3C2ABAE0-E569-4494-8F7B-F809D7C66641 (resized).jpeg
43F328AE-120C-4444-889F-22CCBAAC0BBB (resized).jpeg
F5B5F3EF-B0B6-4577-B27D-BF7B8F86488E (resized).jpeg
4FCCA939-428A-4458-BCF4-BEF45437E6A0 (resized).jpeg
29FD95E4-5A26-4C28-83B7-AB1F46F0C0F8 (resized).jpeg
7C1AD356-B6AE-46D0-8400-974592501F11 (resized).jpeg
Seranade start relay (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Need a little help from the pinball wizards here. I have a 1948 United Paradise that I have been cleaning up to try and get started for the first time in 70ish years.

My first question is how do I start this thing? I have gone through all the switches and adjusted any that were in need. I have cleaned the stepper units, coil sleeves (metal) and plungers. When plugged in, pressing the “reset” button on the front of the machine does nothing. I have good voltage through the fuse and at the transformer. If I press the lock relay, it holds itself on and a few lights turn on at the backbox. I have added credits to the credit counter, so it has credits.

Second question is how does the coin mech work? If I place a coin in it and slide it in, it gets stuck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I have the schematic but dont really understand how to read it.

Jason

#2 2 years ago

It'll be hard to speculate without a schematic. Here's part of the schematic for Seranade made the same year which might be similar.
Seranade start relay (resized).jpgSeranade start relay (resized).jpg
The Reset button should fire the Start relay I think using the path in red which in turn will close the switch on the left and fire the two Reset solenoids and the meter. Alternatively I think the coin slide might close the R.P. push button which would also fire the Reset solenoids and meter.

The coin slide might have a ratcheting mechanism along one side that clicks as the pusher is being pushed in. Once the pusher has been pushed in far enough the ratchet should release and allow the pusher to return back to its starting position. The entire mechanism probably pushes a lever or closes a switch on the bottom of the playfield.

United schematics from this era are pretty uncommon. Please consider getting it scanned at a big box office supply store and sending it to IPDB.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It'll be hard to speculate without a schematic. Here's part of the schematic for Seranade made the same year which might be similar.
[quoted image]
The Reset button should fire the Start relay I think using the path in red which in turn will close the switch on the left and fire the two Reset solenoids and the meter. Alternatively I think the coin slide might close the R.P. push button which would also fire the Reset solenoids and meter.
The coin slide might have a ratcheting mechanism along one side that clicks as the pusher is being pushed in. Once the pusher has been pushed in far enough the ratchet should release and allow the pusher to return back to its starting position. The entire mechanism probably pushes a lever or closes a switch on the bottom of the playfield.
United schematics from this era are pretty uncommon. Please consider getting it scanned at a big box office supply store and sending it to IPDB.
/Mark

I submitted a copy of United Serenade schematic early this year and is on the site. We need more United pin schematics though, I believe IPDB only has this one.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]
/Mark

Thanks Mark.

Im not sure I can scan them and upload the schematics to IPDB. The rights are owned by PBR, which is where I got them. Pretty lucky they had them honestly. I grabbed some pics of the schematics and attached them here.

As of right now, when I plug the machine in, the tilt relay engages, opening 2 switches and closing 1. Manually engaging the lock relay lights the backglass display lights and the tilt light. If I press the reset button on the front, nothing happens. If I press the button on the bottom of the cab, the lock relay stops holding itself on. If I manually reset the tilt relay, the dead bumper lights turn on (most of them) as well as the 30,000 and 900,000 lights on the backglass.

Hopefully the pics are half legible.

29FD95E4-5A26-4C28-83B7-AB1F46F0C0F8 (resized).jpeg29FD95E4-5A26-4C28-83B7-AB1F46F0C0F8 (resized).jpeg3C2ABAE0-E569-4494-8F7B-F809D7C66641 (resized).jpeg3C2ABAE0-E569-4494-8F7B-F809D7C66641 (resized).jpeg43F328AE-120C-4444-889F-22CCBAAC0BBB (resized).jpeg43F328AE-120C-4444-889F-22CCBAAC0BBB (resized).jpeg4FCCA939-428A-4458-BCF4-BEF45437E6A0 (resized).jpeg4FCCA939-428A-4458-BCF4-BEF45437E6A0 (resized).jpeg7C1AD356-B6AE-46D0-8400-974592501F11 (resized).jpeg7C1AD356-B6AE-46D0-8400-974592501F11 (resized).jpegF5B5F3EF-B0B6-4577-B27D-BF7B8F86488E (resized).jpegF5B5F3EF-B0B6-4577-B27D-BF7B8F86488E (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago

What happens if you manually activate the Start relay? If the game makes progress I'd figure out why the Start relay won't fire.
Paradise start relay (resized).jpgParadise start relay (resized).jpg
Jumpering around switches or pairs of switches in this circuit should help you determine which switches if any aren't closing.

#6 2 years ago

Manually activating the Start Relay causes the Bonus Reset coil to lock on at the Bonus Unit. I believe the ball release gate also opens. Its hard to tell though cause I have the playfield vertical.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-paradise-help?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.