(Topic ID: 271348)

United Monaco Scoring Problems (and others)

By troxel

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Got a Monaco a couple years back and would play but doesn't score correctly (and maybe some other features don't work). It has sat for the last two years and would like to get it up and running correctly. I haven't worked on a bingo machine before, but am familiar with EM pinballs.

I can get 3, 4, or 5 in a row and sometimes will score right, sometimes doesn't score at all, and other times will only give a few replays instead of the full count.

I have the schematics and manual, but not sure where to start.

#2 3 years ago

Monaco is a late enough game that it has internals similar to a Bally game. As such, there are a few relays that will chatter away while it finds balls in various holes during the search (which happens continuously).

If you're not hearing the chatter after the 5th ball is shot, the payout will never happen.

If you are hearing the chatter, then next I would look at the search disc. In United terms, this is called the Scan disc. It needs to be clean, and the wipers that ride in the slip ring grooves may need cleaning as well.

Also check the alignment of the fingers on the scan disc, as they need to sweep a column of rivets at almost the same time in order to grab and hold.

Next, there is a search index relay (Bally term) that exists under the edge of the control unit near the Scan disc. This needs to engage and grab the gear to hold the scan disc in place during a payout. Finally, there is a replay cams index coil (again, a Bally term) to the left of the search index, that will engage and allow the portion of the control unit that pays games to turn, racking up credits.

If you have some pay but not others, it is most likely a dirty scan disc. Take a look there first and hopefully the above sheds some light on the process.

If none are paying... then there is likely a timing/ball count issue.

#3 3 years ago

got time for lots of highest possible resolution pictures of everything (playfield, backglass, cabinet front/sides, internals)?

monaco has some terminology differences to the bally games, but what you care about for payout is the area on the schem around D14. You need the scan index coil to power and stay powered for the duration of the payout.

the way it works is:
1] scan disc wipers are spinning around and causing the row relays to power as balls are detected in holes (chatter in BCP post above)

2] if 3+ adjacent row relays power at the same time and the game has not previously paid to the score level for that detected win, the scan index coil is powered and stops the scan wipers on the rivets

3] the replay index coil is powered and pulses on the replay cams step up the replay register (add credits) and step up either the card replay control unit or the super card replay control unit, depending on the win and whether those wins score separately (separate score feature enabled)

4] when the stepping replay control unit steps far enough - determined by the position of the score S.U. unit - the circuit to the scan index coil is broken, which also breaks the adding credits circuit.

one handy diagnostic is to set up a win and if it pays anything, manually reset the appropriate replay control unit. It should win detect and pay again. If you are getting short pays and suspect flaky connections on the replay control unit wiper->rivet interface, doing that can give you different pays. You can also wiggle the wipers and see if pay continues.

as BCP said, any cruddy connection on stepper units or the scan discs will bite you, so clean all the rivets.

assuming at least some of the stepper units are snowshoe style - the peg wipers with springs - check and see of the wipers have grooved or cut through the rivets. Getting a decent connection between the wiper pegs and the sleeves is a hassle. Sometimes people soldered flexible braided wire - kinda like solder wick - between the tops of the appropriate pegs so they didn't rely on the sleeve connection. I've had the best luck removing the pegs and cleaning the edges and sleeved hole with a wire wheel.

finally, note there's different paths thru the row relay switches depending on which holes the balls are in. If you find some numbers on a line pay right but others don't, could be a poor switch on one of the row relays or the wiper->rivet connections on the scan disc.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks, guys! Definitely gave me some good information and starting point to look. It will be a bit before I get back to it, but excited to see if I can get it working correctly.

baldtwit I would be happy to do a photoshoot of the machine. I don't know if I can do the best job, but let me know exactly what you are after, and I will try.

1 week later
#5 3 years ago

if you hover over the links on entries in the red "resources" box on this page:
http://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/united/starlet/

that'll give an idea of what I like to post on the site. The most important are:

1] entire backglass
2] entire playfield
3] entire back door (inside)
4] entire inside of head
5] cabinet front/angle showing rail buttons if any
6] cabinet/head front/sides

the bottom of the playfield and mech side of the coin door have been handy to have.

Pics of the reflex unit showing the wipers and wiring, and the same for the mixers will help to see if it's the same as starlet - which has diagrams made and posted at the above link.

the main goal of the internal pictures it to be able to read the labels so when people are missing them or asking for help, others can identify the parts.

pics can be emailed directly to [email protected] or if there's lots and you stick them on a file sharing site, email the details there.

thanks,
phil

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-monaco-scoring-problems-and-others?hl=baldtwit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.