(Topic ID: 19239)

Uncle Pennybags comes home - HUO Monopoly scored!

By EchoVictor

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by bemmett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0979.JPG
100_0980.JPG
100_0977.JPG

#1 11 years ago

Sometimes, the good Lord just smiles upon you and drops something in your lap.

Last Thursday, I got an e-mail from a friend that he had a contact of someone looking to get rid of a Stern Monopoly. Only details I got was that they'd owned it for a few years, but now just wanted rid of it.

So I call them up, and sure enough, they said they were just wanting to get it out of their garage, and the price they were asking was verrrry reasonable. It was then that I get the sounds-too-good-to-be-true news...."We bought it brand new about 6 or 7 years ago."

I then begin to think to myself that something's not right here. Monopoly is a 2001 title, so either they don't remember when they got it, or they bought it from a reatiler who sold them a routed game that was shopped out and passed off as new. The big problem? To check this whole thing out required a 3.5 hour drive each way.

But, given the great price and the chance that it was HUO, I had to take a shot. So yesterday I load up the kids and borrow a friend's truck and it's off I go.

I get to the folks' house and there it sits in the garage. Walking up, I can already tell that it looks in pristine condition. The cabinet looks perfect. Not a blemish on it. Then comes the funky part. The playfield is totally covered in black grime. Looks like Uncle Pennybags has a severe case of blackhead acne. Worse, I go into test mode and pop out a ball, and it looks like a black marble instead of a beautiful silver sphere. Ewwwwww!

But, like a diamond in the rough, I can tell that everything's here. The ramps are mostly clear and no cracks, just like the plastics. The only physical issues are minor switch repairs I can easily handle. Then comes the best part. The owner comes out and shows me they've found the original paperwork. Build sticker on the machine shows a manufacture date of 12/10/2001. Sales receipt shows a purchase date of 1/4/2002. Yeah, it's totally HUO. Score!!!

Up in the truck it went, and home it came. Now, completely unexpectedly, there's a Monopoly at my place!

I love this hobby!

Later,
EV

100_0977.JPG100_0977.JPG 100_0980.JPG100_0980.JPG 100_0979.JPG100_0979.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Cool! Congrats Eric, I like that pin.

You're building a pretty sweet collection.

#3 11 years ago

It looks nice. I have never seen that game in person.

#4 11 years ago

Congrats! as another owner - I would recommend that check your fuses (yes we all know to do that right) I was so excited to play it that I forgot to do so. The multi ball often kills a fuse and people love to just go up a level until it stops right? A new coil was suggested to stop this - I would do the upgrade if you have more then one games running on the same circuit. Board caught on fire when I had a few games on because of the wrong fuse, and the factory coil that was a poor choice.

If the speaker hum bothers you a few resistors will do the trick on the sound board, I went way up in value until it was to my enjoyment.

Also you might notice when playing the first game the ball gets stuck in the first VUK until it kicks out after several attempts - its a software thing it will happen every time. Just figured if you ran into these it might save you some time!

Also there are a few other service bulletins on this game that I would suggest you do to avoid problems in the future. Also put a stealth mylar under the Railroad exit it will get damaged quickly with out the protection of the dirt.

Enjoy the game - and yes you can also own it all!

#5 11 years ago

Sounds like typical neglected HOU. Those can be the best kind especially with non pinhead owners. I know exactly the layer of dirt you speak of, congrats.

#6 11 years ago

I didn't know uncle pennybags was his name. Congrats.

#7 11 years ago

Nice score! I think Monopoly is a pretty fun game. Congrats!

#8 11 years ago

#9 11 years ago

fun game congrats on the grab

#10 11 years ago

Nice find. I need more time on this game. Cool gimmicks.

#11 11 years ago

Congratulations.
After shopping it ll be as new again.

#13 11 years ago

Congrats on a good score, Monopoly was a major step forward for Stern when it came out.

#14 11 years ago

Nice score.

#15 11 years ago

Hey all,

thanks for the well wishes. I'm quite excited, and so is my 12-yr old daughter. She likes the idea of one of our pins being more "her style".

Quoted from coz6:

The multi ball often kills a fuse and people love to just go up a level until it stops right? A new coil was suggested to stop this - I would do the upgrade if you have more then one games running on the same circuit. Board caught on fire when I had a few games on because of the wrong fuse, and the factory coil that was a poor choice.

Coz,

could you please elaborate on this? When I got the game, aside from a bit of battery leakage (that thankfully didn't touch the board), everything else inside the backbox looked good. What coil/fuse is it that I should be looking out for?

Thanks,
EV

#16 11 years ago

Go to http://www.sternpinball.com/ServiceBulletins.shtml#01

Your looking for the service bulletins in 2001, 2002 & 2003. They had a few issues with the original way they put the wires in. So if you got a neglected HUO game a few things need to be done is my guess.

The fuse that could be over fused is at location F21, and they reference the coil in that service bulletin is Q2 - also they fixed a bunch of stuff in in version 3.01 / 3.03 if your not running the latest software I would recommend you do so (they resolve the rotating flipper not pushing out the ball even when you have replaced the rubber in the mechanism.

#17 11 years ago

Got it. Service bulletin #139 explains it all. I'm running software 2.51/2.06, so I'll be sure to upgrade. Thanks for the tips!

Later,
EV

#18 11 years ago

CONGRATS DUDE!!!!!!!!

Awesome score bro!!!

If I get out your way again for work then it's on! I'm buying Boardwalk!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Sometimes, the good Lord just smiles upon you and drops something in your lap.

Nice one EV! If you saw my reply to that email I had JUST picked up my RBION or I would have been all over that deal! I ws actually really sad that i couldn't grab it. I think it's a great game and have had tons of fun playing it.

How bad is the PF after cleaning it? Just tell me if you need to borrow my Treasure Cove kit. Did wonders on my NF PF that just had a black "hue" over the whole thing...no Novus even made a dent in it.

#20 11 years ago

Rob,

the playfield picture above is after just 10 minutes with a rag and some Novus 2. I knew that she'd clean up nice when I looked at it at the seller's, as a little spit shine showed that the playfield was fine underneath. A simple tear down and shop job will make her good as new.

If you're ever in the mood to give it a few plays, feel free to give me a buzz and stop on by!

Later,
EV

#23 11 years ago

Congrats EV, that sounds like an exciting trip, especially with the family. The thrill of the hunt! Amazing how easily some playfields clean up...

#24 11 years ago

I just picked up a Monopoly recently, seemed like it was lacking something so i spent some time on this topper. I'll be selling these soon. Lmk if interested.

#25 11 years ago

A pic would have helped....

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

A pic would have helped....

and would still help, lets see it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uncle-pennybags-comes-home-huo-monopoly-scored and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.