(Topic ID: 107595)

Understanding logic probe results

By jimy_speedt

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

probe 1.JPG
    probe 7.JPG
    probe 6.JPG
    probe 4.JPG
    probe 5.JPG
    probe 3.JPG
    probe 2.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Hi,

I am a bit confused. I do not know much in pure electronics and I have problems understanding logic probe results.

First of all, commanded lamps on the backbox are no longer working on my JokerZ! I see that the column of the lamp matrix is driven by Q52. I checked Q52, Q51, the 27ohm resistor, the continuity from the IC. Everyting is alright. So now, I want to check that the output pin 8 of U52 gives a signal when the CPU activates the transistor.

I expected the logic probe to give me only a high OR a low value when checking input and output pins. On this logic probe, there are lights and sounds for the interpretation the signal. I get different signal types
    - logic: when a single light (high or low) + continuous sound come
    - square wave ? : when one or both lights come + sound with frequency.

My pin 8 check shows both lights on, with frequency sound (not continuous), meaning square wave (?).

At this point I am lost and a simple explanation would be more than welcome.

Thank you very much

#2 9 years ago

You need to ensure you are using the appropriate setting (TTL/CMOS) and that the 5v AND gnd clips are connected to the proper reference sources. It should give you a constant pulsing when the output is floating or infinite resistance.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I connected my cocodile clips on the TPs of the power supply board. Red on +5vdc. Set to ttl. Whatever mem or pulse setting, I get the same result

#4 9 years ago

The column signal is pulsed so it sounds like you are getting the correct reading. When in doubt just compare the reading to another working reading--in this case another column.

#5 9 years ago

I notice, for the 3 other outputs on u52 and the 4 of u53 (columns),that the signal is low with frequency sound. For pin 8 of u52, I have both low and high displayed.Does it mean anything ?

#6 9 years ago

Every logic probe works slightly different. All the columns, when active, should read the same, so if the one reads different that's likely your problem.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, do you suggest I change the IC ?

#8 9 years ago

U52 is an AND gate. If pin 9 and 10 are high then 8 should be high. Pin 9 will be a pulsed signal, so when it pulses high, pin 8 should pulse high (of course presuming that 10 is high). You can compare this to strobe 7, which would be pins 11, 12 and 13. Do all of the testing while in all lamp test.

Your probe really doesn't seem to work the way mine (and I have several) would in this situation. What make and model is the logic probe and can you post the manual (or point to it on the web).

#9 9 years ago

Here are the pictures you requested. There are many but I reduced the resolution and size.

Note: measures of U52 in test all lamp mode and attract mode are the same, and do not vary. Also same results, whether I set to CMOS or TTL, pulse or Mem.

Pictures:
    - On the DMM, you can see the voltage given to the probe.
    - A picture of the probe itself and the specs.
    - Measures: on pins 8,9,10, I respectively get high+low, high+low, high (red, continuous sound) leds. On 11,12,13, I get low (green, sound not continuous), high+low, high leds. Same for 1,2,3 and 4,5,6. All these results do not vary during the lamp test. Lights of Strobe 7 works fine although the output pin 11 shows low.
    This is why I doubt my way of measuring is valid. For strobe 7, which works fine, why do I not get two high as input and high as output when the playfield lamps are lit ? I.e. Jackpot lamp.

probe 1.JPGprobe 1.JPG
    probe 2.JPGprobe 2.JPG
    probe 3.JPGprobe 3.JPG
    probe 4.JPGprobe 4.JPG
    probe 5.JPGprobe 5.JPG
    probe 6.JPGprobe 6.JPG
    probe 7.JPGprobe 7.JPG

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

On 11,12,13, I get low (green, sound not continuous), high+low, high leds.

Are you sure that pin 11 is not reading narrow high pulse (the green led blinking very rapidly). That would be the expected output based on the two inputs.

Quoted from jimy_speedt:

For strobe 7, which works fine, why do I not get two high as input and high as output when the playfield lamps are lit ? I.e. Jackpot lamp.

Other than the blanking signal, which will always be high, the other input and the output are going to be pulsed signals. While the lamps look like they are "on" they are actually pulsed at 500pps. So other than blanking you should not read a high as the other input or the output.

In any case it sounds like the IC is not functioning properly.

#11 9 years ago

Yes, pin 11 is narrow high pulse according to your description. What a high input combined with a pulse makes a repeated low output ?
    What is the blanking signal ?
    What makes you think it is not working normally?

Sorry for being that ignorant, you help is really valuable for my understanding

Thank you

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Sorry for being that ignorant, you help is really valuable for my understanding.

No problem, always happy to help someone who wants to learn as they fix their machine.

Basically the blanking circuit is there to prevent solenoids, flashlamps, controlled lamps, etc. from coming on if the CPU doesn't boot up properly. So when you first turn on the game the blanking circuit is low and after the CPU boots up (2-3 seconds), the blanking circuit goes high. This then enables the flashlamps, etc.

Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Measures: on pins 8,9,10, I respectively get high+low, high+low, high (red, continuous sound) leds. On 11,12,13, I get low (green, sound not continuous), high+low, high leds. Same for 1,2,3 and 4,5,6. All these results do not vary during the lamp test. Lights of Strobe 7 works fine although the output pin 11 shows low.

So in your case pins 8, 9 and 10 read as I would expect a working circuit to read. The blanking circuit (pin 10) is high, pin 9 is high+low and the output on pin 8 will exactly match the input on pin 9 (high+low).

On the other hand the other circuits don't appear to be correct--high+low input and a narrow high pulsed output. Again the input and output should match since the blanking circuit is always high.

Although I don't have a lot of system 11 experience, I do know how an AND chip works. I'm not sure why you're getting the readings you are: the circuits that work give bad readings and the one that doesn't work gives what I would consider a good reading. Without having the board in front of me I'm at a loss at this point to explain what you're seeing.

The only reason I point at the IC is because the circuit that doesn't work reads differently than all the working circuits. Honestly at this point I would throw a scope on the circuit, but I presume that's not an option.

FYI - The mem/pulse switch should be on pulse and the ttl/cmos switch should be on ttl when testing 5 volt circuits and the switch on cmos when testing 12 volt circuits (in this case you would also connect the red lead to a 12 volt source).

If you compare strobe 7 and strobe 8 at the connector (this would be using the cmos setting) what do you see?

Here's the 7408 datasheet, click on the download link and the PDF will include a truth table for the AND gate which may help explain how it works.

http://www.electroschematics.com/8891/7408-datasheet/

#13 9 years ago

I've asked barakandl to jump in and see if there's something I'm missing.

#14 9 years ago

Just had another thought. With your DMM check the voltages on all of U52's pins (DC setting).

#15 9 years ago

Hello Terryb,

First of all, don't be surprised if we have only a short online period in common every day. I live in Belgium and there might be 6 to 7 hours lag.

Thank you for the explanation. For the AND/NAND/OR/NOR etc ... I learned that a long time ago, but it is still in my memory.

Regarding the connector for checking strobe 7 and 8, which connector are you referring to ? Cmos setting, you said, are you talking about 1J7 (after the transistor) ? Or the one coming from the interconnect board ?

#16 9 years ago

I would check the voltage on all of the U52 pins first. We could have a low voltage giving some flaky readings on the logic probe. That's really the point of going to an oscilloscope so that you can see both voltage and pulses.

#17 9 years ago

Hi,
    Except the 8,9,10, the three other gates show the same measures high (blanking) high+low (second input), green with frequency (output). With cmos and mem settings.
    if you find it useful, I can buy an oscilloscope

#18 9 years ago

Checking the voltages with a DMM should provide the same info.

#19 9 years ago

As an aside, the Mem/Pulse switch on your probe represents "memory" and pulse. In Mem mode, a single pulse will cause the pulse LED to light and stay on. In Pulse mode, the pulse LED should flash for every logic transition leading edge.

As an example of use, if you wanted to know whether a switch activates intermittently while playing a game, you might use the "Mem" mode. If you're looking for a steady strobe or a clock, you would use the "Pulse" mode.

#20 9 years ago

Measures with DMM in all lamp test

8 - 0,71 Vdc
    9 - 0,54
    10 - 4,50
    11 - 0,32 Vdc
    12 - 0,54
    13 - 4,50
    1 - 0,54 Vdc
    2 - 4,50
    3 - 0,32

Rancegt. Thank you for the input. In my case I see no difference whatever the setting

#21 9 years ago

Thanks rancegt. I knew I couldn't type a post that long without messing something up.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Rancegt. Thank you for the input. In my case I see no difference whatever the setting

That makes me worry a little about your probe. In "Mem" mode, the pulse light should lock on almost every time you touch a circuit, regardless of the voltage.

#23 9 years ago

we have the same exception for the gate 8,9,10 with DMM as for the probe. Now is it normal or does it mean anything ?

#24 9 years ago

you might be right rancegt. There is a little green led above the mem position. I would expect this to be lit when the position is mem, or when the probe records a signal on mem position. But this led remains dark in every occasion

#25 9 years ago

Let's straighten out your logic here:

In
    9 - 0,54
    10 - 4,50
    Out
    8 - 0,71 Vdc

In
    12 - 0,54
    13 - 4,50
    Out
    11 - 0,32 Vdc

In
    1 - 0,54 Vdc
    2 - 4,50
    Out
    3 - 0,32

These are all AND gates, which means input one high AND input two high will create a high out. All other conditions will read low. All of these gates are reading as I would expect.

It seems as if the edge detection circuit in your logic probe is not working. I would suggest either have someone with more experience check it and see what they think, or replace it.

As for your problem, you may want to start a new thread with a "System 11 Lamp Matrix" title, and work through the problem that way.

#26 9 years ago

i do not have someone with more experience and that is why I opened the thread: to obtain more info. I will get a new probe.

If I open a new topic, do i explain my problem of lamps and nothing more ?

#27 9 years ago

That's a good starting point. The experienced System 11 guys will jump in and walk you through the steps for troubleshooting. In this thread you have a couple of guys who are comfortable with logic probes, but neither of us have a lot of System 11 experience.

#28 9 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I learned a lot even if it looks obvious for you.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

In this thread you have a couple of guys who are comfortable with logic probes, but neither of us have a lot of System 11 experience.

I agree on all points. Sounds like a flaky logic probe and a new post to get the system 11 guys involved would be great. Please provide a link here for rancegt and myself to follow along.

I would just describe the problem and go from there. Since the info from the logic probe is suspect I would ignore all readings you've gotten from it or the issue will just get confused again.

#30 9 years ago

Best not to test the lamp matrix with the machine in attract mode, especially when trying to compare the signal on one pin to another. The lamp matrix and associated logic gate circuitry is driving the lamp matrix according to the lamps that should be lit at that instant. Sometimes in attract mode, the entire lamp matrix goes dark and it is possible that an entire row or column is on or off which will appear to give you inconsistent readings. Better to test in "all lamp test" mode.

The simple way to verify if U52, U53 or any AND gate that is used to enable/disable based on the blanking signal is to: 1) verify the blanking input to the gate is high; 2) compare the other gate input signal to the gate output signal.

If your logic probe looks the same when probing the inputs and outputs, you can fairly safely move on and assume the gate is good.

If the signal is not the same, measure it again. If it is still not the same, check the circuitry (transistor in this case) after the gate to see if it pulled down (or up) the output and is effecting the gate's output or blown the gate's output. Use the diode test to check the transistor, in this case.

Measuring the voltage with a DMM on the inputs and outputs of the gates in the lamp matrix is not valid since these are pulsed signals. The duty cycle at the instant you measured the voltage will influence the measurement. You need to use a logic probe or o-scope.

Back to the original problem, what exactly are you trying to fix? Can we have a detailed description of the problem on your Jokerz? Is it one lamp not working or a whole row or column of lamps? Have you checked all the diodes in the row or column?

#31 9 years ago

As suggested above, I opened a new topic which describes the problem and summarizes the info I have so far.
    Thanks all and if you want to help further, here is the link

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-insert-lights-problem#post-2007249

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/understanding-logic-probe-results and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.