View topic image gallery

DE9CE757-AE87-4BFB-8C7C-927A6B6B3630 (resized).png
FDF16E0A-4430-4527-AC13-A55E0E0AB788 (resized).png
1D8DE6A4-E492-46C4-9EE2-7BB9BF1F1447 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220118-103028_Kijiji.jpg
received_1210314295667266 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Got a little riding in yesterday. I could Freemount no problem as a kid, but was not feeling comfortable on this new uni. Got over that hurdle! Starting off a little rut or stick eased me up to it. Have also been doing a short backup a after going forward to warm up to idling, feels like pretty big progress since i never idled.

3 months later
#52 1 year ago

Is it best to try to keep a straight spine when peddling? Rather than being hunched over.

And adjusting your arms as a counterweight when needed?

I ask because I have a tendency of leaning forward while trying to peddle. Maybe it's just instinct...?

#53 1 year ago

I've read it's better to sit up straight, but I don't think I do.

#54 1 year ago

I ride pretty straight up and down and my arms are used to adjust balance quite a bit. I can turn left like that but not right for some reason. Been getting in 5 minutes here and there between classes when I can. If I hold the seat with one hand I can turn better but I’m not as steady at all when doing that.
I still have not ridden outdoors other than my driveway when I first got it, only in my gym on the tile floors and the carpet in the hallway. For some reason the hallway carpet is a lot harder to ride on, the wheel feels like it’s slipping and getting no traction. It’s super old high traffic elementary school carpet, hopefully pavement will be fine, with the warmer weather I might take it outside and ride it in the blacktop during recess.

#55 1 year ago

I ride in my back yard which is really rough, i think it helped me get better. Got more comfortable at near standstill wiggling around roots or whatever rough terrain.

2 weeks later
#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It’s around $200
unicycle.com appears to have licensed the original schwinn design, if you don’t have nostalgia for the classic schwinn, their other brands all have a regular seatpost clamp, and i think a few were a couple bucks cheaper. I think they’re all made in Taiwan at the same factory, quality seems really good. The seats all have nice plastic fenders, the original schwinn seat i learned with was padded with a bunch of duct tape. (You will drop the seat a few times)

I can't remember what type of clamp Schwinn was using at the time but at a glance it looks like the design Semcycle was using when I bought mine in the late 90s. The 24" was around $225 and it was generally considered the gold standard amongst the unicycling communities I was in at the time. Those old sems were on the heavy side but absolute tanks. I've barely ridden it in the last decade but it took tons of abuse for the first 15 years and it was still as good as the day I bought it. It's hanging in my garage and if I ever decided to get back on it the only thing it would need is a new inner tube. That clamp design was rock solid and would be great with the lighter alloys I assume a modern high-end cycle would have.

The "XL" design with the traditional bike clamp which appears to be the only non-girraffe Sem sells now was new at the time and was their budget model @ ~$150. It was less sturdy/durable than the original but still better than most others out there and was gaining popularity not just for the lower price tag but also because it was a few pounds lighter than the original Sem. A friend of mine bought one of those around the same time I bought mine, rode a lot more than I ever did and it was still holding up the last time we dragged them out a decade ago. The present day Sem XL looks like it's a different design though so I don't how it performs compared to the ones from the 90s.

#57 1 year ago

I admire you guys. I'd literally kill myself if I tried. I damn near did on two wheels going down a hill as a kid. Had to drag my bloody self and broken bike home. Mom was like wtf. I'm like I fell, sorry

#58 1 year ago

Haven't had much time to practice lately.

Should be able to practice daily starting end of June/July

My goal for 2022 is learning to ride. It's gonna happen!

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unicycles-anyone-else-ride/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.