(Topic ID: 240940)

United Bowling Alley Restoration Attempt: Help Gladly Accepted!

By RonSS

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 382 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jaymach1
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095213 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095203 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095140 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095157 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095126 (resized).jpg
    20191117_095136 (resized).jpg
    20190826_231444 (resized).jpg
    20191013_095405 (resized).jpg
    20191009_203729 (resized).jpg
    20191009_202843 (resized).jpg
    4BEF9F9C-F98C-465C-859C-8F29E1514306 (resized).jpeg
    0051E014-0444-4879-83E3-8EB95361AB63 (resized).jpeg
    34D52B79-BD53-49CA-AD62-C8F256295264 (resized).jpeg
    20191008_173750 (resized).jpg
    20191007_233305 (resized).jpg
    There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Ok, so started to get back to it.
    Replaced the Pin deck, started her up, and noticed the frame unit isn't resetting. It moves forward fine, so probably just needs a quick adjustment or better lube/spring. Was working fine before of course.
    I'll take a better look soon.

Super lube Ron.. Super lube! Those steppers will be lightning fast.

20190731_154950 (resized).jpg20190731_154950 (resized).jpg
    #202 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Super lube Ron.. Super lube! Those steppers will be lightning fast.[quoted image]

Oh man, if that was a bottle of Astro-glide, I was going to spit my coffe out...LOL

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Oh man, if that was a bottle of Astro-glide, I was going to spit my coffe out...LOL

Yeah funny cause it showed up today and my wife asked what was in the box. Just some lube honey.... awkward look from the wife for sure.

#204 4 years ago

Haha! I just ordered some. Friday night I'll rub the lotion on, , ,

BN-JX461_buffal_G_20150819081920 (resized).jpgBN-JX461_buffal_G_20150819081920 (resized).jpg
    #205 4 years ago

I might have seconds thoughts on commenting on this thread once again.
    I hadn't known multi-purpose would get this type of reaction!

#206 4 years ago

#207 4 years ago

I would NOT recommend this!!!!
    When you got your machine, your machine was not working. 1 big factor why it was not working was because the grease on all the units and reels was dried up and preventing things from turning.( The old saying is that if you dont play these EM games all the time, they wont work. Thats to keep the grease from freezing up the units and reels) You have taken the time to remove and clean everything so that it will work, so why would you put this back on only to know that in the future you will have to do this all over again? Super Lube makes a Teflon Oil that would be best to use.
    I now there is some debate in this area, but we have worked on over a 1000 bowlers over the past 10 years and not one of them have had a problem caused by using this oil.
    Just some food for thought.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlerguy:

I would NOT recommend this!!!!
    When you got your machine, your machine was not working. 1 big factor why it was not working was because the grease on all the units and reels was dried up and preventing things from turning.( The old saying is that if you dont play these EM games all the time, they wont work. Thats to keep the grease from freezing up the units and reels) You have taken the time to remove and clean everything so that it will work, so why would you put this back on only to know that in the future you will have to do this all over again? Super Lube makes a Teflon Oil that would be best to use.
    I now there is some debate in this area, but we have worked on over a 1000 bowlers over the past 10 years and not one of them have had a problem caused by using this oil.
    Just some food for thought.

All thought food appreciated.

I think the root of my current evil is the "other" grease I applied, followed by flying sawdust!

Mental note, fab the back box cover next!!!

#209 4 years ago

In the early 90s, I applied White Lightning grease (has no teflon) to the wiper boards.
    I didn't care for the results, so over the W.L., I applied a film of Remmington Gun Oil
    (contains teflon), and that did the trick, but once I leaned of the Super Lube Synthetic
    Grease, I used that ever since, but still apply the R.G.O.
    I use the S.L. only on the wiper boards, and on pivot joints (metal on metal) I go dry
    or on some R.G.O.
    I have/had ball bowlers out. All components with the S.L. and R.G.O. is long lasting.
    Unlike when I first got some of these machines in, no wear at all on the wipers or its
    boards..

#210 4 years ago

Gonna be a good weekend after all!

0803191631 (resized).jpg0803191631 (resized).jpg
    #211 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Gonna be a good weekend after all![quoted image]

Dim the lights, turn on the marvin gaye and get the party started big boy!

#212 4 years ago

Well, I've got a treat for you today. Decided to run a mock up game and see what's what.

Don't mind my talking, just trying to add insight as I went. Feel free to mute, no offense taken.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Well, I've got a treat for you today. Decided to run a mock up game and see what's what.
    Don't mind my talking, just trying to add insight as I went. Feel free to mute, no offense taken.

Feels good to make progress doesn't it? Looks like you are at least over the mountain now and on the backside on the way down now.

#214 4 years ago

Yeah, I waited until everything was cleaned and lubed before even turning it on. It was killing me!

Then, disappointment from my score motor.

After some tinkering, and solid advice, I've finally made it to this stage.

#215 4 years ago

Went through my stepper's bakelite pads and removed my first grease application and applied the super lube. Now player #2 working fine (2 balls instead of 1).

I also bridged my ball return motor today, still didn't work, but I have a feeling it might have been trying, so I shut it down.

Tomorrow's job (if I can find some time) is to clean the motor.

On the lookout for some 10 1/4 inch pins if you have/find them. Need 2 - 3.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Went through my stepper's bakelite pads and removed my first grease application and applied the super lube. Now player #2 working fine (2 balls instead of 1).
    I also bridged my ball return motor today, still didn't work, but I have a feeling it might have been trying, so I shut it down.
    Tomorrow's job (if I can find some time) is to clean the motor.
    On the lookout for some 10 1/4 inch pins if you have/find them. Need 2 - 3.

If nobody on here has those pins I saw a whole set on ebay for like $50

#217 4 years ago

Nice, thanks!

#218 4 years ago

Ron, not only the switch that the coffin top closes, but a set of switches in the Game Over
    Relay is also in the Ball Lift Motor's circuitry..

#219 4 years ago

Thanks Mopar,
    I'll try and take a look tomorrow.

#220 4 years ago

Decided to tear the ball lift motor apart today.

Well that's interesting; a loose wire!

Let's crack this nut open. Is that Nutella? Yuck!

This part won't budge. Time to reach out. What gives?

0808191127 (resized).jpg0808191127 (resized).jpg0808191140a (resized).jpg0808191140a (resized).jpg0808191148 (resized).jpg0808191148 (resized).jpg
    #221 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

This part won't budge. Time to reach out. What gives?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you trying to remove the gears from the motors spindle? May be a press fit gear. Where are the bowling gods at to answer?

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

This part won't budge. Time to reach out. What gives?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The grease has solidified. Try soaking it in alcohol

#223 4 years ago

Sooo, been pretty busy today.

Used a heat gun to remove the stuck gear shaft. Everything all cleaned up nice like.

Put back together, soldered the wire issue, and reinstalled.

0808191416 (resized).jpg0808191416 (resized).jpg
    #224 4 years ago

Here's the end result:

I'm assuming my fan is scraping something? Or is that just normal noise?

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Here's the end result:
    I'm assuming my fan is scraping something? Or is that just normal noise?

Not normal, yep, check the fan. Blades are easily tweaked.

#226 4 years ago

Thanks cad.

#227 4 years ago

Fixed.

I tested a ball (field hockey) and it got stuck at the top. The ball is just under 3 inches so that's probably the issue.

Now that I've made it this far I can order some official balls!

#228 4 years ago

The ball size you have is not the reason for the ball getting stuck at the top. Look to see if the cabinet needs to be adjusted up or down.

#229 4 years ago

Oh, I'm certain the cabinet needs adjusting! I didn't even think that would be the cause. Kinda figured the whole unit was together.

I'll check that out, thank you!

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Magnalube-G is what the Bingo pin guys recommend for gearbox lube. Does not take much.

https://www.amazon.com/1-Pack-Magnalube-G-0-75-EDC-Plus/dp/B07RZ7YTHT/ref=sr_1_5

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Magnalube-G is what the Bingo pin guys recommend for gearbox lube. Does not take much.
    amazon.com link »

I put a little of that super lube in there. I'm not going back in unless it stops working.

It was a mess, so this has to be better.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I'm not going back in unless it stops working.

It won't stop working. If that wire was attached, I'm sure it would have worked with that old grease,
    but surely a plus applying the new..
    Did you put a couple of drops of light weight oil in those two oil tubes. I use Remmington Gun Oil, but
    I'm sure there's other with teflon..
    Also, you might want to put a couple of drops of light weight oil on the axles (or pivot points (?) on
    those washer type rollers that the ball rides on to travel off the belt on the track..
    BTW: Chris mentioned that Super Lube makes a light weight Teflon oil. I'm sure worth picking up..
    I'm sure the balls you're using don't bounce. They're really too hard. The balls should bounce off
    the rail, I'm guessing they just ride the rail once they make contact..

#233 4 years ago

I placed 2 drops of 3-1 oil in each tube.

I also gave each axle a dab of Super Lube, along with washer internals.

Once I bent the fan blades a little it was purring quite nicely!

I pushed the ball that was stuck and it rolled very nicely back to the rack, so all good there.

Guess I'll inspect the outhole area tomorrow.

Here's the final product today:

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I placed 2 drops of 3-1 oil in each tube.
    I pushed the ball that was stuck and it rolled very nicely back to the rack, so all good there.
    Guess I'll inspect the outhole area tomorrow.

Damn fine productive day Ron.

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Damn fine productive day Ron.

Thank you. We both found nice success!

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:I placed 2 drops of 3-1 oil in each tube.

Much better

#237 4 years ago

Okay, tackling the pin reset. As seen in the bowling video, it was rarely completing a full revolution.

I dismantled the motor and arm/disc. Isopropyled everything, then sparingly lubed moving parts.

I did not take this motor apart.

Result was better, but still not working. So I looked around a little more at possible issues. I think I've found it.

When I remove this spring from under the pin deck to the disc arm I get full function.

So, do I just leave it off? I assume it has a function...
    0809191151 (resized).jpg0809191151 (resized).jpg

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Okay, tackling the pin reset. As seen in the bowling video, it was rarely completing a full revolution.
    I dismantled the motor and arm/disc. Isopropyled everything, then sparingly lubed moving parts.
    I did not take this motor apart.
    Result was better, but still not working. So I looked around a little more at possible issues. I think I've found it.
    When I remove this spring from under the pin deck to the disc arm I get full function.
    So, do I just leave it off? I assume it has a function...
    [quoted image]

Ron that looks like the exact same motor and assembly as on my unit I can take a look at mine when I get home here shortly and let you know

#239 4 years ago

Here you go Ron its the exact same assembly as mine so hopefully these pics will help.

20190809_153111 (resized).jpg20190809_153111 (resized).jpg20190809_153125 (resized).jpg20190809_153125 (resized).jpg
    #240 4 years ago

Thanks. Thats how it was set up, so I guess it was on correctly to start.

I wonder why it's now prohibiting the full range of motion?

I also wonder what it's function is as it "seems" to work fine without it?

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Thanks. Thats how it was set up, so I guess it was on correctly to start.
    I wonder why it's now prohibiting the full range of motion?
    I also wonder what it's function is as it "seems" to work fine without it?

Did you oil the motor?

#242 4 years ago

I did not.

I sprayed some isopropyl in there to help loosen any gunk, but seems to turn ok, just seems "weak" at end of revolution and doesn't find the notch to stop.

If I help it by hand it's fine.

Without the spring, all good.

#243 4 years ago

I would take those two screws right above the motor on that circular piece loose there's a little piece in there pull the whole thing out and put like two drops of oil in there it may be that there's some gunk in there or some dried up Kris and some fresh oil will make a big difference I know it did on mine

#244 4 years ago

Worth a try.

On tomorrow's agenda.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I did not.
    I sprayed some isopropyl in there to help loosen any gunk, but seems to turn ok, just seems "weak" at end of revolution and doesn't find the notch to stop.
    If I help it by hand it's fine.
    Without the spring, all good.

I was thinking about this a bit more have you measured voltage at the motor? Maybe it's not getting proper power and that could be it's hangup? Also i still say take those 2 screws out holding in that armature and clean it off and q-tip the inside with alcohol also then a couple drops of oil. Then reward yourself with a frosty cold one!

#246 4 years ago

That spring is to hold the cam back so the motor doesn't over ride..
    Had you put a couple of drops on the armature's tail? That tail that pulls
    in when the motor is energized. It usually makes a good size difference..

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

That spring is to hold the cam back so the motor doesn't over ride..
    Had you put a couple of drops on the armature's tail? That tail that pulls
    in when the motor is energized. It usually makes a good size difference..

I did put some on the tail.

#248 4 years ago

On your ball return, the ball lift arms originally had vinyl or something similar on them to protect the balls themselves. I used heat shrink tubing on mine (United Play Time), and that seemed to work well. The original balls that were with the machine when I got it were gouged up terribly from the lift arms, as the coating was missing.
    Jim

#249 4 years ago

Jim,
    I'm thinking maybe some plasti-dip would do the trick?

I've got new balls coming, so maybe sooner, rather than later, is the path to take here.

Thanks!

#250 4 years ago

Any luck with that spring and motor today?

There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-bowling-alley-restoration-attempt-help-gladly-accepted/page/5?hl=mojonitro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.