(Topic ID: 61731)

Unhappy Customer - what would you do?

By too-many-pins

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Am I in the wrong? Are buyers expectations too high?”

• As a seller you should have never made machine better than in the pictures 9 votes
      14%
    • You should have told buyer $400 or no deal because repairs were already made 5 votes
      8%
    • Buyer is being unrealistic 14 votes
      22%
    • AS-IS is just that and buyer had a choice when picting machine up 35 votes
      54%
    • Buyer should have offered more money since board work was done 2 votes
      3%

(65 votes)

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I just sold a "project" pinball machine to a guy that lived about 450 miles away. Without talking about too many specifics as far as the transaction the deal was pretty cut and dry. I offered him the machine for $325 (as-is) or $400 if we went through and did any necessary board work and got it up and running for him. Then all he would have to do is shop it and he would have a working machine.

Here is where it gets a little complicated - my son is my board guy and he is getting ready to go away on vacation for a couple weeks and the guy kept going back and forth between wanting it fully working at $400 or a project at $325. Also kept changing date he wanted to come get it.

Anyway this week before his trip my son had some free time so I asked him to go ahead and go through the boards just in case the guy wanted machine as a fully working machine. My son repaired the MPU, installed a remote batter pack, check driver board, fixed all switches on the machine, etc. but he didn't have time to fix the dead power supply.

Guy got a hold of me and wanted to come this weekend for the machine and decided to buy it as a project - so I figure what the hell we did 2 or 3 hours work for nothing but I am a man of my word and stuck to my original asking price of $325. My son had put a brand new power supply into the machine for testing and once finished testing he put a part way working power supply in the machine figuring it was better than the totally dead one and he labeled issues with power supply to save buyer some time power supply.

Today the guy sends me a kind of nasty email because power supply isn't the one that was in the picture of the machine and accused me of taking out a "good power supply". I emailed him back and told him I would be happy to send him the dead power supply if he covered postage and then he could return the part way working power supply to me if he would like.

What would you do in a case like this? I think the guy was just playing me as a fool and expected a fully working machine for the price of a project machine. The only reason he didn't end up getting the machine that way is because we didn't have a good power supply to toss into the machine.

How would you handle this?

Sad thing is I though the guy would be super happy MPU was repaired, driver board was checked, all switches in machines we checked and remote battery pack was installed. Now he has an issue because the dead power supply isn't in the machine that was in the pictures???

#2 10 years ago

What does the guy expect for $325? I think your offer is more than fair and stick to it. The guy kinda sounds like a flake and nothing you say or do will make him happy. Hopefully, the next time you have a customer that acts like this, you can just wait and sell it to someone else.

#3 10 years ago

A. I would have told him all the things we did so for better or worse he would know what it was when he got home and started tearing in to it. No value in extra if you don't let the person know they got more.
    B. I would have mailed him the old power supply.

#4 10 years ago

You should have bailed earlier when he couldn't make up his mind.

No deal is always better than a bad deal.

No pleasing him now, you are married to him.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

He drove 450 miles for a $325 project game? Wow. I'd probably send him the dead board and ask for the old one back.

#6 10 years ago

AS IS is just that, he wanted a project machine, he got one.

what was the machine?

#7 10 years ago

wow 325 and hes still complaining. what game was it? do you have any more 350.00 machines you want to get rid of? : )

#8 10 years ago

I think he deserves to have the parts shown in the pictures. Offer to send him the power supply in the picture the same day you receive the other one back in the mail and you will pay postage both ways. He will decline because he knows the one he got is worth more and you will have fulfilled your obligation to him.

Don't get me wrong, I think you went over and above but if he really wants the part that was in the picture let him have it.

#9 10 years ago

Yup, sucks on your side, but maybe he thought the original board looked in better shape for repairing, who knows, but he didn't get what he paid for (essentially) so I think you have to send the board to him and ask he sends the other one back with you paying the postage, if it's worth it for you.

I wouldn't have worked on it further until you got an answer from him, or would have noted what is different once you made the concrete deal, and +/- to the deal as such.

We all have live and learn experiences with selling these things, I know I have my share.

#10 10 years ago

Tell the buyer to return the power supply and you will be happy to refund his mailing cost and return the bad power supply as pictured by mail at no charge. Don't send the pictured PS until you have received the other one.

I would also state you would be happy to accept the return of the game if he brings it back and you will refund his $375.

You can't deal effectively with stupidity.

#11 10 years ago

All is well and we have talked via email about it some. If it wasn't for the fact my son was going to be away for 2 weeks I would have just had him pick up machine at my storage unit and not gotten over half way into fixing it for him.

As far as name of machine & other info I don't want to say because I don't want anyone here knowing who the buyer was. He was a good guy overall and I don't want to give him a bad name over a misunderstanding if people put one and one together.

Each transaction is unique and sometimes even the slightest misunderstandings become a huge issue. I just like to do the best I can to be as fair as I can with every customer.

Thanks!

#12 10 years ago

I think that you made an error in the first place. You should have told the guy when he was thinking of the game that if your son has time, you are going to do some work on the machine, so that the price may be different depending on what is done. Once you had worked on the machine, technically, it isnt the same machine, so you had no deal that required honoring. When he called and said that he wanted to come get the machine, you should have negotiated a deal at that time, and if he didnt take it, so be it.

#13 10 years ago

Was this the TZ I saw on Craig's list?

#14 10 years ago

ok, i'm the one who bought the cleo. This guy is portraying me as some kind of dick. wrong. i'm showing the whole exchange. make of it as you will:

Jerry,

No hard feelings on this end and if Wayne had a working power supply here you would have had one in the machine. When I said about "getting it up and running" I was talking about MPU - kind of a bad way to say things but that is what Wayne & I say when MPU works. Then after it is "up and running" he goes through the driver board next to get machine working 100%.

When we are fixing & shopping machines he does his part and I do my part. My job is moving them, cleaning & shopping them, and selling them. He does all the board work & electronics. This makes it kind of hard when selling machines as anything other than as-is or fully working.

I did learn something from this transaction with you. First off - never change out boards once picture is taken without explaining it was done and why. And second - take the extra 5 minutes to explain if something is different then in the pictures.

I was just concerned with that huge capacitor hitting ground on the one end and only having electrical tape between the wire & the bracket is was something that wasn't a good starting point. So I figured you were better off with something without the hacked capacitor.

Anyway - that power supply shouldn't take much to fix or replace and once that is done the machine should be 100% working. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I just wished you didn't have to make such a long drive but at least you did end up with two machines in one trip!

Later,
    Skip

Thank you for the explanation. That is all that was required. All that was said was that it was up and running and that He went over the power supply and tagged issues on the power board. Not that it was not the original. That little explanation would have gone a long way.

I Don’t mean to question your “good guy” status. But step back and look at it from my point. From an earlier email.

>> I actually paid $350 for the Cleopatra (and I know I over paid for
    >> that) so we are already selling that for less than we have into it.
    >> And now we have a couple hours work into just getting it up and
    >> running on top of taking a hit on it compared to what we paid for it.
    >> I didn't know which way you were going to want to go on that and
    >> since we had the time I talked Wayne into working on that yesterday
    >> to get MPU up and running. Machine still needs some work but at
    >> least as it stands it does work but since we already finalized things at $325 such is life.

No mention of swapping, and or bad supplies. So on getting there and the short explanation of swapping the supply out and back with a known good. And the fact that the board in there does not match with the other boards (you have to admit it the boards and head unit was surprisingly clean). It is only natural to question the whole thing. That is why I have emailed you and not hopped on the forums going off the deep end.

I am satisfied with the explanation and more than happy with the cleo. I hope that we can part in good standings and just chalk it up to not enough info and a reasonable misunderstanding.

Jerry

Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 4:33 PM
    To: Jerry Lindsay
    Subject: Re: Cleopatra

Jerry,

I took pictures of the machine to show you everything with the machine and you were back and forth between dates & if you wanted it for $400 working or $325 as a project. Wayne is headed on vacation for a couple weeks so when he had some free time last week I asked him to go through and see if he could get that machine up and running since I wasn't sure which way you wanted to buy it. Since I didn't know exactly when you were coming and if you wanted it for $400 working or $325 not working I figured it would be best to at least have him check it and get a head start on it.

So he went through it and found two major issues. The first was the MPU had that bad button on it and the second was power supply was totally dead. So when working on it he put a brand new power supply (his testing unit) in just to test things and got everything else working. Then he checked over the power supply that was in the machine and it was totally dead. So he told me he had a couple on the bench that were part way working he could put into the machine that would be better then the totally dead one. So I told him that would make sense because then at least you would have a good starting point.

If you want to cover shipping cost I would be more than happy to send you the totally dead power supply that was in the picture and you can return the part way working one he was nice enough to leave in the machine for you. Just goes to show it doesn't pay to try to be a nice guy I guess.

He fixed the MPU, installed a battery pack for you, went through all the switches & stuff for you and put a better power supply in than what was in the machine and you are unhappy because it wasn't the one in the picture. If you want that one I'll get it packed up and let you know what shipping cost will be. Then just send that other one back to me.

Crazy thing is not only did we do all the extra work on it but on top of it you only ended up paying $320 for it instead of $325. And you got a fully working machine that just needs minor work on power supply instead of a "project machine".

As far as all the other boards they were all salvageable so they are all the same ones that were in the picture. Sorry I didn't explain the power supply thing yesterday but we just figured part way working and tested was better than totally dead on that.

Skip

On 9/1/2013 3:31 PM, Jerry Lindsay wrote:
    Skip;

We have an issue. The non-working power supply that was in the unit was not the one that was in the pictures you sent. And this was the pictures of the boards before you had Wayne do any work. What is up with that? Knowing that we had agreed on a price of $325 before you had Wayne do anything on it. But now I am concerned about the other boards as well. Were any of the other boards swapped with non-working boards?

I am including the before and after pictures. As you can see it is def. Two different power boards. The original with Yellow Cap and the non- working swapped board with straight blue. Not to mention the general condition of the boards.

Waiting for a reply with patience,

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:31 PM

Subject: Re: Cleopatra & Raven

Jerry,

I fully understand as far as the Raven goes and you likely just made someone else very happy for sure because I have 2 or 3 other people after that machine if you decided to pass on it.

Our address is:. Be sure to use Drive and not Street or Lane because we have all 3 here in,

Cell number is

We are about 15 or 20 minutes passed. You will likely be coming in on Interstate and if that is the case we are just off exit
    47 about a mile. If you could give me a call when you get near I can head out to the garage and be waiting for you.

Thanks,
    Skip

On 8/29/2013 12:52 PM, wrote:
    Skip;

I'm going to pass on the Raven. From the picks it actually is in better shap then Ithought, even with the mylar bubbling on the playfield. That just means it should be pretty easy to remove.

I just can't swing the price for both machines. After factoring in everything it would just put me over the top. Thanks for the opportunity anyways on that one.

I'll be there Saturday to pick up the cleo though. For the agreed cash price of $325. I did spy it set up in one of the raven pictures, got me pretty excited.

So what I would need is the address and a phone number (in case I get lost). I'm hoping to be there around noonish. I'll be coming over from Stafford springs in CT. Staying at a relatives and a place where the daughter can stay. So a little hard to say the exact time. but once I'm on the road Ican call you later in the morning for a more definite time.

Jerry

---- Barb & Skip > wrote:
    Jerry,

I know Wayne will not go for $850 on the two machines because we are
    into them for more than that not including our time and parts.

I actually paid $350 for the Cleopatra (and I know I over paid for
    that) so we are already selling that for less than we have into it.
    And now we have a couple hours work into just getting it up and
    running on top of taking a hit on it compared to what we paid for it.
    I didn't know which way you were going to want to go on that and
    since we had the time I talked Wayne into working on that yesterday
    to get MPU up and running. Machine still needs some work but at
    least as it stands it does work but since we already finalized things at $325 such is life.

Raven is actually even worse. I paid $450 for that, plus board work
    or maybe even a replacement board (I don't remember), and have $25 to
    $40 into other pars & shopping it plus almost a full days labor into
    it. I have turned down $600 twice already on that and was hoping
    Wayne (my son who is actually the driving force behind this hobby for
    us) would be OK that I offered you the two machines for $950. I
    really doubt he will want to move off that price since we have not
    only a days work into it but also fuel cost to go get it.

On the average we make very little on machines we sell and just enjoy
    doing these as a hobby. But if we can't at least break even on them
    our wives will not stand still for us doing this for very long. So
    when selling machines - especially ones we have a lot of time into -
    we like to make at least $50 per machine on them. To do that on the
    Raven we need to be over $600 on that and that is how I came up with
    the $950 for the pair.

Really if you look at things from our direction I originally said
    $400 for the Cleopatra if we got it up and running for you so at $950
    for the pair we would already be giving our time & labor away on
    both. At $950 I doubt I have even covered our cost if I add in fuel
    & parts. And doing the math that way I am already reducing the price
    of the Raven by
    $100 to below our cost. I am just hoping Wayne does no stop and look
    at it that way.

I fully understand you having to stay with in a budget but I also
    know Wayne would kill me if I sold two machines for less than we have
    invested in them. Cleopatra was hard enough for me to talk him into
    letting go for less than invested and he was really pissed at me
    yesterday when I had him working on it for nothing when we have so
    much else to get done this Fall. But I really wanted to know what -
    if anything - it needed.

Later,
    Skip

On 8/27/2013 11:01 AMwrote:
    I measured the van and would be able to fit them, but honestly I think the wife would kill me if I brought the Panthera home.

The cleo is def sold. But if you guys can help on the price for both that and the raven I would be able to do it. The $950 is just outside of my budget considering the gas and hotel I'm going to have to do (not really your issue). I can do $850 and that is pretty much my ceiling. I understand the time and effort on your part.
    I really wanted an Egyptian themed pinball with Pharaoh at the top of the list but have had no luck on that. The cleo fits in good and I do like the artwork, that's why the very long round trip as I haven't found anything in Maine or the surrounding states. And two pins is always better then one. So let me know what can be worked out. and if you can work with me, if so then you can count on both sold this Saturday.

Looking forward to the pics on the raven anyways, ya was apprehensive about it as the reviews were pretty bad. But I did download it and try it on the virtual and play seems pretty good, some cool shots. But the virtuals are almost always way worse then the actual.

Jerry

---- Barb & Skip wrote:
    Jerry,

I can make it a little easier for you. Spiderman & Panthera are
    both wide bodies and not only are they wider than average pinball
    machine they are also 4 to 6 inches longer. So if you are tight on
    space I doubt you would want to consider either of those. And I am
    currently holding the Touchdown for one guy and have a second guy
    in line if the first guy doesn't take it once it is finished.

So basically it looks like Raven is the only machine on your "short
    list" that will fit and is also still available at this point. We
    are mostly finished with Raven and should be able to have it 100%
    before the weekend but for now it has a small hand full of silly
    little issues we still need to get finished.

Of the "issues" the biggest one is that the slingshots don't always
    score (likely dirty contact) and the backbox fluorecent tube is
    missing and one end of the fixture is broken (I should have both on
    a parts machine but have to dig them out) and a couple other silly
    little things. Nothing an hour or so shouldn't solve so we should
    be able to have it 100% by the weekend. We just keep working
    through machines as we have time and then fast track them if they
    sell before we are 100% finished with them.

We brought Cleopatra home from storage today and got that up and
    running but it also needs a few minor things taken care of. Main
    thing on Cleo is I did notice it has one more broken corner on a
    plastic I didn't see before so there are still going to be a couple
    chipped plastics on it and I still need to find that slingshot
    plastic I bought for it. So hopefully before the weekend we should
    be able to get that 100% working for you also.

I think my son would be OK with $950 for the two machines with Cleo
    up and running and all the little issues taken care of on Raven.
    Translite on the Raven has one split at the bottom part way covered
    over with arcades decal (from the past) and is pretty faded but it
    still OK. I could get some pictures off to you tomorrow but
    overall Raven is pretty nice and is fun to play. (Don't believe the
    ratings on that machine - it is much better playing game than it is
    rated)

I'll talk to my son tomorrow but I doubt he will want to go much
    cheaper on the pair just because of what we have invested in them.
    But for now I will say I will do the best I can for you as far as
    both price and giving you the best machines I can.

Thanks,
    Skip

PS - Saturday is fine on this end if it ends up being Saturday

On 8/26/2013 10:10 PM, Jerry Lindsay wrote:
    Skip,

Looks like it will be Saturday. I'll let you know 100% tomorrow.

Also been thinking, how about a combo deal? Throwing out the idea, I think I can get two in the van and still have a place for the kiddo on the way home.

So the ideas following:

Option 1 = Cleo + raven
    Option 2 = cleo + touchdown
    Option 3 = Cleo + Panthera (this one is a stretch cause the panth is a wide body correct? Might not be able to finagle the fitting in the van with one of the middle row seats up for Izzy.
    Option 4 = cleo and spidy

At this point don't worry about shopping or board work. I can take care of it. Just thinking about doubling up since it is such a long drive, save money where I can.

Jerry

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:31 PM
    To: Jerry

Jerry,

Pretty much any time should work on our end so just let me know
    once you figure things out. If you prefer a working machine at
    $400 there is a good chance we could have that done this coming
    week but I wouldn't want to promise that. But I sure don't mind
    trying if you prefer picking it up as working 100% for the $400

As things stand this coming week we will have at lest two or three days we will be working on machines. We don't have anything that has to be finished so we could squeeze that Cleopatra in this week if you would like us to do that for you.

Later,
    Skip

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

All is well and we have talked via email about it some. If it wasn't for the fact my son was going to be away for 2 weeks I would have just had him pick up machine at my storage unit and not gotten over half way into fixing it for him.
    As far as name of machine & other info I don't want to say because I don't want anyone here knowing who the buyer was. He was a good guy overall and I don't want to give him a bad name over a misunderstanding if people put one and one together.
    Each transaction is unique and sometimes even the slightest misunderstandings become a huge issue. I just like to do the best I can to be as fair as I can with every customer.
    Thanks!

Sounds like it was just a misunderstanding. As long as you are both good, that is all that matters.

#16 10 years ago

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from harbngr:

ok, i'm the one who bought the cleo. This guy is portraying me as some kind of dick. wrong. i'm showing the whole exchange. make of it as you will:
    Jerry,
    No hard feelings on this end and if Wayne had a working power supply here you would have had one in the machine. When I said about "getting it up and running" I was talking about MPU - kind of a bad way to say things but that is what Wayne & I say when MPU works. Then after it is "up and running" he goes through the driver board next to get machine working 100%.
    When we are fixing & shopping machines he does his part and I do my part. My job is moving them, cleaning & shopping them, and selling them. He does all the board work & electronics. This makes it kind of hard when selling machines as anything other than as-is or fully working.
    I did learn something from this transaction with you. First off - never change out boards once picture is taken without explaining it was done and why. And second - take the extra 5 minutes to explain if something is different then in the pictures.
    I was just concerned with that huge capacitor hitting ground on the one end and only having electrical tape between the wire & the bracket is was something that wasn't a good starting point. So I figured you were better off with something without the hacked capacitor.
    Anyway - that power supply shouldn't take much to fix or replace and once that is done the machine should be 100% working. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I just wished you didn't have to make such a long drive but at least you did end up with two machines in one trip!
    Later,
    Skip
    Thank you for the explanation. That is all that was required. All that was said was that it was up and running and that He went over the power supply and tagged issues on the power board. Not that it was not the original. That little explanation would have gone a long way.
    I Don’t mean to question your “good guy” status. But step back and look at it from my point. From an earlier email.
    >> least as it stands it does work but since we already finalized things at $325 such is life.
    No mention of swapping, and or bad supplies. So on getting there and the short explanation of swapping the supply out and back with a known good. And the fact that the board in there does not match with the other boards (you have to admit it the boards and head unit was surprisingly clean). It is only natural to question the whole thing. That is why I have emailed you and not hopped on the forums going off the deep end.
    I am satisfied with the explanation and more than happy with the cleo. I hope that we can part in good standings and just chalk it up to not enough info and a reasonable misunderstanding.
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    I took pictures of the machine to show you everything with the machine and you were back and forth between dates & if you wanted it for $400 working or $325 as a project. Wayne is headed on vacation for a couple weeks so when he had some free time last week I asked him to go through and see if he could get that machine up and running since I wasn't sure which way you wanted to buy it. Since I didn't know exactly when you were coming and if you wanted it for $400 working or $325 not working I figured it would be best to at least have him check it and get a head start on it.
    So he went through it and found two major issues. The first was the MPU had that bad button on it and the second was power supply was totally dead. So when working on it he put a brand new power supply (his testing unit) in just to test things and got everything else working. Then he checked over the power supply that was in the machine and it was totally dead. So he told me he had a couple on the bench that were part way working he could put into the machine that would be better then the totally dead one. So I told him that would make sense because then at least you would have a good starting point.
    If you want to cover shipping cost I would be more than happy to send you the totally dead power supply that was in the picture and you can return the part way working one he was nice enough to leave in the machine for you. Just goes to show it doesn't pay to try to be a nice guy I guess.
    He fixed the MPU, installed a battery pack for you, went through all the switches & stuff for you and put a better power supply in than what was in the machine and you are unhappy because it wasn't the one in the picture. If you want that one I'll get it packed up and let you know what shipping cost will be. Then just send that other one back to me.
    Crazy thing is not only did we do all the extra work on it but on top of it you only ended up paying $320 for it instead of $325. And you got a fully working machine that just needs minor work on power supply instead of a "project machine".
    As far as all the other boards they were all salvageable so they are all the same ones that were in the picture. Sorry I didn't explain the power supply thing yesterday but we just figured part way working and tested was better than totally dead on that.
    Skip
    Skip;
    We have an issue. The non-working power supply that was in the unit was not the one that was in the pictures you sent. And this was the pictures of the boards before you had Wayne do any work. What is up with that? Knowing that we had agreed on a price of $325 before you had Wayne do anything on it. But now I am concerned about the other boards as well. Were any of the other boards swapped with non-working boards?
    I am including the before and after pictures. As you can see it is def. Two different power boards. The original with Yellow Cap and the non- working swapped board with straight blue. Not to mention the general condition of the boards.
    Jerry
    To: [email protected]
    Jerry,
    I fully understand as far as the Raven goes and you likely just made someone else very happy for sure because I have 2 or 3 other people after that machine if you decided to pass on it.
    Our address is:. Be sure to use Drive and not Street or Lane because we have all 3 here in,
    Cell number is
    We are about 15 or 20 minutes passed. You will likely be coming in on Interstate and if that is the case we are just off exit
    47 about a mile. If you could give me a call when you get near I can head out to the garage and be waiting for you.
    Thanks,
    Skip
    On 8/29/2013 12:52 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    Skip;
    I'm going to pass on the Raven. From the picks it actually is in better shap then Ithought, even with the mylar bubbling on the playfield. That just means it should be pretty easy to remove.
    I just can't swing the price for both machines. After factoring in everything it would just put me over the top. Thanks for the opportunity anyways on that one.
    I'll be there Saturday to pick up the cleo though. For the agreed cash price of $325. I did spy it set up in one of the raven pictures, got me pretty excited.
    So what I would need is the address and a phone number (in case I get lost). I'm hoping to be there around noonish. I'll be coming over from Stafford springs in CT. Staying at a relatives and a place where the daughter can stay. So a little hard to say the exact time. but once I'm on the road Ican call you later in the morning for a more definite time.
    Jerry
    ---- Barb & Skip <[email protected]> wrote:
    Jerry,
    least as it stands it does work but since we already finalized things at $325 such is life.
    the $950 for the pair.
    of the Raven by
    at it that way.
    if anything - it needed.
    Later,
    Skip
    On 8/27/2013 11:01 AM, [email protected] wrote:
    I measured the van and would be able to fit them, but honestly I think the wife would kill me if I brought the Panthera home.
    The cleo is def sold. But if you guys can help on the price for both that and the raven I would be able to do it. The $950 is just outside of my budget considering the gas and hotel I'm going to have to do (not really your issue). I can do $850 and that is pretty much my ceiling. I understand the time and effort on your part.
    I really wanted an Egyptian themed pinball with Pharaoh at the top of the list but have had no luck on that. The cleo fits in good and I do like the artwork, that's why the very long round trip as I haven't found anything in Maine or the surrounding states. And two pins is always better then one. So let me know what can be worked out. and if you can work with me, if so then you can count on both sold this Saturday.
    Looking forward to the pics on the raven anyways, ya was apprehensive about it as the reviews were pretty bad. But I did download it and try it on the virtual and play seems pretty good, some cool shots. But the virtuals are almost always way worse then the actual.
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    I can make it a little easier for you. spiderman & Panthera are
    rated)
    Thanks,
    Skip
    Skip,
    Also been thinking, how about a combo deal? Throwing out the idea, I think I can get two in the van and still have a place for the kiddo on the way home.
    So the ideas following:
    Option 1 = Cleo + raven
    Option 3 = Cleo + Panthera (this one is a stretch cause the panth is a wide body correct? Might not be able to finagle the fitting in the van with one of the middle row seats up for Izzy.
    At this point don't worry about shopping or board work. I can take care of it. Just thinking about doubling up since it is such a long drive, save money where I can.
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    As things stand this coming week we will have at lest two or three days we will be working on machines. We don't have anything that has to be finished so we could squeeze that Cleopatra in this week if you would like us to do that for you.
    Later,
    Skip

Or maybe Not!

Seriously I didn't read all that.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from harbngr:

Jerry,
    Later,
    Skip
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    Skip
    Skip;
    Jerry
    To: [email protected]
    Jerry,
    Cell number is
    Thanks,
    Skip
    On 8/29/2013 12:52 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    Skip;
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    the $950 for the pair.
    of the Raven by
    at it that way.
    if anything - it needed.
    Later,
    Skip
    On 8/27/2013 11:01 AM, [email protected] wrote:
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    I can make it a little easier for you. spiderman & Panthera are
    rated)
    Thanks,
    Skip
    Skip,
    So the ideas following:
    Option 1 = Cleo + raven
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    Later,
    Skip

I didn't think you were a dick from his post. I thought he didn't cover his bases well. Now you printed a personal conversation with him on the Internet including his email address multiple times. My opinion has changed. .

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I didn't think you were a dick from his post. I thought he didn't cover his bases well. Now you printed a personal conversation with him on the Internet including his email address multiple times. My opinion has changed. .

Point taken, but really was the only way to present a valid case and not a back and forth he said/ he said.

I thought the whole thing resolved between us, until I saw this thread.

#20 10 years ago

Typing that Penny Dreadful wouldn't be worth 325 to me.

#21 10 years ago

From reading the poll questions it doesn't sound like the seller was 'over it' when he wrote the post. To the OP, work things out with your customers next time, it doesn't help to come on here seeking empathy... that won't let you sleep better at night. Keep these things between you and your customers.

Honestly, it doesn't make you look like a good seller. After reading a few of your 'what would you do with this problem customer' threads that you have created it would make me shy about being a future customer in the event that I'd be dragged out.

#22 10 years ago

He didn't say who you were and even went out of his way to keep you anonymous. You chose to out yourself and post a private conversation.

#23 10 years ago

If you look at any post I have made I NEVER drag anyone into these post by name. Every time I have any kind of issue I am always looking for a better way to do things so it doesn't happen again. So I ask what other would do and take that information in to consideration on how to do things better.

Jerry is a great guy that got a great deal on a good pin. I was probably in the wrong when I told him we got MPU up and running and all looked good with MPU. At the time I wasn't sure where things stood with power supply, driver board, etc but when working on System 1 machines I never worry about any of that stuff. Good spider chips on MPU are my main concern.

Totally my fault I didn't explain it better but after all I was selling a project machine and just wanted things to be as good as possible. The power supply in the picture had capacitor shorted to ground because they hacked an oversize capacitor on to the power supply and I didn't feel right selling it that way so I change it to a better one. End of story!

I am not looking for anything from anyone other than how I can improve things in the future. I want 100% of my customers to be 100% happy and that is a high standard to try to meet.

As far as the poll questions - again I just wanted to see how others handled things or would handle things. It wasn't an attack on Jerry or anyone else!

#24 10 years ago

You guys need to take a breather and understand something. It's all about perception.
    OP was doing a solid and got slammed for it.
    The buyer, on the other hand, legitimately thought he got screwed. The pin he bought wasn't what was pictured.
    I get both sides and can't fault either person.

In MY opinion, the OP should send the buyer the power supply that was in the picture, that doesn't work. Hopefully, the buyer will recognize there are lots of new parts in there and post a "great doing business with this guy -you can trust him" post on the website (if there is one).

Of course, I could be off. There's no way in Hell I'm going to spend the time reading all of the correspondence emails that's now included in the thread.

#25 10 years ago

I think that as the seller, if I had changed anything at all on a machine, that I would have made someone aware prior to buying. Especially if they had looked at some pics and agreed upon a price.

"Hey buyer, you took too long to make the decision and now the machine has changed. Here are the changes/new pics and new price."

#26 10 years ago

poll: Am I in the wrong? Are buyers expectations too high?

I don't have any opinion that matters in this instance, I probably shouldn't have posted one. But from the title of your poll and the questions in the poll you make it clear that none of this is your fault. There is nothing in your transaction that the rest of us need to know about, the issue is between you and your customer. You are interested in making future transactions better, then figure out how to make your last transaction. The only way to do that is by talking it over with your customer.

We're not going to hear both sides from you, even as unbiased as you try to be (and I believe you wouldn't and haven't attacked anyone, I apologize for sounding like I'm against you) it's just one side of a transaction. How can we possibly help you to improve things in the future when we only hear one side. Not that we even need to know both sides, again.. you'll find that working it out with your customer is the best way to improve future transactions.

I like what you're doing, offering amazing deals on pins and letting others take home machines that you have spent years acquiring. You obviously have a big heart and don't want to take advantage of anyone from reading your other posts.

#27 10 years ago

To explain again what happened - we fixed a machine beyond what we had agreed on in original transaction at our own risk. We didn't expect anything in return we just did that because we had a little extra time.

We found the power supply had an over sized capacitor hacked on to it shorted to ground and put a better power supply on to the machine but that still needed some work. Buyer misunderstood one of my emails and then felt shortchanged because machine didn't have a fully working power supply and power supply was different than one in original picture of machine.

I see both sides and I am very sorry for the misunderstanding. I sold the machine as a project and should have never tried to make it better than what it was in the pictures. Live & learn!

#28 10 years ago

Don1,

As far as us selling off pins right now at "amazing deals" we are involved in a ton of around the house projects this year so I sat down and talked to my son & we decided instead of sitting on 28 machines in storage for a year or so till we had time to work on them we would just sell them off and buy more down the road when we have more time.

These machines are not part of our collection - they are just excess projects we picked up along the way. If they all sell and we don't buy any more machines we still have all the ones we wanted to keep anyway. I just couldn't put any logic in paying storage rent for a year until we had a chance to get to these and fix them up.

With 17 of 22 machines sold in a week I guess I had them priced to sell. Now all I need to do is get 4 or 5 more sold and I can get storage rent behind me.

Back to this post - thanks to everyone for their replies. Maybe I jumped the gun a little with this post but that is why I didn't want to give any specifics. I am just always trying to do the "right thing".

#29 10 years ago

Don't see why this had to be made into a thread? I don't think any of the emails were nasty it was just a misunderstanding? The seller should have let the buyer know about the changes at the pick up, the buyer asked about the changes in what seemed a polite manner, had it explained and they seemed all good. Don't know why this needs a thread? Also it's bad form to post private exchanges and really bad form to post email addresses.

#30 10 years ago

Good god over a $325 game : o
    This is when pinball is way to Fn serious and you should go out drinking...

#31 10 years ago

Refund him half of his money and tell him to never call you again. 350 dollars is nothing these days and it is not worth going crazy over. He will in the future realize what a dick he is, and that will be your payback. I am getting tired of these childish people. If they can't afford the hobby get the f out.

#32 10 years ago

Oh Jesus. Dont' you know the short answer to all your customer service problems is Hookers & Blow?

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

Oh Jesus. Dont' you know the short answer to all your customer service problems is Hookers and Blow?

Now thats what I am talking about. Someone has finally come to there senses.

#34 10 years ago

Posting a personal email, which is now here live and should likely be removed/edited out by a moderator (calling mods here) isn't cool though. While posting the conversation was a way of 'clearing up' what went on behind the scenes, blanking out personal e-mail should be a no brainer.

#35 10 years ago

To explain again what happened - we fixed a machine beyond what we had agreed on in original transaction at our own risk. We didn't expect anything in return we just did that because we had a little extra time.
    We found the power supply had an over sized capacitor hacked on to it shorted to ground and put a better power supply on to the machine but that still needed some work. Buyer misunderstood one of my emails and then felt shortchanged because machine didn't have a fully working power supply and power supply was different than one in original picture of machine.
    I see both sides and I am very sorry for the misunderstanding. I sold the machine as a project and should have never tried to make it better than what it was in the pictures. Live & learn!

I think the lesson learned is 'communication' as always Even your innocent 'improvement' can look negative when someone doesn't have the full story and just sees a 'switcher-roo' without knowing why/how the parts were swapped. If that info was known ahead of time.. never would have been an issue.

#36 10 years ago

A $325 game might not be a lot to some people and so on but I get what the buyer is talking about here. If I drove 450 miles to get a game, I come home and noticed a board is different from the pics, I would question things too. What else changed? Why? Especially with no explanation.

If I was the seller I would mail him the original non working board (that was in the pic), apologize for the confusion (that I accidentally created), and be done with it.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from dankme:

A $325 game might not be a lot to some people and so on but I get what the buyer is talking about here. If I drove 450 miles to get a game, I come home and noticed a board is different from the pics, I would question things too. What else changed? Why? Especially with no explanation.
    If I was the seller I would mail him the original non working board (that was in the pic), apologize for the confusion (that I accidentally created), and be done with it.

Absolutly

#38 10 years ago

Totally my fault I didn't explain it better...

Buyer misunderstood one of my emails...

Sounds like a communication problem.

I am not looking for anything from anyone other than how I can improve things in the future.

Don't do business via email. If you can't meet face to face, pick up a phone. Email is one dimensional and often leaves things open to interpretation. The human voice communicates more than just information. Email for an address or phone number only. Phone or face to face for all other business conversations.

The added benefit is that you won't have your emails and email address posted online for all to see, as has happened in this thread.

#39 10 years ago

Guys - thanks for all the input on this one. Please do not bash the buyer - all he did was ask about why the power supply wasn't the one in the picture of the machine I sent him.

When he was here picking up the machine yesterday I tried to explain quickly where things were at with it but didn't tell him why we had pulled the dead power supply out and put a better one in it when we did the other board work on the machine. He had driven almost 7 hours already and had another 7 hours to drive after he was loaded & hit the road. So I tried to talk as little as possible to keep him moving. (Very out of character for me - I love to talk).

When he got home he looked at the original pictures of machine and asked why he didn't get the "original" power supply that was in the machine. He thought he might have gotten shortchanged compared to what he was suppose to be getting. He didn't realize I had changed it because it was totally dead. If anyone wants to see some close up pictures of how NOT to install a capacitor I would be happy to post the hack of the day that was in this machine.

Anyway - I wish he would have not put his post up with my email address & his name in it. This post WASN'T intended to be personal - I just wanted to figure out a "better way" for next time. When he read the post I guess he took it as a personal attack. If it was a personal attack I would have given the name of the machine and people could have filled in the blanks.

And for the couple of people who have said "post like this don't belong here". Post like this are what should be here. People helping people how to make pinball transactions better are always a good thing. What we don't need is 134 post about WOZ or 78 post about why MM is rated so high.

Think about the purpose of these forums. They should be pinball people helping pinball people not all talk about look at my latest LED lights or guess what I just bought!

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Or maybe Not!
    Seriously I didn't read all that.

Either did I

#41 10 years ago

Ok, time to move on.

#42 10 years ago

To the buyer- I think you misread this as an attack on you. YOU knew he was talking about you, but no one else did since no game or names were said. I'd edit/remove the emails, no need to post that.

#43 10 years ago

I would refund and let him move on. Sell to someone else for more $ as its fixed now.

#44 10 years ago

(Very out of character for me - I love to talk).blockquote>

I resemble that remark!

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

.... I'd edit/remove the emails, no need to post that.

He removed the email addresses at least. It would be good if the people that quoted the post would do the same.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

He removed the email addresses at least. It would be good if the people that quoted the post would do the same.

That's good, but the mods need to edit the quoted posts also.

#47 10 years ago

wow, lot of drama over $325 pin. Sounds like simple mis-communication , neither party seems to wronged . Would have been best/easily solved with a simple phone call. Would never have problem in future dealing with seller from info contained here. Best of luck to both moving forward.

#48 10 years ago

Thanks to all who replied to this post. My point of the original post was just to see how others would have maybe done something differently to help me with future sales. A lot of people who read the post and replied (including the buyer) read too much into the post.

I wasn't complaining about the buyer & we got everything resolved quickly with a quick couple emails but since it happen I am just looking on how to keep if from happening again. I am always trying to learn from past experiences and I did learn from this one also.

THANKS ALL!
    Skip

#50 10 years ago

1) don't give people options
    2) don't discuss personal transactions online
    3) always take the high road, and you won't have to ask anyone's advice ever again.

i will now spend the next 6.5min of my labor day scrolling back to the top of this thread.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unhappy-customer-what-would-you-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.