View topic image gallery

DE9CE757-AE87-4BFB-8C7C-927A6B6B3630 (resized).png
FDF16E0A-4430-4527-AC13-A55E0E0AB788 (resized).png
1D8DE6A4-E492-46C4-9EE2-7BB9BF1F1447 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpg
received_1210314295667266 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ImNotNorm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 2 years ago

This seems interesting. I may have to explore this hobby this summer. I think a helmet may be a good idea when I try it lol.

#29 2 years ago

Is fat tire a decent unicycle for a beginner?

(20 inch wheels (3 inch wide) with an adjustable height of 32-38 inches)

Screenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpgScreenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpg

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Looks like a good one to me.

Looks like I'm going to buy it tomorrow. It's still a nasty winter up here but I will practice inside until the spring.

#37 2 years ago

I just brought my unicycle home. Any tips or suggestions for someone starting out?

The guy I bought mine from suggested trying on grass at first to help cushion the blow from falling over and over.

I also found this video on YouTube. Seems to give good advice as well. (Like using a wall or outdoor summer hockey rink)

Thanks

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

This is from someone who just learned a few days ago so take it for what it’s worth but…
I think if you are actually falling you are doing it wrong. I never once fell, even when I hurt my leg, I still stayed on my feet. I fell OFF the unicycle probably a hundred times, but never onto the ground, always onto my feet. Anytime I started to fall I either went forward or backwards onto my feet and ditched the unicycle or grabbed it from behind by the seat to save it from some damage.
For me it was a lot easier to use a wall to push off of but also something on the side to steady myself.
Find a place with a lot of room not just in front but side to side as well, the first couple times I started to get going good I had to ditch as I was too close to stuff on the ground or the wall.
I have not tried free mounting yet as my right pedal snapped on the end the second time I tried to ride so I was using a partial pedal. I got Amazon to give me a discount so I could buy a pair of aluminum pedals, so freemounting and idling are the next skills I will work on starting tomorrow since my new pedals came in, as well as getting better at turning. I’m riding pretty well but I still wouldn’t be able to ride on a curvy sidewalk.
One thing that kept me motivated as I am a very competitive person even with myself, was marking the distance I made it and then trying to beat that distance.
Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Thanks for the write up and tips.

Do you actually sit down when you're on your unicycle? Or is it like a half sit?

#42 2 years ago

Thanks guys.

Stupid question. But what's the best way to catch yourself falling back?

Seems like keeping one leg straight on the unicycle pedal and using the other to step off and catch yourself?

#46 2 years ago

Any recommendations for a good brand of aluminum pedals?

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

amazon.com link »
I put these on mine, I like them a lot but I am not a big cycle guy so I don’t know if they are “good”. They feel a lot better then the cheap plastic that came with mine and at $15 I thought they were a good deal.

Thanks. 45$ CAD here for the same pedals. Sheesh.

3 months later
#52 1 year ago

Is it best to try to keep a straight spine when peddling? Rather than being hunched over.

And adjusting your arms as a counterweight when needed?

I ask because I have a tendency of leaning forward while trying to peddle. Maybe it's just instinct...?

2 weeks later
#58 1 year ago

Haven't had much time to practice lately.

Should be able to practice daily starting end of June/July

My goal for 2022 is learning to ride. It's gonna happen!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ImNotNorm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unicycles-anyone-else-ride?tu=ImNotNorm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.