Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5285 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5001 (resized).JPG
    4D819A58-3DBA-405B-A348-34C8903C7C80 (resized).jpeg
    4CD5B0B0-11FC-4EBA-8882-EF9B90AB9FCE (resized).jpeg
    HASP (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    C11508A2-67EF-4527-88CB-E8C9B878C878 (resized).jpeg
    There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

my boss was right behind me when I clicked on the link...……. lol

My ulterior motive realized...

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Maybe they own a few pins and the keys are the same? How many varieties of stern keys are there?

I'm but one data point, but I have a ST and MET bought two years apart from different distros that have the same coin door and backglass keys.

It would be interesting to take a couple of keys to a location and try them on some of the games to get a better idea, but that would be supremely poor form and not worth the awkward discussion which would no doubt follow if caught!

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

not worth the awkward discussion which would no doubt follow if caught!

Or the awkward arrest.

LTG : )

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

So they opened one pin and not pins as first stated

Yeah. I’m out of state and been out of state, I had to summarize what I was being told. I didn’t lay out every detail word for word. I do know the offender, he is a great guy and had been drinking (still no excuse for his actions). That how I can say is was a harmless mistake. Does it matter if it’s one pin or all the pins? No, it doesn't. Point is, I found out what I needed, confessions were made, lines drawn, the matter is all cleared up and I need new locks.

I do appreciate all the input and information of this thread. Pinball really is a small community and a great one at that.

#105 4 years ago

Nothing like being sent out to a location (bowling alley) that was broken into and all the games broken into. This was before Home Depot etc. Pinball cabinet bottoms torn off, Asteroids front doors with hasps crowbarred apart, some pins with small hasp doors destroyed. Had to splice wood together to keep a couple games on-site and had a truck come out to get the rest and bring a couple more from the shop over. Kinda wished that they just had the keys and opened the doors to get the cash.

Had many instances of this when I worked for an operator.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Nothing like being sent out to a location (bowling alley) that was broken into and all the games broken into. This was before Home Depot etc. Pinball cabinet bottoms torn off, Asteroids front doors with hasps crowbarred apart, some pins with small hasp doors destroyed. Had to splice wood together to keep a couple games on-site and had a truck come out to get the rest and bring a couple more from the shop over. Kinda wished that they just had the keys and opened the doors to get the cash.
    Had many instances of this when I worked for an operator.

I hear you, my view is locks keep honest people honest. No amount of security is going to keep someone out who really wants in. In other words, the harder it is to get into it, the more damage it’s going to sustain.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

The operator of the games at our league location uses Tubular Cam Locks for his games. I don't think you'll find many people with matching keys. This might not be the right one for a pinball machine, but it gives you an idea of the type of lock.
    amazon.com link »

The only problem with tubular locks is they are insanely easy to pick... guess it's the same thing with most wafer locks.
    Done it myself dozens of times.
    I was actually considering going with medeco, but holy they crap are they expensive.

Chances of people actually buying a pick to open a pinball machine are pretty damn slim though. Other items maybe.
    Seems like they are just as likely to use a crow bar or steal the whole machine.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

The only problem with tubular locks is they are insanely easy to pick... guess it's the same thing with most wafer locks.
    Done it myself dozens of times.
    I was actually considering going with medeco, but holy they crap are they expensive.

Chances of people actually buying a pick to open a pinball machine are pretty damn slim though. Other items maybe.
    Seems like they are just as likely to use a crow bar or steal the whole machine.

The Chinese knock-offs of Chicago Ace and Fort tubular locks are quickly picked with a tubular pick like the one shown. I have an HPC-gruber tubular pick that is over forty years old. The good tubular locks have tight tolerances and spool/setback pins that trick those picks. They're not pick proof, but a ten-30 second pick job can take several minutes. Precious time for a thief.

The one US brand tubular lock that I found easy to pick are the American Lock (Junkunc Bros.) T-900/901 padlock cylinders. Most behave like in that video.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The Chinese knock-offs of Chicago Ace and Fort tubular locks are quickly picked with a tubular pick like the one shown. I have an HPC puck that is over forty years old. The good tubular locks have tight tolerances and spool/setback pins that trick those picks. They're not pick proof, but a ten-30 second pick job can take several minutes. Precious time for a thief.
    The one US brand tubular lock that I found easy to pick are the American Lock (Junkunc Bros.) T-900/901 padlock cylinders. Most behave like in that video.

I know you can find most locks, like medeco and other better brands with security pins. Most, including myself just go with the cheaper alternative... Guess it's kind of like insurance. you know it's probably a good idea, but the upfront cost makes it less appealing. I'm probably going to bite the bullet sooner then later.

After you've seen, heard and experienced enough theft it starts to make you paranoid.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

I've seen your picture. You're more of an Art from Night Court.

I was thinking more like Sloth from the Goonies.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

The operator of the games at our league location uses Tubular Cam Locks for his games. I don't think you'll find many people with matching keys. This might not be the right one for a pinball machine, but it gives you an idea of the type of lock.
    amazon.com link »

I have one of those on my key ring to service our vending machines at work. I have no idea if it works on a pinball machine with that kind of lock.

I bought pins with the keyless locks before. The first thing I did was replace them with keyed locks....and mine are in my own home set to freeplay.

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unauthorized-access-/page/3?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.