(Topic ID: 251237)

Unfair advantages of other cities vs more remote leagues for points.

By TechnicalSteam

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by plankalkul
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    ricflair (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TechnicalSteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I really got to thinking about IFPA points and wondered how some people in different states and cities can fairly compete
    with one another.

In states where there are higher ranked players and more population IFPA gives more points for these events while other
    regions with low population of players do not.

How can we honestly compare Ohio vs Oklahoma, St. Louis, MO vs Springfield, MO. In these examples we compare
    two states with very different player population densities. Let's say IFPA #1 individual played in both cities. He would
    receive much lower points for his efforts in the low pinball player area vas the high population pinball area.

How is this fair? How can you truly say this person is top ranked player in role merely on his ability to compete against
    people in a more densely populated area vs another.

What could be done to make a more fair system where players can compete ?

#3 4 years ago

Would seem ranking system with weighted system to enable people in other regions a fair shake.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Why? They get their fair shake. If your state is "easy," then win the state champ and move on to nationals. Head to Papa and Pinburgh and other big events.
    Competitive pinball is a sport, and like other sports it involves traveling and a bunch of shit that isn't "easy" on people; just the way it is.

So people with Wealth and Entitlement - Get the Advantage.
    Soon we will need sponsorships just to get a shot at playing in top 100.

Let's say there is a way to buy points through Charitable giving. I've heard of said loophole from others. You can rack up points simply by buying these tickets rinse and repeat.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

The charity loophole was closed years ago. Just need to build up and get attendance in smaller cities or regions. We have had a bigger issue in our state with a particular location cheating, or as they phrased it to me "manipulating" the rules for the sake of their players. The bottom line is it's an arbitrary ranking system, those players eventually have to play the best and beat them if they want to really have that sense of accomplishment. As Ric Flair said "To be the man, you got to beat the man, Wooo!"

This is happening a lot. People Capping events in specific region. They invite 40x players with x amount of points. Then advertise it publically after they already capped out. Now these 40x players have a unfair advantage over folks outside of this specific region. This capped event didn't include folks from other cities or only select people. Now this eleet group of 40x players has a advantage over everyone else in region.

Or the tried and true small group of preplay cheets that exist in most every league. I've seen this happen more times than I can count. Usually same people or groups of people that either just write down a score close to the season high average. Or plunk in multiple quarters until they score high enough and write that down. If no one monitors preplays whats the point. With that logic I ought to be able to preplay tournament or events.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Insert image of Keith Elwin here and you pretty much ain't shit until you can take him down...which I don't really see anyone doing any time soon.[quoted image]

Happened last week at Cleveland I heard.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Says the guy with 20 nice pins in his collection!

Sadly I rarely get a chance to play them or anyone else for that matter. It's insanity that has come to an end for now until I get Alice Cooper.. haha

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Doing it at Pinburgh is mostly what I was thinking. I don't think there is a better test of all-around pinball skill than that tournament.

I was impressed with pinburg! Great event. It has some minor issues such as selling out in 1 minute. What if I was a top player who had an internet outage that day or family emergency. I'd have to wait. Guess it's good they have the other event.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Tournaments have players capped for practical reasons. You can only do a tournament in a reasonable amount of time based on having X amount of machines.
    Leagues aren't worth much points in general, so no one really cares about that low level cheating.

We should care. What if those players are playing 2x or 3x leagues a week. Those points add up in point desserts like MO.
    If I added up all the events in MO would they equate to the same points you could earn in Ohio or Pennsylvania?

Is there a finite amount of points that can be earned in a region. Then one region would NOT have an advantage over another.

If regions were capped with a max points avail and had to plan accordingly with events.

Are the regions points weighted at the end of year. Like St. Louis vs Kansas City. Or even locally lets say Beer League 1 Vs Beer League 2.
    Seems that each league should have same value and then latter up into a city championship of top 10 League players vs other league

#33 4 years ago

Wonder if anyone has made infographics for IFPA results. Love to see where the top 100 players originate from. Is there a
    specific location that spawns better players or just higher ranked players?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TechnicalSteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unfair-advantages-of-other-cities-vs-more-remote-leagues-for-points?tu=TechnicalSteam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.