(Topic ID: 240940)

United Bowling Alley Restoration Attempt: Help Gladly Accepted!

By RonSS

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 382 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jaymach1
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095203 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095140 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095157 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095126 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095136 (resized).jpg
    20190826_231444 (resized).jpg
    20191013_095405 (resized).jpg
    20191009_203729 (resized).jpg
    20191009_202843 (resized).jpg
    4BEF9F9C-F98C-465C-859C-8F29E1514306 (resized).jpeg
    0051E014-0444-4879-83E3-8EB95361AB63 (resized).jpeg
    34D52B79-BD53-49CA-AD62-C8F256295264 (resized).jpeg
    20191008_173750 (resized).jpg
    20191007_233305 (resized).jpg
    There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
    #251 4 years ago

Never got to it. Our midday plans got rearranged by traffic. I shifted gears, and now I'm just not very motivated.

Tomorrow is out too. So maybe Monday.

Bought some plasti-dip though, so I'll be removing that lift belt at some point soon. Yay, more things to do...

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Never got to it. Our midday plans got rearranged by traffic. I shifted gears, and now I'm just not very motivated.
    Tomorrow is out too. So maybe Monday.
    Bought some plasti-dip though, so I'll be removing that lift belt at some point soon. Yay, more things to do...

I hear you life gets in the way all the time. Not sure I will get to mine at all today either. Keep the faith you are way over the hump now and almost have that bad boy 100%..

#253 4 years ago

Working on some plasti-dip at the moment.

0812191007_HDR (resized).jpg0812191007_HDR (resized).jpg
    #254 4 years ago

Gotta say, a larger opening would have been nice.

#255 4 years ago

2 coats on 3 units.

I think I'm high,,,

0812191054 (resized).jpg0812191054 (resized).jpg
    #256 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Gotta say, a larger opening would have been nice.

I always pour it into a bigger tin can.

#257 4 years ago

That makes sense.

#258 4 years ago

Looks slick

#259 4 years ago

Well that definitely eill be a major improvement

#260 4 years ago

I'll be making a back door today. Am I correct to assume there is no padding on this 1956 model?

#261 4 years ago

Your dipped lift arms look fabulous! My 58 United bowler back is not padded.
    Jim

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from mojonitro:

Your dipped lift arms look fabulous! My 58 United bowler back is not padded.
    Jim

Thanks! On both accounts

#263 4 years ago

Nice delivery today.

0813191528 (resized).jpg0813191528 (resized).jpg
    #264 4 years ago

Ok, so I'm still getting stuck right here. It's within the lift cab, and seems to be the two large wheels on either side.

It looks as though the belt isn't high enough? How would I adjust that?

0813191634 (resized).jpg0813191634 (resized).jpg0813191636 (resized).jpg0813191636 (resized).jpg0813191638 (resized).jpg0813191638 (resized).jpg
    #265 4 years ago

Done for the day.

Positive take away:
    Both back doors cut, routed, sanded, stained on inside and edges.

Fixed a previous mistake hindering a wire pass through.

Got some balls!

Help still needed with ball return.
    Thinking I may need to lower the guide wheels, but I'll take suggestions first.

#266 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

How would I adjust that?

If able, bend the left wheel inward so they're not so far apart.
    I have bent the ball lift arms on the belt closer together so I was able
    to squeeze the wheels closer together..
    And yes you're right. If it was made so the ball went a little higher, it would
    make a difference. That's one of the things I like better about the Ballys..

#267 4 years ago

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

#268 4 years ago

Mopar, genius!

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Mopar, genius!

Hey wait a minute those don't look like brand new shiny balls!

Great work Ron that's gotta feel damn good.

#270 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm debating plasti-dipping the wheel mech. I don't want to make the issue reoccur, but I would also like those balls to stay shiny and nick free.

I'm thrilled right now though. Here's my short list:

* Pin deck lighting still dim
    * Cabinet still not closing properly
    * Repair/replace a few rollovers
    * Repair/construct pin hood

#271 4 years ago

Hmm, interesting. Your ball return is pretty fast and the balls hit hard at the end. Are they riding on wood the whole way? On mine they come up off the wood channel and ride up on those two rods and slow way down before they hit (saves small fingers, too!) When I got the game somebody had placed big spacers under the screws that hold the rods so it spaced them out and the balls did what yours appear to be doing. I took the spacers out.

#272 4 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

Hmm, interesting. Your ball return is pretty fast and the balls hit hard at the end. Are they riding on wood the whole way? On mine they come up off the wood channel and ride up on those two rods and slow way down before they hit (saves small fingers, too!) When I got the game somebody had placed big spacers under the screws that hold the rods so it spaced them out and the balls did what yours appear to be doing. I took the spacers out.

I'll check it out. I'm using field hockey balls or something right now in that vid. When I use the new balls I'll see if the result is the same.

Thanks for the observation!

#273 4 years ago

Having some roll over fun today!

First one (smaller than these) turned out "OK". Hoping the larger ones are easier.

0815191344 (resized).jpg0815191344 (resized).jpg0815191346 (resized).jpg0815191346 (resized).jpg
    #274 4 years ago

Oh so close! Just needed another inch. Lesson learned.

0815191402 (resized).jpg0815191402 (resized).jpg
    #275 4 years ago

Marcos offers a wire bending jig that works pretty well. Also has stainless piano wire too...

#276 4 years ago

No beauty, but hopefully it'll work.

Irish Spring, just in case any mice want a shower.

0815191418 (resized).jpg0815191418 (resized).jpg
    #277 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Marcos offers a wire bending jig that works pretty well. Also has stainless piano wire too...

Why do that when I can pinch my fingers with pliers?

#278 4 years ago

End result. I'm ok with the 2 hand made rollovers.

0815191523 (resized).jpg0815191523 (resized).jpg
    #279 4 years ago

St. Louis Ball Bowlers sells replacement lane triggers.

#280 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlerguy:

St. Louis Ball Bowlers sells replacement lane triggers.

Are suggesting mine look like crap?

#281 4 years ago

Nope, but yours are not "Spring Steel". When the ball hits those triggers, it will bend them and might make it stick down, this will cause your game to keep running through all 10 frames until the triggers are lifted back up and rebent. Also it looks like from the picture you have several other triggers that are bent to one side that maybe close to sticking, may want to see if you can adjust those or replace.

#282 4 years ago

Ahhh, good eye! And info!

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Ahhh, good eye! And info!

Great work today Ron. You gotta crawl before you can walk right?

#284 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Great work today Ron. You gotta crawl before you can walk right?

Thanks man. Doing so many new things (for me anyway) is pretty cool. I don't always get them right, but I'm trying!

#285 4 years ago

For the record, I am not above dumpster diving.

Thank you person throwing away a vacuum cleaner!

0817191316 (resized).jpg0817191316 (resized).jpg
    #286 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Thank you person throwing away a vacuum cleaner![quoted image]

Damn. I am a proudly a low end pin man & have never gone that far. Excellent!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-creed-of-the-low-end-pin-man-/page/5#post-4973917

#287 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Thank you person throwing away a vacuum cleaner![quoted image]

Nothing at all wrong with that Ron. Hell we got a new pool pump the other day so I cut off the cord of the old one to install on my shuffle alley. Sure as hell isn't anything wrong with saving a couple bucks and repurposing something.

20190818_073633 (resized).jpg20190818_073633 (resized).jpg
    #288 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Nothing at all wrong with that Ron. Hell we got a new pool pump the other day so I cut off the cord of the old one to install on my shuffle alley. Sure as hell isn't anything wrong with saving a couple bucks and repurposing something.[quoted image]

Hey Ron what did you do with the 3rd wire that is in that new power cord? The old one only has the 2 wires so wasn't clear what to do with it?

#289 4 years ago

Turns out the new one only has 2 prongs. So I lucked out.

I've read you can take the 3rd prong out, or connect the ground to a "ground" in the cabinet, but as of now this process is above my pay grade.

Do a search, I've found it before, just can't remember where.

Maybe someone here can post a link.

#290 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Turns out the new one only has 2 prongs. So I lucked out.
    I've read you can take the 3rd prong out, or connect the ground to a "ground" in the cabinet, but as of now this process is above my pay grade.
    Do a search, I've found it before, just can't remember where.
    Maybe someone here can post a link.

Attach the ground wire to the frame of the transformer. You could use a ring terminal that costs 50 cents and undo one of the screws holding down the transformer and put it under the screw or just solder it. Some guys are die hard purists and will stick with two prong cords. I could care less either way as long as it’s safe.

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index3.htm#power
    5BDCE8CC-AC85-4CC0-ADF4-A25D1FCC8533 (resized).jpeg5BDCE8CC-AC85-4CC0-ADF4-A25D1FCC8533 (resized).jpeg

#291 4 years ago

Ok, so it was tough to follow the power line back, but I "think" I've got it.

Black "hot" wire to 115v fuse.
    White "neutral" to the receptacle in the coffin.

I just twisted the wires on to test. Powered up, no smoke, everything seems to work as before, or better.

I snipped the original power cord where the PO had spliced with a "new" cord. I wire nutted and taped that. (Yes, that's electrical tape)

I left all other wires attached as I'm not certain which runs to the switch, and from where. I'm trying to make it better, not create new issues at the moment.

Bowler gods, Any thoughts on my black/white wire locations before I solder?

0819191024 (resized).jpg0819191024 (resized).jpg0819191032 (resized).jpg0819191032 (resized).jpg
    #292 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Ok, so it was tough to follow the power line back, but I "think" I've got it.
    Black "hot" wire to 115v fuse.
    White "neutral" to the receptacle in the coffin.
    I just twisted the wires on to test. Powered up, no smoke, everything seems to work as before, or better.
    I snipped the original power cord where the PO had spliced with a "new" cord. I wire nutted and taped that. (Yes, that's electrical tape)
    I left all other wires attached as I'm not certain which runs to the switch, and from where. I'm trying to make it better, not create new issues at the moment.
    Bowler gods, Any thoughts on my black/white wire locations before I solder?[quoted image][quoted image]

The switch will just be"interrupting" the hot(black). Just follow the switch wires back and then you can interrupt them. Not too difficult.

#293 4 years ago

Does it look as though I've got black and white correct?

#294 4 years ago

here is another explanation with pictures:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Replacing_a_Power_Cord

The hot side of your old cord would have been smooth whereas the ribbed is neutral so just follow it back from there and add the ground

#295 4 years ago

Ron, there's no polarity, so by rights it doesn't matter, but the wire with the lines
    running length ways with the wire goes to the receptacle.
    The wire that's plain (no lines) goes to the 115V fuse..
    The ground can be left alone, or can be attached to one of the Transformer's
    mounting bolts..
    Any other questions, shoot me an email, then I'll post here..

#296 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone!

#297 4 years ago

We'll, it is with sadness that I announce the end of this project thread.

I have been steadily making progress and learning, but have decided it is time to pass the torch.

Another Pinsider will be finishing this puppy up, and far better I am certain than I would have done, which actually makes me pretty happy.

It's time for me to get back a few hours and pull my Jeep in the garage again.

Thanks to everyone that participated or followed along. It's been fun and educational.

#298 4 years ago

Nice work on this. It has been great to follow along. Solid state guy...I think not

#299 4 years ago

Aww, I was cheering for ya, you had it on the ropes

#300 4 years ago

So did you sell the United or is someone just finishing it for you?

There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-bowling-alley-restoration-attempt-help-gladly-accepted/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.