ET has always been a nice change of pace after doing all the thrill rides. A little cheesy in some spots, but still fun. I always thought flying over the city was neat. Same with the animal stunt show, good place to rest the feet or get out of the sun. Sort of a 'filler' attraction.

#41 1 year ago

I mentioned earlier about Hogwarts Castle and the Christmas video Universal projects on it. Figured I'd post a YouTube about it. I haven't seen this in person (long overdue for a trip down there). It's pretty amazing what the Universal design team comes up with these days.

It's definitely a must watch if you're a fan.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Just got back from Disney (7 night stay) and spent 2 days at Universal. We go to Universal at least once a year, and it is awesome.
Definitely stop and have a beer at Moes if you are a Simpsons fan. They have a little asked for beer, called Duff Dry. It's a dark porter style, and delicious.
Also, almost every ride has a single rider lane. I don't get the Express Pass, just use Single Ride. Obviously if you want to ride together, it doesn't work, but I am typically the only one riding.
Lastly, Mummy, Rock and Roll Coaster (pick Rolling by Limp Bizkit), and Velocoaster were my favorite rides this time around. But the other virtual type rides (Spiderman, Transformers, etc...) are awesome too.

Anything ever go in the old Terminator attraction spot yet?

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

That is exactly what we were looking for very cool we will check it out!

Interactive (casts a spell) wand in the Harry Potter area.

Spoiler alert if you watch it, might just want to watch part of it. May take the fun out of it if you buy a wand...

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

As someone who frequents all the parks, here’s my 2 cents.
The state of WDW is just depressing these days. Not only the condition of the parks from an upkeep and maintenance perspective; but, from the ever increasing amount of micromanagement that is required to accomplish anything. Planning dining, planning park reservations, planning prepaid LLs, etc, etc. I can’t blame anyone from needing to take a break and change the routine.

Don't they have some sort of reservation queues, or maybe you just can't show up and buy tickets for the parks (i.e. you have to reserve a day)?

I tend to watch some of the theme park youtube channels and I saw where something like that was mentioned, but I never really watched a video specifically about that topic.

3 months later
#75 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Just got back from a week long Universal trip
We stayed at Cabana Bay in a family suite. The extra room was nice, there is a normal size bedroom with bathroom plus a couch 2 easy chairs a countertop with stool and kitchenette with microwave.
Resort was very family friendly. We have 2 girls 6 and 10 and it was perfect for them. Water slide at one pool, lazy River at the other one. Movies by the pool at night. Entertainment in the lobby every night, bowling alley at the resort. We have stayed at most of the Disney Resorts and I would say this one is similar to Caribbean Beach but with Pop Century theming although you do get a bigger room with the suite for cheaper than a regular room at Disney. Overall fun Resort we really enjoyed the walking path to the parks but it’s time for a refurbishment here nothing was in bad shape it just clearly wasn’t new or perfect condition or up to our usual Disney standard.
Since the Christmas trip we hated all the quick service food we got reservations this time and really enjoyed Cowfish in citywalk, Finnigans in Studios and Confisco in Islands. We got the girls wands and played the wand games. Quick tip, these all work after the park closes and no one is around so wait till then so you don’t have to wait in line. We got on Gringotts 3 times which we didn’t get to ride at Christmas and really enjoyed it, it’s the best screen/moving ride they have.
We ended the trip going to Epcot for one day and although we had fun at Universal Disney is still at the top by far with service, theming, rides and shows for us.

Was this a 2nd trip?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/universal-studios-florida?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.