Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TaTa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Apparently MM-remakes will use uncompressed audio files.
I was wondering, whether a mod could be developed for the regular
MM:s to use such audio-files e.g. via the use of a Raspberry Pie or similar?

I am also looking forward any mods for MM-remakes in the hopes that they
would be available also for original MM:s (e.g. better side-art than available today
etc.)

#2 10 years ago

I'm sure it could be done. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, Rick does to protect that stuff as far as possible encryption and such. But even if he did *that*, sampling them and getting something MUCH better than the compressed audio now would work, so it probably isn't worth bothering with.

It certainly wouldn't be legal to distribute those new sound files, however.

That said, it sounds like Rick is strongly considering making a backbox upgrade system to let owners of original games upgrade to his CPU and audio (and video?) system, so this may happen in legitimate form. There's no way it'll be as cheap as an upgrade that JUST did sound could be, however, and you'll then be running emulated code on your original machine (which remains to be seen how well that works, but it's possible it's very very good).

--Donnie

#3 10 years ago

Many of the uncompressed sound files were posted/available on the Internet back in 2003. Here is one that I just uploaded:

http://home.comcast.net/~pinsarefun/this-is-like.wav

If they use all the original uncompressed wav files the sound should be much improved!

--Terry

#4 10 years ago

It sure would be really nice to get a kit that only did sound as gameplay-wise original is original

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Not sure I follow.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Many of the uncompressed sound files were posted/available on the Internet back in 2003. Here is one that I just uploaded:
If they use all the original uncompressed wav files the sound should be much improved!
--Terry

Yeah, one of the lists is here: http://robertwinter.com/pinball/mm/official/mm_sounds.html

#7 10 years ago

Removed

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Not sure I follow.

Unless one were to license those sound files from Rick or WMS, it wouldn't be a legal modification to distribute. It's copyright protected material.

So yes, an official licensed modification could be done. But any grassroots effort would be wasted unless WMS was so kind as to make those files freely available. Or people wanted to pirate it. Which isn't cool.

--Donnie

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

--Terry

Many? I only saw a handful on the old Williams page. Complete lists please?

#10 10 years ago

So PPS said MMr will look just like the original, except that it won't, it will sound just like the original, except it won't, and it will play just like the original, which we don't know. Nothing against MMr, and I hope it does well so more games can be made. It seems to have gone from no one will be able to tell the difference, to its different but better.

#11 10 years ago

Audio is the same. Quality is irrelevant. Looks the same they just can't use the Williams logo. Plays the same according to a PAPA champion. Your point...?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

So PPS said MMr will look just like the original, except that it won't, it will sound just like the original, except it won't, and it will play just like the original, which we don't know. Nothing against MMr, and I hope it does well so more games can be made. It seems to have gone from no one will be able to tell the difference, to its different but better.

sure sounds like you have something against MMR.

#13 10 years ago

Just another butthurt MM owner.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Audio is the same. Quality is irrelevant. Looks the same they just can't use the Williams logo. Plays the same according to a PAPA champion. Your point...?

point is audio is not the same, nor is the looks, we don't know about the gameplay. what we do know is PPS said Josh talked to them about issues, so the PAPA champ line is wrong.

As I stated I hope is does well. if it does maybe I'll get one of the other remakes if its a title I want. Juts that the initial claims of "identical" have changed. Hell, extra clearing compared to an original *will* change how the game plays. Granted not many people now know how an original plays since most are either beat or restored. I have games in my personal collection that I cleared and I know they play completely different form before they were cleared.

No butt hurt at all, hoping they can do CV down the line, MB wouldn't be bad either at the right price.

#15 10 years ago

Ha! You actually used "remake" and "identical" in the same sentence. Nobody has ever said they were going to be identical, except maybe you

Last I checked, the initial claims (the expo presentation) detailed the new board set, logo differences, LEDs etc.

Quoted from calvin12:

As I stated I hope is does well. if it does maybe I'll get one of the other remakes if its a title I want. Juts that the initial claims of "identical" have changed.

#16 10 years ago

it's no coincidence that the only people who are going to complain about the sound being better than the original are owners of the original.

#17 10 years ago

who complained about the audio being better? I just stated it's different.

It was stated that the goal was that someone walking up and playing MMr wouldn't know the difference between it and an original. There are more than enough differences that it will be obvious when walking up to the game which is which.

Again, hope it does well, hope they make more games, and ones I want to have. it'll be great if they do.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

it will sound like the original, except it won't

man if that isn't complaining about it sounding better than the original, I don't know what is. don't beat around the bush - you don't like the remake. stop pretending you are on the fence or open to buying one someday.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

It was stated that the goal was that someone walking up and playing MMr wouldn't know the difference between it and an original.

Really? Where was that stated? Since it will be obvious to anyone with even a cursory glance that's got the PPS logo and not the Williams logo I doubt that was actually the goal.

#20 10 years ago

This should be good.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

man if that isn't complaining about it sounding better than the original, I don't know what is. don't beat around the bush - you don't like the remake. stop pretending you are on the fence or open to buying one someday.

It's fact, no a complaint. what part of I'm on board for other titles do you not get, do you actulay have reading comprehension skills?

#23 10 years ago

I seriously laughed at this. ANOTHER person is a victim of Pez's horrible reading comprehension

#24 10 years ago

it sure sounds like a complaint to me. if indeed you approve of the use of uncompressed audio in MMR, you have an extremely weird way of expressing appreciation that sounds an awful lot like whining.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I seriously laughed at this. ANOTHER person is a victim of Pez's horrible reading comprehension

i read just fine, bucko. when an MM owner starts whining about the fact that MMR will have higher quality audio than the original, how is that not a complaint? looking forward to fully comprehending your reply.

#26 10 years ago

Hey Pez, why don't you worry less about what other people think... stop trying to get into their heads? You're failing miserably at comprehending people's opinion on this remake and your constant accusations just make you look like a fool.

It is very, very possible to be "for" the remake, yet have legitimate questions about the process and end result. The guys asking the questions have likely been around a lot longer than you.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it sure sounds like a complaint to me. if indeed you approve of the use of uncompressed audio in MMR, you have an extremely weird way of expressing appreciation that sounds an awful lot like whining.

Well you are reading, not hearing anything. A written complaint would likely have been along the lines of "why aren't they using the compressed sound, it's better. I am unhappy about the use of uncompressed sound. I prefer compressed sound" etc.
None of that was stated.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i read just fine, bucko. when an MM owner starts whining about the fact that MMR will have higher quality audio than the original, how is that not a complaint? looking forward to fully comprehending your reply.

You're the same moron who claimed I was trying to harm the project, only to find out we have an MMr on order.

And no, moron is not name-calling. In this instance, it is an accurate term. You really are typing without thinking.

"it will sound like the original, except it won't" is not whining. It is stating that the voices and sounds will be the same, except reproduced with better clarity and dynamic range.

You really need to get some help, "bucko"

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

never was a whine written by me on this topic. I hope you don't work in customer service, since you really don't know the difference between a statement of fact made w/o any statement of opinion and whining and complaining.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Hey Pez, why don't you worry less about what other people think... stop trying to get into their heads? You're failing miserably at comprehending people's opinion on this remake and your constant accusations just make you look like a fool.
It is very, very possible to be "for" the remake, yet have legitimate questions about the process and end result. The guys asking the questions have likely been around a lot longer than you.

i may be pretty new to the hobby, but i didn't see calvin12 asking any questions. i saw yet another off-topic post from a MM owner whining about MMR. now you guys are pretending he wasn't even complaining, which is a pretty absurd position to stake out.

#31 10 years ago

I like pie!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

never was a whine written by me on this topic. I hope you don't work in customer service, since you really don't know the difference between a statement of fact made w/o any statement of opinion and whining and complaining.

it is weird to me that you seem to think a complaint and a fact are mutually exclusive. is english your first language?

but hey we can clear this up: do you approve or disapprove of MMR using higher-quality audio than the original? the tone of your original post made it sound like you had a problem with it, and i can't be the only person who interpreted it that way. but if you in fact are in favor of the higher quality audio on MMR, by all means say so, and we can call it a simple misunderstanding.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i may be pretty new to the hobby, but i didn't see calvin12 asking any questions. i saw yet another off-topic post from a MM owner whining about MMR. now you guys are pretending he wasn't even complaining, which is a pretty absurd position to stake out.

far less absurd than your position that there was a complaint/whine made at all.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it is weird to me that you seem to think a complaint and a fact are mutually exclusive. is english your first language?
but hey we can clear this up: do you approve or disapprove of MMR using higher-quality audio than the original? the tone of your original post made it sound like you had a problem with it, and i can't be the only person who interpreted it that way. but if you in fact are in favor of the higher quality audio on MMR, by all means say so, and we call it a simple misunderstanding.

I'm fine with them using whatever sells the most so they can continue to make games. If/when they make a game I want I'll look into getting one. Not sure how the post stating I'm for them doing this and I hope it a success is a complaint to anyone who can read. It really seems you *are* pretty much the only person who took it that way.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I'm fine with them using whatever sells the most so they can continue to make games. If/when they make a game I want I'll look into getting one. Not sure how the post stating I'm for them doing this and I hope it a success is a complaint to anyone who can read. It really seems you *are* pretty much the only person who took it that way.

haha ok let's review: here is that original post describing how fine you are with MMR's use of better sound and how eager you are to look into getting one:

Quoted from calvin12:

(also i can't speak for aurich or crash, but judging by their responses they seemed to take your post as a less than glowing appraisal as well)

#36 10 years ago

Okay guys can we just put an end to this back and forth. Doesn't seem like you all will ever be on the same page regarding this so can we just let it go please.

#37 10 years ago

Opinions are like assholes. Everbody has one. Now assholes on the other hand can't handle someones opinion that is not their own.

#38 10 years ago

I think it's hilarious that Pez has elected himself judge and jury, is dissecting people's posts, and then demanding further explanations if he's not happy with whatever he decided. This here:

Quoted from pezpunk:

the tone of your original post made it sound like you had a problem with it, and i can't be the only person who interpreted it that way. but if you in fact are in favor of the higher quality audio on MMR, by all means say so, and we can call it a simple misunderstanding.

is so incredibly condescending, it crosses into serious LOL territory

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I think it's hilarious that Pez has elected himself judge and jury, is dissecting people's posts, and then demanding further explanations if he's not happy with whatever he decided. This here:

is so incredibly condescending, it crosses into serious LOL territory

Please just let it go we don't need to get into the whole strung out negative back and forth routine here.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

No butt hurt at all

It sure comes off as butt-rip.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

haha ok let's review: here is that original post describing how fine you are with MMR's use of better sound and how eager you are to look into getting one:

I hope it does well so more games can be made.

(also i can't speak for aurich or crash, but judging by their responses they seemed to take your post as a less than glowing appraisal as well)

Yes, that there is some harsh criticism. It is so clear I don't want it to do well based on the fact I stated I hope that it does well in the initial post.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It sure comes off as butt-rip.

Nah, that's after taco bell or white castle.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Nah, that's after taco bell or white castle.

Sure can't argue with that !

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

It's fact, no a complaint. what part of I'm on board for other titles do you not get, do you actulay have reading comprehension skills?

You spelled "actually " wrong

#45 10 years ago

And "no a complaint."

#46 10 years ago

So ... maybe it's the afternoon and folks have alot of time debating minutia ... but here is the philosophy:

a) We will make the game play the 'same' as the original game - as close to the spirit of 'same' as we can.
b) We will make the game look as close to the original game (from the outside) with the exception of where we have to change legal statements, dates, copyrights, logo's, etc.
c) If we can improve and make better we will and will have full blessing from WMS as well as take the pulse of our customers and do what we believe will increase the value of the game.
d) Nowhere did I say that it will sound exactly the same (sound <> look)

You bet where we can we will improve but not the game play and not the original look of the game ... we will improve (in our view) the sound, the display, the construction, the electronics, etc.

[email protected]

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

I'm sure it could be done. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, Rick does to protect that stuff as far as possible encryption and such. But even if he did *that*, sampling them and getting something MUCH better than the compressed audio now would work, so it probably isn't worth bothering with.
That said, it sounds like Rick is strongly considering making a backbox upgrade system to let owners of original games upgrade to his CPU and audio (and video?) system, so this may happen in legitimate form. There's no way it'll be as cheap as an upgrade that JUST did sound could be, however, and you'll then be running emulated code on your original machine (which remains to be seen how well that works, but it's possible it's very very good).
--Donnie

Listen to what Donnie says

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Listen to what Donnie says

thats.... interesting.

#49 10 years ago

It wouldn't be too hard at all to make an upgrade kit. If Rick colorizes MMR, he could sell that as well - the kit would simply replace the existing WPC95 A/V board with a new controller/amp with code plus dmd and sound data, and the plasma display with a color LCD, just like colordmd. Plug the ribbons and power onto the controller, hook up the speaker connectors and poof, hi-def MM He'd likely sell a bunch (and free up some spare WPC95 A/V boards in the process)

#50 10 years ago

It's the pre-dcs games we really need the kit for. WH20 and TZ especially. Though, IJ, STTNG, lots of great music in these games, I'd love upgraded audio kits.

Though between you and me, I'd rather see all the focus and attention be put on MM14 and that ship before anything else.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uncompressed-sounds-for-original-mms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.