Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by roc-noc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just picked up a beautiful Congo from Eric Bundy. Can't say enough about that guy! He's great to deal with and advertises what he has with total accuracy. There aren't enough sellers like him, sadly.
Anyway, I picked up the Congo he was selling a few weeks ago. This was strictly going to be a filler game but after dialing it in, it will be a keeper. It's a title that doesn't come up too often so it isn't passe'. Funny thing is I bought one of these back when the movie came out and flipped it within a week. I hated the movie & didn't give the pin a chance. (I still HATE the movie, though) This is a fairly straightforward pin with a modest rule set, good colors and lots to look at on the playfield. Most of them that I've seen in recent years have pretty badly faded cabinet art. Anyone know of any mods/add ons for this title?
Again, props to Eric for a great deal!
Doc

#2 11 years ago

Congo gets enough love just because it says bally on the backbox. B/W don't need to be hyped up. If you want to look at underappreciated games, take a look at about 90% of DE's catalog. I do like congo's unique ruleset. If it was any other theme or unique theme, would have been an awesome game. Suffers the same way Shadow does. Tho, I like shadows theme and like the movie. Plus it's a kick ass game.

#3 11 years ago

Congo is a great game!! I think that it was an underrated game, but here lately it has been getting alot of attention... Love mine I searched for it for a couple years before I finally found 1. It won't be going anywhere soon!

As far as MODs go Look for this post (posted awhile back here on Pinside) http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-what-mods-have-you-done

Great game enjoy it!

Phoebe

#4 11 years ago

You can add some tasteful leds.......purple for the hippo pops looks cool. I added a large plastic diamond with a color changing led behind it looked cool.

#5 11 years ago

Congo is one of the best looking games with led's I have ever seen. I searched hard for mine for 7+ months before I found a super nice one with no fade and a perfect playfield. This game will never leave my collection. I disagree with most on the artwork and theme as I love both and think its an awesome looking and sounding game. The volcano shot kicks ass and the overall gameplay is fast and full of flow.

#6 11 years ago

Seems Congo is the opposite of underrated these days.

Gotta love that valcano shot though.

EDIT Horrible horrible movie for sure. Kill off Bruce Campbell in the first couple minutes, pshaw!

#7 11 years ago

One of my favourite layouts and a great sound package but let down I think by a slightly monotonous rulesheet.

#8 11 years ago

IF congo was Indiana Jones or some other "good" theme, it'd be 5K+ easily.
I'm glad that it isn't a good theme for many reasons and will be getting one someday.
Congo with my Shadow, lovin' it!

#9 11 years ago

Congo was written by Michael Crichton who had a series of great sci-fi books. Congo is one of them.

The movie has Bruce Campbell, Ernie Hudson, and Tim Curry - who just happend to be in The Shadow as well. It isn't a bad movie - I dare anyone to go back to the early 90's and find some that are better. Most films from that era did not age too well.

Indiana Jones? The first one was great, second one was so-so and the last two were turds.

#10 11 years ago

I will never understand how people can't separate the movie from the pin. Even though Congo was a cheesy movie, the pin is awesome. So just because the movie sucked you can't like the pin? Dumb.

#11 11 years ago

Congo is flat out fun love it! Glad to hear it all worked out for you enjoy!!

#12 11 years ago

I played this a week ago and i as well, walked away saying I want one.

#13 11 years ago

I really enjoy Congo. I'd love to own one!

I enjoy the way the game progresses naturally rather than via shot or mode completion like many other games. There are lots of cool things to achieve.

I also really like the creative use of diverters. There are a lot of shots and combos packed into the top half of the PF.

I'm a real sucker for rewarding rollovers and Congo has two. ZINJ inlanes light mystery and AMY rollovers start the cool Amy super award mode.

The mine search video mode is interesting when playing multiplayer due to the fact that other players watching can remember the position of the point awards. The locations only reset when someone reaches the end.

Cool super skill shot, too. Possibly my favourite of any game I've played that has them.

#14 11 years ago

Who cares that it is underrated? I don't really need another's approval to pick up and enjoy a pin. Don't care if someone calls it a turd. Congo is a really fun game.

And it was really nice to be able to pick one up for less than $2K.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/underrated-pinscongo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.