Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mopar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1F4972E4-F00B-44CE-924F-ECFB3F3441DE (resized).jpeg
    79F0F5CE-BBC2-4494-B659-C30E6D86FAB6 (resized).jpeg
    E20C3ACA-83C6-42E3-A7CC-877192A2105C (resized).jpeg
    3909B4AE-80B2-4970-AA36-D2BA28BAA9BA (resized).jpeg
    D9CC55A6-FE23-41A7-AE35-10FBC68A70DC (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdapolito.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Just got a united Bowling alley
    Have gone thru the relay switches strike spare steppers and relay bank
    The player stepper too and cleaned the old style connectors
    Not sure these are called jones plugs , but you know what i mean
    Have not cleaned score reels yet
    But the pins wont retract when ball hits roll overs
    Wont reset either and the ball release gate wont function either
    It does score and proper pin relays trip in the relay bank when the roll overs are activated by the ball
    Frames advance as do players
    The lights over the pins light
    Any hints , is there a switch I'm over looking
    Thanks

#4 1 year ago

If i manually activate the rollovers the appropriate relays in the relay bank do energize but the pins do not go up
    The game does score though when the rollovers are activated also

#7 1 year ago

Ok ill check it out tomorrow
    And let you know
    Thanks

#8 1 year ago

Is this what you mean ?
    4 out of 10 of the pins units have a ground like this
    All black insulated wires
    Im going to clean these anyway
    As i had ground trouble before
    And these are the plugs from the pindeck
    Im going to check the connections and solder joints for each wire
    Again thanks for the help

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #10 1 year ago

Ok ill do that i cleaned all the black leads where they screw into the pin units hoping id get lucky but it didnt help
    Ill get back to it tonight and let you know
    might get a long wire and jump from a pin unit common wire to the female end of the plug inside the machine
    Also this common line wouldnt feed the solenoid that releases the balls too would it ?

Thanks again

#12 1 year ago

Ok if i detach a spring on the ball gate the balls go rt thru
    The balls get hung up a bit at the top of the ball lift when the ball hits the metal wheels on top but as i work it they seem to get better
    Now i jumped the black wire from a pin unit to the solder joint on the male end of the plug and look what i get the pins retract
    Yes !
    Thank you so much i think ill run another wire bypassing the black
    But the pins wont reset unless i press the top copper blade down in the reset motor

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #14 1 year ago

I was so keyed up at seeing those pins retract i didnt even look at the pin rest relay
    I though about it this morning on the way to work
    I’ll check it out and clean the wipers tonight
    And let you know what happens
    Ive had shuffle bowlers but these ball bowlers are really neat

#15 1 year ago

Ok tje pin reset relay does activate the pin reset motor
    I did clean the wipers on the score motor and the rivits made sure they were making good contact
    Still not resetting
    When i touch two of the copper blades on the switch motor together the relay is activated so the relay itself is good
    Could be another bad connection ?
    I tried to see what wires to try to jump from the reset relay to the jones plug but couldnt tell
    Or is there another possible cause
    Also when the score motor is in its resting position no rivits are in contact with any of the copper fingers,is this correct ? (See picture)
    Finally pins one and the three pin do not retract
    I used a jumper wire from pin one relay to pin 5 and when pin five was tripped by its rollover pin one went up also
    I did this for pin 3 to pin 8 relay and when tripped the wire immediately burned up
    Could it be a short in the pin three relay ?
    Again thanks for all the help
    I feel we are getting close

D9CC55A6-FE23-41A7-AE35-10FBC68A70DC (resized).jpegD9CC55A6-FE23-41A7-AE35-10FBC68A70DC (resized).jpeg
    #17 1 year ago

The pin reset relay does not energize when it should
    And when i close one of the switches on the pin reset relay (the ones located closest to the coil the relay does energize
    Not sure this helps but at least i know fhe relay is good
    I will look at the number one pin contacts again on the pin unit and number one relay in the relay bank
    And rhe coil on the number theee pin doesnt look burnt to me
    Ill double check the way i jumped it but im pretty sure i did it correctly
    Im might try to find the wires on the jones plug fhat run from the pin reset relay maybe another bad connection
    Also what is this for or where does it go
    The guy i bought this from said it came from the game

3909B4AE-80B2-4970-AA36-D2BA28BAA9BA (resized).jpeg3909B4AE-80B2-4970-AA36-D2BA28BAA9BA (resized).jpeg
    #19 1 year ago

Ok I did check to make sure those switches are closed and clean when the door is closed
    I also clipped the switches closed and still no reset
    So now i will try to use a wire to jump from the jones plug to the relay bypassing the existing grey white wire
    Im not at the game now
    But is it a grey white wire on the swtch closed by the coffin door also ?

#20 1 year ago

Never mind
    Dumb question ill check i out tonight after work
    Thanks

#22 1 year ago

Ok my nightly update
    Used a jumper wire from the pin reset relay to the male side of the jones plug and it resets!
    Initially it would reset once but the relays of the pins that retracted seemed to stay activated and wouldnt reset , the reset motor would run again and the pins would reset
    Now the pins reset once , the pins that were retracted dont reset ( you hear a buzzing i think from the pin coils )and the reset motor stops leaving those pins in the retracted position.frame advances and game goes on
    After the 10th frame the pins do reset and stay put in down position
    Also im thinking of running a jumper wire from pin1 and pin 3 coils to the jomes plug and see if that works
    What do you think
    Again thanks for all the help
    Also i found were that ball bumper goes and reattached it

#24 1 year ago

Ok lubricating the score motor worked like a charm
    I jumped the wire for the number one pin and that is working now
    I did the same for the 3 pin and the wire burned up , i think its a bad coil can you tell me the number of the coil so i can replace it
    And im posting some pics of the wiring of the credit button amd the coin mech
    This game has another switch wired to it , the credit button and coin mech do nothing
    Id like to get it to where at least the credit button works
    Thanks for all the great advice and help

1F4972E4-F00B-44CE-924F-ECFB3F3441DE (resized).jpeg1F4972E4-F00B-44CE-924F-ECFB3F3441DE (resized).jpeg79F0F5CE-BBC2-4494-B659-C30E6D86FAB6 (resized).jpeg79F0F5CE-BBC2-4494-B659-C30E6D86FAB6 (resized).jpegE20C3ACA-83C6-42E3-A7CC-877192A2105C (resized).jpegE20C3ACA-83C6-42E3-A7CC-877192A2105C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdapolito.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uniteds-bowling-alley-pins-wont-function-?tu=jdapolito and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.