(Topic ID: 132348)

United Tropicana roll down version?

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image-5_1.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

What is the difference between the rolldown and cabinet versions? I've been looking at it on IPDB and wondering why the rolldown version?

Do any Pinsiders here know more about this game and the different versions?

Bruce

#2 8 years ago

Normal cabinet uses a shooter. For a time it was considered to be more of a chance of luck (gambling) than rolling the ball up the glass to a specific area of the PF. United roll down games didn't use legs but rather it sat on an extended cabinet underneath.

Games with shooters were considered gambling devices for a few years. The answer was the roll down version.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

Normal cabinet uses a shooter. For a time it was considered to be more of a chance of luck (gambling) than rolling the ball up the glass to a specific area of the PF. United roll down games didn't use legs but rather it sat on an extended cabinet underneath.
    Games with shooters were considered gambling devices for a few years. The answer was the roll down version.

Thanks for the answer. It helps me understand the reason for the rolldown version. I don't think the "extended cabinet underneath" was used for payout mechanisms?
    It also must be a nightmare getting this cabinet with extended cabinet into your house or does it come apart?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Thanks for the answer. It helps me understand the reason for the rolldown version. I don't think the "extended cabinet underneath" was used for payout mechanisms?
    It also must be a nightmare getting this cabinet with extended cabinet into your house or does it come apart?

I haven't owned a rolldown myself, but I have seen them with legs so apparently they come apart.

BTW if you are looking for a schematic:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-1947-united-singapore-pinball-schematic-and-diagrams

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

I haven't owned a rolldown myself, but I have seen them with legs so apparently they come apart.

The rolldown version I see at ipdb doesn't look like it has legs and doesn't look like it comes apart? If not then I would get the non roll down version with legs.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?name=Tropicana&gtype=EM&mfgid=323&sortby=rating&searchtype=advanced

Thanks for the handy link to your schematic. I'll definitely need it if I get the Tropicana.

#6 8 years ago

had the normal cab version..once you get the hang on how to play these pre flipper games they are such a rush.

#7 8 years ago

I'll probably get the non rolldown version because it doesn't look like you can disassemble the cab on the rolldown version for transportation?

See photo.
    image-5 (1).jpgimage-5 (1).jpg

#9 8 years ago

If the machine gives you a ball to roll down the playfield glass. What stops some kid from just taking the ball? Or throwing the ball at the backglass. I guess kids were more respectable of stuff back in those days.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Two separate pieces, bolted together.

Thanks Nick. Sounds like it breaks down into three pieces, the backbox, upper and lower cabinets? Seems like it would be more cumbersome than the cab version transportation wise.

Darcy's comment makes me wonder how the ball gets up the playfield to roll down without a shooter?

#11 8 years ago

Yes, it is three pieces, upper/lower/head.

It definitely would be more difficult to transport. Typically the leg holes were either filled in, or just left exposed, but most cab conversions could be placed back on legs if needed.

Most roll downs (of this type) used the same kind of playfield that the shooter rod-equipped cousins used.

You can see the 'spoon' used to lift the ball. It lifts to a little pocket or similar that you can grab the ball. You'd roll the ball down a mid-glass where it would roll down a little ramp onto the playfield. You cannot reach into the playfield from the middle glass with your hands.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

You can see the 'spoon' used to lift the ball. It lifts to a little pocket or similar that you can grab the ball. You'd roll the ball down a mid-glass where it would roll down a little ramp onto the playfield. You cannot reach into the playfield from the middle glass with your hands.

Is there a video of this available that I can see? I searched rolldown and Tropicana rolldown on youtube but the search didn't seem to turn up any.

#13 8 years ago

Nope, not that I'm aware of - I can't find any rolldown videos.

Russ Jensen, the pinball historian, wrote about them when discussing what constitutes a pinball machine:

http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/russ_files/whatis.html

Also, the various images of the Tropicana rolldown on ipdb will show you what I'm talking about. The steel ball comes out directly above the spoon feeder into a pocket. You physically pick it up and roll it down the mid glass to the playfield. I'm sure for this game, they gave you the same 5 balls they would for the pinball version. Nothing stops you from stealing a ball, but then again, the game doesnt care.

These early games didn't have logic tied to the ball troughs. They were simply utilitarian items to temporarily hold the balls while you shot them. The balls land in an area above the trough covered by metal and released by the coin slide. Hope that helps!
    -Nick

#14 8 years ago

Nick. It does help! This is fascinating history and I'm not sure I agree with Russ that the plunger is what makes a pinball.

I wish I could see or try one in person. Maybe someday.

2 months later
    #15 8 years ago

I have a full video of my united Singapore rolldown but for some reason I can't load it on here. If you look at one of the pics you will see the ball sitting on a spoon once it's ejected. You can actually eject all the balls and when you grab the ball off the spoon the next one fills its place. The machine has to be perfectly level for the ball to roll down perfectly. Also it's almost impossible for you to nudge the ball since there is no legs. It's fun. I like how the ball kicks back into the game and the bonus is great. Not a top player but fun to have around.

I think it's a real pinball machine even though it doesn't have a plunger. Mid evil madness doesn't have a plunger is that not pinball?

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from GizzArd:

If you look at one of the pics you will see the ball sitting on a spoon once it's ejected. You can actually eject all the balls and when you grab the ball off the spoon the next one fills its place.

This is fascinating! Maybe you can upload your video to Youtube and link it here?

Thanks GizzArd. Those are great photos of your Singapore.

Bruce

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-tropicana-roll-down-version and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.