4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tomm1963
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200313_130616 (resized).jpg
    20200313_131030 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I was looking to buy a Fishtales and when I opened up the backbox I fount a previous owner had bypassed the driver board 5volt and added a secondary transformer/power supply in the cabinet. I have heard of this additional power unit being added to supply power for mods but have never seen this configuration to supply 5V to the CPU. The current owner says he bought it this way and the game runs fine.

So how much of an issue is this? Would you buy knowing that the game driver board is most certainly not supply 5V? Would you leave it as-is if you did buy it? I have rebuilt many boards and doing a rebuild on the driver board is well within my scope of my capability.

The current configuration is certainly an interesting way to solve reset problems, kind of like the Kahr daughterboard only more convoluted. It is ugly but for someone, without the skills to do board work, it fixed it. I am interested in opinions. Thanks in advance.

20200313_130616 (resized).jpg20200313_130616 (resized).jpg20200313_131030 (resized).jpg20200313_131030 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

It's a non-issue unless that power supply goes wonky and loses regulation and starts over-volting the board somehow. I haven't personally seen this done in a pin before, but have seen plenty of these PSUs in arcade games. Not sure what the failure rate is on them, but I wouldn't particularly worry about it. The best option is always to fix the existing problem on the boards IMO, but this is fine if the wiring is correct and you're not worried about wire nuts coming apart. Molex connectors would be safer to me, but it's likely a non-issue.

#3 4 years ago

Well since you can yourself rebuild the power board, if you can get the game for the right price go for it. I myself would get rid of the power supply.

#4 4 years ago

I'd buy it that way, would leave it until it was a problem

#5 4 years ago

Read the pinwiki on WPC resets.
    Ah mis read- opinions* for options.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks, folks.
    He is asking $3200 for this player's condition Fishtales.
    Rebuilding the driver board correctly would be $50ish in parts and some time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unique-5-volt-reset-fix-opinions?hl=brewskisbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.