(Topic ID: 126267)

Under-playfield Wiring: Can I Use This?

By Carl_694

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 8 years ago

It would be considered a hack.

#3 8 years ago

If you don't care about the way it looks, yes it can be used.

#4 8 years ago

Is it really a "hack," or just not the original appearance? If it performs the same function I don't think it really matters that it's a different color. But if it's a big deal I won't use it.

#5 8 years ago

Electrically there is no reason it wouldn't work. 18 gauge is a bit thicker than the 20 normally used. Hard to beat the price though. 250 ft for $15 vs 100 ft for $50

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

Is it really a "hack," or just not the original appearance? If it performs the same function I don't think it really matters that it's a different color. But if it's a big deal I won't use it.

Functionally it will be fine, but the appearance will eliminate some buyers when you sell the game in the future. Others will point and laugh behind your back (just kidding), and you'll end up in the hacks thread (still kidding).

Since it won't be easily replaceable after the fact that will make it a bigger issue for many. Personally I would just use the proper product, but that's me.

If there's an electrical (not electronics) store near you they should carry ground braid. It may not be a perfect match, but should be closer visually. Also Ace, True Value, etc. are worth a shot.

#8 8 years ago

http://www.amateurradiosupplies.com/category-s/234.htm

The braid gives a nice, big, flat surface area that is good for a secure solder joint to other playfield components. Wire is thin, and the joint would be more likely to fail.

#10 8 years ago

Yeah, but $16 for 25 feet? Shirley, there's a reasonable substitute. That wire I linked was $3 for the same length.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/under-playfield-wiring-can-i-use-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.