(Topic ID: 229487)

United Super Shuffle scoring issues. Please help.

By CMarkum

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0670 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0664 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0665 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0663 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0662 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0660 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0668 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0667 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0658 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0657 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I recently purchased a United Super Shuffle 6 player machine. Very nice shape, just had scoring issues. I have taken all scoring reels apart and soaked the 67 year old shellac off of them. Everything is now working great...almost.

On player #1, 1-9 does not register. The other reels on player 1 work fine. I can hear the wheel working under the alley, but it will not register at the reel. I have switched out the coil with a good one, still no score. I attached an led to the coil on the 1-9 reel and when it should be registering points I get a very weak light (on the other coils I get a very bright light). Any ideas would be appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Do you have a schematic? You'll have to find the relay or switch contact that energizes the 0-9 coil. A schematic will help.

#3 5 years ago

I do have a schematic, but cannot identify where it would only impact player 1 and not all players. My schematic also indicates the wire colors are likely not accurate as there was a wire shortage at the time of manufacture.

#4 5 years ago

Rome N.Y. Not so far away..
    Okay, I take it that the 1st Player 0-9 score reel resets okay.
    You might want to inspect the wires (solder joints) on the Player-
    Step-Up Unit. Also, I'm thinking the Player-Step-Up may have the
    spring loaded wipers. If so, you'll want to make sure that none of
    those spring loaded (known as snowshoe wipers) aren't a little sticky
    and they are moving freely.
    BTW: Is your machine a 2 Player machine? (T)

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the input. Will let you know if I can track it down.

This is a 6 player machine.

#6 5 years ago

Mopar, I cleaned and inspected player step up unit and found no detached wires, weak connections, etc. Also, yes, if I manually set the 0-9 reel on player one it will rest to 0 when a new game is started. Here are a few pics of the machine. Please see the note attached to the motor under the play field. Not sure what the tech meant 33 years ago about adjusting, or if it would apply when only 1 of the 6 scores is faulting.
    IMG_0657 (resized).jpgIMG_0657 (resized).jpgIMG_0658 (resized).jpgIMG_0658 (resized).jpgIMG_0659 (resized).jpgIMG_0659 (resized).jpgIMG_0667 (resized).jpgIMG_0667 (resized).jpgIMG_0668 (resized).jpgIMG_0668 (resized).jpgIMG_0660 (resized).jpgIMG_0660 (resized).jpgIMG_0662 (resized).jpgIMG_0662 (resized).jpgIMG_0663 (resized).jpgIMG_0663 (resized).jpgIMG_0665 (resized).jpgIMG_0665 (resized).jpgIMG_0664 (resized).jpgIMG_0664 (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago

Yes, your machine looks to be from the early 50s. Looks like it has the 6" pins, so the Player-Step-Up wouldn't
    have the spring loaded wipers. I'm not sure what that added note means, but probably best to just ignore and
    hopefully the machine is in its natural physical state..
    After firing up the machine, you can manual activate the 0-9 Score Relay to energize the 0-9 score reel. If I
    remember correctly, I don't think each individual player's score reels have separate circuits going through the
    plugins', but you can try re-seated them.
    Where it does separate the circuits to the players is in the Player-Step-Up-Unit. If all wires seem fine on the
    1st players 0-9 score reel and on the P-S-U-U- (Player-Step-Up-Unit) and the wiper is making good connection
    on the P-S-U-U's wiper board, you might want to inspect the backside of the wiper board to make sure all
    connections look good there, especially the ones where the wiper blades are on the rivets when it's in the 1st
    player's step-up position. If all fails, then jumping wires would be the next thing to do..
    I actually plan on going to Canastoda, but not until Spring. But for now, I would maybe consentrate a little more
    on the P-S-U-U, and the circuitry wiring from the 1st player's 0-9 score reel to the P-S-U-U-..

#8 5 years ago

Found it. Top left, shared yellow line. Checked continuity from rivets to line and found dead one. Fixed the issue, and I made a bunch more putting the PSUU back together, but seems all adjusted now. Thanks a lot.

IMG_0670 (resized).jpgIMG_0670 (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago

Glad you found it!
    It's those type of problems that aren't on the schematics that can be the tricky ones..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-super-shuffle-scoring-issues-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.