View topic image gallery

DE9CE757-AE87-4BFB-8C7C-927A6B6B3630 (resized).png
FDF16E0A-4430-4527-AC13-A55E0E0AB788 (resized).png
1D8DE6A4-E492-46C4-9EE2-7BB9BF1F1447 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpg
received_1210314295667266 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Just picked up a 24” schwinn, learned on a 20” in my teens. It’s like riding a bicycle, was able to jump on an go after 20 years or so! Anyone else out there into unicycles?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I was good at it during my elementary years...unicycle was part of the gym curriculum back then. I have one in my parents ts garage somewhere. I am pretty sure I could hop on and ride it again if I gave it a try. Now I need to go over there and dig it out...

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I was good at it during my elementary years...unicycle was part of the gym curriculum back then. I have one in my parents ts garage somewhere. I am pretty sure I could hop on and ride it again if I gave it a try. Now I need to go over there and dig it out...

Holy crap I wish my elementary gym class taught uni-cycling.

Kneissl That looks so cool. if you don't mind sharing: how expensive is a unicycle like the Schwinn shown in your OP?

#4 2 years ago

It’s around $200
unicycle.com appears to have licensed the original schwinn design, if you don’t have nostalgia for the classic schwinn, their other brands all have a regular seatpost clamp, and i think a few were a couple bucks cheaper. I think they’re all made in Taiwan at the same factory, quality seems really good. The seats all have nice plastic fenders, the original schwinn seat i learned with was padded with a bunch of duct tape. (You will drop the seat a few times)

#5 2 years ago

I've tried over and over again. No go! As Clint Eastwood says "a mans gotta know
his limitations". So the unicycle sits in storage.

#6 2 years ago

I learned how to ride as a kid on a terrible JC Penny catalog unicycle (because every year when my parents said what do you want for xmas, being so hilarious I'd say unicycle). Once I learned how to ride the thing I got a nicer one. Had a 6 foot Schwin for a while - those things are a hell of a leg workout. Guy I sold it to promptly fell off of it and broke some appendage (can't remember if it was an arm or a leg). I have a nice 26" wheel standard height these days, but I can't ride for long without the seat causing considerable soreness because I don't have much natural padding.

#7 2 years ago

Even though I had ample opportunity, while working at a bike shop for a good chunk of the 90s and we had them on the floor periodically, I never could get the knack. Definitely appreciate anyone who can. I had the good fortune of seeing this guy on more than a few occasions when I lived in Los Alamos, NM 8ish years ago, and he is amazing.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Had a 6 foot Schwin for a while - those things are a hell of a leg workout. Guy I sold it to promptly fell off of it and broke some appendage (can't remember if it was an arm or a leg).

I never learned how to idle, so I’ve been working on that since i got this thing. Riding a giraffe looks sweet, but like you say, breaking something is a real possibility.

https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1980_schwinn_unicycle.jpg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago

My brain has always looked at these things and screamed "you will die if you try"

#10 2 years ago

My brother in law owned a sporting good store so I always had the use of one. Tried for many weeks with no success. Even tried with ski poles to help balance. I would still like to learn but not sure if my body would cooperate.

#11 2 years ago

Never tried one but it sounds fun. As an elementary gym teacher I could learn to ride one at work this winter. Would a 20” one work for a 6’5” adult? Looks like I can pick one up for about $70, don’t see any 24” ones for less than $100

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Never tried one but it sounds fun. As an elementary gym teacher I could learn to ride one at work this winter. Would a 20” one work for a 6’5” adult? Looks like I can pick one up for about $70, don’t see any 24” ones for less than $100

You might need a ‘seat extender’ pole to get the distance you need from the wheel with a 20 inch, said the 6’4” guy.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

My brain has always looked at these things and screamed "you will die if you try"

That's funny, I've got the same brain.
Looks fun...... but hell no.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You might need a ‘seat extender’ pole to get the distance you need from the wheel with a 20 inch, said the 6’4” guy.

Thanks I will look around for a deal on a 24” one. This looks like a lot of fun and I’m sure the kids would get a kick out of seeing me ride it in the gym and knowing me throughout the hallways as well!

#15 2 years ago

Yes!! I have a line up...
Miyata Giraffe, CIB.
Miyata 20" freestyle.
Miyata 24" freestyle.
Kris Holm trials, pro model.
Kris Holm 24" Mountain, pro model.

I enjoy riding! Great hobby as well as pinball!

received_1210314295667266 (resized).jpegreceived_1210314295667266 (resized).jpeg
#16 2 years ago

The way we were taught to ride as kids was to back up against the wall in the gym, backpedal the unicycle against the wall and then lean off from there. Once you practice a bit, you will be able to to eventually hop on without the wall.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The way we were taught to ride as kids was to back up against the wall in the gym, backpedal the unicycle against the wall and then lean off from there. Once you practice a bit, you will be able to to eventually hop on without the wall.

This is much better than leaning on a side-wall or using the ‘ski poles’ to “stay up” — those methods just teach you to lean badly. I tell people to use a high curb or a big block to roll the tire back into instead, so they can step over it on to the pedals. That carries forward momentum a bit, and mimics free-mounting a bit better than a full wall.

#18 2 years ago

My best friend had a class in high school and learned there. He taught me when I was a junior. I fell off his so much I bent the pedals. I eventually got pretty good at it. I could go up and down curbs, I could idle for as long as I wanted. And was ok at going backwards. I also road a tall one? About 6’ foot tall but only a few times. My old one is hanging out in my barn. I haven’t been on it in about 25 years. Great memories.

#19 2 years ago

Serious question: What is the appeal of unicycling? I mean I can see it as a fun novelty I suppose but is there other reasons, or is it fun just to be different?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Serious question: What is the appeal of unicycling? I mean I can see it as a fun novelty I suppose but is there other reasons, or is it fun just to be different?

They're, uh, easier to store than a full bicycle? I don't know either. It was just fun to do. It's faster than walking, but no where near as fast as a bike. There's not really any point to it.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

They're, uh, easier to store than a full bicycle? I don't know either. It was just fun to do. It's faster than walking, but no where near as fast as a bike. There's not really any point to it.

Haha that is fair, and kind of what I figured. Not a knock on unicycling at all, I think it seems like an interesting hobby, I just always wondered if maybe there was more to it that I was missing

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Japanese adopted it in their school program, obviously helps balance but I guess there’s some mental benefit as well.
https://www.businessinsider.com/japanese-education-unicycles-2016-11?op=1

#23 2 years ago

Just got in a 24” one from Amazon.
Tried it in my kitchen first, got about one turn of the pedals before I lost my balance. A few more tries and could make it across the kitchen. Moved to the garage so I didn’t have to worry about hitting the floor and scratching it and made it across the garage on my second attempt. Going to work on trying to go from the garage down the driveway now, that’s about all I can do at home, I live on a court so the sidewalk is curved and I am nowhere near ready to start turning and steering. I’m enjoying it so far, it’s a good challenge and seems like it will be good exercise. I have Monday off work so Tuesday on my lunch I’m going to try riding it in my gym.
So far I would say the biggest challenge is mental as I keep trying to coast like on a regular bike, I start to get going and my brain goes into autopilot and I try to coast which of course makes you completely stop and lose balance as you can’t do that on a unicycle.
The second time I tried it the end of the right pedal also snapped off so I’m going to probably have to return this one as Amazon typically doesn’t send parts, they just do full exchanges, we will see what they do about it.
Thanks Knessil for the new hobby, I had never considered it before you posted about it!

#24 2 years ago

I have about 160 sick days built up, maybe I should buy one. Actually been meaning to grab ones for the kids (and maybe give it a try myself). One of my girls was able to do some no hands pogo sticking, so I figure it might be up her alley.

#25 2 years ago

20 minutes into my lunch and I can ride across the gym which is 80 feet long pretty much everytime now and am starting to get some turning down, slowing down, changing direction etc. Took one bad fall where I went forward and my right foot was still on the pedal and my left came off, jamming the pedal into the back of my left calf bruising it and cutting it pretty good and smashed my nuts on the seat. Took a 5 minute break and everything clicked and it was like, why couldn’t I stay on before it feels so natural!?
For sure the biggest hurdle for me was keeping peddling, my mind just kept wanting me to coast, balance was not really an issue, just stopping my own momentum.
It is a pretty good workout I’ve done maybe 20 laps now and I’m sweating, way harder than riding a regular bike

#26 2 years ago

This seems interesting. I may have to explore this hobby this summer. I think a helmet may be a good idea when I try it lol.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

It is a pretty good workout I’ve done maybe 20 laps now and I’m sweating, way harder than riding a regular bike

Dang dude, that’s quick. You’re a natural!

I was a kid, but i remember just needing to keep going.. got into the habit of putting a foot down after a couple pumps. Felt like i was falling but really i just needed to keep pedaling.

#28 2 years ago

I’ve used crutches to get going

#29 2 years ago

Is fat tire a decent unicycle for a beginner?

(20 inch wheels (3 inch wide) with an adjustable height of 32-38 inches)

Screenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpgScreenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpg

#30 2 years ago

Would like to learn for the efficiency aspect. Why have 2 wheels when you can do the same thing with one?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Is fat tire a decent unicycle for a beginner?
(20 inch wheels (3 inch wide) with an adjustable height of 32-38 inches)
[quoted image]

Looks like a good one to me.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Dang dude, that’s quick. You’re a natural!
I was a kid, but i remember just needing to keep going.. got into the habit of putting a foot down after a couple pumps. Felt like i was falling but really i just needed to keep pedaling.

Thanks, probably all those years of leaning in my chair and getting yelled at by teachers, I used to balance on the back two legs of my chair in school all the time as the chairs were always too small and uncomfortable for me.
Here’s a photo right after my leg got stuck, it’s bruising up pretty good now but I guess it was the lesson I needed to get the hang of it!

1D8DE6A4-E492-46C4-9EE2-7BB9BF1F1447 (resized).jpeg1D8DE6A4-E492-46C4-9EE2-7BB9BF1F1447 (resized).jpeg
#33 2 years ago

Who wants to form a unicycle gang?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Looks like a good one to me.

Looks like I'm going to buy it tomorrow. It's still a nasty winter up here but I will practice inside until the spring.

#35 2 years ago

Taught some classes and then on my prep tried juggling while riding. Took about 20 minutes but was able to get halfway across the gym and about 5 full revolutions of juggling. Don’t see a way to upload a video without putting it on YouTube so here’s a couple screenshots of the video

DE9CE757-AE87-4BFB-8C7C-927A6B6B3630 (resized).pngDE9CE757-AE87-4BFB-8C7C-927A6B6B3630 (resized).pngFDF16E0A-4430-4527-AC13-A55E0E0AB788 (resized).pngFDF16E0A-4430-4527-AC13-A55E0E0AB788 (resized).png
#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Keeps you "hands free", so you can play the accordion.

#37 2 years ago

I just brought my unicycle home. Any tips or suggestions for someone starting out?

The guy I bought mine from suggested trying on grass at first to help cushion the blow from falling over and over.

I also found this video on YouTube. Seems to give good advice as well. (Like using a wall or outdoor summer hockey rink)

Thanks

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I just brought my unicycle home. Any tips or suggestions for someone starting out?
The guy I bought mine from suggested trying on grass at first to help cushion the blow from falling over and over.
I also found this video on YouTube. Seems to give good advice as well. (Like using a wall or outdoor summer hockey rink)
Thanks

This is from someone who just learned a few days ago so take it for what it’s worth but…
I think if you are actually falling you are doing it wrong. I never once fell, even when I hurt my leg, I still stayed on my feet. I fell OFF the unicycle probably a hundred times, but never onto the ground, always onto my feet. Anytime I started to fall I either went forward or backwards onto my feet and ditched the unicycle or grabbed it from behind by the seat to save it from some damage.
For me it was a lot easier to use a wall to push off of but also something on the side to steady myself.
Find a place with a lot of room not just in front but side to side as well, the first couple times I started to get going good I had to ditch as I was too close to stuff on the ground or the wall.
I have not tried free mounting yet as my right pedal snapped on the end the second time I tried to ride so I was using a partial pedal. I got Amazon to give me a discount so I could buy a pair of aluminum pedals, so freemounting and idling are the next skills I will work on starting tomorrow since my new pedals came in, as well as getting better at turning. I’m riding pretty well but I still wouldn’t be able to ride on a curvy sidewalk.
One thing that kept me motivated as I am a very competitive person even with myself, was marking the distance I made it and then trying to beat that distance.
Good luck and let us know how it works out!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

This is from someone who just learned a few days ago so take it for what it’s worth but…
I think if you are actually falling you are doing it wrong. I never once fell, even when I hurt my leg, I still stayed on my feet. I fell OFF the unicycle probably a hundred times, but never onto the ground, always onto my feet. Anytime I started to fall I either went forward or backwards onto my feet and ditched the unicycle or grabbed it from behind by the seat to save it from some damage.
For me it was a lot easier to use a wall to push off of but also something on the side to steady myself.
Find a place with a lot of room not just in front but side to side as well, the first couple times I started to get going good I had to ditch as I was too close to stuff on the ground or the wall.
I have not tried free mounting yet as my right pedal snapped on the end the second time I tried to ride so I was using a partial pedal. I got Amazon to give me a discount so I could buy a pair of aluminum pedals, so freemounting and idling are the next skills I will work on starting tomorrow since my new pedals came in, as well as getting better at turning. I’m riding pretty well but I still wouldn’t be able to ride on a curvy sidewalk.
One thing that kept me motivated as I am a very competitive person even with myself, was marking the distance I made it and then trying to beat that distance.
Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Thanks for the write up and tips.

Do you actually sit down when you're on your unicycle? Or is it like a half sit?

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Do you actually sit down when you're on your unicycle? Or is it like a half sit?

Everything Parkshow30 said.

Fit your unicycle with steel or aluminum pedals that don't let your shoes slip.

You just kind of want to float on the seat and swivel your hips.

Find a smooth level surface with something to hold onto.

I learned in my parent's unfinished basement, where I could reach up and grab the I beam while I was astride the unicycle.

Don't get it out to impress your friends when you're drinking (at least until you get better).

You won't fall, just jump forward or back, grabbing the seat as you dis-mount.

I have found Schwinn unicycles are the best. Just my personal preference.

E

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I have a lot more weight on the pedals than I do with a regular bike that’s for sure, not sure if it’s half way probably a little less, also not sure if it’s the correct way to do it as I just watched a few YouTube videos then tried until I could do it.
My aluminum pedals are way better than the plastic ones that came with it, riding went well today but I didn’t have a chance to do anything except practice a few turns which I’m getting better at but still not good by any means. Started riding in front of some of my classes now as I can safely do it without the unicycle flying across the gym and the kids are getting a big kick out of it, many of them expressing interest in learning themselves.

#42 2 years ago

Thanks guys.

Stupid question. But what's the best way to catch yourself falling back?

Seems like keeping one leg straight on the unicycle pedal and using the other to step off and catch yourself?

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I think if you are actually falling you are doing it wrong. I never once fell, even when I hurt my leg, I still stayed on my feet.

I learned as a kid on a borrowed unicycle. The neighbors who loaned it to me said not to let it hit the ground because it would damage the seat and I never did. That's the nice thing about a unicycle, you always know when you're about to fall so there's time to land on your feet and catch the unicycle. When I was in high school I got a 24" and 6'.

I ran across my 6' unicycle and thought I'd give it a try. I'm now almost 60 years old and it's been over 20 years since I last rode it. Getting started on the 6' is a challenge as you have to climb up it like a ladder (tire to pedal to seat) and then get moving before you fall over. Though I landed on my feet after each failed attempt the impact after dropping from 6' got me thinking about potential injuries and I decided maybe discretion was the better part of valor.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I learned as a kid on a borrowed unicycle. The neighbors who loaned it to me said not to let it hit the ground because it would damage the seat and I never did. That's the nice thing about a unicycle, you always know when you're about to fall so there's time to land on your feet and catch the unicycle. When I was in high school I got a 24" and 6'.
I ran across my 6' unicycle and thought I'd give it a try. I'm now almost 60 years old and it's been over 20 years since I last rode it. Getting started on the 6' is a challenge as you have to climb up it like a ladder (tire to pedal to seat) and then get moving before you fall over. Though I landed on my feet after each failed attempt the impact after dropping from 6' got me thinking about potential injuries and I decided maybe discretion was the better part of valor.

Wow, I’ve seen videos of people riding those 6’ ones and there was a teenager in my neighborhood who rode one around during lockdown and I have to say that’s a little too far for me! I don’t even want to fall 6’ onto my feet let alone make a mistake and fall forwards or backwards.
The nice thing about learning to ride in my gym is I’m on tile floor, I can drop it as much as I want and it won’t ruin the seat. I saw a YouTube video where they recommended taping a half piece of a foam noodle on the front and back to save the seat

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Thanks guys.
Stupid question. But what's the best way to catch yourself falling back?
Seems like keeping one leg straight on the unicycle pedal and using the other to step off and catch yourself?

When I fall backwards that’s exactly what I do, push with that one foot to get the unicycle clear of your body and step off. If I fall off the front I will usually catch it from behind so the plastic handle piece doesn’t break on the floor, but when I ditch backwards I just let it go

#46 2 years ago

Any recommendations for a good brand of aluminum pedals?

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Any recommendations for a good brand of aluminum pedals?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QMHLZWZ

I put these on mine, I like them a lot but I am not a big cycle guy so I don’t know if they are “good”. They feel a lot better then the cheap plastic that came with mine and at $15 I thought they were a good deal.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

amazon.com link »
I put these on mine, I like them a lot but I am not a big cycle guy so I don’t know if they are “good”. They feel a lot better then the cheap plastic that came with mine and at $15 I thought they were a good deal.

Rubber pedals are easier on your shins when you're getting started.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

amazon.com link »

Thanks. 45$ CAD here for the same pedals. Sheesh.

#50 2 years ago

Couldn’t ride for a few days as I had a flat tire. When the new tube came in and I changed it I saw the cause, the rubber rim liner wasn’t centered at all and there were spoke nuts poking into the tube.
Got much better at turning out of necessity as this week I am doing a Ninja Warrior obstacle course in the gym so my entire gym is covered in mats, cones, trampolines, stepping stones, agility ladders, etc.
Maybe someone here that rides better can chime in, but it seems like the more weight I put on the pedals the easier it is to make small adjustments when turning, but I also go a lot slower.
I have been able to free mount a few times now which means getting on the unicycle and pedaling without holding onto anything. I think my idling practice helped with that. I’ve been practicing my idling by sitting on the unicycle in my doorway from my office to the gym and just rocking back and forth, touching the door frame as needed to keep my balance. Sometimes I’m able to not touch for awhile but haven’t started keeping track of that yet, once I get better at free mounting and turning and adding some speed I’ll set some idling goals.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unicycles-anyone-else-ride?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.