004awedge socket (resized).jpg
003awedge socket (resized).jpg
001awedge socket (resized).jpg
p4 (resized).jpg
p3 (resized).jpg
p2 (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I am new to pinball repair. Please go easy on me if I am missing something obvious. My newly restored (not by me) 1982 Bally Speakeasy came to me with some LED bulb color choices I didn’t like. So I ordered some new bulbs that I do like. All of the under playfield lighting is the wedge style 555 led replacement bulbs. I changed out 10 bulbs. I had no problem with 9 of them. However, one was difficult to put the new bulb in the socket. The previous bulb worked as it should. My new bulb will not light when I finally got it in the socket. I think I damaged the socket. I am attaching photos to show what the socket now looks like. Any help in solving this would really be appreciated.

What I have eliminated as the problem:
Bulb is good in other sockets
It isn’t the solder point of the main wire, I disconnected it, stripped the wire and wrapped it around the connector. I will resolver later.
The diode wire is working on the other lights connecting directly after the failing light.

p1 (resized).jpgp1 (resized).jpg

p2 (resized).jpgp2 (resized).jpg

p3 (resized).jpgp3 (resized).jpg

p4 (resized).jpgp4 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Looks like the contact may be spread and not making contact. Use your volt meter and check to make sure you have power. If you can't bend the contacts and you have power you can replace the socket.

#3 6 years ago

Like Travish says, you need to close the gap on the socket pincers. Not too much, though, or it'll be nigh impossible to get a lamp back in there.

001awedge socket (resized).jpg001awedge socket (resized).jpg

Make some continuity tests: From point A to point A, and B to point B should both emit continuity beep.

003awedge socket (resized).jpg003awedge socket (resized).jpg

Annnd is this wire soldered, or just wrapped?

004awedge socket (resized).jpg004awedge socket (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Did you try putting the bulb in the other direction. Some games require the bulb to be polarity sensitive. And you may have just got lucky putting in the other bulbs. But check continuity from the socket pins to the wires first.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks to all 2. I am going to go now and try what you suggested.

#6 6 years ago

Bally illumination circuits (switched or general) are all A/C. Polarity does not matter.

Shawn

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Bally illumination circuits (switched or general) are all A/C. Polarity does not matter.
Shawn

That's not a GI lamp...it's under an insert.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

.it's under an insert.

Yep. That's the "switched" part.

#9 6 years ago

The volt test was successful. Trying to adjust the socket contacts was not. So, I guess the next step is too replace the socket. Can the bad one be sepperated from the mount? Or do I need to buy it already connected to a mount and replace the whole thing?

I have serched the web for the socket I have now. I can not find it. Can anyone recommend a specific replacement?

Thanks

#10 6 years ago

Measure the distance from arrow to arrow (from bend to bend). That is the socket to order. For example 1" wedge base (555 lamp) socket. Sockets come with the mounting flanges attached. The mounting flange's length is the important part.

wedge socket (resized).jpgwedge socket (resized).jpg

Mk1Mod0: I did not know Bally used AC power for feature lights.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Measure the distance from arrow to arrow (from bend to bend). That is the socket to order. For example 1" wedge base (555 lamp) socket. Sockets come with the mounting flanges attached. The mounting flange's length is the important part.

Mk1Mod0: I did not know Bally used AC power for feature lights.

Thank you!

#12 6 years ago

555 led's were a bitch to put in my 81 Fireball 2. The bulbs were way tighter than the normal ones they replaced.

#13 6 years ago

Cody Chunn is right, I was wrong. The switched illumination is dc. Apologies for any confusion.

Shawn

7 months later
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jmorrow7:

The volt test was successful. Trying to adjust the socket contacts was not. So, I guess the next step is too replace the socket. Can the bad one be sepperated from the mount? Or do I need to buy it already connected to a mount and replace the whole thing?
I have serched the web for the socket I have now. I can not find it. Can anyone recommend a specific replacement?
Thanks

Did you ever find a source for the sockets ?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Shawn

The feature lamps are DC volts so depending on if your LED lamps are rectified internally or not will determine if there is polarity concerns when used for feature lamps.

Quoted from FelixTCat:

Did you ever find a source for the sockets ?

Marco should have what you need or close enough.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5029-00

Using a 555 wedge socket is not mandatory. In bally games like this I have use 44 style bulbs and sockets as a replacement for a broken wedge style lamp socket.

3 years later
#16 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The feature lamps are DC volts so depending on if your LED lamps are rectified internally or not will determine if there is polarity concerns when used for feature lamps.

Marco should have what you need or close enough.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5029-00
Using a 555 wedge socket is not mandatory. In bally games like this I have use 44 style bulbs and sockets as a replacement for a broken wedge style lamp socket.

Where does the Diode attach in this bayonet style base?

Bayonet Base (resized).jpgBayonet Base (resized).jpg
#17 2 years ago

casher2006

It appears you want a socket with 3 terminals, I think this is what you're looking for: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-19A

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/under-playfield-light-socket-555-wedge-issue-bally-1982?hl=jmorrow7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.