(Topic ID: 288690)

Uninsulated wire powering relays?

By wichitakid71

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9438 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9437 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9436 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi, I'm working to get my newly acquired Strato-Flite EM working and it looks like I will need to repair some damaged wiring. My read of the schematic suggests that this bare, uninsulated wire joining replays on the mech panel and in the head is just a daisy-chain for the 24v feed to the various coils. I have some insulated 18 AWG wire on hand that I was going to use to replace the broken sections. What I'm wondering is why the sections are uninsulated to begin with. These are the only examples in the machine, everything else has the cloth insulation and color scheme. Am I looking at sections that were previously repaired? Is this what is just under the cloth? What is odd is that in the Pinside gallery for this machine the exact same kind of wire (uninsulated) is shown in the same locations.

I just want to make sure that this wire isn't serving some different purpose and that I'd be making a mistake in replacing it with something different.Photos are below.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.

Scott

IMG_9436 (resized).jpegIMG_9436 (resized).jpegIMG_9437 (resized).jpegIMG_9437 (resized).jpegIMG_9438 (resized).jpegIMG_9438 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Time is money — a fast way to chain them all together. It’s the original wiring.

#3 3 years ago

This wiring shown is correct. It would be a big mistake to change it.

#4 3 years ago

I have no plans to change the configuration, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be doing wrong by using modern insulated wire to repair the breaks/bridge the gaps. Thanks for the comments and advice.

#5 3 years ago

You should have no issue replacing the bare with an insulated wire.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from wichitakid71:

I have no plans to change the configuration, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be doing wrong by using modern insulated wire to repair the breaks/bridge the gaps. Thanks for the comments and advice.

You should really just leave it as is. It has been working that way for almost 50 years with no problems. If anything, you will most likely create issues down the road and de-value the machine.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

You should really just leave it as is. It has been working that way for almost 50 years with no problems. If anything, you will most likely create issues down the road and de-value the machine.

He has some sections that are broken. Usually there is not enough slack to make the old connection. Sounds like he is doing it out of necessity.

#8 3 years ago

Ibis is correct. There’s no way to simply reconnect the broken wires, and I’m interested in getting this playing. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some grand purpose behind all this bare wire. Thanks everyone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uninsulated-wire-powering-relays?hl=gotemwill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.