Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

george-costanza-seinfeld.gif
    Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 11.56.21 PM (resized).png
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-19589-1373244090-0.gif
    70b1d6ea-b895-4993-88cb-e8b68520584c_text.gif
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    74rmjg3i81i41 (resized).jpg
    dufue3sxxyw91 (resized).jpg
    20231202203552066_1.jpg
    20231202203544197_1.jpg
    20231202195034455_1.jpg
    20231202195011591_1.jpg
    20231202195044475_1.jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 months ago

Has anyone else been noticing underfilled cans in the last few months? Or am I just the lucky one? This is probably the worst one I encountered.
    20231202195011591_1.jpg20231202195011591_1.jpg20231202195034455_1.jpg20231202195034455_1.jpg20231202195044475_1.jpg20231202195044475_1.jpg

#2 7 months ago

More can liner issues here. Looks like the can is frozen, but it’s the liner that has separated from the can wall.

#3 7 months ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

More can liner issues here. Looks like the can is frozen, but it’s the liner that has separated from the can wall.

It's not frozen...I just had it in the fridge, so there's some condensation on it.

The can was like that when I originally put it in the fridge.

I don't understand what you mean by a liner in the can. Modern cans are just laquered aluminum, as far as I was aware.

#4 7 months ago

This! I had 3 totally sealed cans leak while in the fridge. Typically we have quite a few cans of different flavors stocked, and I went to grab a Pepsi, 3 of them were half empty, partially carbonated. Held them underwater and no signs of bubbles, so my best guess is the chemicals in the soda ate pinholes in the cans

Also happened to several cans of MTN Dew, oddly enough, the speciality flavors like cherry Dr Pepper and Spark MTN Dew are all totally fine.

#5 7 months ago

I have noticed underfilled burritos over the last couple years.

You could always pour it out and measure it and if it is short try complaining to upper management.

A can is one thing they can't shrink, and price hikes are too obvious, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are putting less in them now.

I mean if they are leaking into the fridge, that would be pretty obvious.

#6 7 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This! I had 3 totally sealed cans leak while in the fridge.

No leaks here. Nothing in the box before I put it in the fridge, no leaks inside the fridge, and if I squeeze the can, nothing seeps out. It's completely sealed.

#7 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No leaks here. Nothing in the box before I put it in the fridge, no leaks inside the fridge, and if I squeeze the can, nothing seeps out. It's completely sealed.

I could squeeze the problem cans as well with no leaks or anything. They still can develop nearly microscopic pinholes that creates an extremely slow leak. If you leave this can out for a day or two, see if there is any residue.

I’ve found that keeping the cans cold will delay this phenomena, but once back at room temperature, evidence of some sort of leak slowly appears.

#8 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have noticed underfilled burritos over the last couple years.
    You could always pour it out and measure it and if it is short try complaining to upper management.
    A can is one thing they can't shrink, and price hikes are too obvious, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are putting less in them now.

Its not all the cans, though. Maybe a few per box.

Underfilling them compromises their structural integrity, and would prevent them from being able to be stacked in shipping properly.

If they were hitting these cans with the grocery shrink ray, I imagine they would be filling the empty space with gas so they wouldn't collapse.

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Its not all the cans, though. Maybe a few per box.
    Underfilling them compromises their structural integrity, and would prevent them from being able to be stacked in shipping.
    If they were hitting these cans with the grocery shrink ray, I imagine they would be filling the empty space with gas so they wouldn't collapse.

Sounds more like they hired a new guy on the canning line that doesn’t care.

#11 7 months ago

Plastic liner in cans

That only proves there is a coating in the inside, not a liner that could separate on its own, or that it's plastic.

I've seen a video about a can factory making cans a number of years ago, and they just coat the aluminum in laquer after it's unrolled from the spool.

#12 7 months ago

I could squeeze the problem cans as well with no leaks or anything. They still can develop nearly microscopic pinholes that creates an extremely slow leak. If you leave this can out for a day or two, see if there is any residue.
    I’ve found that keeping the cans cold will delay this phenomena, but once back at room temperature, evidence of some sort of leak slowly appears.

It was at room temp for a weeks before it went in the fridge. I don't think there were any holes before it went in or after it came out.

I suspect it's a manufacturing issue, not a defect after the fact.

#13 7 months ago

I used to drink those Brisks like crazy. So refreshing. It was a hard habit to break, but gave up fructose sweetened drinks replacing real sugar. And mom told me aluminum wasn't good for me. So mostly glass bottles now.

Too bad sodas and non carbonated drinks made in USA mostly no longer use either.

#14 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I used to drink those Brisks like crazy. So refreshing. It was a hard habit to break, but gave up fructose sweetened drinks. And mom told me aluminum wasn't good for me. So mostly glass bottles now.
    Too bad sodas and non carbonated drinks no longer use either.

Those glass soda bottles from Mexico are supposedly "made with real cane sugar". At least, that's how they're advertised.

I heard about a study many years ago linking aluminum usage to altzheimer's, but I think it was eventually disproven. Otherwise, with all the aluminum we use, it would probably be a much more widespread issue than it actually is.

#15 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That only proves there is a coating in the inside, not a liner that could separate on its own, or that it's plastic.
    I've seen a video about a can factory making cans a number of years ago, and they just coat the aluminum in laquer after it's unrolled from the spool.

Oh, they separate on their own. Hence my first comment. Wife loves sour beers. Bought a few local micro brews and she opened one. Said it was frozen. Liner had completely separated from the can internally.

#16 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those glass soda bottles from Mexico are supposedly "made with real cane sugar"

And they are and almost everywhere else as well. It is the corn industry and subsidies that forced the USA into where we are now.

#17 7 months ago

Well, I just opened the can, poured it into a glass, and cut off the top of the can. Looks perfectly normal. No separation in the inside.

20231202203544197_1.jpg20231202203544197_1.jpg20231202203552066_1.jpg20231202203552066_1.jpg
    #18 7 months ago

I just want to say, y’all should be happy I didn’t steer this thread the way I wanted.

#19 7 months ago

Did you measure the liquid?

I do like your perseverance in trying to get to the bottom of this.

#20 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Did you measure the liquid?
    I do like your perseverance in trying to get to the bottom of this.

No, I already did a taste test, so that's out the window now

If I find another can like this, I'll try to remember to do that.

#21 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I heard about a study many years ago linking aluminum usage to altzheimer's, but I think it was eventually disproven. Otherwise, with all the aluminum we use, it would probably be a much more widespread issue than it actually is.

And ironic as mom was the one who warned me continued to use them in quantity and got Alzheimers and dementia. But she was well into her 90s so that could have happened anyway. I just like the taste out of glass bottles better.

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I just like the taste out of glass bottles better.

Me too. I'll occasionally have cream soda as a treat, and I'll always get glass bottles for those.

For brisk? Meh.

#23 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A can is one thing they can't shrink,...

Canned soda in most of the Caribbean is 333ml, about 11.25 ounces. The can is a tiny bit smaller. So much so, most people never notice it's 3/4 ounce less. Surprised they haven't tried bringing those here yet.

#24 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And ironic as mom was the one who warned me continued to use them in quantity and got Alzheimers and dementia. But she was well into her 90s so that could have happened anyway. I just like the taste out of glass bottles better.

See #4 here:

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/myths

#25 7 months ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

Canned soda in most of the Caribbean is 333ml, about 11.25 ounces. The can is a tiny bit smaller. So much so, most people never notice it's 3/4 ounce less. Surprised they haven't tried bringing those here yet.

I've seen cans from Hawaii...I'm not sure if the capacity is different (the photo below shows 12oz like on standard mainland US cans), but they are still using a 1980s design:

dufue3sxxyw91 (resized).jpgdufue3sxxyw91 (resized).jpg74rmjg3i81i41 (resized).jpg74rmjg3i81i41 (resized).jpg

From what I read, they're canning everything on the island at the same factory, and just never updated their canning equipment.

#26 7 months ago

I have seen the future.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #27 7 months ago

No underfilled cans at my house.

#28 7 months ago

I have had this phenomena in My Bud Light cans.Sometimes only 1 sometimes 2 or 3 at most out of 12 or 30 packs.
    Not sure if we can narrow it down to 1 company as it seems widespread.

#29 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen cans from Hawaii...I'm not sure if the capacity is different (the photo below shows 12oz like on standard mainland US cans), but they are still using a 1980s design:
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    From what I read, they're canning everything on the island at the same factory, and just never updated their canning equipment.

Those some baby hands.

#30 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I have had this phenomena in My Bud Light cans.Sometimes only 1 sometimes 2 or 3 at most out of 12 or 30 packs.

Leaving this one alone.

#31 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

No underfilled cans at my house.

I love overfull cans myself.

#32 7 months ago

A can of Brisk actually saved my life.

I had spent the night in Fort Bragg in northern Ca., skipped breakfast and decided to just cruise on down coast highway and have a leisurely lunch in Frisco.

As the winding cliff road over the Pacific kept getting higher, and I was sure I would fall into it, a turnoff appeared. So, I pulled in with dry mouth and no food in my belly. So, I looked into the cooler in the back of my truck and there was one Brisk still swimming in ice water. They could have made a commercial of that moment.

Obviously I lived.

#33 7 months ago
    70b1d6ea-b895-4993-88cb-e8b68520584c_text.gif70b1d6ea-b895-4993-88cb-e8b68520584c_text.gif
    #34 7 months ago

I’m retired and wish I had this kind of time.

#35 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I’m retired and wish I had this kind of time.

If it makes you feel any better, I found the can over a month and a half ago. It's taken me this long to take photos and post about it.

#36 7 months ago

Leaving this one alone.

You filthy animal

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19589-1373244090-0.gifanigif_enhanced-buzz-19589-1373244090-0.gif
    #37 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

You filthy animal
    [quoted image]

Dylan is calling you to explain.

#38 7 months ago

Those some baby hands.

Maybe a kid was holding it? I have no idea.

#39 7 months ago

Fun Fact-
    Cans are tapered in at the top because it saves money by using a smaller lid. Lid stock aluminum is more expensive than can stock aluminum when it comes to manufacturing. Some big brained engineer or accountant decided that tapering in the top of the can would save billions by using 10% or so less lid stock. As for the fears of aluminum being bad for you...the cans are coated with a super thin layer of some kind of barrier material (plastic?) inside them. It is probably bad for you too...lol.

#40 7 months ago

In high school we had a football teammate that everyone call the Crisco Kid because he was fat in the can.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#41 7 months ago

I don't know, how much liquid poured into a glass? Did you weight to see if the ounces checked out? Don't think I would accept the return without better proof.

#42 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I found the can over a month and a half ago.

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg
    #43 7 months ago

Bubly flavored water is my side chick to my usual sodastream sparking water I normally drink. Bubly has been overfilling their cans recently it seems. (Owned by pepsi)

#44 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Miller lite check out OK here

#45 7 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Bubly flavored water is my side chick to my usual sodastream sparking water I normally drink. Bubly has been overfilling their cans recently it seems. (Owned by pepsi)

Stealing from Peter to pay Paul?

#46 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Miller lite check out OK here

New Belgium Voodo Ranger Imperial IPA good here!

#47 7 months ago

I’ve had a few Minute Maid light lemonade be under filled. At first when I grabbed it I thought it must have had a leak. It it was sealed , but definitely not filled to capacity.

#48 7 months ago
    Quoted from topkat:

I’ve had a few Minute Maid light lemonade be under filled. At first when I grabbed it I thought it must have had a leak. It it was sealed , but definitely not filled to capacity.

You just forgot how much you drink and were getting woozy.

#49 7 months ago

I have a huge problem with all my beer cans being empty. Sometimes I cannot even remember how they got empty but feel like I know who did it…

#50 7 months ago

Are you watching your kids close enough?

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.