(Topic ID: 258350)

Understanding the obsession with Patina (Post pics!)

By mrm_4

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mrm_4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6484F9D6-3F3D-4D5E-9E59-1EA4F8E6BA88 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

I noticed 3 things with older machines that I see people say is patina but I don’t agree with all of them.

1. Neglect called “wear and tear”
    I never understood people’s obsession with wear and tear. To me that’s just a reminder that a previous owner didn’t take proper care of it or abused it. Whether it’s from not waxing it regularly, not storing in a controlled climate, or not changing out the ball when needed. But time and time again I read people calling this “Patina” and defending it.

2. Natural aging
    Some aspects of it look good like natural aging of colors from UV, the oils from your skin wearing away finishes at the flipper areas over 50+ years, and so on. This is something I actually like.

3. Abuse is “History”
    To me abuse on route is not worthy of saying its history. Here’s an example: If you just found a machine from the 60s, let’s say it was mint. You Invite your buddy over to play, mid game you step away grab a drink and come back to see your perfect machine has a giant scratch and dent on the side because his kid wanted to watch his dad play and slid a chair over to the game and slammed it into the cab. You’d be pissed....but magically if that happened before you got the game it’s now a “battle scar of history” that is sought after.

Ok now that I opened it up, what would you describe as patina?
    Is it as precious as we make it out to be?
    Also I’d like to see some pics of machines with true patina that make me feel bad for restoring my old games to look like new!

#2 4 years ago

i think the majority of "wear and tear" isnt so much neglect but more to do so with the machine trading hands more like bumps and bruises.
    i would like to think too there are at least 4 areas where one probably prioritizes what is "Acceptable" ( besides the machine functioning properly ). To some the fact the game functions 100 % is their only concern. Otherwise, Playfield , backglass plastics and cabinet are where one would be concerned. I myself put cabinet the least of concern unless it has been painted over . I do have a Big Brave where the graphics are intact and not many marks on the art but it was varnished and has gone to a very nicotene looking cabinet. That i definately would like to address some day. Varnish anything always seems to come back to haunt as it does yellow over time . It wasnt so much neglect or abuse. the owner did try to preserve something taking the time but ignorance to what happens with its aging gives cause to remedy it . I wouldnt consider that "patina" in any event.

#3 4 years ago

Like you said, patina amounts to accumulated neglect, abuse, accidents, friction damage and oxidation. For whatever reason, some folks are attracted to this type of wear and tear. To each their own, I guess.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Like you said, patina amounts to accumulated neglect, abuse, accidents, friction damage and oxidation. For whatever reason, some folks are attracted to this type of wear and tear. To each their own, I guess.

Yeah I agree. People like what they like.
    Would be interested in seeing some pics that would be good examples of patina though.
    Where’s that “textbook” example?

#5 4 years ago

To me a machine that was built to be in a public place looks better with a little wear & tear on it from years of being enjoyed. Not totally trashed, not a playfield worn to the wood in places the needs a good cleaning and shop job but stuff like a little paint wear around flippers or a few high scores carved into the side of the cabinet etc.

If you have a million dollar house with a high end gameroom then HEP machines likely make more sense for you. But I don't mind machines showing a little "road rash" in our collection.

With that said I don't like big chunks out of cabinets, bent up coin doors, lots of planking or sun fade etc. But my machines don't need to be perfect either. If a machine has a nice backglass, looks good from the front, and doesn't have a ton of playfield wear they are perfect to me.

These is a fine line between a machine that has been abused & trashed and a machine showing a little wear from being played in public places for years. I think that line varies for each collector

#6 4 years ago

Patina is good for Colonial Furniture (to a point), guitars (as long as its real and not relic) and cars with original paint (not fake rust stains sprayed on). I don't like patina pinball, its usually Tar from a million smokes, drink spills that got past the beer seal, worn to the wood players and impossible to duplicate complicated playfield graphics.
    I have seen a lot of woodrails that have nice patina, in the,duh,wood.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I have seen a lot of woodrails that have nice patina, in the,duh,wood.

Yes I agree with this. When I rebuilt my flipperless cabinet I decided to sawzall the original wood rails off the old rotted cab and transferred them to the new.

6484F9D6-3F3D-4D5E-9E59-1EA4F8E6BA88 (resized).jpeg6484F9D6-3F3D-4D5E-9E59-1EA4F8E6BA88 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/understanding-the-obsession-with-patina-post-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.