(Topic ID: 240940)

United Bowling Alley Restoration Attempt: Help Gladly Accepted!

By RonSS

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 382 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jaymach1
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095203 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095140 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095157 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095126 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095136 (resized).jpg
    20190826_231444 (resized).jpg
    20191013_095405 (resized).jpg
    20191009_203729 (resized).jpg
    20191009_202843 (resized).jpg
    4BEF9F9C-F98C-465C-859C-8F29E1514306 (resized).jpeg
    0051E014-0444-4879-83E3-8EB95361AB63 (resized).jpeg
    34D52B79-BD53-49CA-AD62-C8F256295264 (resized).jpeg
    20191008_173750 (resized).jpg
    20191007_233305 (resized).jpg
    There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from MANTO1975:

is it very hard to separate the lane into two sections and what is involved.

When separating the lanes sections, there should be a board (like a 1 X 4) screwed up underneath the formica at
    the seam to join them together. It's best to take the 4 screws out of the front section. Best to do this first before
    taking out the 2 long jointing bolts..
    I know Ron mentioned the ball lift box separates, but to be truthful, it's not normal for the ball lift section to separate from
    the back lane section. I've actually seen it where it's not only screwed, but also glued on. Years back, I had to change
    one out, and it was a bitch. Had to pry it apart. I always leave the ball lift box and rear lane section as one..
    14 footers are actually easier to move than 11 footers. The longest piece after apart is 8 ft.
    When United first made the 14 footers, they made them one piece and they were not easy to transport to say the least.
    I had moved one before. Shortly after production, Vendors must have complained, and then United made the 14 footers a
    split alley. You don't see them often, but there are a few of the early one piece 14 ft. lane sections out there..

#352 4 years ago

Mopar, thank you, I forgot about the other board. I don't believe mine had it, although Jay should check the scrap wood pile I gave him.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Mopar, thank you, I forgot about the other board. I don't believe mine had it, although Jay should check the scrap wood pile I gave him.

Yours had the lane connector, it was in the "scrap" pile you gave me. Lol

#354 4 years ago
    20191009_202843 (resized).jpg20191009_202843 (resized).jpg
    #355 4 years ago

Hey, did you get that hinge issue resolved?

#356 4 years ago

I broke down the ball lift motor tonight. I could barely turn the pully by hand. One of the 3 gears is seated in the back half (pully side) of the aluminum case and spins in the hole of the case. It was not spinning very easily. I popped the gear shaft out and polished the shaft and the hole it sits in. Then lightly greased the shafts and filled the case with oil. I assumed there was supposed to be oil in there since it had a fill hole on the side and a gasket between the 2 pieces of the case. Just played 5 games back to back and everything worked great. Just need to finish up some small stuff and do the stencils. I'm pretty psyched though.

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Hey, did you get that hinge issue resolved?

Yes all the hinges are good and the cabinet straightened and reinforced.

#358 4 years ago

Here's the culprit. Would barely turn where it was seated in the case.

20191009_203729 (resized).jpg20191009_203729 (resized).jpg
    #359 4 years ago

Weird that it played fine for a while then acted up. Heat/friction or gear positioning off?

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Weird that it played fine for a while then acted up. Heat/friction or gear positioning off?

It was super tight and you could barely turn it by hand. Couple that with some heat after the motor ran for a while and slowly ground to a stop.

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaymach1:

I broke down the ball lift motor tonight. I could barely turn the pully by hand. One of the 3 gears is seated in the back half (pully side) of the aluminum case and spins in the hole of the case. It was not spinning very easily. I popped the gear shaft out and polished the shaft and the hole it sits in. Then lightly greased the shafts and filled the case with oil. I assumed there was supposed to be oil in there since it had a fill hole on the side and a gasket between the 2 pieces of the case. Just played 5 games back to back and everything worked great. Just need to finish up some small stuff and do the stencils. I'm pretty psyched though.

Nice work!

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Congrats on your purchase. In seeing your photo I'm not 100% sure that the lane does separate (I hope it does for easier moving). From the photos that really doesn't look all that bad.
    There is also a FB group for bowlers, shuffles, & skeeball machines.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1829056463775012/

Great, thanks very much for the info.

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

When separating the lanes sections, there should be a board (like a 1 X 4) screwed up underneath the formica at
    the seam to join them together. It's best to take the 4 screws out of the front section. Best to do this first before
    taking out the 2 long jointing bolts..
    I know Ron mentioned the ball lift box separates, but to be truthful, it's not normal for the ball lift section to separate from
    the back lane section. I've actually seen it where it's not only screwed, but also glued on. Years back, I had to change
    one out, and it was a bitch. Had to pry it apart. I always leave the ball lift box and rear lane section as one..
    14 footers are actually easier to move than 11 footers. The longest piece after apart is 8 ft.
    When United first made the 14 footers, they made them one piece and they were not easy to transport to say the least.
    I had moved one before. Shortly after production, Vendors must have complained, and then United made the 14 footers a
    split alley. You don't see them often, but there are a few of the early one piece 14 ft. lane sections out there..

Thanks Mopar, great information, the guy that I have purchased it from measured it from the back to the front and he said that it was 14 feet, so does that mean it is classed as a 14 foot machine? so maybe this one is a full one piece machine by looking at the photos, do you know how heavy it would be? could 4 adult men lift it onto a car trailer?
    cheers
    Trevor

#364 4 years ago

Thanks for all the information everyone.
    cheers

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from MANTO1975:

could 4 adult men lift it onto a car trailer?

Because of the ball lift box, the rear of the lane section is quite heavy, but for sure,
    you "Do Not" want to take of the ball lift box. You want to leave it as one piece.
    Even a 14 ft. "non-split" alley, four guys can easily enough lift and move the lane section
    once the head is off..
    Once you pick it up, you may want to start its own thread..

#366 4 years ago

Without the ball lift box, I and a friend carried the bug lane section. It definitely isn't light, but 4 guys would be a cake walk.

If it's the full 14 feet, definitely a 4 man job. Could probably get away with 3 people.

Jay, I'm excited to see this finished up! You do such great work!

#367 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Without the ball lift box, I and a friend carried the bug lane section. It definitely isn't light, but 4 guys would be a cake walk.
    If it's the full 14 feet, definitely a 4 man job. Could probably get away with 3 people.
    Jay, I'm excited to see this finished up! You do such great work!

Thanks Ron, much appreciated. Just waiting on Gary to cut out my stencils. Lol

#368 4 years ago

I decided to get rid of the big switch stack below the lane and replace it with a toggle switch setup. Makes it way easier for servicing the game. Every time I had a problem it was always in the back of my head that it could be that switch stack. No more. First toggle is for the service light, middle is for the pin reset motor, and the 3rd is the ball lift motor. A before and after.

20190826_231444 (resized).jpg20190826_231444 (resized).jpg20191013_095405 (resized).jpg20191013_095405 (resized).jpg
    #369 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaymach1:

I decided to get rid of the big switch stack below the lane and replace it with a toggle switch setup. Makes it way easier for servicing the game. Every time I had a problem it was always in the back of my head that it could be that switch stack. No more. First toggle is for the service light, middle is for the pin reset motor, and the 3rd is the ball lift motor. A before and after.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice solution

3 weeks later
    #370 4 years ago

Aright I have a question for you Mopar.

Recently my big ball bowler when playing two player the 2 player only gets one throw and then goes back to player 1.. What should I be inspecting?

Model-Chicago Coin 16ft Super Sonic

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Recently my big ball bowler when playing two player the 2 player only gets one throw and then goes back to player 1

Let me guess. This is a riddle and the second player gets nothing but strikes (haha)..
    Anyways yes, this one's a little different. When playing all players, it's only the #2 Player that
    gets only one shot (of course without a strike being made)?..
    I don't see how it could be in the Player Step Up. The only thing seperating the players is the
    Strike/Spare Step Ups. It doesn't sound like the 1-10 Relay (in the Bank) is energizing, but sounds
    like the score motor is making a complete revolution instead of stopping 1/4 way in the 1st position..
    I'd maybe play all 6 Players a couple times to make certain it only happens with the 2nd Player.
    If so, I'd try taking off the 2nd Player's Strike/Spare Step Up wiper and check then if it gives a 2nd shot,
    but I would think chances are it happens to other players and the problem is in the 1st or 2nd Shot Relay
    in the Relay Bank..

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Let me guess. This is a riddle and the second player gets nothing but strikes (haha)..
    Anyways yes, this one's a little different. When playing all players, it's only the #2 Player that
    gets only one shot (of course without a strike being made)?..
    I don't see how it could be in the Player Step Up. The only thing seperating the players is the
    Strike/Spare Step Ups. It doesn't sound like the 1-10 Relay (in the Bank) is energizing, but sounds
    like the score motor is making a complete revolution instead of stopping 1/4 way in the 1st position..
    I'd maybe play all 6 Players a couple times to make certain it only happens with the 2nd Player.
    If so, I'd try taking off the 2nd Player's Strike/Spare Step Up wiper and check then if it gives a 2nd shot,
    but I would think chances are it happens to other players and the problem is in the 1st or 2nd Shot Relay
    in the Relay Bank..

Yes, I played all six players and it also sometimes happens to the other players once in awhile too. Basically when you throw the ball once it skips the second ball and moves to the next player.

When you play single player it works just fine..

#373 4 years ago

That's strange that it doesn't happen when playing a single player. I know some don't believe
    in coincidences, but my guess would be that either the 1st or 2nd Shot Relay has a magnetic
    relay coil plate, or the latch is worn. I remembering having worn plastics (what the switches
    stick in) and caused it not to latch, or at least not latch all the time. I'm guessing that it is a
    mechanical problem in the 1st or 2nd Shot Relay. I would carefully inspect those two Relays.
    If they seem to be latching solidly, I'd say it has a magnetic relay plate. By placing a small piece of
    paper between the coil(s) and plate(s) would answer if that is the issue..

1 week later
    #374 4 years ago

Well, between Ron and I it was a long road to get to this point but I can finally say the restoration is complete(although I'll probably get a new backglass in the near future). I changed up the artwork slightly because the orange and blue pins kind of drove me crazy.

20191117_095126 (resized).jpg20191117_095126 (resized).jpg20191117_095136 (resized).jpg20191117_095136 (resized).jpg20191117_095140 (resized).jpg20191117_095140 (resized).jpg20191117_095157 (resized).jpg20191117_095157 (resized).jpg20191117_095203 (resized).jpg20191117_095203 (resized).jpg20191117_095213 (resized).jpg20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    #375 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaymach1:

Well, between Ron and I it was a long road to get to this point but I can finally say the restoration is complete(although I'll probably get a new backglass in the near future). I changed up the artwork slightly because the orange and blue pins kind of drove me crazy.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!

#378 4 years ago

A bit of cool info thanks to Mopar. A 1956 United Bowling alley has a red trimmed lane, if it was made in 57 it has brown trim. So this is actually a 57! Always amazed by Mopars knowledge of these games.

#379 4 years ago

Jay, looks great! I'm so happy you could get this gem sparkling again.

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaymach1:

if it was made in 57 it has brown trim.

And have a notion it extended into 1958, but nothing confirmed..
    Yes, Jason picked up on this Quick! Good Job..
    Now your Daughter has another classic to enjoy..

#381 4 years ago

Thanks for posting that video man, game looks so awesome

#382 4 years ago

Thanks for following guys, it was a fun project

There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-bowling-alley-restoration-attempt-help-gladly-accepted/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.